What a poorly called game

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seriously lame play by play, weak colour additoons and a totally weak postgame show.

Sure looked as if KIRO called up the B team all around.

Worst called Hawks gameI I’ve seen in many years. The postgame show was a weak attempt at a joke. Perhaps it was a Philly rew but they were flat out awful. Of the postgame crew only Heaps made much sense, the other two were embarrassingly awful. For a prime time opportunity KIRO blew it.

Made a road W much less enjoyable.

TypeSly

Reaction score
A lot of "iffy" calls tonight but the two most blatantly bad ones were the non-call on Wentz's intentional grounding which basically handed them a TD. And the non-existant holding call on Hyde's TD run. Just shameful.

Reaction score
TypeSly":15f81ope said:
A lot of "iffy" calls tonight but the two most blatantly bad ones were the non-call on Wentz's intentional grounding which basically handed them a TD. And the non-existant holding call on Hyde's TD run. Just shameful.

I think the bad calls evened out. That 4th quarter PI on the Eagles was iffy as well. Griffin got away with PI on Reagor in the 1st but it didn't seem blatant. That said, I was pretty livid with the missed intentional grounding call... don't understand how they missed that.

sutz

Reaction score
I think the OP was complaining about the TV coverage. :laugh:

IAE, there was plenty to complain about on all facets. KIRO was dependent on the ESPN feed somewhat. Post game, I switched over to 13. Much better recap all around. ESPN really isn't the premiere network any more, at least on NFL coverage.

Playcalling certainly left me scratching my head at times. The first quarter was really bizarre. We left 6 points on the board, passing on two FGs by going for it on 4th down. And the plays that were called seemed like we really got too cute by half. Throw in DK's dropped TD and we left at least 10 points on the field.

The refs were definitely not the A team. Blown calls on both teams threatened to shift game momentum several times. The blown grounding call was really terrible. Hell, the linesman was standing right there where he was supposed to be and the ball went out of bounds 3 yards upfield from him. :34853_doh:

So, yeah, not the best Seahawks experience of the year at all. And 2020 sets a pretty low bar.

But 8-3. :2thumbs:

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":1cow345f said:
I think the OP was complaining about the TV coverage. :laugh:

IAE, there was plenty to complain about on all facets. KIRO was dependent on the ESPN feed somewhat. Post game, I switched over to 13. Much better recap all around. ESPN really isn't the premiere network any more, at least on NFL coverage.

Playcalling certainly left me scratching my head at times. The first quarter was really bizarre. We left 6 points on the board, passing on two FGs by going for it on 4th down. And the plays that were called seemed like we really got too cute by half. Throw in DK's dropped TD and we left at least 10 points on the field.

The refs were definitely not the A team. Blown calls on both teams threatened to shift game momentum several times. The blown grounding call was really terrible. Hell, the linesman was standing right there where he was supposed to be and the ball went out of bounds 3 yards upfield from him. :34853_doh:

So, yeah, not the best Seahawks experience of the year at all. And 2020 sets a pretty low bar.

But 8-3. :2thumbs:

It's like going on a blind date with your best friends ugly sister....geeze! LMAO!!!

LTH

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sutz had it right, I was grumbling about the sophomoric game announcing and the totally lame post game show.

However, I do also think the referees deserved to get an F grade for that game. The most eggregious call I have seen in a long time was the call saying that there was no Intentional grounding when the ball clearly was 6-9 feet short of of the LOS after that snap cluster flock by Philly and the desperation throw by Wentz to avoid a sack. besides that the side judge was standing on the LOS and ball was way short of him. It seemed to me the referees had instructions to facilitate a Philly score that series and made a couple of other quite dubious calls as well. That crew needs to go back to school.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was thinking this was about our offensive play calling...in which case I agree. We ran a surprising number of stupid plays. That failed jet sweep at the goal line in particular on 4th down made me shout at the TV. Never in the history of football has a jet sweep from two yards out been a good call, even if it ends up working.

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":20bn1vih said:
I was thinking this was about our offensive play calling...in which case I agree. We ran a surprising number of stupid plays. That failed jet sweep at the goal line in particular on 4th down made me shout at the TV. Never in the history of football has a jet sweep from two yards out been a good call, even if it ends up working.

Same here. Not much space for the defense to defend so they converge pretty quick near the goal line. Very dumb call, let alone having DK assigned to block a DE.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gotta' that the 3 there after a nice long, time consuming drive imo. And that play call was brutal.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
From a great start to the season lately Schotty has been underwhelming. That jet sweep was a joke, and those three consecutive running plays for -7 yards was a return to less productive O.

It is possible to have a running game and to still allow Russell to cook.

I doubt I can remember a worse announced game than this one.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
jammerhawk":q5ml4yhm said:
From a great start to the season lately Schotty has been underwhelming. That jet sweep was a joke, and those three consecutive running plays for -7 yards was a return to less productive O.

It is possible to have a running game and to still allow Russell to cook.

I doubt I can remember a worse announced game than this one.

Agreed that the call ended up looking terrible, however, had DK landed his block, that was an easy score.

The MNF broadcast crew is awful. Not just this game either. I can barely stand to listen to them. Bad commentary, and not very good voices either. Play by play guy has a grating pitch to his voice.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The decision to go for it on 4th down on first possession made sense for setting game tone right outa the gate. Had they decided to kick everyone would be howling about not going for it. The play call wouldn't have been my choice (I would have gone to RPO right), but Schotty and our crew know more about what they're trying to do and have a track record of success that speaks pretty well in their/our favor. The other one I would have relied on our leg to put 3 on the board.

The officials had a tough night. Our coach said he had a tough night. Just one of those things. 8-3 and just a holding call from being 9-2.

themunn

Reaction score
Appyhawk":tyms58zy said:
The decision to go for it on 4th down on first possession made sense for setting game tone right outa the gate. Had they decided to kick everyone would be howling about not going for it. The play call wouldn't have been my choice (I would have gone to RPO right), but Schotty and our crew know more about what they're trying to do and have a track record of success that speaks pretty well in their/our favor. The other one I would have relied on our leg to put 3 on the board.

The officials had a tough night. Our coach said he had a tough night. Just one of those things. 8-3 and just a holding call from being 9-2.

Fully agree on 1st 4th down call - the defense held the Eagles to 0 yards and a 3rd and out on opening drive, so you put faith in both your offense (among the best in RZ) to score and set the tone, but even if not, you have them pinned back and put trust in a defense that's starting to come to life to stop them and get the ball back in dangerous territory.
That's exactly what happened and we started with the ball on the Philly 45 after they went 3 and out again.

2nd 4th down we were on the 37 yard line which makes a 54 yard field goal - makeable but no gimme. I liked the ambition there to go for it, particularly after A: failing the first time and B: two big defensive stops.

The 2 timeouts and playcalls I didn't like so much.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14eg2ao8 said:

This 100%! ^^^^^

BTW the ESPN post game was not much better. They seriously cut off Wilson's post game interview mid sentence and did the typical ESPN "other sports news" thing which was nothing but irritating. :pukeface:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Re the failed fourth downs, I was relieved to hear Pete afterwards defend the decisions but said "his play calls were bad". I am glad he is ok with the decision in that he won't get conservative now. I am curious as to his comment about taking blame for the play like he has input into play calling in those situations.

As for the broadcast, I did find some of the comments humorous, like when Reddick said it took Whiteside (or was it Rhegor) 3 days to get separation.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
You know the broadcast was bad when you'd rather have Aikman and Buck calling it!

It was a complete Eagles love fest for the announcers - no question! I think I yelled 'shut up' at the TV like 3 times.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Is this the normal MNF crew? For how valuable a commodity MNF is, you'd expect them to aim higher. Say what you will about Collinsworth and Michaels, but they sound like seasoned professionals game in and game out. This felt like the crew sent to a bad Sunday morning game showing in 2 markets.

sutz

Reaction score
pinksheets":csz7jro6 said:
Is this the normal MNF crew? For how valuable a commodity MNF is, you'd expect them to aim higher. Say what you will about Collinsworth and Michaels, but they sound like seasoned professionals game in and game out. This felt like the crew sent to a bad Sunday morning game showing in 2 markets.
It's ESPN. They've gone downhill in the last 10 years or so.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Sometimes you get the sloppy seconds post holiday crew.

It almost made me miss the Boogermoblile. Just kiddding, nobody ever thought that was a great idea. Not even BOOGER.