Defense Showed Up

SonicHawk

Reaction score
What a unique feeling!

Don't get me wrong, the Eggles have a terrible offense, but the things I saw -- from good decisions on coverage, knowing your help, and tackling in space were definitely positives.

Now if the offense could learn how to throw to both DK and Lockett at the same time, we'd be set.

cymatica

Reaction score
They looked great, just need to finish.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Carlos Dunlap is a savior for a defense that requires a competent LEO for things to work. Hope they can lock him up for a few years.

Overall they played well even if as you said Eagles are a bad team. Coverage was good, pressure was good, run D overall pretty solid. Adams continues to make some splash plays. They simply need to be average the rest of the way and this is a legit contender.

Offense was bad. Slow, boring, predictable. DK won the game really, winning the 1 on 1's all night. Let's hope Carson can heal up cause he clearly wasn't ready to go fully tonight.

Chapow

Reaction score
cymatica":3qnnjihg said:

Define "need to finish". They gave up a total of 17 points and we won the game.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Chapow":24p334oj said:
cymatica":24p334oj said:

I agree with tthe OP. They need to finish off these games, and not let weak teams back into the game when they have them down. Our prevent defence seems to let teams back in every time.

Chapow

Reaction score
mistaowen":561jig0a said:
Carlos Dunlap is a savior for a defense that requires a competent LEO for things to work. Hope they can lock him up for a few years.

Overall they played well even if as you said Eagles are a bad team. Coverage was good, pressure was good, run D overall pretty solid. Adams continues to make some splash plays. They simply need to be average the rest of the way and this is a legit contender.

Offense was bad. Slow, boring, predictable. DK won the game really, winning the 1 on 1's all night. Let's hope Carson can heal up cause he clearly wasn't ready to go fully tonight.

Interestingly, if DK hadn't dropped that TD pass, and the final score was 30 instead of 23, we'd all probably be feeling a little better about their offensive performance tonight.

And yes, other than that drop, DK was a monster out there tonight.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TypeSly":rgv3ct5l said:
Chapow":rgv3ct5l said:
cymatica":rgv3ct5l said:

I agree with tthe OP. They need to finish off these games, and not let weak teams back into the game when they have them down. Our prevent defence seems to let teams back in every time.

From the 4 minute mark in the 4th, the Eagles were never “in the game”

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The hail mary seems to have soured a solid performance by the D with some fans.

Fair enough. But remember, their only other TD came on the absurd missed grounding call.

This game wasn't really close. A sputtering offense just didn't click like we are used to seeing but still were good for 23 and "unfortunate" not to put up.30 plus.

The D controlled their side of the game. Was nice to see.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Hawkpower":294lzlmd said:
TypeSly":294lzlmd said:
Chapow":294lzlmd said:
cymatica":294lzlmd said:

14-6 after the first half dominating, the Eagles were still in the game. Then to go 3 and out in the first drive of the second. Don't forget that baffling 4th and 4 gamble by the Eagles, or it would have been much closer. There wasn't much time in this game, where the Eagles were out of it, even though they should have not been in the game.

Polk738

Reaction score
6 sacks, 6 TFLs 1 INT, 221 pass yards which a good portion of that came in garbage time on the final drive, I don't think the Eagles had a first down until their 6th possession. Miles Sanders was averaging over 5 YPC coming into the game. Defense held him to 2.5 YPC. Not bad for the worst defense in the league 8)

-Having Shaq Griffin back was huge, he played a damn good game

-Adams played great but he is not as good in coverage as he thinks he is, I feel like he is still free lancing too much and giving up his coverages IE the missed tackle on Goeddert up the seam.

Reed was a monster tonight, it's amazing how much better he plays with a good EDGE on the team

Should be some great defensive highlights for Top Billin' for sure ;)

niveky

Reaction score
SonicHawk":yc0wzb98 said:
What a unique feeling!

Don't get me wrong, the Eggles have a terrible offense, but the things I saw -- from good decisions on coverage, knowing your help, and tackling in space were definitely positives.

Now if the offense could learn how to throw to both DK and Lockett at the same time, we'd be set.

like i mentioned in another thread...the eagles defense came to play...wentz was not AS terrible as he has been. He made some key runs, got a couple of nice drives out of his offense. They had a lot to play for too.

I think a bit more time having the pieces they got back today on offense today and overall it will keep getting better. That defense held an opposing team to under 300 yards for the first time this season. I really think that Pete continuing with the emphasis on balance this week helped the defense again. I listen to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller a lot on moving the chains and Carroll is on there every wednesday and also Kirwin is an old friend of his and so he will let out nuggets with Carroll quite often. He has been bringing up how Pete is always commenting on how the offense is always scoring so fast. He says it jokingly but on a serious note there is probably a lot too that. balancing things out, the offense is keeping the opposing offense off the field longer and the defense isn't just having to jump right back out because of quick scores.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TypeSly":1yk77tn7 said:
Hawkpower":1yk77tn7 said:
TypeSly":1yk77tn7 said:
Chapow":1yk77tn7 said:

14-6 after the first half dominating, the Eagles were still in the game. Then to go 3 and out in the first drive of the second. Don't forget that baffling 4th and 4 gamble by the Eagles, or it would have been much closer. There wasn't much time in this game, where the Eagles were out of it, even though they should have not been in the game.

You said prevent defense.

At no point when they were playing soft, were the Eagles actually in the game.

Chapow

Reaction score
TypeSly":9p4r3jt0 said:
Chapow":9p4r3jt0 said:
cymatica":9p4r3jt0 said:

Fair enough. I'm just not sure that giving up a TD on a miraculous one handed catch on a hail mary with 12 seconds remaining in the game is some sort of indictment of the defense. That is one of the luckiest, flukiest TDs you will ever see in the NFL.

sutz

Reaction score
I was pretty happy with the D overall. Sure, they had some blips, but there are not that many perfect games. We kept the heat on Wentz most of the nite, and mostly controlled the WRs. TEs have long been a weakness for us, so I'll allow that we were a little soft there.

We did hold one of the best RBs in the league to 15 yards rushing tonight. :2thumbs:

TypeSly

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1nqfzrh9 said:
TypeSly":1nqfzrh9 said:
Hawkpower":1nqfzrh9 said:
TypeSly":1nqfzrh9 said:

They definitely played some soft coverages tonight. But I wasn't talking about this game, I'm talking about the whole season. When has our soft coverages / prevent worked this season?

Chapow

Reaction score
TypeSly":1l9i0odc said:
Hawkpower":1l9i0odc said:
TypeSly":1l9i0odc said:
Hawkpower":1l9i0odc said:

They definitely played some soft coverages tonight. But I wasn't talking about this game, I'm talking about the whole season. When has our soft coverages / prevent worked this season?

Depends what you mean by "worked". If they play soft coverages / prevent at the end of games and we win, did it "work"?

For the record, I hate watching it too, but if we still pull out the win, which is all they are trying to do, I'm not going to complain much because in the NFL wins are all that matters. Winning 23-9 nets you the exact same result as winning 23-17. One more win.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TypeSly":2ovt48yv said:
Hawkpower":2ovt48yv said:
TypeSly":2ovt48yv said:
Hawkpower":2ovt48yv said:

Playing prevent defense (like every other NFL team does) late hasn’t cost us any games either.

Which is the point. 8)

TypeSly

Reaction score
Chapow":3elfy9ws said:
TypeSly":3elfy9ws said:
Hawkpower":3elfy9ws said:
TypeSly":3elfy9ws said:

Depends what you mean by "worked". If they play soft coverages / prevent at the end of games and we win, did it "work"?

For the record, I hate watching it too, but if we still pull out the win, which is all they are trying to do, I'm not going to complain much because in the NFL wins are all that matters. Winning 23-9 nets you the exact same result as winning 23-17. One more win.

Well, going by just wins is pretty general. Let's not forget going to prevent prematuely, also let the Falcons, Cowboys, Patriots, and even the 49'ers march up and down the field, to get back within one score. A few of those games took it down to one defensive stop, before we snuck out with wins. It's weird because our regular coverages in all those games were working, before the switch to prevent.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
niveky":qvpa4z36 said:
like i mentioned in another thread...the eagles defense came to play...wentz was not AS terrible as he has been. He made some key runs, got a couple of nice drives out of his offense. They had a lot to play for too.

Good point on Wentz. He was surprisingly smart with the ball. Outside of him and his WRs not being on the page, they had some good designed QB draws and plays but the defense was able to stay in front, make the tackle and keep any gains at a minimum.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SonicHawk":q4dpx6qr said:
niveky":q4dpx6qr said:

Good point on Wentz. He was surprisingly smart with the ball. Outside of him and his WRs not being on the page, they had some good designed QB draws and plays but the defense was able to stay in front, make the tackle and keep any gains at a minimum.
Wentz did not look "good", you're fooling yourselves if you think otherwise. Even when he had time he had a hard time throwing an accurate pass. He had a few nice scrambles, but he definitely was doing us a favor out there.