Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What a poorly called game

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
What a poorly called game
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 pm
  • Seriously lame play by play, weak colour additoons and a totally weak postgame show.

    Sure looked as if KIRO called up the B team all around.

    Worst called Hawks gameI I’ve seen in many years. The postgame show was a weak attempt at a joke. Perhaps it was a Philly rew but they were flat out awful. Of the postgame crew only Heaps made much sense, the other two were embarrassingly awful. For a prime time opportunity KIRO blew it.

    Made a road W much less enjoyable.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7457
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:17 am
  • A lot of "iffy" calls tonight but the two most blatantly bad ones were the non-call on Wentz's intentional grounding which basically handed them a TD. And the non-existant holding call on Hyde's TD run. Just shameful.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1054
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:11 am
  • TypeSly wrote:A lot of "iffy" calls tonight but the two most blatantly bad ones were the non-call on Wentz's intentional grounding which basically handed them a TD. And the non-existant holding call on Hyde's TD run. Just shameful.


    I think the bad calls evened out. That 4th quarter PI on the Eagles was iffy as well. Griffin got away with PI on Reagor in the 1st but it didn't seem blatant. That said, I was pretty livid with the missed intentional grounding call... don't understand how they missed that.
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 40
    Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:17 am


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am
  • I think the OP was complaining about the TV coverage. :laugh:

    IAE, there was plenty to complain about on all facets. KIRO was dependent on the ESPN feed somewhat. Post game, I switched over to 13. Much better recap all around. ESPN really isn't the premiere network any more, at least on NFL coverage.

    Playcalling certainly left me scratching my head at times. The first quarter was really bizarre. We left 6 points on the board, passing on two FGs by going for it on 4th down. And the plays that were called seemed like we really got too cute by half. Throw in DK's dropped TD and we left at least 10 points on the field.

    The refs were definitely not the A team. Blown calls on both teams threatened to shift game momentum several times. The blown grounding call was really terrible. Hell, the linesman was standing right there where he was supposed to be and the ball went out of bounds 3 yards upfield from him. :34853_doh:

    So, yeah, not the best Seahawks experience of the year at all. And 2020 sets a pretty low bar.

    But 8-3. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21463
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:15 pm
  • sutz wrote:I think the OP was complaining about the TV coverage. :laugh:

    IAE, there was plenty to complain about on all facets. KIRO was dependent on the ESPN feed somewhat. Post game, I switched over to 13. Much better recap all around. ESPN really isn't the premiere network any more, at least on NFL coverage.

    Playcalling certainly left me scratching my head at times. The first quarter was really bizarre. We left 6 points on the board, passing on two FGs by going for it on 4th down. And the plays that were called seemed like we really got too cute by half. Throw in DK's dropped TD and we left at least 10 points on the field.

    The refs were definitely not the A team. Blown calls on both teams threatened to shift game momentum several times. The blown grounding call was really terrible. Hell, the linesman was standing right there where he was supposed to be and the ball went out of bounds 3 yards upfield from him. :34853_doh:

    So, yeah, not the best Seahawks experience of the year at all. And 2020 sets a pretty low bar.

    But 8-3. :2thumbs:



    It's like going on a blind date with your best friends ugly sister....geeze! LMAO!!!


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1324
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm
  • Sutz had it right, I was grumbling about the sophomoric game announcing and the totally lame post game show.

    However, I do also think the referees deserved to get an F grade for that game. The most eggregious call I have seen in a long time was the call saying that there was no Intentional grounding when the ball clearly was 6-9 feet short of of the LOS after that snap cluster flock by Philly and the desperation throw by Wentz to avoid a sack. besides that the side judge was standing on the LOS and ball was way short of him. It seemed to me the referees had instructions to facilitate a Philly score that series and made a couple of other quite dubious calls as well. That crew needs to go back to school.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7457
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm
  • I was thinking this was about our offensive play calling...in which case I agree. We ran a surprising number of stupid plays. That failed jet sweep at the goal line in particular on 4th down made me shout at the TV. Never in the history of football has a jet sweep from two yards out been a good call, even if it ends up working.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 32080
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


Re: What a poorly called game
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I was thinking this was about our offensive play calling...in which case I agree. We ran a surprising number of stupid plays. That failed jet sweep at the goal line in particular on 4th down made me shout at the TV. Never in the history of football has a jet sweep from two yards out been a good call, even if it ends up working.


    Same here. Not much space for the defense to defend so they converge pretty quick near the goal line. Very dumb call, let alone having DK assigned to block a DE.
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 40
    Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:17 am


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:51 am
  • Gotta' that the 3 there after a nice long, time consuming drive imo. And that play call was brutal.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16930
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:34 am
  • From a great start to the season lately Schotty has been underwhelming. That jet sweep was a joke, and those three consecutive running plays for -7 yards was a return to less productive O.

    It is possible to have a running game and to still allow Russell to cook.

    I doubt I can remember a worse announced game than this one.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7457
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:From a great start to the season lately Schotty has been underwhelming. That jet sweep was a joke, and those three consecutive running plays for -7 yards was a return to less productive O.

    It is possible to have a running game and to still allow Russell to cook.

    I doubt I can remember a worse announced game than this one.


    Agreed that the call ended up looking terrible, however, had DK landed his block, that was an easy score.

    The MNF broadcast crew is awful. Not just this game either. I can barely stand to listen to them. Bad commentary, and not very good voices either. Play by play guy has a grating pitch to his voice.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2807
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:17 am
  • The decision to go for it on 4th down on first possession made sense for setting game tone right outa the gate. Had they decided to kick everyone would be howling about not going for it. The play call wouldn't have been my choice (I would have gone to RPO right), but Schotty and our crew know more about what they're trying to do and have a track record of success that speaks pretty well in their/our favor. The other one I would have relied on our leg to put 3 on the board.

    The officials had a tough night. Our coach said he had a tough night. Just one of those things. 8-3 and just a holding call from being 9-2.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1954
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:11 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:The decision to go for it on 4th down on first possession made sense for setting game tone right outa the gate. Had they decided to kick everyone would be howling about not going for it. The play call wouldn't have been my choice (I would have gone to RPO right), but Schotty and our crew know more about what they're trying to do and have a track record of success that speaks pretty well in their/our favor. The other one I would have relied on our leg to put 3 on the board.

    The officials had a tough night. Our coach said he had a tough night. Just one of those things. 8-3 and just a holding call from being 9-2.


    Fully agree on 1st 4th down call - the defense held the Eagles to 0 yards and a 3rd and out on opening drive, so you put faith in both your offense (among the best in RZ) to score and set the tone, but even if not, you have them pinned back and put trust in a defense that's starting to come to life to stop them and get the ball back in dangerous territory.
    That's exactly what happened and we started with the ball on the Philly 45 after they went 3 and out again.

    2nd 4th down we were on the 37 yard line which makes a 54 yard field goal - makeable but no gimme. I liked the ambition there to go for it, particularly after A: failing the first time and B: two big defensive stops.

    The 2 timeouts and playcalls I didn't like so much.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3616
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:19 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I was thinking this was about our offensive play calling...in which case I agree. We ran a surprising number of stupid plays. That failed jet sweep at the goal line in particular on 4th down made me shout at the TV. Never in the history of football has a jet sweep from two yards out been a good call, even if it ends up working.


    This 100%! ^^^^^

    BTW the ESPN post game was not much better. They seriously cut off Wilson's post game interview mid sentence and did the typical ESPN "other sports news" thing which was nothing but irritating. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7283
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 pm
  • Re the failed fourth downs, I was relieved to hear Pete afterwards defend the decisions but said "his play calls were bad". I am glad he is ok with the decision in that he won't get conservative now. I am curious as to his comment about taking blame for the play like he has input into play calling in those situations.

    As for the broadcast, I did find some of the comments humorous, like when d*ck said it took Whiteside (or was it Rhegor) 3 days to get separation.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1126
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:44 pm
  • You know the broadcast was bad when you'd rather have Aikman and Buck calling it!

    It was a complete Eagles love fest for the announcers - no question! I think I yelled 'shut up' at the TV like 3 times.
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:48 pm
  • Is this the normal MNF crew? For how valuable a commodity MNF is, you'd expect them to aim higher. Say what you will about Collinsworth and Michaels, but they sound like seasoned professionals game in and game out. This felt like the crew sent to a bad Sunday morning game showing in 2 markets.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2970
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: What a poorly called game
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:04 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Is this the normal MNF crew? For how valuable a commodity MNF is, you'd expect them to aim higher. Say what you will about Collinsworth and Michaels, but they sound like seasoned professionals game in and game out. This felt like the crew sent to a bad Sunday morning game showing in 2 markets.

    It's ESPN. They've gone downhill in the last 10 years or so.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21463
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: What a poorly called game
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:45 pm
  • Sometimes you get the sloppy seconds post holiday crew.

    It almost made me miss the Boogermoblile. Just kiddding, nobody ever thought that was a great idea. Not even BOOGER.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 239
    Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm




It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hawkman21, hgwellz12, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 174 guests