John Schneider

LTH

Reaction score
This guy is a beast... the way he comes up with players is amazing... Reed .. Neil... Dunlap the list is endless... think we have the best GM in football... the Seahawks have the best organization in the NFL it's apparent watching Dunlap's interviews after the game, I mean the guy is just giddy and so appreciative to be in Seattle... The culture of this organization is REALLY special unlike anything in the NFL...

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
How about Poona Ford? Freakin' UDFA who has easily been a top-10 defensive tackle in the league this season.

Gem after gem.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The John Schneider system is simply "get your guy". He is a lot like Bobby Beathard during his time building Washington Football Team (WFT) during the late 70s and 80s. He would always trade back and work the mid to late rounds to build a team that won 2 Super Bowls and played in Three.

Beathard did crazy things too during his time with WFT

Signed John Riggins as a "washed up" 27 year old as a free agent.
Signed Doug Williams after drafting two QBs.

Drafted Darrell Green in the first round from Texas A&M Kingsville when corners from ASU and LSU were still available.

Found All-Pro UDFA's during an era with 12 round NFL drafts.

John Schneider may not hit on first-rounders as much as we would like but he gets the right players and guys that contribute.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

The Dunlap trade was an absolute home run, and finding the diamonds in the rough like Reed and Neal are nice too.
I do think though you have to look at the absolute disaster of the Jamal Adams trade when analyzing John though (to be fair I think that trade was all Pete). That trade has been so bad I don't think you can just ignore it.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
iigakusei":2jr52lff said:
I think the culture is all Pete, what he has been able to build culture wise is amazing.

The Dunlap trade was an absolute home run, and finding the diamonds in the rough like Reed and Neal are nice too.
I do think though you have to look at the absolute disaster of the Jamal Adams trade when analyzing John though (to be fair I think that trade was all Pete). That trade has been so bad I don't think you can just ignore it.

Carroll is an amazing guy...I was pissed off at the end of the Holmgren era as I thought Holmgren sold out for money after asking the fans to drink the kool aid and when the Hawks Hired Carroll I was like WTH!!!

But Carroll was a total blessing in disguise... It wasn't until I read both of Carroll's books that I realized, wait a minute... we got something really special here...

It was really interesting watching the media try to understand what Carroll was about... they didn't get it for years... and the national media still doesn't get it as you can see it in Carrolls face when the media asks questions for the millionth time (Carroll rolls his eyes back that's not the way we think)... I think most people don't get it ... I would really recommend reading Carroll's book it brings things to light understanding what he is doing in the culture he is creating not just with the players but with the whole organization... the book brings a certain clarity to the way he thinks...

LTH

Tusc2000

Reaction score
LTH":3n4t930p said:
iigakusei":3n4t930p said:

Carroll is an amazing guy...I was pissed off at the end of the Holmgren era as I thought Holmgren sold out for money after asking the fans to drink the kool aid and when the Hawks Hired Carroll I was like WTH!!!

But Carroll was a total blessing in disguise... It wasn't until I read both of Carroll's books that I realized, wait a minute... we got something really special here...

It was really interesting watching the media try to understand what Carroll was about... they didn't get it for years... and the national media still doesn't get it as you can see it in Carrolls face when the media asks questions for the millionth time (Carroll rolls his eyes back that's not the way we think)... I think most people don't get it ... I would really recommend reading Carroll's book it brings things to light understanding what he is doing in the culture he is creating not just with the players but with the whole organization... the book brings a certain clarity to the way he thinks...

LTH

It's a very good book. And it gives a lot of insight as to why Pete didn't do well with the Jets or Pats -- and why he's been so successful here -- and at USC.

chris98251

Reaction score
All you have to do is listen to Adams, Diggs, and now Dunbar and Dunlap in their post game and press conferences to know this is like getting fresh air after breathing car exhaust for years, refreshing and bringing new enthusiasm for the game.

Reed coming from S.F also has been playing with a lot of heart and appreciates the Seahawks signing and waiting on him to get healthy.

John has taken chances on all of them except Diggs really, but paid to get him.

Everyone else had question marks about effort and character.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
iigakusei":2z34dh0p said:

Apparently you're wrong, because we have a serious culture problem on this team.

Not sure if you're aware but we had a poster, a mod in fact, post this in his argument that PC should also be fired:

"head coach's behavior that has slowly eroded the team culture."

then he went on to tell us in his very next post:

"I base all my opinions on my observation & by listening to the team coaches & it's players"

To top it all off, he posted this when we were 5-0 so we must know that he's observant to pick up on all that.

He then used his mod powers to delete his posts & every post that quoted it.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3wpqx48m said:
iigakusei":3wpqx48m said:

Apparently you're wrong, because we have a serious culture problem on this team.

Not sure if you're aware but we had a poster, a mod in fact, post this in his argument that PC should also be fired:

"head coach's behavior that has slowly eroded the team culture."

then he went on to tell us in his very next post:

"I base all my opinions on my observation & by listening to the team coaches & it's players"

To top it all off, he posted this when we were 5-0 so we must know that he's observant to pick up on all that.

He then used his mod powers to delete his posts & every post that quoted it.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what u are talking about...anyone who thinks there is not great team culture on this team isn't listening to the players and quite frankly has no clue what they are talking about...

LTH

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2u1nji7l said:
How about Poona Ford? Freakin' UDFA who has easily been a top-10 defensive tackle in the league this season.

Gem after gem.

Seriously. Poona is a solid starting NFL DT who has only cost the Seahawks hundreds of thousands per year for his first three years. And next season, he'll cost a few million - either a first-round or second-round tender. I'd have guessed first-round, but others seem to think a second-round tender will be enough to keep him.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Schneider is awesome. Resurrecting Hyde, Collins, Scarborough, all the other guys mentioned above. Boy he makes some clutch finds. Hyde is a great player. I am not sure I am liking the Adams trade either, but I think he is going to play some excellent football in the next couple of months. Marquise Blair is a future star I think. Bruce Irvin was a great idea, hopefully he shines next year too. We may actually have a good defense next year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Just as Lockett excels on the field in the scramble drill, I don't think there is another GM in the league that can compete with JS in that capacity. His prowess in acquisitions is unparalleled. What he may lack in draft assessment is more than made up by his scramble mode wheel and deal accomplishments.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't think that John Schneider is one of the best (if not, the best) GM's in the league, needs to have their head checked and football knowledge renewed.

He took Nick Vannett and dumped BJ Finney's ridiculous salary, and turned it into Carlos Dunlap and Quandre Diggs. Nuff said.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like any GM, he's missed on a few. But he's also made some incredible moves in free agency, UFA's and his drafts are not nearly as bad as many make them out to be.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

sdog1981

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ykdyzxr said:
I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

The Bobby Bethard approach. The Washington Football team went from 1984 to 1990 with 0 first-round draft picks, yet via UDFAs and late-round picks the team won 3 Super Bowls and played in 4.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TypeSly":10refzba said:
Anyone who doesn't think that John Schneider is one of the best (if not, the best) GM's in the league, needs to have their head checked and football knowledge renewed.

He took Nick Vannett and dumped BJ Finney's ridiculous salary, and turned it into Carlos Dunlap and Quandre Diggs. Nuff said.

Brown
Diggs
Adams
Dunbar
Hyde
Iupati
Shell
Dunlap
Poona
Mayowa
Meyers

Draft aside, Schneider's hit rate on trades and free agent acquisitions is fantastic. Very few misses, and MANY major impacts.

Look around the league at all the teams struggling terribly to find a coach/GM combo that works, and works well.