NFC West 19 years...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

Seahawks
12 winning seasons
13 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl win
2 Super Bowl losses

49ers
6 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
2 Super Bowl losses

Rams
7 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

Cardinals
5 winning seasons
4 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

The Seahawks have essentially twice as many playoff seasons as their division rivals. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he wanted a consistent winner. Thanks Paul for tour vision and commitment to winning. Even in your absence your legacy is intact. I could do the research on the rest of the NFL (I’m probably won’t), and I’m pretty sure that we would find that there is less than a handful of teams that have had more success than the Seahawks over the past two decades. Enjoy the winning 12s. It’s a very real tangible thing!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1dsysosh said:
The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

Seahawks
12 winning seasons
13 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl win
2 Super Bowl losses

49ers
6 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
2 Super Bowl losses

Rams
7 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

Cardinals
5 winning seasons
4 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

The Seahawks have essentially twice as many playoff seasons as their division rivals. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he wanted a consistent winner. Thanks Paul for tour vision and commitment to winning. Even in your absence your legacy is intact. I could do the research on the rest of the NFL (I’m probably won’t), and I’m pretty sure that we would find that there is less than a handful of teams that have had more success than the Seahawks over the past two decades. Enjoy the winning 12s. It’s a very real tangible thing!

Cool stats thanks for sharing:

Seahawks - Definitely the most consistent at winning and making it to the playoffs, in comparison to the others though lowest ratio of deep play off runs vs playoff appearances. Also worth noting the only team to win a SB win during that time frame. 3/13 = 23%

49ers - Highest Ratio of making it deep to the playoffs WHEN they make it into the playoffs. Could argue that they peak hard when they are setup, but also have a steep decline. 2/6 = 33%

Rams/Cardinals - Rams have had it better than Cardinals, but not as good as the other two teams. Im not gonna bother with the math.

You know an interesting stat to add to this would be to see how often these teams made it to NFCCG and/or divisional in their playoff runs as well.

renofox

Reaction score
A little more division info. List of Division winners since realignment, and who made it to NFCCG/SB:

2002 San Francisco 49ers
2003 St. Louis Rams
2004 Seattle Seahawks
2005 Seattle Seahawks SB
2006 Seattle Seahawks
2007 Seattle Seahawks
2008 Arizona Cardinals SB
2009 Arizona Cardinals
2010 Seattle Seahawks
2011 San Francisco 49ers NFCCG
2012 San Francisco 49ers SB
2013 Seattle Seahawks SB (W)
2014 Seattle Seahawks SB
2015 Arizona Cardinals NFCCG
2016 Seattle Seahawks
2017 Los Angeles Rams
2018 Los Angeles Rams SB
2019 San Francisco 49ers SB

In 18 seasons, DIV wins / NFCCG games / NFCCG wins / SB wins

Seahawks 8 / 3 / 3 / 1
49ers 4 / 4 / 2 / 0
Cards 3 / 2 / 1 / 0
Rams 3 / 1 / 1 / 0

Interesting that using these metrics the Cards have been more "successful" than the Rams.

The only NFC West team that has made it to the NFCCG as a wild card is the 2013 49ers.

Seahawks are best at winning in the NFCCG - 3/3, Rams also undefeated at 1/1

49ers are best at turning division win into NFCCG appearance - 3/4

49ers are best at turning division win into SB appearance - 2/4

Longest Division Championship drought - Rams, 15 years (2003-2018)

NFC West is above average in NFCCG appearances - 10/36 (9 expected)

NFC West is well above average in total NFCCG wins / SB appearances - 7 (4.5 expected)

NFC West sucks at winning when they play in the SB - 1/7 (14.3% win rate)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The newer Seahawks fans don't understand how good we really have it. Not any fault of their own, they just weren't fans during the lean years where 9-7 was a pipe dream. 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 were the most likely final record and then there was "always next year."

When the Pete, John, Russ Era is over, it's going to feel a lot like how the Patriots feel right now.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I can't help but think, after reading this thread, that Pete Carroll & John Schneider have failed us & should be immediately fired.

Mike Holmgren should also be retroactively fired.

I don't really care if these moves work, I'm just ready for the change.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ZagHawk":21wl3a59 said:
oldhawkfan":21wl3a59 said:

Seahawks
12 winning seasons
13 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl win
2 Super Bowl losses

49ers
6 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
2 Super Bowl losses

Rams
7 winning seasons
6 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

Cardinals
5 winning seasons
4 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl loss

Cool stats thanks for sharing:

Seahawks - Definitely the most consistent at winning and making it to the playoffs, in comparison to the others though lowest ratio of deep play off runs vs playoff appearances. Also worth noting the only team to win a SB win during that time frame. 3/13 = 23%

49ers - Highest Ratio of making it deep to the playoffs WHEN they make it into the playoffs. Could argue that they peak hard when they are setup, but also have a steep decline. 2/6 = 33%

Rams/Cardinals - Rams have had it better than Cardinals, but not as good as the other two teams. Im not gonna bother with the math.

You know an interesting stat to add to this would be to see how often these teams made it to NFCCG and/or divisional in their playoff runs as well.

How are you defining a deep playoff run?

chris98251

Reaction score
Now you understand why we took the 49ers Ball and went to our home feeling the rest of the NFC west has, they thought they and I mean the Rams and the 49ers were getting a Patsy in the Division to beat like the expansion teams in the Panthers, Falcons, Saints who were historically bad back in their division to pad wins with and a playoff appearance.

We were that lost orphan Child of the NFC that ended up in the AFC west and Breast fed on Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers when all 4 would beat the day lights of of each other till we came in, and thought we would be a cake win. Our owners up until Behring were good and we had a decent front office that drafted and assembled a competitive Staff and players in those years and challenged the big four when it was considered the best division in football by many.

We came back home to the NFC and once taking the Crown from The Rams and the GSOT have been the team to beat more years then not.

The years of Sea Chickens, Seahags, just an expansion team that we don't consider a rival have past and we don't hear that anymore much, well except from fans that have nothing left to throw at us anymore.

We are not a Legacy team, but we do have league wide respect now.

Those that were not around then when we heard that stuff enjoy this time.

The ride is sweet when you have been the Red Headed Step Child for a lot of years.

Also remember, teams have eras, we could be the Bills, the Cowboys, or the 49ers who had long droughts after their days in the sun as well.

Lets hope not, but appreciate this time we are witnessing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
chris98251":3u9p1562 said:
The years of Sea Chickens, Seahags, just an expansion team that we don't consider a rival have past and we don't hear that anymore much, well except from fans that have nothing left to throw at us anymore.

I still shudder every time I hear the terms "Sea Chickens" and "SeaHags".... Those were the years when we were the laughing stock at worst, barely even registering on anyone's radar at best. I can't remember the last time some douchebag referred to the Seahawks using one of those terms. It's been well over a decade at least.

Now there are pages dedicating to hating the Seahawks. That is when you know you've arrived. Nothing illustrates success more than when you have true venom from others. Sea Chickens and SeaHags was never venom. It was much, much worse. It was just laughing at us. Making fun of us for not being relevant.

Hatred is our reward for success. Enjoy it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Here is how the NFC West has shaken out every year since 2003.

Hawks: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st
Niners: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 4th
Rams: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
Cards: 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 3th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd

One of those is much, much better than the others.

schkoot

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":av1se43y said:
Mike Holmgren should also be retroactively fired.

This board was loaded full of that back in the day. I remember "SeahawksFanSteveHarper" always ranting about "Playoffs or layoffs. It was so prevalent, that some dude made a proto-meme of someone pushing Steve over the ramps on the kingdome.

I was here from way back, and somehow lost my account under this name on one of the board reboots.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
schkoot":1795i5z7 said:
This board was loaded full of that back in the day. I remember "SeahawksFanSteveHarper" always ranting about "Playoffs or layoffs. It was so prevalent, that some dude made a proto-meme of someone pushing Steve over the ramps on the kingdome. I was here from way back, and somehow lost my account under this name on one of the board reboots.

Oh lord. The mere mention of Steve Harper brings back a plethora of emotions and memories. What a character. Like Stephen Hawking, the man was bound to a wheelchair who could not communicate other than via a keyboard. And boy did he make that keyboard sing. For better or for worse.

He was such an antagonist for so many years. I am hard pressed to think of a member that fired people up more than him and boy is that saying something. Trust me. So when that time came, and a member posted that image of someone pushing a person in a wheel chair down a hill, it was met not by horror and disgust but a chorus of LMAO's.

Not because any of us would every truly condone such an act, obviously, but because he deserved it, as a character and I believe even he found the humor in it.

Ah, good times.

I hope he's still alive and enjoying these recent years of success.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point Aros. We used to joke about how we wanted to the be "hated" team, because that meant you are winning a LOT of games. I love how many people hate the Hawks. Well, look at the success. So many mediocre to bad years back in the day. Painfully bad. But we still stuck around and cheered on our team.

Maulbert

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":l27i5cvr said:

Seahawks
12 winning seasons
13 seasons of playoffs
1 Super Bowl win
2 Super Bowl losses

Your numbers are off. The Hawks have made the playoffs 14 times since they joined the NFC, counting this year:

2003: Lost to Packers in WC, 33-27
2004: Lost to Rams in WC, 27-20
2005: Lost to Refs in SB, 21-10
2006: Lost to Bears in D, 23-20
2007: Lost to Packers in D, 42-20
2010: Lost to Bears in D, 35-24
2012: Lost to Falcons in D, 30-28
2013: Won SB, 43-8
2014: Lost to Patriots in SB, 28-24
2015: Lost to Panthers in D, 31-24
2016: Lost to Falcons in D, 36-20
2018: Lost to Cowboys in WC, 24-22
2019: Lost to Packers in D, 28-23
2020: Made playoffs, ???

Also, we've had 14 winning seasons since 2002:

2003: 10-6
2004: 9-7
2005: 13-3
2006: 9-7
2007: 10-6
2012: 11-5
2013: 13-3
2014: 12-4
2015: 10-6
2016: 10-5-1
2017: 9-7
2018: 10-6
2019: 11-5
2020: 10-4, ???

HawaiiD

Reaction score
How many seahawks fans here remember the "The Wave"?
Almost every sport(s) stadium started doing that. It was started by Bill the beer man back in the 80's I believe. I still remember my first trip to the Kingdome back in 94.Icouldn't believe how loud a stadium could get back then.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

evergreen

Reaction score
I thought the wave started at Husky Stadium in 1977. At least we did it there then ...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nice. I'm talking locally. UW basketball was doing it before the M's or Hawks. At least that's what I have always heard.
I know I'm glad it's gone for the most part :mrgreen: