It is time to move on from Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has brought the Seahawks to new heights. He came in off of a failure of an administration and brought new life into the Seahawks. He brought us our only win in the big game ever in one of the most one sided Super Bowls ever. The Hawks absolutely stomped one of the best QBs of all time -- and almost shutout the best offenses in NFL history. That moment was one of the happiest moments in my life. I remember that day, the feelings in the street, it was magical. The crazy bastard did it again and got us into a second Super Bowl. Could we be the next dynasty? I wondered. The final second of the game came and the events that transpired collectively broke Seattle, and would be the catalyst for the dismantling of one of the greatest defenses of all time -- and what people consider to be the best team of the 2010s decade.

Since that fateful day the Seahawks have returned back to the ratpack. Rule changes along with a slew of poor drafts, questionable trades and bad in game management have made the Seahawks, quite frankly mediocre. Good enough to get into the playoffs, not good enough to make it past the divisional game. This culminated in a season where the Seahawks missed the playoffs, what followed next was a purge. Our coaching staff was completely gutted, and our cornerstones players were let go. Many touted a 3 year rebuild/reload, here we are at the three year mark. What have we got to show for it? We've got some decent players, but a team that looks uninspired. A defense that was heading towards being one of the worst defenses in NFL history, and offense that is now struggling. By virtue of a weak ending schedule we got a team that could finish 12-4, but we all know that we are the great pretenders.

The man at the center of this Pete Carroll is done being a top tier NFL coach. One poster said it best when they said "Pete Carroll is a hall of fame coach in between game days". Carroll seems to inspire his players, particularly the younger ones. He brings out the best in the players. Despite this, it has become clear that many other elements of a Pete Carroll led team are lacking, particularly his philosophies and in-game management. The same story is playing itself over, and over again, like a broken record player. For the past 5, going on six years, we've played this same dance, repeating the same mistakes. The Seahawks are trapped in a perpetual state of groundhogs day, tied to a coach that has clearly lost his edge.

Carroll has lost his edge. There comes a time when even the greats lose touch of the game, we're seeing that right now. Holmgren, Parcells and Ditka come to mind. A arduous, slow decline from their haydays, into a state of mediocrity, or just flatout desolation. We're seeing that slow burn with Carroll right now. It has become clear that he is no longer capable of achieving anything with the Seahawks other than slowly backing into the playoffs. He's below .500 in the playoffs since our last Super Bowl appearance and we have not made it past the wildcard with some talented teams. Carroll's accomplished all he's going to accomplish here and it is time to move on. Nothing gold can stay, and Carroll's time has passed on. Ever year we keep Carroll, we take a year off of Russell Wilson's prime.

Rat

Reaction score
The time for that was probably before giving him that long extension.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Welshers":30fw90ne said:
Who would you rather have?
Ah, yes, this same old tired argument, automatically the rebuttal anyone has when Pete is questioned. You may be fine just barely backing into the playoffs year, after year, but I'm not. It is abundantly clear that Pete Carroll is incapable of ever taking us to the big game, ever again. Just look at the Packers without Mike McCarthy, a coach that had a good track record in Green Bay -- think they regret that decision?

Sometimes it is just time to move on. You think Carroll is going to take us any farther? What about Carroll has shown you that he can get us back? If it the defense that has declined each and every year since 2015? Is it the below .500 win rate in the playoffs since 2015? Currently we're a team that lives and dies on the arm of our QB, and we're tied to a coach that has consistently got in the way of our QB's development, and progress. Pete Carroll isn't getting younger either, at 69 he is the oldest coach in the NFL. Next season he is going to be two years away from being the oldest coach to ever coach a game. You don't think with that we're going to get some form of cognitive decline? We're already seeing some baffling in game decision making, and some odd game plans.

Foofighter73

Reaction score
This is a tough situation. I think most of us appreciate everything that this regime has done for the city and for Seahawks football, but the ceiling now for this team seems to be the divisional playoffs every year. It's enough to be somewhat relevant and a lot of fans are content with that. I'm not.

Russell's career is being taken for granted and wasted. Find someone that can build a gameplan that takes advantage of all of the talent on that offense. Put an average defense with that and the Seahawks are true contenders again.

I have no idea who they would go after if they were to make a change, but I think maintaining a positive culture is really important for the organization and for the fans. I'd talk to Dabo Swinney first. Who do you like?

themunn

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1s3ig3im said:
Just look at the Packers without Mike McCarthy, a coach that had a good track record in Green Bay -- think they regret that decision?

But McCarthy was fired when the Packers stopped winning - 7-9 in 2017 and 4-7-1 at the point he was fired (losing 5 of their previous 6 games).

Don't pretend they took a coach who was still winning and making it into the playoffs and fired him as some kind of smart personnel move. They fired a coach who used to win and stopped winning. But as far as I see it, Carroll is a coach who used to win and is still winning.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Here we go again. Forget that we're tied for the division lead (and control our destiny). Forget that the majority of new head coaching hires are flops. Forget that we were down to playing a 4th string tackle who shouldn't even be in the league. Let's just fire Pete and the whole staff. And if the new guys lose a few games? We'll fire them too!

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1arcbv09 said:
Here we go again. Forget that we're tied for the division lead (and control our destiny). Forget that the majority of new head coaching hires are flops. Forget that we were down to playing a 4th string tackle who shouldn't even be in the league. Let's just fire Pete and the whole staff. And if the new guys lose a few games? We'll fire them too!

We were in the same spot last year and choked. 10-2 and finished 11-5. Rinse and RePete. Keep on drinking the KoolAid and buying the Snake Oil he’s selling.

RCATES

Reaction score
Tusc2000":13ny8rcx said:
Kinda pointless having the division lead when the team you’re tied with can whip you like a dog.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ttsd94q said:
Pete Carroll has brought the Seahawks to new heights. He came in off of a failure of an administration and brought new life into the Seahawks. He brought us our only win in the big game ever in one of the most one sided Super Bowls ever. The Hawks absolutely stomped one of the best QBs of all time -- and almost shutout the best offenses in NFL history. That moment was one of the happiest moments in my life. I remember that day, the feelings in the street, it was magical. The crazy bastard did it again and got us into a second Super Bowl. Could we be the next dynasty? I wondered. The final second of the game came and the events that transpired collectively broke Seattle, and would be the catalyst for the dismantling of one of the greatest defenses of all time -- and what people consider to be the best team of the 2010s decade.

Since that fateful day the Seahawks have returned back to the ratpack. Rule changes along with a slew of poor drafts, questionable trades and bad in game management have made the Seahawks, quite frankly mediocre. Good enough to get into the playoffs, not good enough to make it past the divisional game. This culminated in a season where the Seahawks missed the playoffs, what followed next was a purge. Our coaching staff was completely gutted, and our cornerstones players were let go. Many touted a 3 year rebuild/reload, here we are at the three year mark. What have we got to show for it? We've got some decent players, but a team that looks uninspired. A defense that was heading towards being one of the worst defenses in NFL history, and offense that is now struggling. By virtue of a weak ending schedule we got a team that could finish 12-4, but we all know that we are the great pretenders.

The man at the center of this Pete Carroll is done being a top tier NFL coach. One poster said it best when they said "Pete Carroll is a hall of fame coach in between game days". Carroll seems to inspire his players, particularly the younger ones. He brings out the best in the players. Despite this, it has become clear that many other elements of a Pete Carroll led team are lacking, particularly his philosophies and in-game management. The same story is playing itself over, and over again, like a broken record player. For the past 5, going on six years, we've played this same dance, repeating the same mistakes. The Seahawks are trapped in a perpetual state of groundhogs day, tied to a coach that has clearly lost his edge.

Carroll has lost his edge. There comes a time when even the greats lose touch of the game, we're seeing that right now. Holmgren, Parcells and Ditka come to mind. A arduous, slow decline from their haydays, into a state of mediocrity, or just flatout desolation. We're seeing that slow burn with Carroll right now. It has become clear that he is no longer capable of achieving anything with the Seahawks other than slowly backing into the playoffs. He's below .500 in the playoffs since our last Super Bowl appearance and we have not made it past the wildcard with some talented teams. Carroll's accomplished all he's going to accomplish here and it is time to move on. Nothing gold can stay, and Carroll's time has passed on. Ever year we keep Carroll, we take a year off of Russell Wilson's prime.

This is well written. I was hanging on every word. Good job.

However, the same reason you stated is the reason pete will remain our coach. We are consistently in it every year regardless of personnel, mishaps and poor coaching underneath pete.

We have made it this far this season and it has been rough. Before the season started I expected to flatten teams which we started to do and then defense fell out. Now the defense is giving it's all and offense has stalled. Pete and coaches are making changes whether we see it or not. If you think we as fans are more upset then the players and coaches who lost yeterdays game...your wrong. They are more upset they got handled by the giants.

Pete isnt going anywhere. As much as anybody wants to push it. He is the best coach seattle has ever had. Regardless of wins and poor losses. They will turn it around and finish strong. Why? Because yesterday was just unacceptable. We will continue to play close games and pull them out at the end.

What I am understanding now is at the beginning of the season I thought we looked like the 2013 seahawks. When actually we are playing like the 2015 and 2016 seahawks. A team that is good, but hasnt put it all together.

I still think we pull this out. The teams in the NFC west are not that good and have been proven to lose some close games too. All it will take is seattle putting a complete game together to prove that. It wont be jets or Redskins. It will be the rams in the last week of the season. We will know then if we are capable of being the best team in the league.

Nothing else explains why they are slow playing Carson, or pulling the reigns back on wilson when the defense is stepping it up. We are mentally preparing for the tough games and overlooking the one in front of us. Every game needs to be complete defense, special teams and offense. Pete can do that. It will materialize and we will see soon.

Dont panic.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2f0xd2g0 said:
Tusc2000":2f0xd2g0 said:

We were in the same spot last year and choked. 10-2 and finished 11-5. Rinse and RePete. Keep on drinking the KoolAid and buying the Snake Oil he’s selling.

Can you think of any reason why they lost 3 at the end of the year? Anything important happen in that stretch? Pete isn’t selling you anything, he doesn’t care about you or you opinion....at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3an62zxy said:
Welshers":3an62zxy said:
Ah, yes, this same old tired argument, automatically the rebuttal anyone has when Pete is questioned. You may be fine just barely backing into the playoffs year, after year, but I'm not. It is abundantly clear that Pete Carroll is incapable of ever taking us to the big game, ever again. Just look at the Packers without Mike McCarthy, a coach that had a good track record in Green Bay -- think they regret that decision?

Sometimes it is just time to move on. You think Carroll is going to take us any farther? What about Carroll has shown you that he can get us back? If it the defense that has declined each and every year since 2015? Is it the below .500 win rate in the playoffs since 2015? Currently we're a team that lives and dies on the arm of our QB, and we're tied to a coach that has consistently got in the way of our QB's development, and progress. Pete Carroll isn't getting younger either, at 69 he is the oldest coach in the NFL. Next season he is going to be two years away from being the oldest coach to ever coach a game. You don't think with that we're going to get some form of cognitive decline? We're already seeing some baffling in game decision making, and some odd game plans.

It doesn't change the question. If the team's goal is winning, then who do you think is out there that could do a better job than PC?

I'm not using it as an argument against your point, just a logical reason why the change hasn't been made. Who would be better, and why? Because without that, then the argument isn't going anywhere.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I just wish he would hire some young competent coordinators and let them do their thing. It will never happen though unfortunately.

RCATES

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2izhes1z said:
Spin Doctor":2izhes1z said:
Welshers":2izhes1z said:

It doesn't change the question. If the team's goal is winning, then who do you think is out there that could do a better job than PC?

I'm not using it as an argument against your point, just a logical reason why the change hasn't been made. Who would be better, and why? Because without that, then the argument isn't going anywhere.

We're not winning another SB with Pete. People need to accept that now. So we're keeping him to get bounced hard in the 2nd round every year? At least with wholesale changes we have a shot of our talent still being around in a few years to make a real run. With what we have now its just a lost cause. Not winning anything.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1r69hh6f said:
Spin Doctor":1r69hh6f said:
Welshers":1r69hh6f said:

How about Eric Bienemy. Could you think what he could do with this offense. If he came in and was able to put Russ in a position to be considered elite, I would eat all the crow in the world for my recent criticism of Russell.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ok.. but who is out there that can win a SB with the team?

It's all well and good to proclaim "we are not winning another SB." there are 28-30 coaches who are probably not ever winning a SB, let alone another.

So who is out there that can turn this team around? Be interesting to hear that, instead of the persistent "why cant you all see how bad we are" nonsense. Noone here is under any aspersions to the team's position. Not engaging in teeth gnashing over it doesn't equal ignorance.

ducks41468

Reaction score
We can either get rid of the QB or get rid of the coach. And it's way easier to get rid of the coach.

Though it's not like either will happen.

Get ready for another 5+ years of the same. exact. thing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BubbaGump":39whrefc said:
Uncle Si":39whrefc said:
Spin Doctor":39whrefc said:
Welshers":39whrefc said:

How about Eric Bienemy. Could you think what he could do with this offense. If he came in and was able to put Russ in a position to be considered elite, I would eat all the crow in the world for my recent criticism of Russell.

I've heard his name around a few other jobs. He's done wonders on KC and with Mahomes. Would you feel good about turning over a team with RW nearing the end of his prime to a rookie coach?

Honestly, i'd be up for it. Just dont want a Saleh-type. I think the next coach needs to be more offensive minded.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1t6pgs3m said:
BubbaGump":1t6pgs3m said:
Uncle Si":1t6pgs3m said:
Spin Doctor":1t6pgs3m said:

I've heard his name around a few other jobs. He's done wonders on KC and with Mahomes. Would you feel good about turning over a team with RW nearing the end of his prime to a rookie coach?

Honestly, i'd be up for it. Just dont want a Saleh-type. I think the next coach needs to be more offensive minded.
I agree with you about Saleh. Stay away from the grinning Defensive Coordinators. They are snake oil salesmen in today’s offensive minded NFL. I would look at Bienemy to come in here and find creative ways to use DK instead of outside curls and go routes. That seems to be the bulk of where his routes are going.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
I agree, this is a game of inches and we have a coach that only cares about the 4th quarter. We could play the Girl Scouts and it’d still be a 1 score game. We don’t believe in scheming for opponents. We don’t believe in making adjustments at the line, or adjustments at any time, ever. We don’t believe in disguising anything we are trying to do.

We can beat anyone. We can lose to anyone. that kind of formula, while favorable for us since we seem to be a very lucky team, does not hold up during the playoffs, hence a quick exit each and every time. If changing this formula to something better means a different head coach then so be it, but he’s got a new contract so I’m not sure if it’s gonna happen any time soon

Status
Not open for further replies.