Accountability Defensive Meeting

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is interesting...

So what caused that dramatic of a shift? Carroll said it started with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., who has been under a lot of scrutiny this year due to the defense’s play.

“It was Wednesday night and Kenny had a meeting where the players all go through their own position and what they have to do in some of our base calls, and it was one of the most remarkable defensive meetings I’ve ever been in,” Carroll said. “Every single guy just riffed on what he’s supposed to do, who he’s supposed to communicate with, how it’s supposed to work out, what you can count on coming from me. And then the next guy and the next guy, one after another after another (took their turn).”

Carroll called the meeting one of accountability and said that it allowed that group to get to “the next step” both as a defense and as an entire football team.

“I said something when we met as a team after that. I said something to the whole team of ‘Something just happened here’ and we’ve kind of evolved to the point where now we can go play,” Carroll said. “I thought it was just the first illustration of we’ll go play better now. We’ll get better than what we looked like the other night and we’ll continue to improve. It’s really exciting because it’s been a long haul and guys have had to go through a lot… to get there. … It’s a big step for us and I know everyone’s excited about that and I certainly am, too.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1224608/ ... s-defense/

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Should have been done long before the night before game 10
Ffs

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think that is what preseason is for. That did not happen and they probably do that a few times thru the year to re-assess the situation and regain their bearings as to the job at hand. Again, with all the garbage going on...they have had to adapt and it is gonna take a bit to recover from it.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":5bwnc6ic said:
I think that is what preseason is for. That did not happen and they probably do that a few times thru the year to re-assess the situation and regain their bearings as to the job at hand. Again, with all the garbage going on...they have had to adapt and it is gonna take a bit to recover from it.
The only adjustments they needed to make was to stop playing sandlot style and get back to organized team ball

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BChawkfan":176uv6dp said:
Seahawkfan80":176uv6dp said:
The only adjustments they needed to make was to stop playing sandlot style and get back to organized team ball

Sometimes sandlot ball is what is necessary. Other teams recognize patterns....change the pattern....sandlot style.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
BChawkfan":x497q6b7 said:
Ffs
It takes enough real game scenario reps to get everyone to the level of trust that everyone will be where they're supposed to be. The more new players you add, the longer it takes and it's not just the new guys that have to adjust/learn. I'm not surprised that it took longer this year with how abnormal things were pre-season and camp. Hopefully it really is true improvement in understanding and not just one of those random decent games.

chris98251

Reaction score
How many new pieces do we have?

The defense with the LOB had to have several meetings that had to work on assignments and communication issues also.

Our secondary has been a musical chairs game since the start of the season.

You need something to trigger a meeting like this, you need guys to be pissed at what's happening and then you need a bonding moment that brings all these cast offs and new signings together. Pride, Trust, Accountability from all the players and Coaches.

Will it stick, maybe, will it take a few more, maybe, but you have to start with a foundation and something that brings everyone together, Norton obviously seen it, his 49er, Cowboy and LOB time with the Seahawks experience I think enabled him to pull this off as a DC, Bobby and Diggs and the D line leaders are still finding there way I think.

Bobby isn't that fiery Vocal guy, we needed someone that could cut thru stuff. Norton if you ever seen him play is or was as a player very intense.

Kam, Sherman, Earl, Brandon all had that intensity also.

I think Diggs and Adams can be those guys but they are still getting entrenched here and I am sure there is some afraid to step on toes happening.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":978m1aiw said:

Insightful post. Add on that it's not just the Hawks dealing with this, that league-wide, the offenses have been ahead of the defenses for the first 8-10 weeks. Russell and the Hawks O feasted on defenses really up through week 8, and it was week 9 in Buffalo and week 10 vs LA where Russell and the O really hit the skids.

This is really a patchwork, next-man-up defense, with both starting corners out, a preseason-less rookie LB in Jordyn Brooks, several brand-new-to-the-team guys in DE Dunlap, CB Reed, SS Jamal Adams, CB Dunbar, and rookie "draft bust" LJ Collier in his 2nd year, now getting his chance to show he's not a bust. Lots of newness to integrate into this D without a preseason.

So I guess Ken Norton Jr. gets a one-week reprieve from the "Fire Norton!" threads?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
BChawkfan":2hzh2x5e said:
Ffs

Seriously my thinking as well...so 9 games later they're like oh wait, maybe people don't know their assignments. We should check on that...

ZagHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":18ecziar said:
I think Diggs and Adams can be those guys but they are still getting entrenched here and I am sure there is some afraid to step on toes happening.

I don't think Adams has that kind of clout in the locker room at this time, sure he's looked great rushing the pasher, but he hasn't exactly been killing it in the secondary to be someone getting on everyone else's ass about them failing their assignments. You can say his reputaiton should precedes him, but you could say the same about ET going to Baltimore and sounds like they didn't like him much.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1bdsqsv1 said:
chris98251":1bdsqsv1 said:

I don't think Adams has that kind of clout in the locker room at this time, sure he's looked great rushing the pasher, but he hasn't exactly been killing it in the secondary to be someone getting on everyone else's ass about them failing their assignments. You can say his reputaiton should precedes him, but you could say the same about ET going to Baltimore and sounds like they didn't like him much.
No, but he does try like hell to lead by example, ESPECIALLY the intensity; IF he's freed up & used right, he will be worth every Draft trade and move that Pete & John made to get him into a Seahawks Uni...So far?, there's a Night & Day difference between Thomas', and Adams' attitude, and the fact that ET's shitty attitude carried over into the Ravens Locker room, tells me that Pete & John really had no choice but to send his ass packing....Same with Richard Sherman.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If this team wins the Super Bowl, that Wednesday night meeting will be something to highlight a couple months from now.

Sometimes in life, you just have to press the reset button. If it takes a simple AA style meeting for our defensive players to turn it around, then that's great.

Vesuve

Reaction score
BChawkfan":39vlqnd0 said:
Ffs

Yeah,

And also possible, "Pete-Talk."

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":329ve0y6 said:
This is interesting...

So what caused that dramatic of a shift? Carroll said it started with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., who has been under a lot of scrutiny this year due to the defense’s play.

“It was Wednesday night and Kenny had a meeting where the players all go through their own position and what they have to do in some of our base calls, and it was one of the most remarkable defensive meetings I’ve ever been in,” Carroll said. “Every single guy just riffed on what he’s supposed to do, who he’s supposed to communicate with, how it’s supposed to work out, what you can count on coming from me. And then the next guy and the next guy, one after another after another (took their turn).”

Carroll called the meeting one of accountability and said that it allowed that group to get to “the next step” both as a defense and as an entire football team.

“I said something when we met as a team after that. I said something to the whole team of ‘Something just happened here’ and we’ve kind of evolved to the point where now we can go play,” Carroll said. “I thought it was just the first illustration of we’ll go play better now. We’ll get better than what we looked like the other night and we’ll continue to improve. It’s really exciting because it’s been a long haul and guys have had to go through a lot… to get there. … It’s a big step for us and I know everyone’s excited about that and I certainly am, too.”

I'm glad this happened, but the very first thing that popped into my head was "Why the hell didn't this happen weeks ago??" And by weeks, I mean, like, 8 weeks ago. Sheesh.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1qbyqoma said:
Aros":1qbyqoma said:
This is interesting...

I'm glad this happened, but the very first thing that popped into my head was "Why the hell didn't this happen weeks ago??" And by weeks, I mean, like, 8 weeks ago. Sheesh.
The first step to recovery Jazz is admitting that you have a problem. Pete just did that, now we may recover... Hopefully, or go into relapse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well you didn't have Carlos as a DE, we had a rotating number of players off and on IR, we had issues but you also had a lot of built in excuses.