Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Schneider

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
John Schneider
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:11 pm
  • This guy is a beast... the way he comes up with players is amazing... Reed .. Neil... Dunlap the list is endless... think we have the best GM in football... the Seahawks have the best organization in the NFL it's apparent watching Dunlap's interviews after the game, I mean the guy is just giddy and so appreciative to be in Seattle... The culture of this organization is REALLY special unlike anything in the NFL...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: John Schneider
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm
  • How about Poona Ford? Freakin' UDFA who has easily been a top-10 defensive tackle in the league this season.

Gem after gem.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm
  • The John Schneider system is simply "get your guy". He is a lot like Bobby Beathard during his time building Washington Football Team (WFT) during the late 70s and 80s. He would always trade back and work the mid to late rounds to build a team that won 2 Super Bowls and played in Three.

Beathard did crazy things too during his time with WFT

Signed John Riggins as a "washed up" 27 year old as a free agent.
    Signed Doug Williams after drafting two QBs.

Drafted Darrell Green in the first round from Texas A&M Kingsville when corners from ASU and LSU were still available.

Found All-Pro UDFA's during an era with 12 round NFL drafts.

John Schneider may not hit on first-rounders as much as we would like but he gets the right players and guys that contribute.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:42 pm
  • I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

The Dunlap trade was an absolute home run, and finding the diamonds in the rough like Reed and Neal are nice too.
    I do think though you have to look at the absolute disaster of the Jamal Adams trade when analyzing John though (to be fair I think that trade was all Pete). That trade has been so bad I don't think you can just ignore it.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:58 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

The Dunlap trade was an absolute home run, and finding the diamonds in the rough like Reed and Neal are nice too.
    I do think though you have to look at the absolute disaster of the Jamal Adams trade when analyzing John though (to be fair I think that trade was all Pete). That trade has been so bad I don't think you can just ignore it.

Carroll is an amazing guy...I was pissed off at the end of the Holmgren era as I thought Holmgren sold out for money after asking the fans to drink the kool aid and when the Hawks Hired Carroll I was like WTH!!!

But Carroll was a total blessing in disguise... It wasn't until I read both of Carroll's books that I realized, wait a minute... we got something really special here...

It was really interesting watching the media try to understand what Carroll was about... they didn't get it for years... and the national media still doesn't get it as you can see it in Carrolls face when the media asks questions for the millionth time (Carroll rolls his eyes back that's not the way we think)... I think most people don't get it ... I would really recommend reading Carroll's book it brings things to light understanding what he is doing in the culture he is creating not just with the players but with the whole organization... the book brings a certain clarity to the way he thinks...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

Carroll is an amazing guy...I was pissed off at the end of the Holmgren era as I thought Holmgren sold out for money after asking the fans to drink the kool aid and when the Hawks Hired Carroll I was like WTH!!!

But Carroll was a total blessing in disguise... It wasn't until I read both of Carroll's books that I realized, wait a minute... we got something really special here...

It was really interesting watching the media try to understand what Carroll was about... they didn't get it for years... and the national media still doesn't get it as you can see it in Carrolls face when the media asks questions for the millionth time (Carroll rolls his eyes back that's not the way we think)... I think most people don't get it ... I would really recommend reading Carroll's book it brings things to light understanding what he is doing in the culture he is creating not just with the players but with the whole organization... the book brings a certain clarity to the way he thinks...

LTH

It's a very good book. And it gives a lot of insight as to why Pete didn't do well with the Jets or Pats -- and why he's been so successful here -- and at USC.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:39 pm
  • All you have to do is listen to Adams, Diggs, and now Dunbar and Dunlap in their post game and press conferences to know this is like getting fresh air after breathing car exhaust for years, refreshing and bringing new enthusiasm for the game.

Reed coming from S.F also has been playing with a lot of heart and appreciates the Seahawks signing and waiting on him to get healthy.

John has taken chances on all of them except Diggs really, but paid to get him.

Everyone else had question marks about effort and character.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

Apparently you're wrong, because we have a serious culture problem on this team.

Not sure if you're aware but we had a poster, a mod in fact, post this in his argument that PC should also be fired:

"head coach's behavior that has slowly eroded the team culture."

then he went on to tell us in his very next post:

"I base all my opinions on my observation & by listening to the team coaches & it's players"

To top it all off, he posted this when we were 5-0 so we must know that he's observant to pick up on all that.

He then used his mod powers to delete his posts & every post that quoted it.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:40 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

Apparently you're wrong, because we have a serious culture problem on this team.

Not sure if you're aware but we had a poster, a mod in fact, post this in his argument that PC should also be fired:

"head coach's behavior that has slowly eroded the team culture."

then he went on to tell us in his very next post:

"I base all my opinions on my observation & by listening to the team coaches & it's players"

To top it all off, he posted this when we were 5-0 so we must know that he's observant to pick up on all that.

He then used his mod powers to delete his posts & every post that quoted it.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what u are talking about...anyone who thinks there is not great team culture on this team isn't listening to the players and quite frankly has no clue what they are talking about...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:46 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:How about Poona Ford? Freakin' UDFA who has easily been a top-10 defensive tackle in the league this season.

Gem after gem.

Seriously. Poona is a solid starting NFL DT who has only cost the Seahawks hundreds of thousands per year for his first three years. And next season, he'll cost a few million - either a first-round or second-round tender. I'd have guessed first-round, but others seem to think a second-round tender will be enough to keep him.
    Lagartixa
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 am
  • Schneider is awesome. Resurrecting Hyde, Collins, Scarborough, all the other guys mentioned above. Boy he makes some clutch finds. Hyde is a great player. I am not sure I am liking the Adams trade either, but I think he is going to play some excellent football in the next couple of months. Marquise Blair is a future star I think. Bruce Irvin was a great idea, hopefully he shines next year too. We may actually have a good defense next year.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am
  • Just as Lockett excels on the field in the scramble drill, I don't think there is another GM in the league that can compete with JS in that capacity. His prowess in acquisitions is unparalleled. What he may lack in draft assessment is more than made up by his scramble mode wheel and deal accomplishments.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:53 pm
  • Anyone who doesn't think that John Schneider is one of the best (if not, the best) GM's in the league, needs to have their head checked and football knowledge renewed.

He took Nick Vannett and dumped BJ Finney's ridiculous salary, and turned it into Carlos Dunlap and Quandre Diggs. Nuff said.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:50 am
  • Like any GM, he's missed on a few. But he's also made some incredible moves in free agency, UFA's and his drafts are not nearly as bad as many make them out to be.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:14 am
  • I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:30 am
  • Exactly why many of us are hoping he trades out of the 1st round as much as possible.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:30 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

The Bobby Bethard approach. The Washington Football team went from 1984 to 1990 with 0 first-round draft picks, yet via UDFAs and late-round picks the team won 3 Super Bowls and played in 4.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am
  • TypeSly wrote:Anyone who doesn't think that John Schneider is one of the best (if not, the best) GM's in the league, needs to have their head checked and football knowledge renewed.

He took Nick Vannett and dumped BJ Finney's ridiculous salary, and turned it into Carlos Dunlap and Quandre Diggs. Nuff said.

Brown
    Diggs
    Adams
    Dunbar
    Hyde
    Iupati
    Shell
    Dunlap
    Poona
    Mayowa
    Meyers

Draft aside, Schneider's hit rate on trades and free agent acquisitions is fantastic. Very few misses, and MANY major impacts.

Look around the league at all the teams struggling terribly to find a coach/GM combo that works, and works well.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:39 am
  • That's a solid list right there.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:33 pm
  • Well when you think it's bad just look at the Cowboys.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:53 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well when you think it's bad just look at the Cowboys.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario than an owner who thinks he's a GM bungling and ruining my team for decades.

At least with a bad owner you might luck out with GM and coach hires once every ten or twenty years, but the Cowboys don't have a chance of ever being good as long as Jones is upright.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well when you think it's bad just look at the Cowboys.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario than an owner who thinks he's a GM bungling and ruining my team for decades.

At least with a bad owner you might luck out with GM and coach hires once every ten or twenty years, but the Cowboys don't have a chance of ever being good as long as Jones is upright.

The saddest part is, they'll sometimes have seasons that are good enough to give the team hope for the future, but invariably they cannot sustain the success and regress back to league average or worse.

It's like purgatory.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:40 pm
  • I think the most credit still goes to Wilson as it's hard to win with a crap QB. But the thing about John is he is pretty relentless at scouring the market. Maybe not the best draft acumen but not the worst either.

But in FA and trades, he comes out ahead more often than not. If you look at the stars of the Carroll era, so many were late round picks, low budget FA's or trades for little capital.

Lynch
    Wilson
    Wagner
    Sherman
    Chancellor
    Avril
    Bennett
    Brown
    Metcalf
    Lockett
    Diggs
    Dunlap
    Carson
    Ford
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:52 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

The Bobby Bethard approach. The Washington Football team went from 1984 to 1990 with 0 first-round draft picks, yet via UDFAs and late-round picks the team won 3 Super Bowls and played in 4.

Well, with Schneider the Hawks have won 1 Super Bowl. He has some work to do.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

I suspect part of it is that the Seahawks front office and coaching staff use different measures of value than most teams, so the "obvious" choice sometimes is not at the top of the Seahawks' board. In other words, he's not "get[ting] cute"; he just disagrees with other GMs and especially talking-head draft "experts" on which are the best players available at any given point in a draft.
    Analyses of draft behavior and performance that I've seen suggest the Seahawks draft very differently from everyone else, and that overall, their approach is effective. And it's not just that they had one of the best drafts in history in 2012 (and I say "one of" because we can't forget how great the Steelers' 1969-1974 drafts were).
    Lagartixa
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

But they were also big at signing Free Agents, you know guys like Riggins, Doug Williams and many others. Why when Snyder bought them he figured he knew a formula just sign as many F.A.'S as you need and you will win.

You also needed George Allen and d*ck Vermeil to make it work with all those players as well.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:I think the most credit still goes to Wilson as it's hard to win with a crap QB. But the thing about John is he is pretty relentless at scouring the market. Maybe not the best draft acumen but not the worst either.

But in FA and trades, he comes out ahead more often than not. If you look at the stars of the Carroll era, so many were late round picks, low budget FA's or trades for little capital.

Lynch
    Wilson
    Wagner
    Sherman
    Chancellor
    Avril
    Bennett
    Brown
    Metcalf
    Lockett
    Diggs
    Dunlap
    Carson
    Ford

Part of the reason that JS doesn't shine as much on his draft "acumen" is because of the principles that he and Pete stand by. One example is what a lot of other teams will do, but they won't. They won't draft players that the team doesn't necessarily need, but they know teams behind them covet, to then use as trade bait with those teams. They feel it's a bit of a betrayal to the young man (to have his dreams fulfilled by getting drafted, by a team that he thinks wants him), and then to find out that he's just a commodity being sold to the highest bidder.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information