Thanksgiving day memory - Seahawks at Dallas 1986

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxsco ... 1986112702

Anyone else remember this game? I have a good memory of this win. It was my first year of college and living in the dorm. I grew up in a very small down in Canada and when I grew up I had no access to US TV daily, so I never got to see NFL until late Nov each year when the Canadian networks would pick it up after CFL season ended. So despite being intrigued by the Seahawks I never got to see them actually play until that first playoff run in 1983 and I was hooked.
Finally moving to the "big city" gave me access to NFL as soon as the season started. It was great that year getting to see Hawk games early in the year and that Thanksgiving win in Dallas was a big one. Of course in the TV lounge there was a lot of Cowboy fans and there was me and the Cowboy haters cheering for Seattle. It was a good time :)

TreeRon

Reaction score
Yes, my wife, my kids and I were visiting my late father and stepmother that holiday. He was a Dallas fan and I a Seahawk's fan. We had a good time ribbing each other throughout the game.
I'd remember the game but forgot the year. Thanks for reminding me.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":a36myy2f said:
https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=1986112702

Anyone else remember this game? I have a good memory of this win. It was my first year of college and living in the dorm. I grew up in a very small down in Canada and when I grew up I had no access to US TV daily, so I never got to see NFL until late Nov each year when the Canadian networks would pick it up after CFL season ended. So despite being intrigued by the Seahawks I never got to see them actually play until that first playoff run in 1983 and I was hooked.
Finally moving to the "big city" gave me access to NFL as soon as the season started. It was great that year getting to see Hawk games early in the year and that Thanksgiving win in Dallas was a big one. Of course in the TV lounge there was a lot of Cowboy fans and there was me and the Cowboy haters cheering for Seattle. It was a good time :)

Wow, you must have lived in a really small town in, I assume, Saskatchewan although you Rider fans are everywhere.

I grew up in the same small town in Northern Alberta & we had cable with the 3 Seattle stations in about 1978 but for the first year everything was tape delayed for 1 week. :lol:

A group of friends used to get together on Sundays to watch the Seahawks & that first playoff year was magical. Almost everybody are still diehards & a few of us even make regular road trips to go see them play.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Good ol' 1986 and the memories... I must have been freshly out of diapers by then. The apple sauce was good! :mrgreen:

James in PA

Reaction score
That was the first season that I “really” started following the Hawks. I remember watching that game at my grandparents’ house. And being so happy! Great memories! Curt Warner > Herschel Walker!

As many of us old heads often say: there is no doubt in my mind that the 1986 Seahawks (10-6) would’ve won the Super Bowl had they made the tournament. There was no team in the NFL that was hotter at the end of that season. Damn!

Happy Thanksgiving! Go Hawks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evergreen

Reaction score
I believe our two backs, John Williams and Curt Warner out ran their two backs, Herchel Walker and someone else. Then we started on our 5 game winning streak to end the season as the hottest team. From 5-6 to 10-6. But alas no playoffs...

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes I vaguely remember too. I do remember us beating both Super Bowl teams that year. Giants 17-12 and we destroyed the Broncos the last game of the season. Agree they would have won it all if not for some bogus tiebreaker with the Chiefs costing a playoff spot.

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":4wjmtrok said:
HawkRiderFan":4wjmtrok said:
https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=1986112702

Wow, you must have lived in a really small town in, I assume, Saskatchewan although you Rider fans are everywhere.

I grew up in the same small town in Northern Alberta & we had cable with the 3 Seattle stations in about 1978 but for the first year everything was tape delayed for 1 week. :lol:

A group of friends used to get together on Sundays to watch the Seahawks & that first playoff year was magical. Almost everybody are still diehards & a few of us even make regular road trips to go see them play.

Ha ha, yeah it was a 200 person farming community 60 mile NW of Regina. Live in Calgary now (as many of us from the province do) We had CTV and CBC growing up. That was it. Also had I had the same cable as my friends in Regina I still wouldn't have seen much Seahawks football. They got their cable from Detroit and were cursed with a lot of Lions football.

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Ended that year blowing out the hated Broncos and Raiders. I agree that team was as good as any in the AFC at the end of the year. The 4 game losing streak in the middle of the year sunk them.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I moved from WA to CA in 1981 to work at the San Onofre nuclear plant, but returned home at least twice a year. I was home for that game, and that day my bro-in-law convinced me to go salmon fishing in a tiny boat in Puget Sound. It was stormy, and I learned later that the flags we saw meant "small craft warning" - we were out in like a 15' boat with a 5hp motor that would start when it felt like it. And a radio he borrowed from a friend to listen to the game. We were around the Narrows, in the full grip of the tide and the weather, when the engine died. The waves were crashing over the boat and drowned the radio so we couldn't listen to the rest of the game, then we started drifting towards the beach as Ron was frantically pulling the starter cord on the engine, and just as we were about to reach the point where the waves were breaking he got the engine to roar to life. Whew! I had already lost my father-in-law's pole over the side in 400' of water, so we made our way back to shore. When we approached the dock Ron's dog Budweiser (a black lab) decided he'd had quite enough of this shit and tried to jump on the dock. Except he just forced the boat backwards and ended up underwater, and he wasn't coming back up. He was down there for quite a long time, and I was just emptying my pockets to jump in after him when he finally surfaced. By now the boat had drifted way far away so Ron had to jump in and bring it back to the dock... We finally got out of there and stopped at a sports bar on the way back home to watch the end of the game.

So yes, I remember that game.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember I was on a road trip with my then girlfriend to see her family. I was somewhere in the midwest, thousands of miles from home in a strange person's living room. I sat there watching that game as a 16-year-old diehard just as pleased as I could be. I can't recall all the details but I do remember that us winning that game was a highlight of the trip for sure, especially since they were all Cowboys fans.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Yup, Curt Warner was amazing in that game. That was the season the Hawks were red hot at the end of the year at 10-6 but missed the playoffs on tie-breakers.