Defense - and who's to blame

TraderGary

Reaction score
Because we don't have enough threads discussing our porous defense........

I hear everyone talking about what a terrible DC Ken Norton is and should be replaced ASAP, and I wholeheartedly agree. If you look at our personnel, even without a pass rush, we should not be anywhere near a last place defense, and one of the worst in modern history. We have a lot of talent at LB and in the secondary (minus Flowers of course who's a disaster). It's all about coaching and extremely poor and ineffective schemes, along with a failure to make adjustments on the fly. That points directly at the DC. But I believe the root of the problem goes much deeper than that.

I like Pete Carroll. I think he's a great motivator, a great leader, a good person, and I like the energy he brings to the team. But strictly as an X's and O's coach, I think he's sorely lacking and has been riding Wilson's coattails for years. He's consistently getting outcoached on game days but it's being masked by a great QB pulling out games in the final minutes. (Yes I know Wilson didn't have a very good game last night which actually makes my point even more valid).

I fully expect to get raked over the coals for this statement, but I think Carroll is overrated as a HC and if he didn't have a QB like Wilson, I think he would be a .500 coach at best. His philosophies and schemes are ridiculously bad at times, and outdated. I don't think there's another team in the league that plays a softer zone than we do. Even Cris Collinsworth was surprised at some of the things we were doing on defense late in the game last night when the game was on the line.

As a prime example, who plays soft zone prevent defense and has the corners playing 10 yards of the LOS when all the opposing team needs is a FG to tie or win the game? We saw that on 3 different occasions in the last few minutes of the game last night. And this happens consistently, week in and week out. How can anyone in their right mind think that's an effective strategy and is going to stop anyone? It just makes me want to look him squarely in the eyes and say "what the hell are you thinking"?

This is also why I think we saw such a dejected Bobby Wagner in his press conference last night. Never seen him like that. The great Bobby Wagner looked absolutely defeated. I believe it's because he knows, along with every other member of that defense, that they are powerless to fix the issues they're having on that side of the ball because frankly the schemes are completely effed up. I think they're mentally defeated because of it. I also think it's why players like Diggs who was so great last year hasn't been as effective. They've lost confidence in this coaching staff, at least on the defensive side of the ball, and who can blame them?

So would replacing Norton really change anything when they would still be running PC's philosophies and schemes? It's a question worth asking and I would be interested in hearing others opinions on this. I think it would have to be someone with a backbone who wouldn't be afraid to get in Pete's face and point out the shortcomings of his tired defensive strategies and schemes.