Schottenheimer

LTH

Reaction score
I don't think Schotty is getting enough credit ... I think He is a great OC... I think some of his play calling is just very creative and we can't see him in the box but I just know there are times he just giggles a bit after roasting the other team... also his relationship with Russ seems to be really productive in the way he has things set up..

Thoughts?

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell taught Russ a lot about being a NFL QB, Schotty has built on that allowing him to grow and become a game day thinker and not just a game manager.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":2hc74xw6 said:
Bevell taught Russ a lot about being a NFL QB, Schotty has built on that allowing him to grow and become a game day thinker and not just a game manager.

Agreed ... Russ checked out of some plays for big running gains against the Cards...

Ive been impressed with Schotty's creativity enabling some of the match ups he has been able to take advantage of..

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He def. has made some solid adjustments in game. I've said to whoever is watching the game with me many times how I'm digging the play calling. It's not always gonna be top notch, that's not how football works.
But overall, he's been pretty solid. Often my wife will say "finally, something DIFFERENT" which is pretty accurate.
I think they have a good thing going, just my opinion. And letting Russ change the plays from time to time is huge. There was some really nice changes by Russ at the line in the Zona win. Shoot, that 3rd down draw was a HUGE play in that game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Schottenheimer has done a nice job here.

I would have liked to see a little more creativity last season after we lost all of the TEs and RBs. It's not surprising that we struggled, and you can look at how much Shananan's offense struggles in SF without Kittle if you want to feel better about it. But I felt that we still tried all of the same stuff we were doing earlier, only with much worse personnel. At some point you need to stop and completely rethink the approach when you just don't have an NFL caliber player for the role you were counting on.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
He's better than bevel, which isn't really a high bar to clear. I wish he had more short pass option plays in the playbook (or if they are there, then they would be part of the game plan) when facing defenses using 2-deep safeties and/or having defenders like Aaron Donald. I wish he could make immediate in-game adjustments when, seeing the 2-deep safety D when that D is also like 4th ranked against the run and we only have backup RBs, he had only game-planned runs and bombs. At least his long pass play designs don't have 3 deep receivers converging on one spot where they are all easily covered by 2 DBs (unlike bevel's play designs).

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3bojkhqi said:
He's better than bevel, which isn't really a high bar to clear. I wish he had more short pass option plays in the playbook (or if they are there, then they would be part of the game plan) when facing defenses using 2-deep safeties and/or having defenders like Aaron Donald. I wish he could make immediate in-game adjustments when, seeing the 2-deep safety D when that D is also like 4th ranked against the run and we only have backup RBs, he had only game-planned runs and bombs. At least his long pass play designs don't have 3 deep receivers converging on one spot where they are all easily covered by 2 DBs (unlike bevel's play designs).

Amen on the short passing game. I'd love to see some more WR screens and whatever those short toss passes are to DK. He needs more touches and opportunities to run over people.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
SoulfishHawk":350oc1fq said:
He def. has made some solid adjustments in game. I've said to whoever is watching the game with me many times how I'm digging the play calling. It's not always gonna be top notch, that's not how football works.
But overall, he's been pretty solid. Often my wife will say "finally, something DIFFERENT" which is pretty accurate.
I think they have a good thing going, just my opinion. And letting Russ change the plays from time to time is huge. There was some really nice changes by Russ at the line in the Zona win. Shoot, that 3rd down draw was a HUGE play in that game.

You're the drummer for a Funk band, correct? After this virus is ghost, make sure you make a thread announcing your band's first local gig post covid. Or PM me. I want to get to know and support some of the cooler posters on this site and your vibe is always great.

Anyhow, back on topic. Schotty has been very good. He's doing very well with utilizing his armory effectively, as is reflected in our offensive numbers/stats.

BUT,

If he burned the pages of the playbook that has the busted bubble screen I wouldn't be upset. Not at all.

Smellyman

Reaction score
meh. I think he gets too much credit.

He has a QB in his absolute skills and mind prime and RW has to carry Schotty so much. He could make things so much easier for Russ but doesn't or can't.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
LTH":22072dyi said:
I don't think Schotty is getting enough credit ... I think He is a great OC... I think some of his play calling is just very creative and we can't see him in the box but I just know there are times he just giggles a bit after roasting the other team... also his relationship with Russ seems to be really productive in the way he has things set up..

Thoughts?

LTH

In the spirit of these forums - my thoughts are what are you basing this off of ?

Stats of different types of plays? Stats of good calls against various defensive schemes?

I think a lot of us were clamoring for a return to sanity which we got last game, but the games before it didn't *feel* all that creative. Are you just talking about the last game? The year? Multiple years?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Schottenheimer is a rank and file guy. He does what Carroll tells him to, and is likely very constrained in what he can't and cannot do. Within those constraints he has done a good job, i'm curious to see what he could do if he had more autonomy. He's shown some really nice creativity at times when injuries have mandated them.

olyfan63

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":7ertzap8 said:
GeekHawk":7ertzap8 said:

Amen on the short passing game. I'd love to see some more WR screens and whatever those short toss passes are to DK. He needs more touches and opportunities to run over people.

General agreement. It seems like Schotty and Russell took 3 weeks to adjust to the blitzing schemes that the Cards unleashed on us in the first game we lost in OT. Then Buffalo did similar to us, as did the Rams. We finally started beating those blitzes vs the Cards in the 2nd game, with shorter routes, TE use, and RB and WR screens, plus a better run game. Other times, Schotty and Russell seem to adjust fairly quickly in games. I know I'm overlooking the RB pass pro issue; maybe that was what really took 3 weeks, breaking in Dallas and being limited in our RB personnel and running threat part of our offense.

Overall, I agree, Schotty overall has upped Russell's game, made him a better QB. We have far fewer "Fire Schotty!" threads here than we had for his predecessor. And I've never heard him throw a player under the bus like his disgraced predecessor did to Ricardo Lockette. So yeah, Schotty's a keeper. For at least another week, anyway.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":3nxj8vyd said:
LTH":3nxj8vyd said:

Thoughts?

LTH

In the spirit of these forums - my thoughts are what are you basing this off of ?

Stats of different types of plays? Stats of good calls against various defensive schemes?

I think a lot of us were clamoring for a return to sanity which we got last game, but the games before it didn't *feel* all that creative. Are you just talking about the last game? The year? Multiple years?

I don't keep track of all the plays... Im NOT a stat guy I just notice in the games that Schotty seems to get good matchups... one of the ones I noticed (against the cards I think) that Russ missed was with Dissly. he was wide open on the right side Russ threw in threw the ball end zone I think to Metcalf in complete but it was just a great play call that should have been a TD by Dissley if russ would have seen him... So to answer your question( I think he has had some stinkers as well) pretty much for the year he has adjusted well and done a good job of mixing his plays and working matchups to the Hawks favor IMO

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":2f0ykn7x said:
LTH":2f0ykn7x said:

Thoughts?

LTH

I think you'll find that most fanbases want to fire their offensive coordinator at any given time. The fact that Schottenheimer has presided over a drastic change in philosophy and implemented it with great success... it's a rare feat in the league, one that deserves commendation and praise. Coaches that even come close to maximizing the potential of their unit on a consistent basis are far and few between, and Schottenheimer is a diamond in that regard.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":sgzxhxys said:
BandWagon11Hawk":sgzxhxys said:
LTH":sgzxhxys said:

Thoughts?

LTH

I think you'll find that most fanbases want to fire their offensive coordinator at any given time. The fact that Schottenheimer has presided over a drastic change in philosophy and implemented it with great success... it's a rare feat in the league, one that deserves commendation and praise. Coaches that even come close to maximizing the potential of their unit on a consistent basis are far and few between, and Schottenheimer is a diamond in that regard.

Just never ask him to be a Head Coach. :)