Doug Peterson had the Eagles +6.5

andyh64000

Reaction score
No logical reason to go for 2 there except the spread.

W

Welshers

Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Welshers":2dpu2cc6 said:
Teams have actually started going for 2 in those situations because of analytics. Even if you don't get it you have the chance to get another and still tie. I've seen a few other teams do this recently.

Not to go down 6, they do it to get to 7 when down 15 so they know what is in front of them. There is no reason to go for 2 when down 8.

W

Welshers

andyh64000":2ihtytg2 said:
Welshers":2ihtytg2 said:

Not to go down 6, they do it to get to 7 when down 15 so they know what is in front of them. There is no reason to go for 2 when down 8.
No, they do it to go down to 6 because of analytics. Here is an article on why it is happening:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/281 ... s-backs-up

TypeSly

Reaction score
andyh64000":154pqkqn said:

Totally. It made no sense at all. I can imagine all the betters out there raging after the hail mary and the two point conversion to lose by a half point on the spread.

Thank god I put in my bet when the line was at -5.5 :2thumbs:

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Welshers":27b0op2q said:
andyh64000":27b0op2q said:
Welshers":27b0op2q said:

No, they do it to go down to 6 because of analytics. Here is an article on why it is happening:

Come on, according to the article you linked, this is literally the first time a team has gone for two down 8 intentionally other than in a driving snow storm where they went for 2 every time. Peterson knew what he was doing, he knew the spread and figured he would try to win some Philly fans by covering the spread.

W

Welshers

andyh64000":2qbr8wlo said:
Welshers":2qbr8wlo said:
andyh64000":2qbr8wlo said:
Welshers":2qbr8wlo said:

Come on, according to the article you linked, this is literally the first time a team has gone for two down 8 intentionally other than in a driving snow storm where they went for 2 every time. Peterson knew what he was doing, he knew the spread and figured he would try to win some Philly fans by covering the spread.
Then you didn't read the article. The article is 2 years old, but it said the exact same situation happened twice in 2017 and 3 times in 18. It has happened more since. The article explains the analytics quite clearly

Jeremy517

Reaction score
The Packers did it in week eight against the Vikings.

It is a math play.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Welshers":1sw6dxk9 said:
andyh64000":1sw6dxk9 said:
Welshers":1sw6dxk9 said:
andyh64000":1sw6dxk9 said:

Then you didn't read the article. The article is 2 years old, but it said the exact same situation happened twice in 2017 and 3 times in 18. It has happened more since. The article explains the analytics quite clearly

You're right, I skimmed and missed the rest of that paragraph. That being said, I still think the spread affected his decision.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TypeSly":1vgzdwww said:
andyh64000":1vgzdwww said:

Totally. It made no sense at all. I can imagine all the betters out there raging after the hail mary and the two point conversion to lose by a half point on the spread.

LOL, I was watching the game at my friend's house. He and a couple of other guys had the Hawk's +6.5. They each lost roughly $1,600 on that Hail mary/2 pt conversion play. It was as somber an atmosphere as I've ever been in after a Hawk win amongst Hawk's fans

Reaction score
It was an odd call with their kicker being automatic on extra points all year except this game. That said, I had a strange feeling they would go for 2. Just was expecting something more elaborate than a run up the middle.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":vgurhygy said:
TypeSly":vgurhygy said:
andyh64000":vgurhygy said:

LOL, I was watching the game at my friend's house. He and a couple of other guys had the Hawk's +6.5. They each lost roughly $1,600 on that Hail mary/2 pt conversion play. It was as somber an atmosphere as I've ever been in after a Hawk win amongst Hawk's fans

I have nowhere near that kind of cheddar to bet on games but years ago in Reno I learned that betting the Hawks against the spread is a bad idea as they usually don't cover it.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":33f9p3j7 said:
OrangeGravy":33f9p3j7 said:
TypeSly":33f9p3j7 said:
andyh64000":33f9p3j7 said:

I have nowhere near that kind of cheddar to bet on games but years ago in Reno I learned that betting the Hawks against the spread is a bad idea as they usually don't cover it.

I haven't lost this season when I've bet on the Hawks. The lines this season have been really conservative -2.5 to -6, and one where the Rams were favored by 3 I believe.