Seahawks D, what happens next?

LTH

Reaction score
Some have said The Hawks have the worst D in NFL history... Some say Carroll and Norton need to be fired because of the D performance in the first three quarters of the season...

I think we have witnessed a great coaching performance...from what I can see the Hawks Have made adjustments both personal and scheme to work on solving the issues at hand...

How many times does a team go through a game without their two starting corners against one of the best teams in the NFL and come out with a win because of good D play? Where do you attribute that success?

They coached up those corners and worked through the injuries...brought in new players where they lacked... isn't that what they are supposed to do? The fact that they lost a couple of games to good football teams while they were working things out is not relevant ..

I think the problem is more with the fans not giving the team an opportunity to adjust and work things out...it doesn't happen overnight and they still are not done...

There are no easy games in the NFL.... Any team can beat any team on any given day so don't be surprised if there's more to be worked out by the D ...

The biggest thing for the Hawks is for them to keep improving consistently so that when the play offs come they are playing their best football. The Hawks biggest opponent are themselves... they need to play to their own expectations to their own potential...

What the stats say at the end of the year is irrelevant! What's important is how this team is gelling going into the playoffs... that's all that matters, what happened during the season is doesn't really matter...it's what's happening NOW...

So potentially at the end of the season the Hawks could have the worst statistical D in the NFL by the time the playoffs come but... If the D comes together and they gel over the remaining games, they very well could have one of the best D's in the NFL with the worst stats... that's kind of how it works or at least the way I see it coming together...

LTH

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
With as much negativity around here I do appreciate your optimism but even saying we could be the best defense by the playoffs is delusional. They just need to be somewhere around average & I'd be happy after what we've witnessed so far.

Also praising the coaching & their adjustments as a "great performance" after 1 game, 1 & a half if you really want to get technical, is foolhardy. They had their best performance of the season against SF, to that point anyway, & they followed it with one of the absolute worst defensive performances I've ever seen against Buffalo & weren't any better in the 1st half against the Rams so I won't be raising them to demigod status quite yet.

xray

Reaction score
Having a good defensive performance every once in awhile is nice but not inspiring . Stringing several good defensive games together would have to happen . The Hawks need a balanced team going into post season or it will be very difficult to advance .

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
While there are no easy games in the NFL, there's no reason for the D not to look much better over the next 4 games. As i have stated, the Eagles game scares me but that could be reputation as I still fear those guys on O putting it together for 1 game and finding their form from 2-3 yrs ago.

themunn

Reaction score
My bold prediction for what happens next - the Seahawks D SHUTS OUT the Eagles offense on MNF - the Monday Night Massacre returns.

Bobby Wagner scores a TD and punches the goalpost as an homage to both his defensive coordinator, and former assistant LBer coach who did the very same 15 years ago.

Yes it's a very specific set of circumstances, that's why the prediction is BOLD

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH - After my thread about more camaraderie and brotherly love, I'm not going to start bashing, but some of what Hockey Guy is saying makes a lot of sense. You do need to get a grip of yourself once in a while, because there is a fine line between optimism and fool-hardiness. How about we just take it one game at a time, before we get ahead of ourselves?

Taking a look at defences like the LA Rams, Tampa's, or Miami's etc... you don't just go from being the worst, to over-jumping defences like that over a couple of weeks, because our fanbase is giddy from a few positive signs.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Our defence is in the state of trying to get back on track, after basically being off the rails since the season began. There's steps to this process, so saying that it will be the best in the NFL, come playoff time, is totally getting ahead of ourselves (after one good performance right after two awful performances that preceed that). We also can't ignore all the games that preceeded the SF game, either.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":10odbnjo said:
With as much negativity around here I do appreciate your optimism but even saying we could be the best defense by the playoffs is delusional. They just need to be somewhere around average & I'd be happy after what we've witnessed so far.

Also praising the coaching & their adjustments as a "great performance" after 1 game, 1 & a half if you really want to get technical, is foolhardy. They had their best performance of the season against SF, to that point anyway, & they followed it with one of the absolute worst defensive performances I've ever seen against Buffalo & weren't any better in the 1st half against the Rams so I won't be raising them to demigod status quite yet.

I can see how you would think it was delusional...I guess it just depends on how you look at it and what you think the problem is with the D.

I think the Hawks are running a complicated D scheme... I think they have the talent to be much better than they are right now and they have been hampered with injury to key players. They are just now getting healthy and they still have a ways to go... It takes time to learn to play together in these complicated schemes... It takes time for even pro bowl players to learn to play together... It takes time to coach up the young guys... it takes time to make everything fit and gel...

Now with that being said, it looks delusional if you believe the Hawks are lacking talent and have a poor coaching staff

I think MY POINT in the post is, that like I've said so many times, this team goes through a progression of getting itself right... this year it's taking more time. You can't look at the stats for the season and make a determination for how good this D is... it would be misleading... this D could potentially go into the Playoffs playing better or as good as any other D with the worst stats in the league... Notice I said potentially...

I think this D is way better than the stats show..I've said it time and time again that this D needs to get healthy and they need continuity with the same players... when that happens the D will turn and I think we have seen that the D is turning. why is that blind optimism?

It's not blind optimism to see that this D has not played it's best football yet... it's not blind optimism to realize that this team should not be judged by how they played in the first part of the season...If they stay healthy and gel there is no reason why this D can not be potentially one of the best D's in the league by the time the playoffs arrive...

Will it happen? We will see and it won't be boring LOL

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TypeSly":2w9y28wx said:
Our defence is in the state of trying to get back on track, after basically being off the rails since the season began. There's steps to this process, so saying that it will be the best in the NFL, come playoff time, is totally getting ahead of ourselves (after one good performance right after two awful performances that preceed that). We also can't ignore all the games that preceded the SF game, either.

My point was that you can't look at the stats for the season and judge how good this D is..things are vastly different in the last part of the season than they were in the first part of the season...

I totally realize that there are steps to this process...all I said if you read my post was that POTENTIALLY this D could be one of the best in the league with the worst stats in the league by the time the playoffs come due to the fact they are getting healthier and gaining continuity...

How many pro bowl players are on this D 5-6? the talent is there its just a matter of getting these guys to play together and staying healthy...

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think every bit of criticism the unit received as a whole is valid. They were not communicating, blundering every coverage, and seemed to not know the basics of their personal responsibilities in pretty much every look the defense employs.

This, for the most part, has been miraculously reversed, and they're playing tight, smart, instinctual football. As long as that continues and even improves as the course of the season goes on, there is no worry about the defense.

They are NOT the worst defense ever. Certainly not even close to the least talented. They certainly were playing like it, though, and I'm glad they've mostly fixed the absolutely egregious errors they were committing. Something was broken, and they fixed it together.

chris98251

Reaction score
The whole thought of a complicated system is not true, they have a basic system, they have responsibilities in that for gap control. The discipline and Communication is where the problem is.

Our defense gets into trouble trying to do more then what they are assigned to do, things like trying to help and compensate opens their gaps, a good OC see's that and gives a look where a player will leave his gap and goes to that spot.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":2wbsrury said:
The whole thought of a complicated system is not true, they have a basic system, they have responsibilities in that for gap control. The discipline and Communication is where the problem is.

Our defense gets into trouble trying to do more than what they are assigned to do, things like trying to help and compensate opens their gaps, a good OC see's that and gives a look where a player will leave his gap and goes to that spot.

I think where it gets complicated is when they try to disguise looks,coverages and blitz packages vs secondary coverage stuff like that Its complicated to me anyways LOL..... but your right about the discipline and communication for sure...

LTH

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH":2lbcpr4o said:
TypeSly":2lbcpr4o said:
Our defence is in the state of trying to get back on track, after basically being off the rails since the season began. There's steps to this process, so saying that it will be the best in the NFL, come playoff time, is totally getting ahead of ourselves (after one good performance right after two awful performances that preceed that). We also can't ignore all the games that preceded the SF game, either.

My point was that you can't look at the stats for the season and judge how good this D is..things are vastly different in the last part of the season than they were in the first part of the season...

I totally realize that there are steps to this process...all I said if you read my post was that POTENTIALLY this D could be one of the best in the league with the worst stats in the league by the time the playoffs come due to the fact they are getting healthier and gaining continuity...

How many pro bowl players are on this D 5-6? the talent is there its just a matter of getting these guys to play together and staying healthy...

LTH

We can't just judge our defence by it's "potential" and we can't just ignore what it has done in the past, either. When the D was at it's healthiest, was when the streak of "worst in history" started. We've only had two decent defensive performances (out of 10 games), and both were when we weren't at full strength. We all thought and hoped that he D had turned the corner after the SF game, but the next two games, it was even worse than the games that preceeded it. Now, after the second decent defensive showing, we're all hoping that this is a trend again, because it IS hard to understand how we could have been this bad, with the personnel that we have, on paper.

Having said that, you don't think you might be getting ahead of yourself? We all feel like the D will come out of this at some point, because it's true... not only should this D not be even close to the worst in history, it should be pretty decent going by the personnel we have on paper. But to save yourself from looking silly, just consider all the steps that has to happen before we're even close to your proclamation of being "One of the best, if not the best defence, come playoff time". If that happens, we're laughing, and you're a genius! But realistically, if the Hawks D get's even close to the top half, or third of the NFL, we're already laughing.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TypeSly":5rotufls said:
LTH":5rotufls said:
TypeSly":5rotufls said:

LTH

We can't just judge our defence by it's "potential" and we can't just ignore what it has done in the past, either. When the D was at it's healthiest, was when the streak of "worst in history" started. We've only had two decent defensive performances (out of 10 games), and both were when we weren't at full strength. We all thought and hoped that he D had turned the corner after the SF game, but the next two games, it was even worse than the games that preceeded it. Now, after the second decent defensive showing, we're all hoping that this is a trend again, because it IS hard to understand how we could have been this bad, with the personnel that we have, on paper.

Having said that, you don't think you might be getting ahead of yourself? We all feel like the D will come out of this at some point, because it's true... not only should this D not be even close to the worst in history, it should be pretty decent going by the personnel we have on paper. But to save yourself from looking silly, just consider all the steps that has to happen before we're even close to your proclamation of being "One of the best, if not the best defence, come playoff time". If that happens, we're laughing, and you're a genius! But realistically, if the Hawks D get's even close to the top half, or third of the NFL, we're already laughing.

Why would I care if you think I look silly? I mean if I'm wrong i'm wrong....wouldn't be the first time won;t be the last... It's not like I really care what you think about me I just throw down the way I see it...trust me your not that important LMAO!!!!! :snack:

But really you didn't really read my post or your not understanding what I'm saying...cause your really missing my point...

but what's realistic? if you look at Pete Carroll is he realistic in the way he thinks? Not to some people... he has made a career out of making doubters look bad...

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TypeSly":1oq30jxo said:
LTH":1oq30jxo said:
TypeSly":1oq30jxo said:

LTH

So tell me why it is important that this D be judged on what it has done in the past... the coaches know what issues are on this D... it's not brain surgery to know what the issues are the biggest being injury and continuity... why does it matter that the D line wasn't getting to the QB the first part of the season when they are now? why does it matter that the D was giving up the most yards in the history of NFL when they are not now? So you can look back and say what? what matters is how the D is playing in the next several games we want to see consistent improvement and they need to stay healthy nothing else really matters.. Potentially this D can be as good as they want to be if they do what it takes to get them there... it's a game against themselves playing to their potential and their own expectations which doesn't have anything to do with their competition...

That's kinda deep you might want to ponder that a bit before you shoot off your next post LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol:

LTH

bmorepunk

Reaction score
LTH"they very well could have one of the best D's in the NFL with the worst stats... LTH[/quote said:
This defense has given up 25, 30, 31, 23, 26, 37, 27, 44, 23, and 21 points.

Their best game out of ten was that they *only* gave up 21 points. That's almost 29 PPG given up.

The Steelers are giving up a little over 17, the Rams a little over 18 and the Ravens, Dolphins, Colts, and Bears just under 20. That's six teams that have a ten game average better than the Seahawks' best game.

I don't think this defense is the worst in NFL history. The yards are atrocious and are not an indicator of a good defense, but they have been opportunistic on turnovers at times and managed to get stops a couple of times on the lat drives of games. On the other hand before those last drives they typically just let the offense do whatever they wanted to respond to a quick Seahawks score.

But the points? They're a dead giveaway of how badly this unit has played this year. If they can build on last week, things will be in much better shape. But they're not even close to playing like "one of the best D's in the NFL". They're about to play three of the worst offenses in the league, and it's hard to believe they'll hold any them under 20 points, much less 10.

I really hope we see a lot of improvement, but the first half of that 49ers game was already about as fool's gold as it gets.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
@bmorepunk

you said;

" They're about to play three of the worst offenses in the league, and it's hard to believe they'll hold any them under 20 points, much less 10."

Based off of their performance in the first part of the season. So like I said before, it really depends on what you think the problem is on D...I think the problem is injuries and lack of continuity ... If you think the problem is lack of talent and poor coaching than I can understand why you would be thinking what your thinking...

LTH

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH":2yqq266u said:
TypeSly":2yqq266u said:
LTH":2yqq266u said:
TypeSly":2yqq266u said:

LTH

So tell me why it is important that this D be judged on what it has done in the past... the coaches know what issues are on this D... it's not brain surgery to know what the issues are the biggest being injury and continuity... why does it matter that the D line wasn't getting to the QB the first part of the season when they are now? why does it matter that the D was giving up the most yards in the history of NFL when they are not now? So you can look back and say what? what matters is how the D is playing in the next several games we want to see consistent improvement and they need to stay healthy nothing else really matters.. Potentially this D can be as good as they want to be if they do what it takes to get them there... it's a game against themselves playing to their potential and their own expectations which doesn't have anything to do with their competition...

That's kinda deep you might want to ponder that a bit before you shoot off your next post LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol:

LTH

Allright, I guess only time will tell. We'll see if the Seahawks D are "one of the best in the league" come playoff time.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":19h606bm said:
With this offense they only have to be average yet reliable.

Your speaking of the offense that is coming off IR, correct. The run game is everything. More time offense is on the field the more the Defense gets to breath. I Love the way this part of season is working out.