New Playoff Format

W

Welshers

What does everyone think, and what are the implications for the Seahawks this year? Obviously they added another wild card team and took away one of the byes. I'm firmly against it. I liked things the way they were and the opportunity for two byes. Obviously its just a money making thing for the league as is adding an extra game next year. It could really hurt us this year because we could easily end up with the second seed but miss a bye.

Also, I just don't think you need 7 teams per conference. 6 was a good number

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Welshers":giv2l9t2 said:
What does everyone think, and what are the implications for the Seahawks this year? Obviously they added another wild card team and took away one of the byes. I'm firmly against it. I liked things the way they were and the opportunity for two byes. Obviously its just a money making thing for the league as is adding an extra game next year. It could really hurt us this year because we could easily end up with the second seed but miss a bye.

Nothing to be thankful about at all?

Go Hawks

sutz

Reaction score
I'll agree that I'm not a big fan of the change. It's what we have to deal with, though. I guess it's better than an 18 game season. At least it's not as bad as NBA, where over half the league seems to make the playoffs.

:229031_shrug:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Welshers":7t2ua5ax said:

I don't like it for the reasons you stated above, plus the obvious factor of covid.

The scheduling is here: https://fbschedules.com/nfl-playoff-schedule/

Adding two more teams this year just tempts fate that much more. The league put everyone in intensive protocol and there was still an outbreak among the Ravens that derailed the T-giving game plus the first rescheduling. There will be no room for rescheduling during the WC weekend, and there is nothing in the CBA saying that the league or clubs can force players to live in a hotel bubble for weeks.

Everyone knows Covid can take 14 days to incubate, meaning players will be mingling together after having had Christmas gatherings that will eclipse Thanksgiving.

Expanding the playoffs was a stupid idea.

Northhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1hmscxae said:
I'll agree that I'm not a big fan of the change. It's what we have to deal with, though. I guess it's better than an 18 game season. At least it's not as bad as NBA, where over half the league seems to make the playoffs.

The NHL is the worst and an example of the problems with a bigger playoff pool. Teams have little incentive to go all out in the regular season. Instead they do enough to get into the playoffs then coast through the rest of their regular season schedule. We already see enough of that in December in the NFL.

PNW

Reaction score
Personally I hate it, there’s no way it’s safer to have more games. It’s just a money grab by the NFL imo.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This was a scheme pushed heavily by who else?
Jerry Jones for more profit and to get his crap
team into the playoffs.
I dislike change for reasons along the lines of
"everyone should get a trophy" No No No!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3levn1ex said:
This was a scheme pushed heavily by who else?
Jerry Jones for more profit and to get his crap
team into the playoffs.
I dislike change for reasons along the lines of
"everyone should get a trophy" No No No!
Yep.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

SantaClaraHawk":3dde4mzk said:
Welshers":3dde4mzk said:

I don't like it for the reasons you stated above, plus the obvious factor of covid.

Adding two more teams this year just tempts fate that much more. The league put everyone in intensive protocol and there was still an outbreak among the Ravens that derailed the T-giving game plus the first rescheduling. There will be no room for rescheduling during the WC weekend, and there is nothing in the CBA saying that the league or clubs can force players to live in a hotel bubble for weeks.

Everyone knows Covid can take 14 days to incubate, meaning players will be mingling together after having had Christmas gatherings that will eclipse Thanksgiving.

Great points. It endangers players in multiple ways. Not just from COVID but for more changes for injuries

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Welshers":5j8u1s0o said:
Great points. It endangers players in multiple ways. Not just from COVID but for more changes for injuries
Well, let's just drop down to one game per year and no playoffs. Need to protect the players as best we can at any cost. :roll:

OP
OP
W

Welshers

RolandDeschain":1hmc5pvw said:
Welshers":1hmc5pvw said:
Well, let's just drop down to one game per year and no playoffs. Need to protect the players as best we can at any cost. :roll:
I guess I'm just old school in that I'm adverse to change. I thought 16 games and 6 playoff teams with two byes was a perfect number. There are LOTS of injuries in the NFL the way things are. It's one of the very few things I dislike about the league. Just look at how we've been hurt by injuries this year. Look at young guys like Dak and Burrow getting heart-breaking season enders. The NFL has a injury problem and I don't think adding games on to the season is going to help.

It also cracks me up because the League and Goodell have been all about "player safety" recently, with all the new rules and advertising campaigns. But then they go ahead and add another game when there's money to be made. A bit hypocritical.

I totally get where you are coming from though. Injuries are part of the game. And I get the argument for people who are in favor of another playoff team and another week. Who can complain about more football! I dislike the changes personally though

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's automatically hypocritical to try and improve player safety while adding another game to the schedule? It's not a coin toss where it can only be one side OR the other, dude.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

RolandDeschain":2wva6g3y said:
It's automatically hypocritical to try and improve player safety while adding another game to the schedule? It's not a coin toss where it can only be one side OR the other, dude.
Well it seems to figure that it's already a long and grueling season and people are more likely to get tired by the end of it. There's a reason the players association REALLY didn't want to add another game. They ended up getting financially compensated very well for it so it was worth it for them. But yeah I think it is a bit hypocritical. Another game = more injuries. Period. Again I see where you are coming from as well though. I guess I'm just old school and of the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Welshers":ntxu78t2 said:
I guess I'm just old school and of the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
I'm a Senior IT Consultant, I look at everything as "there's always room for improvement" and tweaking things is part of that process no matter what, lol.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Welshers":dwhkrldx said:
SantaClaraHawk":dwhkrldx said:
Welshers":dwhkrldx said:

More injury risk? Yeah I guess so. The old "eliminate preseason games" line. I can see that.

Covid "risk"????? Cmon.....What are we up to now, like 100 players/coaches/random staff who have tested positive in the NFL? 150? More? I've never heard any follow up on their conditions......wonder why??? :roll:

I think you've seen what you need to see in regards to the risk. Stick to the injury concern 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Player safety, sure...

Maybe the extra Billion brought in from TV contracts and Ad revenue and merchandise can offset the players pain and suffering since they get a portion as far the Cap allotment.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Northhawk":dgxgguc3 said:
sutz":dgxgguc3 said:

The NHL is the worst and an example of the problems with a bigger playoff pool. Teams have little incentive to go all out in the regular season. Instead they do enough to get into the playoffs then coast through the rest of their regular season schedule. We already see enough of that in December in the NFL.

The NHL has 32 teams, with 16 making the playoffs. The NBA has 30 teams, with 16 making the playoffs. So the NBA is worse with more teams making it, than missing it.

LTH

Reaction score
On the flip side it does give us another game to watch...

LTH

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hell, I like the idea of a 16 team format! 4 division winners, 4 wildcard teams. Makes it more interesting and fun to me.