Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The writing is on the wall for Chris Carson

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • And probably Carlos Hyde too, for next season. John Schneider is always thinking ahead, and his plan for the running game looks pretty clear going forward. He's loaded up on young, promising RB's and giving them all touches and game experience this season. This (to me) clearly shows that they don't plan on signing CC for the big bucks he wants after ths season.

Him and Pete also like to feature players (that they plan to trade) and then get RW to talk them up on national television to up their value before they pull the trigger. After this last game with a run-heavy scheme, I'm suspecting that they just did that with Carlos Hyde as well. They've done that with quite a few players in the past (Fant, Vannett, Clowney etc.)

Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• I really like Carson. He’s always banged up but I really hope we can find a way to keep him. Penny is talented and has the speed but I wouldn’t be comfortable yet having him at RB1 with the Miami guys backing him. We see this season , things get kinda scary on the goal line. Carson would’ve been money on 4th and inches also
    Genka
    NET Bench Warmer

• I’m not completely disagreeing with you on Carson but I think your assessment of the RB room might be a bit off. With Carson out injured like he has been, I think this actually increases his chances of resigning. There are a lot of RBs going into this off-season that are free agents. Because of the glut of RBs on the market, the inevitable decrease in salary cap and his persistent injury history, he won’t be able to get what he wants $ wise in a contract with another team. I think once he tests FA and doesn’t get what he and his agent thinks he’s worth, he might be resigned on a one year prove it type deal.

As far as the other RBs on the roster, Hyde was signed as insurance behind Carson and because Penny would miss significant time this season. Travis Homer was drafted the year before for depth. DeeJay Dallas was drafted this year for the same thing. In season this year there has been an obvious need for healthy bodies with the top 3 guys being out at the same time. This the signings of Collins and Scarborough. The end of last year showed what a need RB depth was and continues to be.

Now if Penny comes back in the next game and completely lights it up the latter part of the season, then they might not even look to resign Carson no matter what. The last 6 games are extremely important for Carson in his impending free agency and whether or not the Seahawks will want to resign him.

One could argue that signing Hyde was not only to cover for Penny missing substantial games in 2020 but also for the eventual loss of Carson in FA. I believe Hyde was signed for 2 years but I could be wrong.

To summarize, Carson’s future with the team is 50/50 at best. If he comes back strong, plays like we know he can, and helps significantly in helping the team to a deep playoff run then he most likely will be resigned. In the OP, there was mention of trading Hyde. This years trade deadline has passed unless you were talking about an offseason trade. If it’s offseason, I don’t see that happening because of the amount of FA RBs available. Plus you can get fairly serviceable backs in the draft.

Also with the limited number of draft picks I don’t see them using one on a running back. Of course we can almost be assured that Schneider will come out of the draft with more picks than he started with.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• TypeSly wrote:And probably Carlos Hyde too, for next season. John Schneider is always thinking ahead, and his plan for the running game looks pretty clear going forward. He's loaded up on young, promising RB's and giving them all touches and game experience this season. This (to me) clearly shows that they don't plan on signing CC for the big bucks he wants after ths season.

Him and Pete also like to feature players (that they plan to trade) and then get RW to talk them up on national television to up their value before they pull the trigger. After this last game with a run-heavy scheme, I'm suspecting that they just did that with Carlos Hyde as well. They've done that with quite a few players in the past (Fant, Vannett, Clowney etc.)

Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

How did we possible feature Fant and Clowney who both left as a free agents, as for the rest of your post, sure.
    907Hawk
    NET Starter

• If he comes back and stays healthy, I think he stays a Seahawk.

He's earned it with his play, and there's no reason to expect a drop off in production for the remainder and next season.

The eye test shows Carson is heads above the other contenders that you mentioned.

I would say steep drop-off after Carson.
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran

• I think everyone loves Carson, including his teammates. If he was healthy this season, I think we'd be 9-1 at this point easily, but because he's often out of the line-up, our running game is always in limbo. Noticing how loaded up we are with RB's, and how many of them are carrying the load for periods at a time, it certainly seems like job auditions to me. With CC slated to make big bucks after this season, I just don't see JS and Pete ready to gamble and potentially handcuffing themselves, with a long term contract.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• 907Hawk wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:And probably Carlos Hyde too, for next season. John Schneider is always thinking ahead, and his plan for the running game looks pretty clear going forward. He's loaded up on young, promising RB's and giving them all touches and game experience this season. This (to me) clearly shows that they don't plan on signing CC for the big bucks he wants after ths season.

How did we possible feature Fant and Clowney who both left as a free agents, as for the rest of your post, sure.

I remember someone in the media mentioning that Seattle always features the players that they feature players that they don't plan to hang onto on nationally televised games, and those were the names that came into mind. Oops :oops:
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Palmegranite wrote:If he comes back and stays healthy, I think he stays a Seahawk.

He's earned it with his play, and there's no reason to expect a drop off in production for the remainder and next season.

The eye test shows Carson is heads above the other contenders that you mentioned.

I would say steep drop-off after Carson.

Yeah, but it's all about paying the big bucks on a gamble that he will stay healthy. It's also hard to explain how loaded up we are at the RB position, and how many of them are getting game action all of a sudden.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:I’m not completely disagreeing with you on Carson but I think your assessment of the RB room might be a bit off. With Carson out injured like he has been, I think this actually increases his chances of resigning. There are a lot of RBs going into this off-season that are free agents. Because of the glut of RBs on the market, the inevitable decrease in salary cap and his persistent injury history, he won’t be able to get what he wants $ wise in a contract with another team. I think once he tests FA and doesn’t get what he and his agent thinks he’s worth, he might be resigned on a one year prove it type deal.

As far as the other RBs on the roster, Hyde was signed as insurance behind Carson and because Penny would miss significant time this season. Travis Homer was drafted the year before for depth. DeeJay Dallas was drafted this year for the same thing. In season this year there has been an obvious need for healthy bodies with the top 3 guys being out at the same time. This the signings of Collins and Scarborough. The end of last year showed what a need RB depth was and continues to be.

Now if Penny comes back in the next game and completely lights it up the latter part of the season, then they might not even look to resign Carson no matter what. The last 6 games are extremely important for Carson in his impending free agency and whether or not the Seahawks will want to resign him.

One could argue that signing Hyde was not only to cover for Penny missing substantial games in 2020 but also for the eventual loss of Carson in FA. I believe Hyde was signed for 2 years but I could be wrong.

To summarize, Carson’s future with the team is 50/50 at best. If he comes back strong, plays like we know he can, and helps significantly in helping the team to a deep playoff run then he most likely will be resigned. In the OP, there was mention of trading Hyde. This years trade deadline has passed unless you were talking about an offseason trade. If it’s offseason, I don’t see that happening because of the amount of FA RBs available. Plus you can get fairly serviceable backs in the draft.

Also with the limited number of draft picks I don’t see them using one on a running back. Of course we can almost be assured that Schneider will come out of the draft with more picks than he started with.

Carson knowing his own injury history, there's no way he's signing for one, or even two years. I'd be all-in for signing him up to big bucks on a short term contract, but I doubt he's going for that. And yes I'm aware that the trade-deadline has passed, so this is my guess in what's coming after this season is over.

On a side note, I hope that CC doesn't carry a huge load when he comes back, because we need him healthy for the playoffs. So if he doesn't, it's hard to test his durability for the rest of this season. Either way, it's already an injury-filled season for him, in that sense.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• I'd give Carson like $13million over two years. If he wants more, sorry, he's great but just hurt too damn often.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• he's earned it
    xray
    NET Veteran

• He is a player, he is productive, and above else he brings a mentality that few other backs less Hyde right now has.

Plug and play doesn't work in this offense, you have to have the right demeanor also which Carson has, Penny looked to finally be getting it and then boom he was out, time will tell if he comes back with a chip on his shoulder or not.

On a side note Collins, Hyde, and Bo have a mentality that works and the body type to do it over a season as well, they are not on a Carson level however in my mind, half a step back.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Penny had yet to play this year and he’s coming off an ACL tear. He is only currently signed through 2021.

Hyde is a free agent after this season.

The only other players in the active roster are Dallas and Homer.

Collins and Bo are not on the active roster.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Basis4day wrote:Penny had yet to play this year and he’s coming off an ACL tear. He is only currently signed through 2021.

Hyde is a free agent after this season.

The only other players in the active roster are Dallas and Homer.

Collins and Bo are not on the active roster.

The active roster situation is just for the time being. Just curous, (a) do you think the Seahawks will re-sign him long term? (b) Do you think they should?
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Clear? How so?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• I think his injury history will bring his price down enough to re-sign him to something reasonable.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• So you create speculation out of thin air (i.e. talking up players on the trade block)....and based on THAT speculation, you conclude that Carson will not be re-signed???
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

• Nunya wrote:So you create speculation out of thin air (i.e. talking up players on the trade block)....and based on THAT speculation, you conclude that Carson will not be re-signed???

Yup, I think I made it pretty clear that this is my speculation. Seeing that we're stacked up on RB's all of a sudden, and the unusual rotation that they've been used in the last few weeks.

As for talking up the players, I may have used the wrong examples, but they do seem to have a history of doing that. I never realized that until I saw that one segment where someone was talking about it. That was just a sidenote on my opinion that they might be letting Hyde go as well. But I definitely think they're either letting Carson go, or being prepared to let him go after this season. His position might have weakened a little, since he got hurt again... but I remember hearing him say (before the season started) that he wanted to get paid, what he felt like he deserved, and that was top-5 RB money. He also said his goal was to play all 16 games, plus playoffs too.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:I think his injury history will bring his price down enough to re-sign him to something reasonable.

I would love for that to be the case, but I don't see it happening only because I don't think that the money as much of the issue, as is the length of term. I think (as most players would) that he wants security, especially at such a volatile position. Personally, I don't think JS and PC, are ready to sign him long term at his demands, and I doubt that he'll go for a one year deal. I think more than likely, he tests out the market to see if any team will.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:he's earned it

what hes earned is a below market contract cuz hes never gonna give you a full season

anything close to 10 mill per year would be a tragic mistake
    misfit
    NET Starter

• TypeSly wrote:
    Nunya wrote:So you create speculation out of thin air (i.e. talking up players on the trade block)....and based on THAT speculation, you conclude that Carson will not be re-signed???

Yup, I think I made it pretty clear that this is my speculation. Seeing that we're stacked up on RB's all of a sudden, and the unusual rotation that they've been used in the last few weeks.

As for talking up the players, I may have used the wrong examples, but they do seem to have a history of doing that. I never realized that until I saw that one segment where someone was talking about it. That was just a sidenote on my opinion that they might be letting Hyde go as well. But I definitely think they're either letting Carson go, or being prepared to let him go after this season. His position might have weakened a little, since he got hurt again... but I remember hearing him say (before the season started) that he wanted to get paid, what he felt like he deserved, and that was top-5 RB money. He also said his goal was to play all 16 games, plus playoffs too.

Who are you talking about when you refer to featuring players to help their trade status?

The trade deadline has passed. Hyde is only signed for this year. Collins and Bo aren’t on the active roster. Plus Bo is hurt.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• All pending FA's are going to have a tough time with the cap dropping a significant amount.

I don't see Carson getting anything close to probable contract demands. It doesn't matter how good a player is if always injured.

His best bet this off-season is a short term contract until the Covid issue is behind us.

Personally I think a combination of Penny and Hyde with the young backs in reserve is plenty. I just think Carson is going to want more than we can offer to him.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• I love Carson, for everything he brings on the field. Sadly, the dude has proven he just can't stay healthy. Whether that's bad luck or running style or a combo doesn't really matter in the end. The truth is, we can't sign him to a massive deal based on his injury history, period. Now if he can swallow a bit of ego and pride and re-sign at a reasonable price, I would love, love, love to see him in a Seahawks uniform next season.

I just don't know if he will do that, and while I get it, it would be a shame for both sides. But in the end? You can't reward perpetual injury history, no matter how productive on the field they are.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I love Carson and would like to hang on to him -- for as long as it's financially feasible. That said, many NFL RBs have a short shelf life, but ours tend to get nicked up more than most. Some team out there will likely offer more than we can when Carson enters free agency. Given his injury history, I don't think we'd get a ton for him in a trade, so I'd like to get as much mileage from him for as long as we can.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

• Deciding to make Penny the Hawks feature back going forward would be a huge gamble. I don't see it happening. More likely he's let go.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I love Carson, for everything he brings on the field. Sadly, the dude has proven he just can't stay healthy. Whether that's bad luck or running style or a combo doesn't really matter in the end. The truth is, we can't sign him to a massive deal based on his injury history, period. Now if he can swallow a bit of ego and pride and re-sign at a reasonable price, I would love, love, love to see him in a Seahawks uniform next season.

I just don't know if he will do that, and while I get it, it would be a shame for both sides. But in the end? You can't reward perpetual injury history, no matter how productive on the field they are.

Yeah. He won't het his asking price, but he may get slightly more than we will offer. I'd say there is a 40% likelihood of CC playing for us next year. Penny is more of an unknown. Be very interesting to see how each of them performs down the stretch and revisit this thread at season's end.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

• If Penny returns to the form he showed in his last two games, I can see him competing for the #1 slot. He definitely does not have the ground and pound, hard nose Lynch and Carson running mode but, he has many other attributes which make him an attractive option.

Ultimately. I'd like to see CC resigned. I just don't think it will happen. There seems to always be a team willing to pick up the price tag on good FA RBs. CC has earned it for sure. I think it'll be one of those last minute "he looks like he'll be a Hawk again...wait, ______ just gave him $30M for xxxxx years" kind of thing.

It would be great to have the "1-2 punch" Pete Carroll mentioned long ago. When he made that statement, I thought it sounded crazy as hell. Then, Penny started to flash.

Rewind a bit...besides not liking first round RB picks...I was intrigued. Watched highlight films and thought "ok...this could be good". Then found out about his conditioning and minor injuries...got down on him even more for a few games where, in hindsight, he wasn't utilized properly. At the time though, "he sucks" came to mind.

Then he started killing it.

I see us drafting another RB next year. As crazy as that sounds. You need insurance. Particularly at that position. Having a stable of injury prone or just coming off a major injury does not bid you well. Hoping for pass rush, at least one corner, and o-line but...we'll see.

Maybe we'll get comfortable with DJ Dallas as our "insurance"...time will tell.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

• TypeSly wrote:Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

Penny is even less dependable right now than Carson, so I can't imagine Pete and John would be OK going into 2021 with him as our featured back.

He hasn't proven it on the field, or with being dependable to stay healthy.

I could see us signing Carson to a reasonable one year deal, because you have to remember like Clowney there aren't going to be any other teams willing to give Carson a massive new contract either. He's a great RB when healthy, but he's never been healthy for an entire season.

So why not sign him to a 7-8M one year deal? Again, it'd make me VERY nervous if we went into 2021 counting on Penny, health wise, or effectiveness wise. He hasn't proven either.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I personally don’t think Seattle has a star running back currently,

I think Carson is gone after this season and they try to fix the defense and a they’ll draft another running back.

Penny has been a wasted first rounder and will not be extended.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I'm curious how Seattle compares to other teams in the last decade regarding how often they've drafted a RB in the first few rounds.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• It would be be sad to see CC go but it would be a gamble to sign him to a huge contact. If Hyde continues running like he did last week he might earn a contract here. Hyde,Penny,Dallas and a another development back wouldnt be bad
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• I don't get where you're thinking that we're stacked at RB. Dallas and Homer are role players, they are both decidedly mediocre as runners. Dallas is really good catching the ball and running routes, and Homer is a good pass blocking specialist. As pure runners they are nothing special, if not a liability at times. They are NOT the future.

Penny on the other hand is an enigma. He's been consistently inconsistent, and he still seemed to have a hard time with the basic procedural stuff. He had a few really good games, but it seems with Penny that often times it's one step forward, one step back. To add to this, Penny has an even worse track record of staying healthy than even Carson has. I don't think this guy can be relied on, and he has yet to show that he is a complete runner.

Carson is really the only guy that can do it all. He is decisive and he makes the players around him better. I suspect we'll be able to get Carson for pennies on the dollar due to his health history.

Even so, I don't think that our backfield is in a good spot even with Carson, just due to none of our players being able to stay healthy. I think we're probably looking at the possibility of another back in the draft.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• The major factor that suggests Carson may be gone is that he is going to be an unrestricted free agent. Look back over the last few years and you'll see all of our valuable UFAs have left.

- 2020 Clowney 13m AAV to TEN
    - 2020 Fant 10m to NYJ
    - 2020 QJeff 7m to BUF
    - 2019 ET3 14m to BAL
    - 2019 JC 9m to DET
    - 2019 Sweezy 5m to ARI
    - 2018 PRich 8m to WAS
    - 2018 Jimmy 10m to GB
    - 2018 Sherman 9m to SF (released by us)
    - 2018 Richardson 8m to MIN
    - 2017 we had no pricey UFAs

When a good player has been headed for UFA we have either extended them early, or lost them once they hit free agency. The lone exception was KJ Wright in 2019, who was coming off a knee injury and re-signed with us despite being an unrestricted free agent.

I suspect we valued KJ more highly than most other teams did, knew more about his injury history, and then KJ really wanted to be here instead of elsewhere. If all three of those things are also true about Carson then there's a chance he may follow in KJ's footsteps, but otherwise it is very likely that he'll get a better offer from at least one other team and take it.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• The Hawks have a history of great running backs that are durable. I would like to see us get back to that. Way to many injuries have left us rotating a bunch of meh players. I have no desire to see Homer play. We dont really think about show casing players for trade. We cannot fool ourselves about values of a player (Clowney).
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

Penny is even less dependable right now than Carson, so I can't imagine Pete and John would be OK going into 2021 with him as our featured back.

I could see us signing Carson to a reasonable one year deal, because you have to remember like Clowney there aren't going to be any other teams willing to give Carson a massive new contract either. He's a great RB when healthy, but he's never been healthy for an entire season.

So why not sign him to a 7-8M one year deal? Again, it'd make me VERY nervous if we went into 2021 counting on Penny, health wise, or effectiveness wise. He hasn't proven either.

I think all of the Seahawks' fanbase would agree with you, in being nervous with Penny as our feature back going into next season. Also, I'm sure everyone would be over the moon to see Carson back next year in a Seattle uniform, especially if it's on a short term contract. I just don't think he's going to accept a one-year contract, because he'll be essentially putting himself back in a position of auditioning for the big contract, that he thinks he deserves now.

It just seems to me, the way they've used multiple backs (since the CC injury), even while the others were healthy, that they're taking a look at what the options are, if they can't come to terms with CC going forward.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:I don't get where you're thinking that we're stacked at RB. Dallas and Homer are role players, they are both decidedly mediocre as runners. Dallas is really good catching the ball and running routes, and Homer is a good pass blocking specialist. As pure runners they are nothing special, if not a liability at times. They are NOT the future.

Penny on the other hand is an enigma. He's been consistently inconsistent, and he still seemed to have a hard time with the basic procedural stuff. He had a few really good games, but it seems with Penny that often times it's one step forward, one step back. To add to this, Penny has an even worse track record of staying healthy than even Carson has. I don't think this guy can be relied on, and he has yet to show that he is a complete runner.

Carson is really the only guy that can do it all. He is decisive and he makes the players around him better. I suspect we'll be able to get Carson for pennies on the dollar due to his health history.

Even so, I don't think that our backfield is in a good spot even with Carson, just due to none of our players being able to stay healthy. I think we're probably looking at the possibility of another back in the draft.

I'm not saying we're stacked in the RB department, in terms of talent (especially without CC). But they've certainly been stacking them up for usage these past 4 games. The reason why I'm speculating that the usage seems to be more like auditoning, because if they were just filling in the hole that CC's and Hyde's injuries cause, I feel like they would have just went with DJ Dallas and Homer. Here's how it went:

vs SF: Dallas.
    vs Buffalo: Dallas, and Homer.
    vs LA Rams: Collins
    vs AZ: Hyde and Scarborough

There doesn't seem to be any talk of re-signing Hyde after this season. So if CC doesn't get re-signed, Penny is really the only one who is in the position to be a feature back, unless we get one through free agency, or draft one. Penny could and should be a star, if he can stay healthy. Everyone including the staff would love to have Carson back, but it sure seems like they're taking a serious look at the possibility of not having him for next season.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• I say a RB will be again drafted fairly high next year whether Carson is resigned or not. If he is resigned it better be a team friendly deal. Dallas and Homer are role players and it's obvious. Penny ...? Collins and Scarborough were emergency stop-gaps. Cripes, last year they brought back Marshawn freakin' Lynch. Hyde has helped, but can't be a multi-year solution. It's a weird mishmash right now. If Pete wants to really run the ball, there ain't enough there to get it done.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

I think all of the Seahawks' fanbase would agree with you, in being nervous with Penny as our feature back going into next season. Also, I'm sure everyone would be over the moon to see Carson back next year in a Seattle uniform, especially if it's on a short term contract. I just don't think he's going to accept a one-year contract, because he'll be essentially putting himself back in a position of auditioning for the big contract, that he thinks he deserves now.

It just seems to me, the way they've used multiple backs (since the CC injury), even while the others were healthy, that they're taking a look at what the options are, if they can't come to terms with CC going forward.

That's OK if he's not happy accepting one year deal, but that will be the reality of his free agency.

RB's are already the most devalued position group, for the very reason we're discussing, they break down and are no longer the feature offensive weapon in the large majority of offenses.

So Carson can be mad all he wants, no team is going to give an often injured top 10 RB a monster extension. It's just not going to happen. Now maybe someone else will give him a bigger one year deal? Or a two year incentive laden deal? Idk. But that won't be us. Too many other guys to extend and holes to fill next off season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Disagree, with Covid next years Cap is going to be a lot lower and a lot of contracts will need to be less, best option for all marquee players that are UDFA is to sign a reasonable one and wait for the Cap to pop back up with Fans and revenue back to normal levels.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Such a weird month of March-type thread...

Who is going to give Carson big money? He's never been a bell cow. He's never played a full season. And his numbers have come on one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. Someone might give him a prove it deal, but why wouldn't that someone be us?
    Own The West
    NET Starter

• Rat wrote:I'd give Carson like $13million over two years. If he wants more, sorry, he's great but just hurt too damn often.

This is how i see it but my guess is a 1 year deal might be more likely. With the injuries and cap not going up and possible going down i just don't see Carson getting paid this offseason.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Own The West wrote:Such a weird month of March-type thread...

Who is going to give Carson big money? He's never been a bell cow. He's never played a full season. And his numbers have come on one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. Someone might give him a prove it deal, but why wouldn't that someone be us?

Hey, it's all about what someone would pay, and what he will accept. *Not what we all think he deserves. You guys all seem to think that it's so simple, that he'll just take a short term contract at much less than he stated, that he was looking for. It sounds like, if you guys were the GM's, the deal would already be done.

I pray that you guys are right, but something tells me, it's not that simple.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Own The West wrote:Such a weird month of March-type thread...

Prostats records indicate Carson played in 14 and 15 games in 2018, 2019 respectively. I don't recall why he missed those few games, but to be fair, this portrayal of him being unreliable or unhealthy doesn't appear to be accurate.
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran

• Palmegranite wrote:
    Own The West wrote:Such a weird month of March-type thread...

Prostats records indicate Carson played in 14 and 15 games in 2018, 2019 respectively. I don't recall why he missed those few games, but to be fair, this portrayal of him being unreliable or unhealthy doesn't appear to be accurate.

We've been through this. He was hurt almost all of his rookie season (2017) where he played 4 games. He was taken out of the game early multiple times during the next two seasons, and was out for the playoffs in each year except 2018, where he came back for one game of the playoffs (while still injured), and that resulted in 13 carries for 20 yards, and a Seahawks loss. Out again last year for hip surgery just before the playoffs. With extra time to heal and rehab this season, was taken out of the game a few times prior to game 6, in which he got hurt mid-game. Might return in week 12.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• I'm a CC fan. He's as tough as they come. But he's a RB that would rather run over people than run around them. Because of that type of running style, his body takes a lot of punishment which is exactly why we see him missing time on occasion.

Carson is only 26 years old, but because of the pounding he takes, he likely has a body of a RB years older. Because of this, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, and the only way I would extend him is if it's on a very team friendly contract for 1-3 years max. If he's looking for top 5 RB money, I would just have to tell him, "thank you for being a great Seahawk, and I wish you all the best."

Even if he was worth top 5 RB money, we can't afford to pay him that when we have so many other holes to fill on both the OL and DL, secondary, and depth at WR and LB. And we need to do that with a cap that is almost certainly going to be lower than it was this year. JS is going to have his hands full for sure. Will be very interesting to see how he handles it.

Of course that's going to leave us with a big hole at RB, but I guess I'm in the minority in believing that Penny can be a featured back based on what he was doing before he got hurt. And he's shown flashes in other games as well, but has never gotten the amount of carries that a RB needs in order to get into a rhythm. More importantly, they need to learn how to use him properly. He's not a CC ground and pound type of back.

I agree with others that Dallas and Homer are nothing more than situational role players. But just like they did with Hyde this year, they can either resign him, or find someone similar on a reasonable contract to rotate with Penny at a cost much lower than it would take to resign Carson. And with a lower cap, there should be plenty of them out there to choose from.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

• TraderGary wrote:I'm a CC fan. He's as tough as they come. But he's a RB that would rather run over people than run around them. Because of that type of running style, his body takes a lot of punishment which is exactly why we see him missing time on occasion.

Carson is only 26 years old, but because of the pounding he takes, he likely has a body of a RB years older. Because of this, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, and the only way I would extend him is if it's on a very team friendly contract for 1-3 years max. If he's looking for top 5 RB money, I would just have to tell him, "thank you for being a great Seahawk, and I wish you all the best."

Even if he was worth top 5 RB money, we can't afford to pay him that when we have so many other holes to fill on both the OL and DL, secondary, and depth at WR and LB. And we need to do that with a cap that is almost certainly going to be lower than it was this year. JS is going to have his hands full for sure. Will be very interesting to see how he handles it.

Of course that's going to leave us with a big hole at RB, but I guess I'm in the minority in believing that Penny can be a featured back based on what he was doing before he got hurt. And he's shown flashes in other games as well, but has never gotten the amount of carries that a RB needs in order to get into a rhythm. More importantly, they need to learn how to use him properly. He's not a CC ground and pound type of back.

I agree with others that Dallas and Homer are nothing more than situational role players. But just like they did with Hyde this year, they can either resign him, or find someone similar on a reasonable contract to rotate with Penny at a cost much lower than it would take to resign Carson. And with a lower cap, there should be plenty of them out there to choose from.

This is where you are wrong, mentality , hands he catches well, he blocks, he runs with purpose and breaks tackles after contact when others will go down, he strives for the extra yard where others will go down he has good speed to go with all that and is a great team mate, leader, and motivator.

Thats quite a package, now go to Walmart and find one with all that, only thing I wish he had was some thickness to his legs and body, that would mean about 20 more pounds. which would take him from 222 to 242 a more ideal size for what we ask.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The cap next year has everything to do with signing him.
    I think he is gone unless he agrees to a lower one year deal,
    who knows how he sees it.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• TreeRon wrote:Deciding to make Penny the Hawks feature back going forward would be a huge gamble. I don't see it happening. More likely he's let go.

Let go? If you are saying he will be let go before his contract is up, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just look at CJ Procise as an example of this. He could injure himself making a sandwich, yet they held onto him through the end of his contract. Penny has shown much more upside than Procise and has contributed more. Let’s see how he plays until the end of his contract before putting a fork in him.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:Deciding to make Penny the Hawks feature back going forward would be a huge gamble. I don't see it happening. More likely he's let go.

Let go? If you are saying he will be let go before his contract is up, you couldn’t be more wrong. Just look at CJ Procise as an example of this. He could injure himself making a sandwich, yet they held onto him through the end of his contract. Penny has shown much more upside than Procise and has contributed more. Let’s see how he plays until the end of his contract before putting a fork in him.

I don't think TR thinks he'll be released; next to no chance of that. But there is virtually no way he is the feature back next year.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Just wait and see. Next year will be a RB by committee approach.

No one RB will be the feature back on this team. I see Penny and probably Hyde as a solid tandem with different running styles. Hyde will assume the Carson physical running style and Penny will be the cut and slash who outruns the defense. Dallas will be the third down back. Backing them will be Homer and Scarborough. That is if we don't take a RB in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I don't see a drafted RB as we have few picks and more important needs.

We also have Collins who might stick around in some form or another. Possibly even an FA who needs a fresh start and will sign an incentive laden deal. Who knows. Carson I'm almost certain is gone.

The RB position just by its nature causes more injuries than most other position groups. Dominant RB's that also stay healthy an entire season are becoming a rarity. The better odds favor a committee approach where your team doesn't rely on just one back. It just makes far more sense to me.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Next

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information