Jordyn Brooks - Fantastic play (Brooks > Queen)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1328751948854509570[/tweet]

This is a good example of the flashes he's been making in coverage. Instinctual and fast. We saw his run defense chops against Kyler, and here's a splash in coverage. Well rounded.

I think he's the right LB. Love him over Queen.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not sure he is better then Queen, but I like the idea of him taking over for Bobby after this season. BWagz is not longer 4.4 speed and that $17 M per year next year could save us $10 in cap.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":14oxaisu said:
I'd rather have Queen but glad Brooks is making some progress.

Honest question - why?

He's playing like one of the absolute worst linebackers in the league. He's absolutely lost in coverage. They've had to take him out in crucial defensive stands because of precisely how lost he is in coverage. PFF backs this eye-test up with a grade of 28.9 - the worst I've ever personally seen.

[youtube]pAzXF7PGqbY[/youtube]

Film study on him, highlighting some of his abundant coverage woes.

His splash plays are deceiving. He has potential, but he has been woefully bad overall. Brooks is not only the better scheme fit, but has been the more competent player in his early action.

Hell, even Ravens fans are souring on him. Check out the most recent game thread from Ravens fans.

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/s ... -15/page49

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3lr5rfkw said:
Not sure he is better then Queen, but I like the idea of him taking over for Bobby after this season. BWagz is not longer 4.4 speed and that $17 M per year next year could save us $10 in cap.

I'm absolutely, 100% sure he is better than Queen as things stand. It's early, so I'm not willing to state that Brooks is definitively the better player, but he has been the better player so far.

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":22jq1x7t said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1328751948854509570[/tweet]

This is a good example of the flashes he's been making in coverage. Instinctual and fast. We saw his run defense chops against Kyler, and here's a splash in coverage. Well rounded.

I think he's the right LB. Love him over Queen.

I like how Brooks turns his hips and gets his head around to see where the receiver is on this play. Too many underneath zone defenders when dropping try to play with butt radar, and fail miserably. See man and ball.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Brooks played well against the Rams. I'm expecting big things from him next season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1p90k10c said:
Brooks played well against the Rams. I'm expecting big things from him next season.

Agreed. He's rapidly looking better week to week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love what I'm seeing from him. It's gonna' be nice to see him continue to grow as a player.
I'm stoked he's a Hawks, I'm sure the Ravens are stoked they have Queen. Both guys could turn out to be ballers.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15tv7ee6 said:
Love what I'm seeing from him. It's gonna' be nice to see him continue to grow as a player.
I'm stoked he's a Hawks, I'm sure the Ravens are stoked they have Queen. Both guys could turn out to be ballers.

I'm sure a few are stoked on Queen because of his few splash plays, but he's played horrendously between. Like, absolutely terrible.

No one here should envy Patrick Queen. One of the main reasons I made the thread was to lightly compare/contrast and fight the narrative that Queen is excelling, because he is absolutely not.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Could be just not liking the pick from the get go, and not wanting to give Pete and John a little credit?
I know it's a fun hobby to Blast the front office so...….

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35kdoqb7 said:
Could be just not liking the pick from the get go, and not wanting to give Pete and John a little credit?
I know it's a fun hobby to Blast the front office so...….

That's what usually happens when they pass on prospects with higher name recognition, I suppose.

I just feel obligated to pump the brakes on the "missing on Queen" narrative because its becoming... well, just not based in fact

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, never have understood dwelling on guys that went to other teams.
Like it or not, they picked who they picked. And he's gonna' be a hell of a player.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There were three or four plays that I noticed how sudden he is, like this one. As he gets more confident and comfortable, he keeps looking faster and faster.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3lubg2gx said:
Absolutely, never have understood dwelling on guys that went to other teams.
Like it or not, they picked who they picked. And he's gonna' be a hell of a player.

Certainly looks that way. He's got the mix of speed and instinct that can't be taught. My hopes are high.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You can see why he was compared to Bobby. Shoot, if he ends up even 70 percent of what Bobby has been, yes please.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I have full confidence in him next year starting in place of KJ.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think you guys are too high on brooks. Kyler made a fool out of him in the open field and I’ve seen him whiff on easy tackles. He made a nice pass breakup in the Rams game, but I’m not too impressed yet. Jordyn Brooks has a ways to go before he’s a good player in the league.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3lyndbk3 said:
I think you guys are too high on brooks. Kyler made a fool out of him in the open field and I’ve seen him whiff on easy tackles. He made a nice pass breakup in the Rams game, but I’m not too impressed yet. Jordyn Brooks has a ways to go before he’s a good player in the league.

Oh, he has a ways to go. For sure. I'm just saying that what he's putting on tape is highly encouraging, especially compared to Queen, the player he's going to be compared to for his career.

The Cardinals game was up and down. Mostly up, though. He navigated through blockers very successfully to get to Kyler a few times. You're not gonna tackle open field Kyler 100% of the time - he's a special talent in that regard. I think Brooks held up very nicely for a rookie coming off injury in a year with no preseason.

His game against the Rams was even more encouraging. He gets through the scrum well to affect plays. He's got a nose for the ball.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1328758700463452166[/tweet]

His PFF grade is coverage wasn't great - in the 40s, but it's not Patrick Queen level horrendous, and I tend to take it easier on him because the whole defense is falling apart. But, again... he's showing flashes of the instinct and closing speed necessary to be a cornerstone linebacker in this league, and he's showing them more frequently as the year goes on and he racks up snaps.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1328821416343588867[/tweet]

Here's a better breakdown of his best play in coverage v. LA.

Not saying he's a complete player yet, but he deserves more playing time and is not playing like a bust.