Iupati's successor?

toffee

Reaction score
Iupati has an excellent NFL career, he is also not getting any younger. Do we have an adequate successor in place?

Here is what's on PFF:

Iupati: 78.6
Jamarco: 52.4
Simmons: 49.8

Seems like a big step down from Mike, although eyeball wise, the two young dudes didn't seem as bad as what PFF's ranking.

Meantime we are quite set with Lewis (PFF 76.4) as LG.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
toffee":14c3qaf3 said:
Iupati has an excellent NFL career, he is also not getting any younger. Do we have an adequate successor in place?

Here is what's on PFF:

Iupati: 78.6
Jamarco: 52.4
Simmons: 49.8

Seems like a big step down from Mike, although eyeball wise, the two young dudes didn't seem as bad as what PFF's ranking.

Meantime we are quite set with Lewis (PFF 76.4) as LG.

I would look to Free Agency for that. I wouldn't dumpster dive or look for a bargain, which is classic Carroll. If the lists I'm looking at are up to date, I think a great pick up would be Joe Thuney (73 PFF) or Brandon Scherff (82.9 PFF) and just two players are good at their jobs in general, however they'll demand higher salaries, but you'd be getting solid talents and really solidify the line for #3.

Cheaper, intermediate FA coming to market would be Carolina's John Miller (62 PFF) and the Ram's Austin Blythe (69.9 PFF).

Of course developing talents is never a bad idea, however my problem with someone like Jamarco is I think the kid has found himself on the injury list more times than he's stepped foot on the field.

As a side, NE's Jermaine Eluemunor is listed as a FA with a whopping PFF score of 81.5, but he's listed as a tackle not a guard.

themunn

Reaction score
I think the hope was that Phil Haynes would fill that spot?

Small sample size but he graded in at 67.1 (76.8 pass blocking 60.0 run blocking) against the Packers in his one and only start - a divisional playoff game on the road at Lambeau.

He was finally activated last week ahead of the Cardinals game having been on IR all season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jermaine Eluemunor? It's easier to convert a T to G than a G to T?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
toffee":2mdu4o70 said:
Jermaine Eluemunor? It's easier to convert a T to G than a G to T?

I think that's correct. Being a T is a lot harder than G.

sutz

Reaction score
I thought Jamarco was pretty good at guard, but struggled at tackle. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":3k2zupb6 said:
I thought Jamarco was pretty good at guard, but struggled at tackle. :229031_shrug:

That's what I thought too, but PFF ranked him in the 50s, basically suck.

AgentDib

Reaction score
IMO it's too early to talk about successors in November. There's only the plan for the remainder of the season, which appears to be that our running game takes a hit if Iupati goes out but we can still throw the ball. The backups can pass protect about as well as Iupati, but are below average run blockers whereas Iupati is outstanding in the running game.

Next off-season they'll have a bunch of information about how this season ended. Iupati played in 16 games last year and there are plenty of 34+ year old guards in the NFL. I don't think they are going to want to wade into FA market for a top guard and pay the exorbitant prices and will likely have competition between a cheaper veteran (Iupati or another UFA), a run blocking guard they take in the draft, and then the youth they already have (simmons, haynes, jones).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's too early. There are a couple in house options. But honestly, it's a position pretty readily filled in the draft.

Seattle won't have the cap space to spend 5M on a replacement OG. So it'll have to be on the extremely cheap. Consider there are 19 players they will have to sign to fill their 53 for next year. With considerably less than 18M in cap space to do it. The current cap for 2019 is at 19.2M, but expected cap (actual minus draft pick salaries and reserve for IR for the year), is probably closer to 12M.

So that's 12M split 19 different ways. Until we start talking cuts. Of which there are very few candidates that I've touched on elsewhere. Players that are going to hurt to let go (Wagner, Lockett, Brown, Adams or Dunlap).

Reality is, we're going to be dumpster diving for almost half our roster next season. With 3 draft picks (Zero comp picks and no first rounder), we're not getting help there either. It'll be vet minimums for a LOT of roster spots. Fortunately, there should be some better quality vet minimum players with the way this market is going to shape up.

We are currently not going to be able to reap benefit of what is going to be a once in maybe our lifetimes depressed market. Realistically, there are about 10 teams that are going to get a mint of one year rentals of superstars at 4-5M contracts apiece. And then clean up on the comp pick reimbursement in 2022. The market will be glutted with cap casualties.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Like OP said, the eye test does not seem to indicate the young guys are that bad. And vice versa that Iupati is that good (though, I guess I haven't paid much attention to him, maybe he's having a bit of a resurgence).

To me, one of the best compliments you can get on the O line is that no one notices you. And that's how I feel about these guys, which is what you want.

Before reading those PFF scores I would have guessed it's Simmons, Iupati, then Jones. Jones is a bit lighter and sometimes gets pushed back. Simmons though I thought would be much higher, he's done well against some elite competition in the past.

That said, due to health, none of those guys are the long term answer at guard. A rotation of the 3 ain't bad though!