Jadeveon Clowney has been a massive bust in Tennessee

AirStrike

Reaction score
He gets way too much money for what he is. A run stopping defensive end. Pressure only counts so much to a point. If you aren't sacking the QB you aren't finishing the play. He's overpaid and overrated. He doesn't impact the game like a defensive end should at that size and at that salary.

Happy to see him flame out.

Reaction score
I think that people are being a bit naive by looking ONLY at sack #'s.....Certainly you can make a case for not paying Clowney absolute top dollar because he isn't at the top of the Sack # count....but he absolutely contributes by moving QB's off of their spot and creating hurries...These items can lead to incompletions, or better yet, turnovers.

Clowney didn't get many sacks last year, but he was definitely disruptive.

Part of the reason we've had such trouble this year with getting teams off of the field is because we've lacked someone who is disruptive in getting into the backfield and as a result, a lot of QB's have been able to pick us apart. Our real success yesterday started when we were able to create some blitz looks and pressure to get to Garrapalo and make him uncomfortable...and look at how well that turned. out. :) Interestingly, Mullens had success against us later because they STOPPED trying to do so much and instead had him run mostly 3 step drops and get the ball out quickly.

Just my $.02.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
With this offense, Clowney would have been huge for us.

We have to wait until Dunlap is in. With Clowney we might not have Dunlap.

But with Clowney we would likely be undefeated and we would probably be a SB favorite with this offense.

Even WITH this DC....

Clowney got pressure, he was amazing at blowing up long developing plays, and blowing up run plays. He was amazing at running down plays from behind. He did not get a lot of sacks but he was huge for us.

Whether he is great for the Titans is irrelevant. We KNOW he was great for us here. He dominated a good SF team, he might have won us the Eagles playoff game as well. (Certainly contributed).

We wasted a lot of money on FAs like Olson and Irvin that combined would have gotten us Clowney, so we didn't even save that much money.

I still wish we had him but getting very optimistic that maybe the Dunlap trade works out for us.

toffee

Reaction score
The Olsen + Finney money could have signed Clowney. That said we weren't good last season with him!

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1uokvt5f said:

But with Clowney we would likely be undefeated and we would probably be a SB favorite with this offense.

Even WITH this DC....

Clowney got pressure, he was amazing at blowing up long developing plays, and blowing up run plays. He was amazing at running down plays from behind. He did not get a lot of sacks but he was huge for us.

Whether he is great for the Titans is irrelevant. We KNOW he was great for us here. He dominated a good SF team, he might have won us the Eagles playoff game as well. (Certainly contributed).

We wasted a lot of money on FAs like Olson and Irvin that combined would have gotten us Clowney, so we didn't even save that much money.

I still wish we had him but getting very optimistic that maybe the Dunlap trade works out for us.

Personally, I still wish we had Jefferson. He did a lot of the same things for much less money. I'm still not sure why we didn't try to re-sign him this last off-season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I liked Clowney and wish he was here but I didn't like his
pay me $20 million.
I don't think he liked Seattle for less than top pay.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's seemingly not succeeding in their scheme like he thought he would, which is unfortunate. The whole Titans pass rush seems off right now, though.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
kf3339":2x0h97zm said:
TwistedHusky":2x0h97zm said:

Even WITH this DC....

Personally, I still wish we had Jefferson. He did a lot of the same things for much less money. I'm still not sure why we didn't try to re-sign him this last off-season.

Collier is filling his role at pretty much the same level of play.

rcaido

Reaction score
I wish we can get Clowney right now. He was awesome for us this year, w/ Adams man that would have been somethign to see. Not this garbage trainwreck we seen the last 6 games. Last game gave me hope.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think he's just too f'n fast and over runs the play.

Rat

Reaction score
Looking at Titans boards, it sounds like he has been mostly the same with them as with us: tremendous against the run, decent pass rush win rate, but can never finish for whatever reason. I don't believe he has been a complete waste of money.

Vic Beasley, on the other hand, has been an absolute disaster. He was a one-year wonder if there ever was one.

PNW

Reaction score
Clowney blackballed the Seahawks and was refusing to work with us on a reasonable offer. He completely overestimated his worth on the open market. This guy wasn’t even trying to work with us and wanted the Hawks to pay him Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald type of money lmao!!!!! He’s not even as dominant as Donald’s big toe gtfo Clowney is a straight up Clown. I don’t wish him any injuries however when is see him struggle and not live up to his price I can’t help but chuckle lol

chihawk

Reaction score
Mayowa has one less game played than Clowney and pretty much identical stats....same exact tackle stats. Clowney has a couple of more QB hits, but Mayowa has 2 sacks compared to Clowney's 0.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":2xoxverv said:
I think that people are being a bit naive by looking ONLY at sack #'s.....Certainly you can make a case for not paying Clowney absolute top dollar because he isn't at the top of the Sack # count....but he absolutely contributes by moving QB's off of their spot and creating hurries...These items can lead to incompletions, or better yet, turnovers.

Clowney didn't get many sacks last year, but he was definitely disruptive.

Part of the reason we've had such trouble this year with getting teams off of the field is because we've lacked someone who is disruptive in getting into the backfield and as a result, a lot of QB's have been able to pick us apart. Our real success yesterday started when we were able to create some blitz looks and pressure to get to Garrapalo and make him uncomfortable...and look at how well that turned. out. :) Interestingly, Mullens had success against us later because they STOPPED trying to do so much and instead had him run mostly 3 step drops and get the ball out quickly.

Just my $.02.
We were being picked apart a bunch last year, WITH Clowney here, yea, he did have a really great game against the 49rs last season, BUT, yesterday, Bobby Wagner had an even better performance against them.
Clowney was asking for too much $, and then waiting too long, JS pulled his offer, so he ended up taking less to play for Tenn., now, I don't wish him any ill will, but, he's not playing up his touting.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":pzaybaq8 said:
kf3339":pzaybaq8 said:
TwistedHusky":pzaybaq8 said:

Even WITH this DC....

Would you happened to have stats showing Collier playing at same level as Jefferson?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":2l932178 said:
Maelstrom787":2l932178 said:
kf3339":2l932178 said:
TwistedHusky":2l932178 said:

Even WITH this DC....

Would you happened to have stats showing Collier playing at same level as Jefferson?

Well, if you're talking about pass rush, Jefferson had 16 pressures in 2019. LJ Collier already has 9, from same role, with similar snap count. He's had a few notable hurries, as well.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
He's part of a D now that's actually worse than the Hawks at getting off the field on third down

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hawks dodged bullet.

Clowney is a good player, not an elite one. If Clowney was here and being paid 15 or 20 Million, can you imagine the outrage over him not having any sacks?

Thank you Titans!!!