Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The writing is on the wall for Chris Carson

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Carson is the type of RB Pete covets. He runs hard and delivers blows to the D punishing them when they tackle him. He'd rather deliver a blow and hit the defensive player than step out of bounds. Naturally this style leads to injury.

Carson has been a hugely successful 7th round pick for the team and fits the physical play mentality Pete would prefer. The team is much better on O when he plays and can be counted upon.

The team has trained Carson to not drop the ball which was an issue to start with and that caused him to be benched early for short periods. He energizes the OLine and the O when he runs hard and is good at conveying short yardage situations. I think Aros has got it dead right above here and the team will of course try to keep Carson, but his injury history certainly reduces his market value and he has performed well enough to be paid well but perhaps not as much as he thinks he should.

So far little I've seen from Penny indicates he could be the lead back and he's had injury issues completely inconsistent from his college history. The others except Hyde are just guys and none but Scarborough hold much interest to me. Scarborough could, if he can return, be a punisher. He was running hard against AZ and certainly caused me to be disappointed when he got hurt.

Money will be the deciding issue for Carson next season as to whether he remains on the team.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:Carson is the type of RB Pete covets. He runs hard and delivers blows to the D punishing them when they tackle him. He'd rather deliver a blow and hit the defensive player than step out of bounds. Naturally this style leads to injury.

Carson has been a hugely successful 7th round pick for the team and fits the physical play mentality Pete would prefer. The team is much better on O when he plays and can be counted upon.

The team has trained Carson to not drop the ball which was an issue to start with and that caused him to be benched early for short periods. He energizes the OLine and the O when he runs hard and is good at conveying short yardage situations. I think Aros has got it dead right above here and the team will of course try to keep Carson, but his injury history certainly reduces his market value and he has performed well enough to be paid well but perhaps not as much as he thinks he should.

So far little I've seen from Penny indicates he could be the lead back and he's had injury issues completely inconsistent from his college history. The others except Hyde are just guys and none but Scarborough hold much interest to me. Scarborough could, if he can return, be a punisher. He was running hard against AZ and certainly caused me to be disappointed when he got hurt.

Money will be the deciding issue for Carson next season as to whether he remains on the team.

Good post, but I'd add in that money + "length of term" will be the deciding factors, and this is what makes it a little more complicated to get him signed.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Bottom line....I believe that it all depends on what his agent says that another team is offering to pay him. I think that Chris wants to stay in Seattle. How close can John Schneider come to matching those offers?
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Somehow I just really expect Carson will be a Seahawk for a couple more years. He is a better fit and more valued here than anywhere else. I expect a 2-year deal, or maybe longer, with 2 years of guaranteed.

The guys in the league who are *better* than Carson? Fairly short list. Dalvin Cook. Derrick Henry. Chubb of the Browns. Maybe a handful of others. Those guys are only "better" because they are more of a threat to break long runs. Carson is every bit as likely to get the tough yards, and the 5 and 12 yard runs, but somehow rarely hits the 40-yard to-the-house runs.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I agree, Carson is very much underrated by many here. He is solidly a top ten RB and knocking hard on being a top five. If he wasn’t somewhat injury prone or playing up here in So. Alaska he’d be very much in the top 5 conversation.

He fits the team’s style well and deserves a second contract. The term of the deal will by need have to reflect that while he is young his body has considerable mileage on it. This player is another solid JS draft pick for those who are haters.

Running back is a very fungible position and should have different contractual rules as they tend to have a much shorter shelf life than other positions. That said there’s are a few around who have had very long and distinguished careers, I just don’t know about Carson being able to continue that way given his tough running style.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:I agree, Carson is very much underrated by many here. He is solidly a top ten RB and knocking hard on being a top five. If he wasn’t somewhat injury prone or playing up here in So. Alaska he’d be very much in the top 5 conversation.

He fits the team’s style well and deserves a second contract. The term of the deal will by need have to reflect that while he is young his body has considerable mileage on it. This player is another solid JS draft pick for those who are haters.

Running back is a very fungible position and should have different contractual rules as they tend to have a much shorter shelf life than other positions. That said there’s are a few around who have had very long and distinguished careers, I just don’t know about Carson being able to continue that way given his tough running style.

Carson was a Pete Pick, he had went to see him play, he was in a pass oriented offense and was injured his Junior year, he was a runner that shied away from contact also.

Pete talked to him and told him he needed to get a tougher mentality and he could be a NFL player. He did and that's why we picked him up, he was on nobodies radar.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Thanks Chris!

He certainly toughened up.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Petey will always have a stable of RBs, he is a run first old skool kind of guy. There are, what, 5 running backs on the squad right now? To some extent they are interchangeable/expendable given the circumstances of the particular game.

Tho, we have a pretty good passing game this year.

Carson will continue on as long as he can produce more than be a burden on the team. At least as far as the $$ goes. And if you think Carson is looking at termination, just think back to CJ Prosise.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie

• Prosise played 25 games over 4 years with the Hawks. Less than 1 in 3 if you count playoffs.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie

• chris98251 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:I agree, Carson is very much underrated by many here. He is solidly a top ten RB and knocking hard on being a top five. If he wasn’t somewhat injury prone or playing up here in So. Alaska he’d be very much in the top 5 conversation.

Carson was a Pete Pick, he had went to see him play, he was in a pass oriented offense and was injured his Junior year, he was a runner that shied away from contact also.

Pete talked to him and told him he needed to get a tougher mentality and he could be a NFL player. He did and that's why we picked him up, he was on nobodies radar.

Can he go back to shying away from contact some again to stay healthy? Or at least pick his battles a little wiser?
    PNW
    NET Starter

• I love the guy and what he offers. Hard runner and I think the injury thing is over stated. How much of that is really on him more than just being a couple bad breaks? I'd bet he goes some time without getting hurt again, per the law of averages. The only thing I worry about is paying a rb big bucks. It doesn't have a good history of working out, see the jets and cowboys as recent examples. Also we just can't afford to. The price will have to be right, for both parties, for him to stay
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information