Penny...Hyde...Carson...

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":16tcbogh said:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=3+headed+dragon&fr=chr-yo_gc&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdnb.artstation.com%2Fp%2Fmarketplace%2Fpresentation_assets%2F000%2F213%2F099%2Flarge%2Ffile.jpg%3F1570288788#id=0&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdnb.artstation.com%2Fp%2Fmarketplace%2Fpresentation_assets%2F000%2F213%2F099%2Flarge%2Ffile.jpg%3F1570288788&action=click

No way,smh,cant even imagine that...!!!!
Other teams be like...wwwhhhaaaaaattt

LTH

Reaction score
I really like the way Penny runs it's a complement to the way Carson runs....the three headed monster in Carson , Penny and Hyde is nothing short of a awesome run attack and I can't wait to see these guys shred the best D's in the playoffs...

LTH

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It always amazes me that people add Penny to lists like this and lists of good draft picks. He is not good. Heck, Deejay has 3 total TDs and Penny only has 5.

We should have picked the MUCH higher rated CHUBB! Huge miss

nanomoz

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":27cgwuuj said:
It always amazes me that people add Penny to lists like this and lists of good draft picks. He is not good. Heck, Deejay has 3 total TDs and Penny only has 5.

Penny's not good? This is a stupid post. Continuing to judge his play or value to the team based on his draft position, or on who was taken after him, rather than his actual play, is emotionally driven and irrational.

Penny averaged nearly 6 ypc last year, for f^c#'s sake. And he was on an absolute tear before he got hurt. He put up 236 yards and 3 TDs on 29 carries and 6 targets against Philly and Minny.

The dude is an explosive running back with a knack for huge plays. Getting him back makes this team much, much better. Full stop.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":xb1w2d1n said:

Good of you to make that hindsight call, but Penny would be fine if he could stay healthy. He's clearly quite good when on the field. Interestingly, he was the smart medical pick at the time. Had his body held up like it did in college, he'd be one of the biggest threats on the offense. To insinuate the Penny isn't obviously a talented rusher when on the field is just... wrong. I question whether you were watching him last year.

Nick Chubb blew his knee out horribly in college, and hurt it again this year.

The REAL criticism here is that they picked a running back in the first round, which is almost always a stupid move. Regardless of how it worked out, it'd be pretty silly to draft a running back who suffered a naaasty knee injury in his college play with a high pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":s04suqim said:

You must be a Fantasy player and not really know anything about real Football, Penny had a problem with weight and work ethic, he was it in San Diego, never had to really put in the extra time to get his Body right, he was that much better then most others on the field day to day.

Like many players the NFL is a wake up call, depending on the mental make up of a person it can break many and they disappear or they step up. Penny was injured out of the gate and then had nagging stuff. When he did get on the field he had a few sparks but nothing you could rely on.

Off season he was able to get with Carson and trained to re shape his body, he and Carson were dominating, this was doing two things, giving other teams different looks to have to defend as well as keeping both backs fresh.

The knee injury was bad luck, the only real question is can he get his speed back and his mentality that he had right before he was hurt.

We were looking at two 1000 yard backs the way we were rolling at that time.

LTH

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":6it1r96a said:
Anyone know when Penny will be back?

he should be back for the next game..

LTH

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Everything is easier in hindsight. Chubbs a great back. But if you were to ask anyone in that year's predraft, "Who would be injured first?", everyone would've guessed Chubb.

Penny was starting to flash. If he comes back the way he was starting to play, you'll be eating those words. I had to eat crow as well as I was never high on the pick. His last few games proved me completely wrong.

Wish him well. He's a Seahawk!!

And by the way...while I like DJ Dallas and think he has potential, he's nowhere near Penny's level. Not even close. Maybe he'll get there but...a healthy Penny doing what he was doing will compete for the #1 spot. Chris Carson knows this and was/is beyond supportive. Even called for subs during games to get Penny a TD and/or playing time.

Anxious to see how he recovered!!!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’ve been consistent since draft night. Penny was a bad pick. First, we picked him way higher than we should have meaning we wasted a lot of draft capital on him. Second, we were worried about possibly replacing Carson and we pick a 3rd down around the edge or pass catcher to replace a thumper instead of a proven thumper in Chubb? Stupid move. I do acknowledge the injury issue with Chubb but can point to plenty of injured draft picks we have made. And last, Penny has TWO good games before injury. TWO. As a first rounder? His other games were not good.

Look at this game log without Penny’s name attached and tell me you can’t get this with an UDFA.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennRa00/gamelog/2019/advanced/

“But, but but he had two good games before injury” and the 2 rushing yards his previous game? Or the 12 rushing yards the game before?

Oh and the predictable idiot always calling people’s opinions invalid if they do fantasy football. I never have and they probably know a helluva lot more than you.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":cv8oibq0 said:
I’ve been consistent since draft night. Penny was a bad pick. First, we picked him way higher than we should have meaning we wasted a lot of draft capital on him. Second, we were worried about possibly replacing Carson and we pick a 3rd down around the edge or pass catcher to replace a thumper instead of a proven thumper in Chubb? Stupid move. I do acknowledge the injury issue with Chubb but can point to plenty of injured draft picks we have made. And last, Penny has TWO good games before injury. TWO. As a first rounder? His other games were not good.

Look at this game log without Penny’s name attached and tell me you can’t get this with an UDFA.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennRa00/gamelog/2019/advanced/

“But, but but he had two good games before injury” and the 2 rushing yards his previous game? Or the 12 rushing yards the game before?

Oh and the predictable idiot always calling people’s opinions invalid if they do fantasy football. I never have and they probably know a helluva lot more than you.

This actually shows a fairly convincing portrait of him getting increasingly good as he gets more carries in a game.

Either way, drafting any running back in the first round is silly.

But drafting one who had a gruesome knee injury in college with your first pick is dumb. You wanna criticize the McDowell pick so much because of the risk involved, yet you fail to see how it would've been almost arrogant to draft a running back with long-term health concerns in the first round?

No one has a crystal ball, but its usually a fairly safe bet to skip over the rusher whose knee self-destructed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RBs are not as plug and play as many like to think. One rb can be successful in one offense and downright bad in another. Example - Eddie Lacy, did decent with the Packers but failed here. Alex Collins basically run out of town here but became a 1000 yard rusher in Baltimore. Carlos Hyde - couldn't stick with 49ers, Browns, Jax, and Chiefs but ran for 1000 yards with Houston. Doing well so far here.

I'm not certain that if the Seahawks picked Chubb, he would have even beaten out Carson here. Carson took the drafting of Penny as a message and worked his tail off to win the position. Credit to Carson for that. Carson became a top 10 back in the process (when he's healthy).

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m okay on the McDowell pick as to where he was drafted compared to where he should have been drafted with the information at the time. I think there were red flags and the results were as bad as could be but it’s just part of a list of bad results.

Penny over Chubb is my biggest issue with drafting. Brooks over Queen is up there and Collier over another position of need that hadn’t been picked clean at the time. Collier has shown some life and Brooks is a rookie so time will tell. But To me the Penny over Chubb debate is over. What league exec today would trade Chubb for Penny? Absolutely zero. How many fans on this board would? A couple it looks like. That is quite telling.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1lw59dt5 said:
I’m okay on the McDowell pick as to where he was drafted compared to where he should have been drafted with the information at the time. I think there were red flags and the results were as bad as could be but it’s just part of a list of bad results.

Penny over Chubb is my biggest issue with drafting. Brooks over Queen is up there and Collier over another position of need that hadn’t been picked clean at the time. Collier has shown some life and Brooks is a rookie so time will tell. But To me the Penny over Chubb debate is over. What league exec today would trade Chubb for Penny? Absolutely zero. How many fans on this board would? A couple it looks like. That is quite telling.

No one here would keep Penny over Chubb, but its bad process to waste picks on first round running backs with bright red flags sticking out of their ACL. I honestly don't care how it turned out - Cleveland has been extremely fortunate so far with Chubb's health, whereas Seattle has been quite unfortunate with a player who had squeaky clean medicals coming into the league. It happens.

I think Penny is extremely talented, and would be capable of being the premier back... if he could stay healthy.

Also, off topic, but to respond to your other posted opinions: Collier is playing pretty well now that he's healthy, and Patrick Queen is absolutely terrible. TRASH. If Patrick Queen were Seattle's first pick, you'd be shredding him and the FO a new one. He's on the most linebacker friendly franchise in the league and still is busting coverages left and right like a lost puppy looking for its owner.

PFF grade under 30. Clearly, they're seeing what everyone else who has actually watched him is seeing. He's one of, if not THE, worst linebacker in the league so far.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Time will tell on Queen and Brooks. I could be wrong. But again, Queen was a position of need and BPA at the time we drafted Brooks.

Legit curious why the pundits are liking Queen so much if his pff is so bad?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
JayhawkMike":2nmoz2j8 said:
Time will tell on Queen and Brooks. I could be wrong. But again, Queen was a position of need and BPA at the time we drafted Brooks.

As always, time will tell on ALL draft selections. But no one really KNOWS that going in.
Pundits are, like amateur draft geniuses (and me), stubbornly loyal to THEIR CHOICES.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":37moyz61 said:

Couple of things:

Firstly, name recognition from LSU. Secondly, he's a Ravens linebacker, so is automatically assumed to be good.

He scored a touchdown by picking up a fumble he didn't cause and running unobstructed to the endzone. This was on every highlight reel. All he did was pick up the ball that Marlon stripped and ran 50 yards, untouched by a Bengal.

Other than that, he's caused 2 forced fumbles. One was simply a ball Burrow dropped after Queen hit him from behind. The other was a strip of Nick Chubb, which was actually pretty good.

Between those splash plays, the majority of which took place against Cincinnati in early October, he has been absolute trash, being absolutely abused in coverage and benched at multiple points.

Pundits suck, and you know it. They look at simple stat sheets and highlights and create narratives out of it.