The writing is on the wall for Chris Carson

TypeSly

Reaction score
And probably Carlos Hyde too, for next season. John Schneider is always thinking ahead, and his plan for the running game looks pretty clear going forward. He's loaded up on young, promising RB's and giving them all touches and game experience this season. This (to me) clearly shows that they don't plan on signing CC for the big bucks he wants after ths season.

Him and Pete also like to feature players (that they plan to trade) and then get RW to talk them up on national television to up their value before they pull the trigger. After this last game with a run-heavy scheme, I'm suspecting that they just did that with Carlos Hyde as well. They've done that with quite a few players in the past (Fant, Vannett, Clowney etc.)

Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

Genka

Reaction score
I really like Carson. He’s always banged up but I really hope we can find a way to keep him. Penny is talented and has the speed but I wouldn’t be comfortable yet having him at RB1 with the Miami guys backing him. We see this season , things get kinda scary on the goal line. Carson would’ve been money on 4th and inches also

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m not completely disagreeing with you on Carson but I think your assessment of the RB room might be a bit off. With Carson out injured like he has been, I think this actually increases his chances of resigning. There are a lot of RBs going into this off-season that are free agents. Because of the glut of RBs on the market, the inevitable decrease in salary cap and his persistent injury history, he won’t be able to get what he wants $ wise in a contract with another team. I think once he tests FA and doesn’t get what he and his agent thinks he’s worth, he might be resigned on a one year prove it type deal.

As far as the other RBs on the roster, Hyde was signed as insurance behind Carson and because Penny would miss significant time this season. Travis Homer was drafted the year before for depth. DeeJay Dallas was drafted this year for the same thing. In season this year there has been an obvious need for healthy bodies with the top 3 guys being out at the same time. This the signings of Collins and Scarborough. The end of last year showed what a need RB depth was and continues to be.

Now if Penny comes back in the next game and completely lights it up the latter part of the season, then they might not even look to resign Carson no matter what. The last 6 games are extremely important for Carson in his impending free agency and whether or not the Seahawks will want to resign him.

One could argue that signing Hyde was not only to cover for Penny missing substantial games in 2020 but also for the eventual loss of Carson in FA. I believe Hyde was signed for 2 years but I could be wrong.

To summarize, Carson’s future with the team is 50/50 at best. If he comes back strong, plays like we know he can, and helps significantly in helping the team to a deep playoff run then he most likely will be resigned. In the OP, there was mention of trading Hyde. This years trade deadline has passed unless you were talking about an offseason trade. If it’s offseason, I don’t see that happening because of the amount of FA RBs available. Plus you can get fairly serviceable backs in the draft.

Also with the limited number of draft picks I don’t see them using one on a running back. Of course we can almost be assured that Schneider will come out of the draft with more picks than he started with.

907Hawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":2ctd7sjs said:
And probably Carlos Hyde too, for next season. John Schneider is always thinking ahead, and his plan for the running game looks pretty clear going forward. He's loaded up on young, promising RB's and giving them all touches and game experience this season. This (to me) clearly shows that they don't plan on signing CC for the big bucks he wants after ths season.

Him and Pete also like to feature players (that they plan to trade) and then get RW to talk them up on national television to up their value before they pull the trigger. After this last game with a run-heavy scheme, I'm suspecting that they just did that with Carlos Hyde as well. They've done that with quite a few players in the past (Fant, Vannett, Clowney etc.)

Based on this, I'm thinking that Penny will be our feature back, with a plethora of young, inexpensive backs to back him up. For what it's worth, I don't mind this plan at all.

How did we possible feature Fant and Clowney who both left as a free agents, as for the rest of your post, sure.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
If he comes back and stays healthy, I think he stays a Seahawk.

He's earned it with his play, and there's no reason to expect a drop off in production for the remainder and next season.

The eye test shows Carson is heads above the other contenders that you mentioned.

I would say steep drop-off after Carson.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
I think everyone loves Carson, including his teammates. If he was healthy this season, I think we'd be 9-1 at this point easily, but because he's often out of the line-up, our running game is always in limbo. Noticing how loaded up we are with RB's, and how many of them are carrying the load for periods at a time, it certainly seems like job auditions to me. With CC slated to make big bucks after this season, I just don't see JS and Pete ready to gamble and potentially handcuffing themselves, with a long term contract.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
907Hawk":1rk6lji1 said:
TypeSly":1rk6lji1 said:

How did we possible feature Fant and Clowney who both left as a free agents, as for the rest of your post, sure.

I remember someone in the media mentioning that Seattle always features the players that they feature players that they don't plan to hang onto on nationally televised games, and those were the names that came into mind. Oops :oops:

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Palmegranite":34eewqyy said:
If he comes back and stays healthy, I think he stays a Seahawk.

He's earned it with his play, and there's no reason to expect a drop off in production for the remainder and next season.

The eye test shows Carson is heads above the other contenders that you mentioned.

I would say steep drop-off after Carson.

Yeah, but it's all about paying the big bucks on a gamble that he will stay healthy. It's also hard to explain how loaded up we are at the RB position, and how many of them are getting game action all of a sudden.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":dqfg2mft said:
I’m not completely disagreeing with you on Carson but I think your assessment of the RB room might be a bit off. With Carson out injured like he has been, I think this actually increases his chances of resigning. There are a lot of RBs going into this off-season that are free agents. Because of the glut of RBs on the market, the inevitable decrease in salary cap and his persistent injury history, he won’t be able to get what he wants $ wise in a contract with another team. I think once he tests FA and doesn’t get what he and his agent thinks he’s worth, he might be resigned on a one year prove it type deal.

As far as the other RBs on the roster, Hyde was signed as insurance behind Carson and because Penny would miss significant time this season. Travis Homer was drafted the year before for depth. DeeJay Dallas was drafted this year for the same thing. In season this year there has been an obvious need for healthy bodies with the top 3 guys being out at the same time. This the signings of Collins and Scarborough. The end of last year showed what a need RB depth was and continues to be.

Now if Penny comes back in the next game and completely lights it up the latter part of the season, then they might not even look to resign Carson no matter what. The last 6 games are extremely important for Carson in his impending free agency and whether or not the Seahawks will want to resign him.

One could argue that signing Hyde was not only to cover for Penny missing substantial games in 2020 but also for the eventual loss of Carson in FA. I believe Hyde was signed for 2 years but I could be wrong.

To summarize, Carson’s future with the team is 50/50 at best. If he comes back strong, plays like we know he can, and helps significantly in helping the team to a deep playoff run then he most likely will be resigned. In the OP, there was mention of trading Hyde. This years trade deadline has passed unless you were talking about an offseason trade. If it’s offseason, I don’t see that happening because of the amount of FA RBs available. Plus you can get fairly serviceable backs in the draft.

Also with the limited number of draft picks I don’t see them using one on a running back. Of course we can almost be assured that Schneider will come out of the draft with more picks than he started with.

Carson knowing his own injury history, there's no way he's signing for one, or even two years. I'd be all-in for signing him up to big bucks on a short term contract, but I doubt he's going for that. And yes I'm aware that the trade-deadline has passed, so this is my guess in what's coming after this season is over.

On a side note, I hope that CC doesn't carry a huge load when he comes back, because we need him healthy for the playoffs. So if he doesn't, it's hard to test his durability for the rest of this season. Either way, it's already an injury-filled season for him, in that sense.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd give Carson like $13million over two years. If he wants more, sorry, he's great but just hurt too damn often.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is a player, he is productive, and above else he brings a mentality that few other backs less Hyde right now has.

Plug and play doesn't work in this offense, you have to have the right demeanor also which Carson has, Penny looked to finally be getting it and then boom he was out, time will tell if he comes back with a chip on his shoulder or not.

On a side note Collins, Hyde, and Bo have a mentality that works and the body type to do it over a season as well, they are not on a Carson level however in my mind, half a step back.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Penny had yet to play this year and he’s coming off an ACL tear. He is only currently signed through 2021.

Hyde is a free agent after this season.

The only other players in the active roster are Dallas and Homer.

Collins and Bo are not on the active roster.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Basis4day":3a4g5q8s said:
Penny had yet to play this year and he’s coming off an ACL tear. He is only currently signed through 2021.

Hyde is a free agent after this season.

The only other players in the active roster are Dallas and Homer.

Collins and Bo are not on the active roster.

The active roster situation is just for the time being. Just curous, (a) do you think the Seahawks will re-sign him long term? (b) Do you think they should?

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think his injury history will bring his price down enough to re-sign him to something reasonable.

Nunya

Reaction score
So you create speculation out of thin air (i.e. talking up players on the trade block)....and based on THAT speculation, you conclude that Carson will not be re-signed???

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Nunya":1uyelesk said:
So you create speculation out of thin air (i.e. talking up players on the trade block)....and based on THAT speculation, you conclude that Carson will not be re-signed???

Yup, I think I made it pretty clear that this is my speculation. Seeing that we're stacked up on RB's all of a sudden, and the unusual rotation that they've been used in the last few weeks.

As for talking up the players, I may have used the wrong examples, but they do seem to have a history of doing that. I never realized that until I saw that one segment where someone was talking about it. That was just a sidenote on my opinion that they might be letting Hyde go as well. But I definitely think they're either letting Carson go, or being prepared to let him go after this season. His position might have weakened a little, since he got hurt again... but I remember hearing him say (before the season started) that he wanted to get paid, what he felt like he deserved, and that was top-5 RB money. He also said his goal was to play all 16 games, plus playoffs too.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Basis4day":pl8dnkfb said:
I think his injury history will bring his price down enough to re-sign him to something reasonable.

I would love for that to be the case, but I don't see it happening only because I don't think that the money as much of the issue, as is the length of term. I think (as most players would) that he wants security, especially at such a volatile position. Personally, I don't think JS and PC, are ready to sign him long term at his demands, and I doubt that he'll go for a one year deal. I think more than likely, he tests out the market to see if any team will.

misfit

Reaction score
xray":3d4ybcxi said:
he's earned it
what hes earned is a below market contract cuz hes never gonna give you a full season

anything close to 10 mill per year would be a tragic mistake