Why doesn't Russ throw over the middle ?

Chawker

Reaction score
Its rarely he throws over the middle and when he does, it after the receiver has cleared the O line. The only time I remember him throw a slant was that super bowl loss. I just don't understand why he doesn't untilize this area more.

Other QBs do it. Why ... ???

Momofantv

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1c0v6aa8 said:
Too short?
Like your memory. He throws over the middle multiple times every game we play.

I don’t have the stats but it’s based off feels we use the middle a lot less than the best teams in the NFL I don’t remember the last time I saw a slant to DK or a TE

Lawke

Reaction score
It feels like recently theres been alot more just straight up deep shots, but i could have sworn that one of DKs two catches was a short route across the middle that he converted a 3rd down on wasnt it?

Somos doces

Reaction score
Interesting question. The knee-jerk answer is obviously he's not tall enough to see receivers who are open in the short middle, so his Offensive Coordinators have avoided calling plays that require him to throw into that zone.

I sought out stats that would show his number of career passes into the various zones, but was unable to locate anything like that. Instead, I found a handful of sites that reveal RW's overall passing success in different parts of the field, mainly since 2017 (apparently the recording of these statistics is rather new).

From these charts I think it's fairly obvious he does not complete as many passes in the middle as elsewhere on the field. That seems to be a good reason for him to avoid these throws, but the reason he finds less success there is still somewhat of a mystery (unless you factor in his relative lack of height, and thus his unfortunate inability to see over the taller personnel bunched up directly in front of him).