I guarantee our D will be Top 20 the 2nd half of the season

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Ok, so our Defense is in the doghouse and fans are jumping off the cliff claiming our season is doomed. We know we are giving up an ungodly amount of yards per game, currently #32 in the league. Besides the Cardinals game they have found a way to come through in the end and make some big stops helping us to a 5-1 #1 in the NFC West Record. Our PPG is a much more important stat and we are currently #23.

We have not had our full deck these first 7 games. The fact Ken Norton Jr is still the DC is almost like playing with one hand tied behind our back. Not to mention how these unexpected events have impacted our continuity and performance.
- Jamal Adams injury
- Marquis Blair season ending injury
- Bruce Irvin season ending injury
- Dunbar missing offseason work slowing adaption to our Defense.
- Rasheem Green Injury
- Clowney spurning us for Tennessee
- Jordyn Brooks injury

I see the light! I trust in Pete and by week 9 we should see a arsenal of new starters and improvements to key backups on the field.

1. Jamal Adams - Tone Setter and bring the attitude we need
2. Carlos Dunlap - Veteran who has maintaine success and has a chip on his shoulders
3. Snacks Harrison - A Veteran who if/when he is on his game is an Elite run stuffer and disrupter
4. Rasheem Green - Our leading sacker from last year and solid rotation guy.
5. Mychal Kendricks - Better than Barton, great depth for Bobby and KJ, can rush the passer
6. Lano Hill - Depth with knowledge our of Defense, Amadi and Neal are solid but there is nothing behind them.
7. Niko Thorpe - He is great ST's and we really don't' have much at CB with experience in this defense.

I guarantee that this defense is better than we think and the second half of the season we will play like a top 20 Defense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I hope so.

I would also like to see Kam on this staff.

Kam started the LOB and there was a lot of press during that time about how he put our guys where they needed to be. He seems to know the strategy and tactics well.

When he held out, our defense looked very average - even our great players did not look near as good.

It is always dangerous when you put a great hero on the field in the coaching box. Does not always work out. But Kam seems an obvious worthwhile resource we could be using to get better.

God knows we need to get better. Would be hard to be worse.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you for this. I've been depressed after this loss, but am on the upswing. I believe that Jamal and Snacks are going to make a huge difference in the defense, and Poona and Jarran will get some rest during games.

Plus we've been struggling to keep DB starters on the field.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":36ad4q5e said:
I see the light! I trust in Pete and by week 9 we should see a arsenal of new starters and improvements to key backups on the field.

2. Carlos Dunlap - Veteran who has maintaine success and has a chip on his shoulders
3. Snacks Harrison - A Veteran who if/when he is on his game is an Elite run stuffer and disrupter
5. Mychal Kendricks - Better than Barton, great depth for Bobby and KJ, can rush the passer
6. Lano Hill - Depth with knowledge our of Defense, Amadi and Neal are solid but there is nothing behind them.
7. Niko Thorpe - He is great ST's and we really don't' have much at CB with experience in this defense.

I guarantee that this defense is better than we think and the second half of the season we will play like a top 20 Defense.

Getting Adams, Dunlap, Harrison, Green and Kendricks on the field will be huge! Thats 5 guys out of 11 that haven't been on the field. Thats almost half. Excited to see them all contributing.

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3449gc1q said:
Is there movement that I've not heard about on the Mychal Kendricks front? Last I saw he was still a Free Agent.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":3frdoe41 said:
Wenhawk":3frdoe41 said:
Is there movement that I've not heard about on the Mychal Kendricks front? Last I saw he was still a Free Agent.

Signed to the practice squad last week.

AlciG

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":19x4mju6 said:
Wenhawk":19x4mju6 said:

He's on the Practice Squad

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Oh and it is possible our 2nd round pick DE Darryl Taylor gets on the field.

hawks85

Reaction score
Wenhawk":9wher4xi said:
Ok, so our Defense is in the doghouse and fans are jumping off the cliff claiming our season is doomed. We know we are giving up an ungodly amount of yards per game, currently #32 in the league. Besides the Cardinals game they have found a way to come through in the end and make some big stops helping us to a 5-1 #1 in the NFC West Record. Our PPG is a much more important stat and we are currently #23.

We have not had our full deck these first 7 games. The fact Ken Norton Jr is still the DC is almost like playing with one hand tied behind our back. Not to mention how these unexpected events have impacted our continuity and performance.
- Jamal Adams injury
- Rasheem Green Injury
- Jordyn Brooks injury

Not buying it. Norton is GOD AWFUL. We have on paper more talent on the D this year than last, but the D is still beyond bad, worse than last year IMO. They can add all the vets they want, but this D will still be the worst Defense in the NFL, possibly worst in NFL history. Norton needs to be gone like yesterday. Norton was awful last year, and awful with Oakland.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3ghrbsvc said:

- Jamal Adams injury
- Rasheem Green Injury
- Jordyn Brooks injury

I'll be more reserved this season.

In the beginning of the year, I was optimistic but I have to lesson my expectations moving forward now.

I don't want to expect these guys (all you mentioned) besides Adams as premier defensive players today.

I mean Dunlap may be the most solid guy besides Adams because Green has not been consistent and have been used as a rotation guy, hardly enough to get excited about, and he's coming off an injury. Players that start with injuries in the beginning of the year almost never make a substantial impact on the season.

Snacks hasn't played in how long? We don't know what condition his body is in and he's not as young and hungry as he once was. I'm lowering my expectations of him.

Kendricks is a wild-card, he can either be solid or he can go unnoticed, even when he was healthy, he would disappear in games at times. Not really an impactful player. He may get a few fumbles/interceptions and that would be icing on the cake but to expect him to turn the linebackers corps into the best in the NFL again or anything like that is a pipe dream. Remember he was injured as well in the beginning of the year, we don't know how he'll be able to condition his body to play the remaining season at a high level.

We'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best with the pieces we have on defense.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Every team has injuries though. And we will continue to have them. Just because some people are returning, others will be getting hurt.

Rat

Reaction score
Why do you think we suddenly will stop having injuries? The stuff youre saying is best case scenario.

LTH

Reaction score
Wenhawk":345zzgcw said:

- Jamal Adams injury
- Rasheem Green Injury
- Jordyn Brooks injury

Atta boy!! Im right there with ya!!

LTH

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Pretty bold prediction Wen Namath :lol:
I certainly hope you are right.

xray

Reaction score
The offense will still have to post 35 pts per game to go deep in postseason . That will be difficult to do for 10 more games in regular season .

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like your enthusiasm and I think I agree. But San Fran has been killed by injuries as well on defense and they are playing much better. I think its coaching. They know they have to scheme better to put their players in the best possible position for success and Seatte just isn't as good at this as other teams. We did try to manufacture pressure with Adams but that's about it. We have enough talent on defense to not be all time bad for yards allowed even with acknowledging the style Pete plays.

I do think we get better though and if we can get into the 20 range we make a SB run. If not we don't.

LTH

Reaction score
austinslater25":ooz4nij4 said:
I like your enthusiasm and I think I agree. But San Fran has been killed by injuries as well on defense and they are playing much better. I think its coaching. They know they have to scheme better to put their players in the best possible position for success and Seatte just isn't as good at this as other teams. We did try to manufacture pressure with Adams but that's about it. We have enough talent on defense to not be all time bad for yards allowed even with acknowledging the style Pete plays.

I do think we get better though and if we can get into the 20 range we make a SB run. If not we don't.

I disagree that Seattle isn't as good as putting their players in position for success that is the whole goal in Carroll's philosophy...

I just think because of the cap and unexpected setbacks like Taylor etc... as well not being able to find the right fit for a DE in FA they had to wait till the right deal came along... ok so it kinda stressed everybody out rightfully so but even if we lose to the niners we are still in great shape to make a SB run assuming that Dunlop pans out and they dont get hit with major injuries at key positions...

Im worried about corner specifically Dunbars knee... he is one hit away from being out... If I were JS id be looking at corner...

LTH

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Top 20 defense?

So they'll give up 27 points a game instead of 29?

Yay.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
ESPN had a couple of pundits going over the #s.

For the most part, top 6 teams all were giving up between 220-240 yds per game passing.

Chiefs, Ravens, Bucs, Packers, and Steelers.

But the Seahawks were giving up 368 per game.

Over a 100 yds a game difference.

So yes, anything helps. Top 20 is still below average but much better than 'godawful' which is where we sit now.

I am still puzzled by it. Norton is below average if not well below average, but nothing in his past screams 'Worst to ever coach a defense'.

At the same time, the roster isn't great. But worst in history?

Something is amiss and I have no idea what it is. Anything that gets us just a few slows below average is still a big improvement.