Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jadeveon Clowney has been a massive bust in Tennessee

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Great read on Field Gulls about Clowney not really panning out for the Titans, I for one feel much better now that JS didn't pull the trigger on that deal, it's crazy how much JC really over estimated his market in the off season.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/11/2/21 ... -nfl-stats
    Polk738
    NET Veteran

• He gets way too much money for what he is. A run stopping defensive end. Pressure only counts so much to a point. If you aren't sacking the QB you aren't finishing the play. He's overpaid and overrated. He doesn't impact the game like a defensive end should at that size and at that salary.

Happy to see him flame out.
    AirStrike
    NET Rookie

• I think that people are being a bit naive by looking ONLY at sack #'s.....Certainly you can make a case for not paying Clowney absolute top dollar because he isn't at the top of the Sack # count....but he absolutely contributes by moving QB's off of their spot and creating hurries...These items can lead to incompletions, or better yet, turnovers.

Clowney didn't get many sacks last year, but he was definitely disruptive.

Part of the reason we've had such trouble this year with getting teams off of the field is because we've lacked someone who is disruptive in getting into the backfield and as a result, a lot of QB's have been able to pick us apart. Our real success yesterday started when we were able to create some blitz looks and pressure to get to Garrapalo and make him uncomfortable...and look at how well that turned. out. :) Interestingly, Mullens had success against us later because they STOPPED trying to do so much and instead had him run mostly 3 step drops and get the ball out quickly.

Just my $.02.
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

We have to wait until Dunlap is in. With Clowney we might not have Dunlap.

But with Clowney we would likely be undefeated and we would probably be a SB favorite with this offense.

Even WITH this DC....

Clowney got pressure, he was amazing at blowing up long developing plays, and blowing up run plays. He was amazing at running down plays from behind. He did not get a lot of sacks but he was huge for us.

Whether he is great for the Titans is irrelevant. We KNOW he was great for us here. He dominated a good SF team, he might have won us the Eagles playoff game as well. (Certainly contributed).

We wasted a lot of money on FAs like Olson and Irvin that combined would have gotten us Clowney, so we didn't even save that much money.

I still wish we had him but getting very optimistic that maybe the Dunlap trade works out for us.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• The Olsen + Finney money could have signed Clowney. That said we weren't good last season with him!

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

But with Clowney we would likely be undefeated and we would probably be a SB favorite with this offense.

Even WITH this DC....

Clowney got pressure, he was amazing at blowing up long developing plays, and blowing up run plays. He was amazing at running down plays from behind. He did not get a lot of sacks but he was huge for us.

Whether he is great for the Titans is irrelevant. We KNOW he was great for us here. He dominated a good SF team, he might have won us the Eagles playoff game as well. (Certainly contributed).

We wasted a lot of money on FAs like Olson and Irvin that combined would have gotten us Clowney, so we didn't even save that much money.

I still wish we had him but getting very optimistic that maybe the Dunlap trade works out for us.

Personally, I still wish we had Jefferson. He did a lot of the same things for much less money. I'm still not sure why we didn't try to re-sign him this last off-season.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• AirStrike wrote:

That says more about you than it does about him.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

• I liked Clowney and wish he was here but I didn't like his
    pay me $20 million.
    I don't think he liked Seattle for less than top pay.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• He's seemingly not succeeding in their scheme like he thought he would, which is unfortunate. The whole Titans pass rush seems off right now, though.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• kf3339 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

Even WITH this DC....

Personally, I still wish we had Jefferson. He did a lot of the same things for much less money. I'm still not sure why we didn't try to re-sign him this last off-season.

Collier is filling his role at pretty much the same level of play.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• I wish we can get Clowney right now. He was awesome for us this year, w/ Adams man that would have been somethign to see. Not this garbage trainwreck we seen the last 6 games. Last game gave me hope.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• I think he's just too f'n fast and over runs the play.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Looking at Titans boards, it sounds like he has been mostly the same with them as with us: tremendous against the run, decent pass rush win rate, but can never finish for whatever reason. I don't believe he has been a complete waste of money.

Vic Beasley, on the other hand, has been an absolute disaster. He was a one-year wonder if there ever was one.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Clowney blackballed the Seahawks and was refusing to work with us on a reasonable offer. He completely overestimated his worth on the open market. This guy wasn’t even trying to work with us and wanted the Hawks to pay him Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald type of money lmao!!!!! He’s not even as dominant as Donald’s big toe gtfo Clowney is a straight up Clown. I don’t wish him any injuries however when is see him struggle and not live up to his price I can’t help but chuckle lol
    PNW
    NET Starter

• Mayowa has one less game played than Clowney and pretty much identical stats....same exact tackle stats. Clowney has a couple of more QB hits, but Mayowa has 2 sacks compared to Clowney's 0.
    chihawk
    NET Starter

• Chrome_Seahawk wrote:I think that people are being a bit naive by looking ONLY at sack #'s.....Certainly you can make a case for not paying Clowney absolute top dollar because he isn't at the top of the Sack # count....but he absolutely contributes by moving QB's off of their spot and creating hurries...These items can lead to incompletions, or better yet, turnovers.

Clowney didn't get many sacks last year, but he was definitely disruptive.

Part of the reason we've had such trouble this year with getting teams off of the field is because we've lacked someone who is disruptive in getting into the backfield and as a result, a lot of QB's have been able to pick us apart. Our real success yesterday started when we were able to create some blitz looks and pressure to get to Garrapalo and make him uncomfortable...and look at how well that turned. out. :) Interestingly, Mullens had success against us later because they STOPPED trying to do so much and instead had him run mostly 3 step drops and get the ball out quickly.

Just my $.02.

We were being picked apart a bunch last year, WITH Clowney here, yea, he did have a really great game against the 49rs last season, BUT, yesterday, Bobby Wagner had an even better performance against them.
    Clowney was asking for too much $, and then waiting too long, JS pulled his offer, so he ended up taking less to play for Tenn., now, I don't wish him any ill will, but, he's not playing up his touting.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:

Even WITH this DC....

Would you happened to have stats showing Collier playing at same level as Jefferson?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:

Even WITH this DC....

Would you happened to have stats showing Collier playing at same level as Jefferson?

Well, if you're talking about pass rush, Jefferson had 16 pressures in 2019. LJ Collier already has 9, from same role, with similar snap count. He's had a few notable hurries, as well.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• He's part of a D now that's actually worse than the Hawks at getting off the field on third down
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Hawks dodged bullet.

Clowney is a good player, not an elite one. If Clowney was here and being paid 15 or 20 Million, can you imagine the outrage over him not having any sacks?

Thank you Titans!!!
    nwHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• nwHawk wrote:Hawks dodged bullet.

Clowney is a good player, not an elite one. If Clowney was here and being paid 15 or 20 Million, can you imagine the outrage over him not having any sacks?

Thank you Titans!!!

You have him and his agent to thank for that.....apparently we offered a multi year contract worth close to $18 million per year and they turned their noses up at that. Then after no traction on the open market due to Clowey overvaluing himself we tried to sign him to a one year prove it deal for close to $15 million per year and he still turned that down. What an idiot hahaha
    PNW
    NET Starter

• I think people massively overstate Clowney's contributions. He had maybe two great games last year. He's a good LB that can be used in some pass rush situations, preferably in a 3-4 system, nothing more.

Yea he was disruptive, but I'm beginning to feel that our standard for the D-line is as low as our standard for the O-line for years. I'd be defending Russ because it was ludicrous to expect consistent performances and offensive efficiency with a 31st ranked O-line. I still remember many of the threads on here.

Clowney was simply not worth the contract he was asking for. Yes he's disruptive, but you can get two solid pass rushers for what he was asking for. He also has a bad injury history.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

Even WITH this DC....

Well for the Seahawks to be undefeated, he would have only had to make a difference on a play or two. Then we would be stuck with him being over-paid on a multi year deal.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Clowney's best play in his career is still when he went unblocked in college.
    AirStrike
    NET Rookie

• I have nothing against the guy. Shoot, I hope he does well out there. I wanted them to sign him for a long while, but as it went on it just got old. Easy to say now, but it turned out to likely be a very good decision to move on from him.
    Especially w/the reinforcements we have coming in. If they could even get to middle of the pack on Defense, they are clearly a legit contender to win it all. And with this offense, they already are a contender.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• The guy doesnt get sacks,,,,so what. He gets pressure and is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the league. I watched the Titans a couple times this year and all I was thinking was that I wish he was still on the Hawks.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Pressure and sacks are both important for the overall disruption of an opponents passing ability.
    Sacks alone are not the measure of a valuable DL.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Basis4day wrote:Pressure and sacks are both important for the overall disruption of an opponents passing ability.
    Sacks alone are not the measure of a valuable DL.

Yes it’s a huge part of it, especially if you’re asking for more than $18million a year, however to your point the Hawks understood this that’s why they were willing to (imo) overpay for him. He said no way though, he turned his nose up at a long term deal at $18million per year. So he can go to TN and get 3 sacks a year for $12million and get handled by Joe Burrow for all I care hahahahaha. Seriously though go watch those highlights! They’re great!!! :D
    PNW
    NET Starter

• They are paying Clowney and Beasley 22.5 million per Clayton. And I believe he said zero sacks.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk wrote:They are paying Clowney and Beasley 22.5 million per Clayton. And I believe he said zero sacks.

Yep the CB they just traded for Desmond King has more sacks than both Clowney and Beasley combined hahahahaha!!!!
    PNW
    NET Starter

• Isn't Tennessee a 3-4 defense?

Why would JaDaveon choose to play in a defense he's not suited for?
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk wrote:Isn't Tennessee a 3-4 defense?

He's played his entire career save one season in a 3-4.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• The Titans are worse at getting off the field on third down than the Jets are at doing anything. Mike Sando of The Athletic notes that the Titans are allowing opponents to convert 62 percent of third downs, the worst number through the first seven weeks of a given season since such data started being recorded in 1991.

A problem this big has more than one cause -- it's not all because of the anemic pass rush being provided by Jadeveon Clowney and especially Vic Beasley, who doesn't have a single QB hit all season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/debrief-winner ... e-deadline
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

He was 3-4 OLB since his rookie year with Houston. You could argue he wasn't suited for our defense if anything.
    AirStrike
    NET Rookie

• KinesProf wrote:
    AirStrike wrote:

That says more about you than it does about him.

Beat me to it Kines. That line clearly looked to be the motivating factor for everything placed above it.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Let’s not forget that when Clowney played the niners and had that awesome game, both tackles just came back from injury and were not 100%
    Hollandhawk
    NET Starter

Are you familiar with this rare symbol, and what it stands for? ;)

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Isn't Tennessee a 3-4 defense?

Are you familiar with this rare symbol, and what it stands for? ;)

Preparation H?
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• PNW wrote:Clowney blackballed the Seahawks and was refusing to work with us on a reasonable offer. He completely overestimated his worth on the open market. This guy wasn’t even trying to work with us and wanted the Hawks to pay him Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald type of money lmao!!!!! He’s not even as dominant as Donald’s big toe gtfo Clowney is a straight up Clown. I don’t wish him any injuries however when is see him struggle and not live up to his price I can’t help but chuckle lol

Yep, he got in his feelings.

Seattle was trying to negotiate in good faith, and Seattle came up to his asking price which I believe was at $15M at the time, then Clowney asked for more. That's a no-no.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Some people like massive busts.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Clowney had a few incredible performances last year -- but in the majority, he was very average. The one point I'll add is that he frequently got double-teamed which sometimes opened up opportunities for others. I'd rather have him on our team than not have him -- but the money he was asking for would have drained funds from other areas.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

• I agree we should not overpay. But given all of the problems we have on defense, I have to believe he would still make it better.
    diver110
    NET Starter

• Surprise surprise Clowney is injured.... this is another reason he wasn’t gonna get more than $12mill a year on the open market.
    PNW
    NET Starter

• Anyone else watching Clowney tonight? So far not impressed at all....
    *updated.....he did make a decent play on the RB on 4th and 1
    PNW
    NET Starter

• Clowney has turned in a very productive performance so far tonight. You got bad glasses PNW.

Just my opinion that Clowney's pre-season negotiations were caused by bad agent influence. He changed agent toward the end, and finally signed for something like $12M IIRC. Also my opinion he would have been our best DL had he signed with us.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Appyhawk wrote:Clowney has turned in a very productive performance so far tonight. You got bad glasses PNW.

Just my opinion that Clowney's pre-season negotiations were caused by bad agent influence. He changed agent toward the end, and finally signed for something like $12M IIRC. Also my opinion he would have been our best DL had he signed with us.

Agree to disagree, one tackle in the backfield, however the RB drug him a few yards and still got a first down, the other one play I gave him credit for was decent, although the tackle was slow getting off the snap, so it was more 50% Clowney and 50% OL not doing his job. Other than that I haven’t seen much from him. Been watching him every play he’s in, even rewinding to double check. Not impressive at all. I believe Carlos is better than clowney, but yes he would be our second best DL besides him, which isn’t saying much.

*edited Clowney did just make a nice TFL right after I hit submit haha
    PNW
    NET Starter

• Appyhawk wrote:Clowney has turned in a very productive performance so far tonight. You got bad glasses PNW.

Yup. 12 million on 1 year, with the potential to earn 3 million more in incentives.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information