Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Josh Gordon Official Thread.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Welshers wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

It’s unclear why the league would only put Gordon back on exempt status and not suspend him again if he indeed “had a setback in his battle with substance abuse” that was a relapse. One possibility would be if Gordon is appealing a latest positive drug test, but that is speculation.

Conditions of his reinstatement remain confidential to the team, as are details of the league’s confidential drug-treatment program for every suspended player for reasons of patient privacy. Those conditions could include continued, required testing x number of times per week or month, reporting to assigned counseling and outreach sessions or any other term, administrative and otherwise, agreed to between Gordon and the league as part of his reinstatement process.

One can only hope this is a relatively administrative issue, for the sake of the 29-year-old father of two kindergarten-aged children.

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... 9737283584

Really hoping this is true. But Pelissero works for NFL Network, the leagues official media outlet. So I would be surprised if he were wrong. Let's hope

I'm sensing that you're right. There'd be no reason, ratings-wise or otherwise, for NFL to even attempt to throw games at this point. It's far more likely that it was a failed drug screen confirmed by gc/ms.

BUT

If it was a failed drug test, why the hell is he allowed to attend individual workouts?

Your right, the fact that hes allowed to workout is strange. ESPN is now also reporting that the issue stems from a substance abuse setback. Maybe it is somehow drug related but without failing a drug test? Like he got caught drinking or something? I have no idea, all speculation.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/305 ... ource-says
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

• Something is not right, with the history they as in the NFL would pull the plug quick, he would be indefinitely suspended again if it was a failed test. My question is with PED'S do they treat that the same as substance?

He did look damn DK like buff in the one picture I seen.

But still I don't think he would be allowed at the facilities.

Some thing isn't right in the 53 card deck.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• This seems like a conspiracy theory against the Seahawks... "Oh you need 1 more receiver to win a Super Bowl... haha nice try, go back to drawing board!"

That's how it feels the NFL is treating us on this one...

From my point of view he smoked some weed and they have some kind of tyrannical semi-abstract control over this situation to ensure our smaller market team doesn't have any kind of edge (which we should have for getting this player)....

Unless I ever hear he did something more serious than weed, I'm 100% officially pissed forever about this... anyone with 1/2 a brain knows weed is way healthier than alcohol... it's in fact maybe the only "strong" drug that has never killed anyone and it's impossible to OD... it's super healthy and awesome...

So if this substance was weed, and that's the reason Gordon can't play and therefor we have instantly -20% to win a Super Bowl imo... (this wasn't the first season this happened btw)... I cannot forgive the NFL for this kind of blatant dictatorship...

Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I can tell he just smoked a blunt or something... and I'm fine with that to be honest.

I'm REALLY mad at NFL right now.
    Tokadub
    NET Veteran

• Look, I don't disagree with you that they shouldn't test for weed in the NFL. But the fact is this guy has had six suspensions already. He didn't get all of those suspensions with the Seattle Seahawks. So was it a conspiracy back then as well? The new CBA also stipulates that players will no longer be suspended for marijuana use, though they will still be tested and possibly referred to treatment. The thing with Gordon is that probably doesn't apply to him because he was already on a strict disciplinary contract.

Another point is there is no way to know if it was just weed or a blunt yet. He has admitted to cocaine and xanax use as well in the past. The guy is struggling and needs to smoke weed (or other drugs) to the point he is willing to jeopardize millions of dollars to do so. Fair or not the rules are the rules. It seems he isn't following them.

Now is it BS that they let Antonio Brown play with all his r@p* accusations? Yes absolutely. But that doesn't change Gordon still continues to break rules. I support the kid and relate to him and want him to get better. But if he's failing drug tests it's no conspiracy from the league against us. It's just that: him failing drug tests. At some point we need to move away from victim mentality and just accept reality.

Also I think you are waaaaay over exaggerating his impact. 20%? The man had 7 receptions in 5 games played last year. Could he be very helpful? Yes. But would he make us 20% more likely to win a SB? I doubt that.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: Josh Gordon Official Thread.
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:13 am
  • Question: What were the terms of his reinstatement?

The Seattle Times reported "....Gordon had not satisfied the terms of his conditional reinstatement from suspension" so it would appear that he didn't adhere to something.

Anybody know what those terms were?
    AlbaHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 am
  • There is some explanation necessary from each of the parties here as this situation smells bad on many levels.

Is the roster move adding Gordon based upon the League’s news now voided, has Gordon failed a test, was the team wrong in announcing he was reinstated?

Am high disappointed here.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Ah well..David Moore it is
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:40 am
  • F, Gordon.

And the league seems inept on this.
    Vesuve
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:54 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:There is some explanation necessary from each of the parties here as this situation smells bad on many levels.

Is the roster move adding Gordon based upon the League’s news now voided, has Gordon failed a test, was the team wrong in announcing he was reinstated?

Am high disappointed here.

I think what happened is that Gordon reacted to his reinstatement by using, the usage was caught on a whizz test, he now has the chance to appeal, and the league is letting him continue to go to team meetings and do workouts at the facility in the chance he wins the appeal.

Meanwhile, it's now on the Hawks to decide whether it's worth the cost and effort to daily covid test this guy and have their own people train him individually. The only one I'm aware of on the team who won an appeal like that was Sherman in 2012, and he did it by attacking irregularities in the testing procedure (the sample transfer/leaky cup) as opposed to the results.

If he's appealing that the test itself was wrong...well there are actually two tests. First is akin to the one that anyone can go get from a drugstore. If that pops hot, then the testing place runs it through gc/ms to ensure that the molecules detected were a metabolite that could have come only from the banned substance, and not from, say, eating poppy seed bagels or using a non-banned cold and flu product.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:48 am
  • Moore is a strong dude, but his play has been soft lately, and he is dropping the football. Whenever he sees someone coming to tackle him, he pulls up a little like he's afraid of getting hit.

Pete needs to sit him a couple of games.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:11 am
  • Wilson has enough good receivers.

He just needs to play better

Gordon obviously is sick or doesnt care.
    He is done with football and needs help to live a normal life.
    Dallashawksfan
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 am
  • Moore is unreliable but somewhat useful
    Dallashawksfan
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:17 am
  • ScottishHawk84 wrote: I felt like Josh Gordon was going to be that Percy Harvin x-factor but that’s gone now...

In a way he still is....Misses several games only to be a flash in the pan to basically never be seen again, sounds like the Percy Harvin x-factor to me lol
    Polk738
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:16 am
  • Not sure if it was weed this time or not. I see where the NBA will no longer test for weed; a huge step into the 21st century. It time the rest of pro sports do the same. Even if you disagree the writing is on the wall: it is inevitable it will happen sooner rather than later.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:26 am
  • Many are assuming that Gordon used/smoked/snorted/shot up when this could as simply as a missed test or some other technical non-compliance. It's fair to assume the worst and the league needs to provide clarity to a a fanbase that was lead to believe one thing, but is handed another. I suppose as well it's fair to speculate on actual situations too but it really is spitballing and kinda BSing. We need more information on this situation before fair comment can be made. it smalls bad on many levels and we as fans are left to wonder.

However it turns out it dampens my enthusiasm for the NFL head office and leaves open many conspiracy theories, paints Gordon as even more flawed than believed (that isn't easy), or makes the team's FO look foolish. We need clarity on this.

I hope he is allowed to play and proves again he is a highly talented player albeit flawed. For him it's been a mostly lost career to date. I want to see a redemption song and positive end to this sad story.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 am
  • Well, if Gordon is appealing it and is on the excempt list, him and his agent probably know something we don’t either. Really wish we had more info. But it’s all good. We’re gunna lay waste to the Rams, as long as Wilson doesn’t ignore DK. In games he’s ignored DK we struggle heavily
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 am
  • Vesuve wrote:F, Gordon.

And the league seems inept on this.

Very. One day after reinstating him they move him back off the cleared list (but only NOW are we hearing about it), all based on what happened a year ago, the exact incident that caused him to get things turned around in his life. Smells like rotten fish to me.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:33 am
  • Maybe its a missed test otherwise he be suspended and not allowed to attend meetings.
    theseahawkguy
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:53 am
  • https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/305 ... ource-says
    "Gordon and the Seahawks were notified Tuesday that the NFL determined the receiver had not satisfied the terms of his conditional reinstatement, another source told ESPN. That makes him ineligible to practice or play in games for the time being."
    "The NFL's transaction wire notes that Gordon was put back on the commissioner's exempt list Tuesday, one day after he was taken off of it."
    "Gordon's attorney, Adam Kenner, confirmed to ESPN in June that Gordon's latest suspension was the result of a setback he experienced after the death of his brother last fall."
    Gordon's attorney, Adam Kenner, confirmed to ESPN in June that Gordon's latest suspension was the result of a setback he experienced after the death of his brother last fall.

AROUND THE NFL/Grant Gordon
    "Just a day removed from returning to the Seattle Seahawks' active roster and five days away from a potential return to the field, wide receiver Josh Gordon will not be allowed to play or practice with the team indefinitely after a setback in his battle with substance abuse broke the terms of his conditional reinstatement, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... vwca02bi6b
    "No word..."

So far "no word" is the most definitive info we have. Took a year to get THAT, one day after he was reinstated. Gotta believe he was tested prior to reinstatement. Multiple times.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:09 am
  • This absolutely stinks to high heaven. Nope. Nope. NFL botched this somehow.

None of this makes sense. If its substance abuse, suspend him again. If it happened in the past, why are we hearing about it just now, after roster moves have been made and Josh rejoined the team?

Whatever the case may be, the NFL owes Seattle and the fans an explanation. Immediately. And they're going to owe a BIG apology to the entire Seahawks organization.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:14 am
  • What makes me feel bad is this. Let's say he stayed clean. Pete said he's in phenomenal shape. It sounds like he's worked his ass off.

If he didn't relapse, which would've been an immediate ban, then what's going on?

I know he's a grown man. I know he's had several chances. Although I'm a 3 strikes screw you you're banned forever kinda guy, I don't make the rules. Being a 24 year vet, I don't agree with breaking the rules...even if I think they're stupid (like marijuana). Harder stuff...totally understand.

But, Gordon's a recovering addict that has received praise and support from our team. If he didn't relapse, then stop the $h!t and get this man back on the field. Forget
    football...it's this man's life and chance to show and prove. The NFL needs to show him that when he keeps clean, good things come his way. He needs SUPPORT.

Without the substance abuse, Gordon was 100%, without-a-doubt-if-you-disagree-youre-the-one-on-drugs, HOF receiver.

I'd really like to see his career play out. Right here on Seattle.

* If his setback was a relapse, you can throw everything I just said out the window. I would still hope he gets help but would want the Hawks to drop him and move on. If he wants to be that "some people never learn" guy, find a new profession.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:39 am
  • I just have to LOL at all the conspiracy theories in this thread. The guy is an addict, he has shown this over and over and over again. He didn't meet the requirements he had for returning. Whether its a failed test or otherwise HE FAILED not the NFL. Nor is it a conspiracy to keep him out of the league. In fact they seem to bend over backwards for this guy time and time again. Which is fine, and its also fine to have reqirements he has to meet.
    I thought it odd we were still trying to get him to play as it seemed pretty obvious how it would all turn out but thats their perogative as well. Regardless he isn't some game changer for this team. People claiming he is are just wishcasting.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:58 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:I just have to LOL at all the conspiracy theories in this thread. The guy is an addict, he has shown this over and over and over again. He didn't meet the requirements he had for returning. Whether its a failed test or otherwise HE FAILED not the NFL. Nor is it a conspiracy to keep him out of the league. In fact they seem to bend over backwards for this guy time and time again. Which is fine, and its also fine to have reqirements he has to meet.
    I thought it odd we were still trying to get him to play as it seemed pretty obvious how it would all turn out but thats their perogative as well. Regardless he isn't some game changer for this team. People claiming he is are just wishcasting.

Not a conspiracy theory so much as a plainly abnormal situation that puts literally everyone involved in a bad position. An absolute failure by the NFL that (at least temporarily) cost Penny Hart his job, cleared Josh Gordon and then shut him down again for something that supposedly has been known for a long time, and screwed around with the Seahawks front office gameplanning and roster planning. A complete explanation and an apology to the Seahawks is obviously warranted.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:59 am
  • I'm so over the whole Josh Gordon saga. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm
  • I hope the NFL does everything in their power to help him, and NOT penalize him!

Getting arrested and put in jail only extended my drug addictions. There was nothing there to help me, but I met plenty of people in jail who were willing to help me get high when I got out.

They need to pay his way through rehab, Sundown M Ranch in Yakima is like Holy Ground to me. Then they need to encourage their team to support a player in any way they can.

I know when Josh got suspended, Pete and Russell were both disappointed that the NFL wouldn't allow them to contact or support Josh which is garbage.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:25 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I hope the NFL does everything in their power to help him, and NOT penalize him!

Getting arrested and put in jail only extended my drug addictions. There was nothing there to help me, but I met plenty of people in jail who were willing to help me get high when I got out.

They need to pay his way through rehab, Sundown M Ranch in Yakima is like Holy Ground to me. Then they need to encourage their team to support a player in any way they can.

I know when Josh got suspended, Pete and Russell were both disappointed that the NFL wouldn't allow them to contact or support Josh which is garbage.

Amen brother. As a guy who has also struggled with substance abuse, I can only wish Gordon the best and hope he gets the help he needs. Punishing an addict doesn't help anyone. We need to help them.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

• Welshers wrote:
    hawks85 wrote:First off, no one knows anything right now. If he failed a drug test he would be suspended and done. He's allowed to team meetings and that's it for right now. He's not banned or suspended.

True, but I'm just posting what Condotta reported. He said he had some type of substance abuse setback which I'm not sure what it would be besides a failed drug test? He's back on the commissioners exempt list...

Substance abuse could be anything. It could be pain killers or sleeping pills etc...The fact that he can still attend meetings tells me this isn't serious. This is Goodell pulling some trumped up charges. C'mon guys you gotta think about this. Gordon is literally on this last chance here, anything real bad whatsoever, he's done. People saying he did the (H) or (C) drug, C'mon man. I got my own theories on this, but I'll keep them to myself, and it has nothing to do with substance abuse at all.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:18 pm
  • If he failed a drug test he needs to be gone, end of story. BUT..... The NFL needs to be more transparent in how they handled/handle this.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:02 pm
  • This does not sound like a relapse but a procedural situation.

Gordon went back on the exempt list because he has not satisfied the terms of his reinstatement from a suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll did not detail what caused Gordon’s status to change, but suggested that he could be able to play for the team in Week 17.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:21 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:This does not sound like a relapse but a procedural situation.

Gordon went back on the exempt list because he has not satisfied the terms of his reinstatement from a suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll did not detail what caused Gordon’s status to change, but suggested that he could be able to play for the team in Week 17.

Great news. Wish the NFL would come out and say something. Gordon is undoubtedly getting a lot of vitriol thrown his way for what honestly seems like just a horrible case of poor communication from the league.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:45 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:This does not sound like a relapse but a procedural situation.

Great news. Wish the NFL would come out and say something. Gordon is undoubtedly getting a lot of vitriol thrown his way for what honestly seems like just a horrible case of poor communication from the league.

I hope not. None of the players in the past that have been suspended have gotten any kind of support from the NFL. Regular businesses support employees in trouble much more than the league does.

Struggling players need support. If I had been treated like that, and hadn't gotten the support I did, I wouldn't be here now.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:53 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:This does not sound like a relapse but a procedural situation.

I hope not. None of the players in the past that have been suspended have gotten any kind of support from the NFL. Regular businesses support employees in trouble much more than the league does.

Struggling players need support. If I had been treated like that, and hadn't gotten the support I did, I wouldn't be here now.

One reason, the NFL considers things of this nature and if it gets in the media a damage to the Shield.

Palin and simple, we will lose merchandizing, image, attendence or whatever, we gave you a chance in OUR league and you $h!t on it, we will fine and suspend you to make sure we are wiping off the blemish you put on OUR shield.

Don't call us we will call you after you meet our standards, then maybe if we think you are a good boy we will let you back in under conditions and will forever be suspect and tested for trans.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm
  • The team is saying he could still play week 17, so I don’t think he reoffended. This is something else, who knows what. I do feel like the league just knows he could really put us over the top and is trying to keep him off the field. It’s BS if you ask me.
    Hawkfandrew
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 pm
  • Week **17** he could be back?

Are you kidding me?

The league announces they're pulling him right before practice in WEEK 16, which is the crucial week here?

This whole situation is leveling out to a situation of the absurd!

According to Kaiser Health News, 15 states have legalized recreational mj. If you're in one of them my opinion is you shouldn't have to test any more than you would for drinking.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:43 pm
  • Personally, I don't think he's needed. I feel the way about him the way I felt about possibly signing Antonio Brown. I don't want Lockett or Metcalf to be denied a single snap to accommodate him. If we need a 3rd receiver, they have Moore, Swain, or even Hollister and now Olsen.

What was Gordon going to offer against the Rams? 3-4 targets?
    eo620
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:29 pm
  • Did anyone here watch Pete in his Wednesday Press Conference( 12/23)? When asked a question about Josh Gordon he informed those in attendance that " the League has forbidden me to talk about Josh". "I am not allowed to say anything regarding his status".

In a previous post on Josh, I plainly stated that Josh would never appear in a Seahawk uniform in an NLF game. I stay by my prediction.
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:41 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:Did anyone here watch Pete in his Wednesday Press Conference( 12/23)? When asked a question about Josh Gordon he informed those in attendance that " the League has forbidden me to talk about Josh". "I am not allowed to say anything regarding his status".

In a previous post on Josh, I plainly stated that Josh would never appear in a Seahawk uniform in an NLF game. I stay by my prediction.

Well, he already did appear in a Seahawks uniform last year, he made some big catches. If you mean he never will again? That very well may happen.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:42 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:Did anyone here watch Pete in his Wednesday Press Conference( 12/23)? When asked a question about Josh Gordon he informed those in attendance that " the League has forbidden me to talk about Josh". "I am not allowed to say anything regarding his status".

He already has appeared on field in a Seahawks uniform. Do you just mean going forward?
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:55 am
  • Dallashawksfan wrote:Wilson has enough good receivers.

On the Cardinals, Bills, Chiefs, Saints, Packers, Lockett and Metcalf would be the 2nd best on the team. They could easily be shut down by a good secondary. Lockett is a polished route runner but undersized. Metcalf is a physical freak but doesn’t have the route running skills of a Hopkins, or Stephon Diggs. This is the best WR core and OL that Russ has ever had though, which was a low bar from when his career started.

Actually, in some ways I miss Doug Baldwin 2.0, who is comparable to Stephon Diggs. We miss his route running and uncanny ability to get open. Having Baldwin on the team with Metcalf would be flat out unfair.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:39 am
  • All I know is Carrolls Wednesday PC he was asked 7 questions about Gordon he said he is not allowed to talk about it...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:22 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    Dallashawksfan wrote:Wilson has enough good receivers.

On the Cardinals, Bills, Chiefs, Saints, Packers, Lockett and Metcalf would be the 2nd best on the team. They could easily be shut down by a good secondary. Lockett is a polished route runner but undersized. Metcalf is a physical freak but doesn’t have the route running skills of a Hopkins, or Stephon Diggs. This is the best WR core and OL that Russ has ever had though, which was a low bar from when his career started.

Actually, in some ways I miss Doug Baldwin 2.0, who is comparable to Stephon Diggs. We miss his route running and uncanny ability to get open. Having Baldwin on the team with Metcalf would be flat out unfair.

Metcalf is one of the best WRs in the NFL and is 4th in the whole league in receiving yards despite having considerably less targets than the top guys. He embarrassed Gilmore who is considered by some to be the best corner in the game and is the reigning DPOY. You are selling DK WAY short
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:38 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Week **17** he could be back?

Are you kidding me?

The league announces they're pulling him right before practice in WEEK 16, which is the crucial week here?

This game, and more so our Week 17 game with the Niners, isn't all that crucial. We do have an outside chance at HFA this week so I expect us to play as if our lives depended on it, but with a playoff spot locked up and home field advantage neutralized somewhat by empty/fractional crowds in the stadiums, all we're looking at is playoff seeding. With no bye, it would make sense to get some of our starters some rest and the backups some PT.

Week 17 would be just as good of a game, if not better, for Gordon to return as this week would have been. In all likelihood, the importance of the game will be reduced to that of a glorified preseason game so we're going to want to rest Metcalf anyway as he's had a few minor injuries. This would allow for Gordon to get a lot of snaps and targets and get him ready for the playoffs.

The above scenario represents one of the reasons why I don't like this new playoff format. With just one bye, it reduces the importance of Week 17 games.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:30 am
  • The fact of the matter is the NFL front office is an absolute joke. There is no rhyme or reason as to how they make decisions on player conduct.

You can allow a sexual deviant like Antonio Brown to play, even though he has serious cases against him for sexual and violent acts. You can allow a player who was involved with murder (Yes, Ray Lewis) and yet he continued to play and is in the HOF. You can allow 100's of players to use steriods in their day, and yet the HOF is filled with those same players. Where was the consistency in any of that? This is only a few examples.

I put a lot of fault on the players association for not having the balls to fight the league office hard and gain a more equal footing. The players should be their responsibility for conduct issues. The league office is using these cases to protect their butts. They don't want anything to harm their bottom line. That means dollars. They aren't equipped to handle these players issues. Let them deal with the financial aspects like sales and marketing to increase the total revenue for the league and teams. Leave the player issues to the players association and give them that responsibility. I am positive it would be handled in a far more fair and consistent manner.

But right now, all I see is a league front office with a "GOD" complex and no one to call B*llsh*t on them.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 am
  • It's the timing of league responses that is the issue to me. They had an entire year to process the "facts", after which they officially determined him to be eligible. Then, one day later, they come up with a "nope, you didn't meet our standards for eligibility". So the league is either saying they were in error declaring him eligible, or they are in error that he has not qualified. Had Gordon failed a test during the year, the year ban would have either started over at that point or would have been declared permanent. That is not what happened or they would not have declared him eligible. I don't see how this sudden disqualification can possibly be on Josh. It has to be some sort of technicality of wording, or legality issue, on the part of the league.
    I wonder who all has input regarding these decisions. Is it something that can be weighed in on by officials from teams around the league? Who is it that makes these determinations? Commish can't be handling this by himself.
    The timing of this decision sequence is extremely questionable and suspicious.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:36 am
  • If he failed a drug test, it'd have to be for PEDs again, because weed is ok now.

Metcalf needs to tutor him asap.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:25 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Week **17** he could be back?

Are you kidding me?

This game, and more so our Week 17 game with the Niners, isn't all that crucial. We do have an outside chance at HFA this week so I expect us to play as if our lives depended on it, but with a playoff spot locked up and home field advantage neutralized somewhat by empty/fractional crowds in the stadiums, all we're looking at is playoff seeding. With no bye, it would make sense to get some of our starters some rest and the backups some PT.

Week 17 would be just as good of a game, if not better, for Gordon to return as this week would have been. In all likelihood, the importance of the game will be reduced to that of a glorified preseason game so we're going to want to rest Metcalf anyway as he's had a few minor injuries. This would allow for Gordon to get a lot of snaps and targets and get him ready for the playoffs.

The above scenario represents one of the reasons why I don't like this new playoff format. With just one bye, it reduces the importance of Week 17 games.

Sorry but we are 6-1 at home and 4-3 on the road this year, with the only home loss that massive letdown against the Giants. Crowds might not be a factor but travel at 10am kickoffs still impact us in the playoffs and have done consistently.
    A bye may be out of reach but playing one or 2 home games will have a massive difference on preparation and recovery between games. In a one off game its not the be all and end all, but playing road game after road game after road game means a lot of travel toll and even if we make it to NFFCG that will make it difficult to progress - there's a reason why so few wild cards make it to the superbowl and its about travel, not noise. If we can at least get the 2nd seed it guarantees 2 home games, and if we do make it make it to the NFCCG then it becomes a one off road game which we aren't too bad at.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:37 am
  • Everyone just assumes weed. The guy was on everything at one time or another.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:48 pm
  • themunn wrote:Sorry but we are 6-1 at home and 4-3 on the road this year, with the only home loss that massive letdown against the Giants. Crowds might not be a factor but travel at 10am kickoffs still impact us in the playoffs and have done consistently.

The home/road differential is affected by strength of schedule. We have played just one team with a winning record at home (Cardinals) while four of our road games have featured teams with winning records (Cards, Bills, Rams, and Dolphins).

I'm not sure how many involve early starts, but since 2013, our record in the Eastern time zone is 16-3, which is a much higher winning percentage than our overall record during that period of time. The early start/east coast jinx is a myth.

themunn wrote:A bye may be out of reach but playing one or 2 home games will have a massive difference on preparation and recovery between games. In a one off game its not the be all and end all, but playing road game after road game after road game means a lot of travel toll and even if we make it to NFFCG that will make it difficult to progress - there's a reason why so few wild cards make it to the superbowl and its about travel, not noise. If we can at least get the 2nd seed it guarantees 2 home games, and if we do make it make it to the NFCCG then it becomes a one off road game which we aren't too bad at.

I'm not sure if I would agree that there's a "massive difference", but I'll grant you that it's easier to prepare for a home game than it is a road game. But that has to be weighed against the benefit we'd gain by resting players like Metcalf, Olsen, Iupati, Pocic, Dunlap, et al and keeping our QB off the firing line and risking injury in a relatively meaningless game.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:51 pm
  • HawkerD wrote:Not sure if it was weed this time or not. I see where the NBA will no longer test for weed; a huge step into the 21st century. It time the rest of pro sports do the same. Even if you disagree the writing is on the wall: it is inevitable it will happen sooner rather than later.

Agree 100% -- in the not-too-distant past, people were going to jail for possession of pot -- the marijuana = dangerous drug campaign was very effective for many years ... the ultra-conservative owners still have that mindset, so it is up to the NFLPA to put up a strenuous fight to change it.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:02 pm
  • First post here but if it’s drugs again the dude is a ******* moron. Jesus Christ
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Welcome to the forum, no F-bombs in the main forums please. That word is only allowed in the smack shack and politics forum.
    HellaciousSloth
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:08 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    Dallashawksfan wrote:Wilson has enough good receivers.

Metcalf is one of the best WRs in the NFL and is 4th in the whole league in receiving yards despite having considerably less targets than the top guys. He embarrassed Gilmore who is considered by some to be the best corner in the game and is the reigning DPOY. You are selling DK WAY short

Metcalf has amazing speed and a QB who can throw a great deep ball. I'm not denying that. DK will be successful with his speed and size alone. In many ways he's like a young Tyreek Hill, but obviously taller. His physical gifts get him far.

But that misses the point, which is that he's not a polished route runner yet. Part of that is the fact that he's not as fluid, which is why he fell in the draft. I love DK, but a large part of his success is the time him and Russ spend together after games, and in the offseason. He still has a ways to go
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information