Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFC West 19 years...

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:51 pm
  • The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

    Seahawks
    12 winning seasons
    13 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl win
    2 Super Bowl losses

    49ers
    6 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    2 Super Bowl losses

    Rams
    7 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    Cardinals
    5 winning seasons
    4 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    The Seahawks have essentially twice as many playoff seasons as their division rivals. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he wanted a consistent winner. Thanks Paul for tour vision and commitment to winning. Even in your absence your legacy is intact. I could do the research on the rest of the NFL (I’m probably won’t), and I’m pretty sure that we would find that there is less than a handful of teams that have had more success than the Seahawks over the past two decades. Enjoy the winning 12s. It’s a very real tangible thing!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2600
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:02 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

    Seahawks
    12 winning seasons
    13 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl win
    2 Super Bowl losses

    49ers
    6 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    2 Super Bowl losses

    Rams
    7 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    Cardinals
    5 winning seasons
    4 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    The Seahawks have essentially twice as many playoff seasons as their division rivals. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he wanted a consistent winner. Thanks Paul for tour vision and commitment to winning. Even in your absence your legacy is intact. I could do the research on the rest of the NFL (I’m probably won’t), and I’m pretty sure that we would find that there is less than a handful of teams that have had more success than the Seahawks over the past two decades. Enjoy the winning 12s. It’s a very real tangible thing!



    Cool stats thanks for sharing:

    Seahawks - Definitely the most consistent at winning and making it to the playoffs, in comparison to the others though lowest ratio of deep play off runs vs playoff appearances. Also worth noting the only team to win a SB win during that time frame. 3/13 = 23%

    49ers - Highest Ratio of making it deep to the playoffs WHEN they make it into the playoffs. Could argue that they peak hard when they are setup, but also have a steep decline. 2/6 = 33%

    Rams/Cardinals - Rams have had it better than Cardinals, but not as good as the other two teams. Im not gonna bother with the math.

    You know an interesting stat to add to this would be to see how often these teams made it to NFCCG and/or divisional in their playoff runs as well.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1692
    Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 pm


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:06 pm
  • Nice, thanks for the breakdown.
    Yep, we have had it good here in Seattle for a long while.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 pm
  • A little more division info. List of Division winners since realignment, and who made it to NFCCG/SB:

    2002 San Francisco 49ers
    2003 St. Louis Rams
    2004 Seattle Seahawks
    2005 Seattle Seahawks SB
    2006 Seattle Seahawks
    2007 Seattle Seahawks
    2008 Arizona Cardinals SB
    2009 Arizona Cardinals
    2010 Seattle Seahawks
    2011 San Francisco 49ers NFCCG
    2012 San Francisco 49ers SB
    2013 Seattle Seahawks SB (W)
    2014 Seattle Seahawks SB
    2015 Arizona Cardinals NFCCG
    2016 Seattle Seahawks
    2017 Los Angeles Rams
    2018 Los Angeles Rams SB
    2019 San Francisco 49ers SB

    In 18 seasons, DIV wins / NFCCG games / NFCCG wins / SB wins

    Seahawks 8 / 3 / 3 / 1
    49ers 4 / 4 / 2 / 0
    Cards 3 / 2 / 1 / 0
    Rams 3 / 1 / 1 / 0

    Interesting that using these metrics the Cards have been more "successful" than the Rams.

    The only NFC West team that has made it to the NFCCG as a wild card is the 2013 49ers.

    Seahawks are best at winning in the NFCCG - 3/3, Rams also undefeated at 1/1

    49ers are best at turning division win into NFCCG appearance - 3/4

    49ers are best at turning division win into SB appearance - 2/4

    Longest Division Championship drought - Rams, 15 years (2003-2018)

    NFC West is above average in NFCCG appearances - 10/36 (9 expected)

    NFC West is well above average in total NFCCG wins / SB appearances - 7 (4.5 expected)

    NFC West sucks at winning when they play in the SB - 1/7 (14.3% win rate)
    renofox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1442
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 pm
    Location: Reno, NV


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:40 pm
  • The newer Seahawks fans don't understand how good we really have it. Not any fault of their own, they just weren't fans during the lean years where 9-7 was a pipe dream. 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 were the most likely final record and then there was "always next year."

    When the Pete, John, Russ Era is over, it's going to feel a lot like how the Patriots feel right now.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14893
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:49 pm
  • I can't help but think, after reading this thread, that Pete Carroll & John Schneider have failed us & should be immediately fired.

    Mike Holmgren should also be retroactively fired.

    I don't really care if these moves work, I'm just ready for the change.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 630
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:50 pm
  • ZagHawk wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

    Seahawks
    12 winning seasons
    13 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl win
    2 Super Bowl losses

    49ers
    6 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    2 Super Bowl losses

    Rams
    7 winning seasons
    6 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    Cardinals
    5 winning seasons
    4 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl loss

    The Seahawks have essentially twice as many playoff seasons as their division rivals. When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he wanted a consistent winner. Thanks Paul for tour vision and commitment to winning. Even in your absence your legacy is intact. I could do the research on the rest of the NFL (I’m probably won’t), and I’m pretty sure that we would find that there is less than a handful of teams that have had more success than the Seahawks over the past two decades. Enjoy the winning 12s. It’s a very real tangible thing!



    Cool stats thanks for sharing:

    Seahawks - Definitely the most consistent at winning and making it to the playoffs, in comparison to the others though lowest ratio of deep play off runs vs playoff appearances. Also worth noting the only team to win a SB win during that time frame. 3/13 = 23%

    49ers - Highest Ratio of making it deep to the playoffs WHEN they make it into the playoffs. Could argue that they peak hard when they are setup, but also have a steep decline. 2/6 = 33%

    Rams/Cardinals - Rams have had it better than Cardinals, but not as good as the other two teams. Im not gonna bother with the math.

    You know an interesting stat to add to this would be to see how often these teams made it to NFCCG and/or divisional in their playoff runs as well.



    How are you defining a deep playoff run?
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2824
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:50 pm
  • Now you understand why we took the 49ers Ball and went to our home feeling the rest of the NFC west has, they thought they and I mean the Rams and the 49ers were getting a Patsy in the Division to beat like the expansion teams in the Panthers, Falcons, Saints who were historically bad back in their division to pad wins with and a playoff appearance.

    We were that lost orphan Child of the NFC that ended up in the AFC west and Breast fed on Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers when all 4 would beat the day lights of of each other till we came in, and thought we would be a cake win. Our owners up until Behring were good and we had a decent front office that drafted and assembled a competitive Staff and players in those years and challenged the big four when it was considered the best division in football by many.

    We came back home to the NFC and once taking the Crown from The Rams and the GSOT have been the team to beat more years then not.

    The years of Sea Chickens, Seahags, just an expansion team that we don't consider a rival have past and we don't hear that anymore much, well except from fans that have nothing left to throw at us anymore.

    We are not a Legacy team, but we do have league wide respect now.

    Those that were not around then when we heard that stuff enjoy this time.

    The ride is sweet when you have been the Red Headed Step Child for a lot of years.

    Also remember, teams have eras, we could be the Bills, the Cowboys, or the 49ers who had long droughts after their days in the sun as well.

    Lets hope not, but appreciate this time we are witnessing.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34943
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The years of Sea Chickens, Seahags, just an expansion team that we don't consider a rival have past and we don't hear that anymore much, well except from fans that have nothing left to throw at us anymore.


    I still shudder every time I hear the terms "Sea Chickens" and "SeaHags".... Those were the years when we were the laughing stock at worst, barely even registering on anyone's radar at best. I can't remember the last time some douchebag referred to the Seahawks using one of those terms. It's been well over a decade at least.

    Now there are pages dedicating to hating the Seahawks. That is when you know you've arrived. Nothing illustrates success more than when you have true venom from others. Sea Chickens and SeaHags was never venom. It was much, much worse. It was just laughing at us. Making fun of us for not being relevant.

    Hatred is our reward for success. Enjoy it.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14893
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 pm
  • Here is how the NFC West has shaken out every year since 2003.

    Hawks: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st
    Niners: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 4th
    Rams: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
    Cards: 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 3th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd

    One of those is much, much better than the others.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4434
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:00 am
  • Hockey Guy wrote:Mike Holmgren should also be retroactively fired.


    This board was loaded full of that back in the day. I remember "SeahawksFanSteveHarper" always ranting about "Playoffs or layoffs. It was so prevalent, that some dude made a proto-meme of someone pushing Steve over the ramps on the kingdome.

    I was here from way back, and somehow lost my account under this name on one of the board reboots.
    schkoot
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 pm


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 am
  • schkoot wrote:This board was loaded full of that back in the day. I remember "SeahawksFanSteveHarper" always ranting about "Playoffs or layoffs. It was so prevalent, that some dude made a proto-meme of someone pushing Steve over the ramps on the kingdome. I was here from way back, and somehow lost my account under this name on one of the board reboots.


    Oh lord. The mere mention of Steve Harper brings back a plethora of emotions and memories. What a character. Like Stephen Hawking, the man was bound to a wheelchair who could not communicate other than via a keyboard. And boy did he make that keyboard sing. For better or for worse.

    He was such an antagonist for so many years. I am hard pressed to think of a member that fired people up more than him and boy is that saying something. Trust me. So when that time came, and a member posted that image of someone pushing a person in a wheel chair down a hill, it was met not by horror and disgust but a chorus of LMAO's.

    Not because any of us would every truly condone such an act, obviously, but because he deserved it, as a character and I believe even he found the humor in it.

    Ah, good times.

    I hope he's still alive and enjoying these recent years of success.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14893
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 am
  • Good point Aros. We used to joke about how we wanted to the be "hated" team, because that meant you are winning a LOT of games. I love how many people hate the Hawks. Well, look at the success. So many mediocre to bad years back in the day. Painfully bad. But we still stuck around and cheered on our team.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:19 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:The Seahawks have been part of the NFC West for the past 19 years. In those 19 years, counting this year, these are the successes of each of the four teams:

    Seahawks
    12 winning seasons
    13 seasons of playoffs
    1 Super Bowl win
    2 Super Bowl losses


    Your numbers are off. The Hawks have made the playoffs 14 times since they joined the NFC, counting this year:

    2003: Lost to Packers in WC, 33-27
    2004: Lost to Rams in WC, 27-20
    2005: Lost to Refs in SB, 21-10
    2006: Lost to Bears in D, 23-20
    2007: Lost to Packers in D, 42-20
    2010: Lost to Bears in D, 35-24
    2012: Lost to Falcons in D, 30-28
    2013: Won SB, 43-8
    2014: Lost to Patriots in SB, 28-24
    2015: Lost to Panthers in D, 31-24
    2016: Lost to Falcons in D, 36-20
    2018: Lost to Cowboys in WC, 24-22
    2019: Lost to Packers in D, 28-23
    2020: Made playoffs, ???

    Also, we've had 14 winning seasons since 2002:

    2003: 10-6
    2004: 9-7
    2005: 13-3
    2006: 9-7
    2007: 10-6
    2012: 11-5
    2013: 13-3
    2014: 12-4
    2015: 10-6
    2016: 10-5-1
    2017: 9-7
    2018: 10-6
    2019: 11-5
    2020: 10-4, ???
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 pm
  • Fun stuff here.
    BChawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1010
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:51 pm
  • How many seahawks fans here remember the "The Wave"?
    Almost every sport(s) stadium started doing that. It was started by Bill the beer man back in the 80's I believe. I still remember my first trip to the Kingdome back in 94.Icouldn't believe how loud a stadium could get back then.

    Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
    HawaiiD
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 239
    Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:34 pm


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:09 am
  • I thought the wave started at Husky Stadium in 1977. At least we did it there then ...
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 761
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:52 am
  • Locally, the wave started at Hec Ed at Husky Basketball games.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:09 am

Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:16 am
  • Nice. I'm talking locally. UW basketball was doing it before the M's or Hawks. At least that's what I have always heard.
    I know I'm glad it's gone for the most part :mrgreen:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:26 am
  • Great thread. One other thing worth noting is that over the past 19 years, a team from the nfc west has been the nfc's representative in the superbowl 7 times. That's a remarkable stat and makes Seattle's success that much more significant. Everyone is quick to hail the patriots as the dynasty for the ages. But they got rich off the dregs of the NFL in their division. The Hawks have been a force despite playing in the fiercest division in football over two decades.
    keasley45
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 331
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm
    Location: Cockeysville, Md


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:35 am
  • keasley45 wrote:Great thread. One other thing worth noting is that over the past 19 years, a team from the nfc west has been the nfc's representative in the superbowl 7 times. That's a remarkable stat and makes Seattle's success that much more significant. Everyone is quick to hail the patriots as the dynasty for the ages. But they got rich off the dregs of the NFL in their division. The Hawks have been a force despite playing in the fiercest division in football over two decades.


    Come on man!!!!

    We're in the toughest division NOW but it's hardly been the fiercest division for over 2 decades.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 630
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 am
  • We have been in the toughest division since inception, AFC West was also arguably the toughest division in football only challenged by the AFC central in that era.

    NFC West had the 49ers and Rams prior to rearrangement, that moved the Saints who were perennial losers and the Expansion Falcons out and brought in the Expansion Panthers and Perennial loser Cardinals.

    It's just in the last 20 that the NFC West has had contenders top to bottom.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34943
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:56 am
  • chris98251 wrote:We have been in the toughest division since inception, AFC West was also arguably the toughest division in football only challenged by the AFC central in that era.

    NFC West had the 49ers and Rams prior to rearrangement, that moved the Saints who were perennial losers and the Expansion Falcons out and brought in the Expansion Panthers and Perennial loser Cardinals.

    It's just in the last 20 that the NFC West has had contenders top to bottom.


    More like last 10. The '02-'10 NFC West was largely garbage, outside Seattle in 2005. Hell, in 2008, the NFC West went 10-30 in games vs. non-NFC West opponents. It was a fluke the Cards made the Super Bowl that year. They were the only team to post a winning record in the division that year, and had a +1 point differential.

    On the flip side, the 2013 NFC West did the opposite and went 30-10 vs. non-divisional opponents, and every team had a winning record outside the West (Hawks 9-1, Cards 8-2, Niners 7-3, Rams 6-4).
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Here is how the NFC West has shaken out every year since 2003.

    Hawks: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st
    Niners: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 4th
    Rams: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
    Cards: 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 3th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd

    One of those is much, much better than the others.


    This list only covers the last 18 years. I think we can now add 2020 results to this list.

    Seahawks:
    10 1st place finishes
    6 2nd place finishes
    3 3rd place finishes
    0 4th place finishes

    49ers:
    3 1st place finishes
    3 2nd place finishes
    6 3rd place finishes
    7 4th place finishes

    Rams:
    3 1st place finishes
    6 2nd place finishes
    4 3rd place finishes
    6 4th place finishes

    Cardinals:
    3 1st place finishes
    4 2nd place finishes
    6 3rd place finishes
    6 4th place finishes

    So in the past 19 years, the other 3 teams in the NFC WEST combined, don’t have as many 1st place finishes as the Seahawks. 16 out of 19 years they have been either 1st or 2nd. Plus they are the only team without any last place finishes. For the better part of 2 decades, this division has been basically owned by the Seattle Seahawks.
    Last edited by oldhawkfan on Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2600
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:38 pm
  • You have to have consistent QB play. Seahawks have benefitted from Hasselbeck followed by Wilson. The middle years were some of the 3rd place finishes. The Rams successful years were mainly from Warner and Bulger (some). Goff has been inconsistent. Cardinals success was Warner and Palmer. The 49ers success was when they had consistency from inconsistent Qbs- Smith, Kaepernick, Garcia, Garopollo
    94Smith
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 373
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


Re: NFC West 19 years...
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:29 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:So in the past 19 years, the other 3 teams in the NFC WEST combined, don’t have as many 1st place finishes as the Seahawks. 16 out of 19 years they have been either 1st or 2nd. Plus they are the only team without any last place finishes. For the better part of 2 decades, this division has been basically owned by the Seattle Seahawks.


    Thinking back, I'm a bit surprised that Mora's year didn't earn us a last-place finish. What did we have, 4 wins that year? That's usually enough to sew up the end of the division.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2581
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am




It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online