Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Carson Contract

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Chris Carson Contract
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 pm
  • This team is 8-2 with Chris and 2-2 without him. Things went south when he was hurt. He brings a dynamic to this team you really can't over state. His downhill power running works perfectly with Pete's style of football. And don't forget he was injured in the playoffs last year, another reason to be excited we will make a deeper run.

But with him becoming an unrestricted free agent next year, what is the price we are willing to pay for the guy? He's going to be expensive and we are strapped on cap room. We are going to need to resign Adams at some point. Shaq will also be a free agent next year. Who's the most important signing? I think Carson is more important than Shaq but he will command a higher price. There isn't enough money to go around, and this is going to be a big problem because of draft capital!
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: Chris Carson Contract
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:25 pm
  • Franchise tag will lock him in place.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm
  • Elemas wrote:Franchise tag will lock him in place.

So that's 9 million in cap hit for a guy who is carrying a 2 mill cap hit this year. Not enough space to keep everybody we need. We may let him walk and go to the draft. Hope we keep him.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:17 pm
  • With the salary cap apparently going down next year, combined with the high number of FA RBs hitting the market in a few months, along with a seemingly larger league wide mentality of getting RBs in the draft, I’m thinking the Seahawks may be able to get Carson back on a fairly cheap but raise for him on a 2 year deal. Also at play is that in this his 4th season he has only finished 1 season out of 4 healthy.

I’d love to see them bring him back at a reasonable price.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm
  • 3 years $24 million. Incentive based. $12 million guaranteed.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:12 pm
  • The problem with Carson he is hurt all the time... if he was more durable he would be worth more... Hyde has a 1 year deal and penny is on the 3rd year of a 4 year deal... it will be interesting to see if the Hawks pay big money for Carson with Penny and Hyde right behind him...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:24 pm
  • There are ways to structure a contract that looks good on the money side and still maintains some protections for the team. Yes, given his injury history, it is easy to imagine incentives for him to be on the field as many games as possible. Throw in some percentage based incentives and structure the signing bonus right and it's pretty doable if Carson is at all reasonable.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:35 pm
  • The cap is going down for sure..
    We cannot afford him and his part time status
    due to health.
    No thanks ..We can find a decent rb for a lot less.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:36 pm
  • I’m basically in the camp now that you don’t pay RBs, unless it’s a generational type guy, and even most of them havnt been worth it in recent years.

If he wants to give us a deal; something that protects us if he gets hurt again, that’s fine. I’m just as good running with Penny and a draft pick next year.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:03 pm
  • There is an article on FGs right now that talks about this

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/12/23/2 ... transition

My thoughts are this; Chris Carson is the closest thing this team has had to Marshawn Lynch since he's left, powerful runner yet not as durable unfortunately-the team was incredibly spoiled with Lynch as he was pretty much equal to Wilson in his durability. I see the team franchise tagging him and letting someone like Shaq Griffin walk mainly due to the emergence of young talent in the secondary. There is no one IMO that comes close to Carson as far as RB depth on this team, I don't see it in Penny, Homer, Hyde OR Dallas
    Polk738
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:08 pm
  • Rat wrote:I’m basically in the camp now that you don’t pay RBs, unless it’s a generational type guy, and even most of them havnt been worth it in recent years.

If he wants to give us a deal; something that protects us if he gets hurt again, that’s fine. I’m just as good running with Penny and a draft pick next year.

I'm a CC fan, and he fits PC's offensive philosophy perfectly. But the fact is, that same philosophy is also extremely hard on any RB, even someone like Marshawn or CC.

I have to agree with "Rat", you don't give RB's huge contracts in today's NFL unless they're a top 2 or 3 RB in the league. And even that is a big risk. Look at someone like Ezekiel Elliott. He's only 25 and in his 5th year, and he's already showing signs of slowing down.

On the other hand, if CC wants to stay in Seattle bad enough and is willing to sign a very team-friendly contract with incentives, I would certainly be open to that.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:12 pm
  • We don't have the system for plug and play RB's They have to have a special mentality, then the body to make it happen.

We had Ware, Collins, Scarborough, all here, they had success after leaving but were available to come back here at one time or another.

So the mentality wasn't there for the Body when they were first here, Carson has the right mentality, he was coached up while still in college by Carroll telling him if he was a more physical back he could be a NFL prospect. He was in a passing system as well, why he can catch, pass block as good as he does.

Carson took the advice, teams over looked him because of the lack of physicality and his injured Junior year and low touches his senior year from being in a passing system.

Pete knew exactly what he was doing, he had a kid that wanted to play and was tough but just needed a nudge in the right direction, 7th rounder was an easy pick for them to make given they already had made contact with him at another time, he came in and took off. His injuries are the only downside and the two major ones were bad hits and d lineman twisting him in a pile.

The hip thing was the only other issue, I only but I think it could be a major thing for him at some point in life.

So getting a plug in guy isn't easy, Hyde isn't that guy, he is a serviceable replacement and a great back up, but short term, another season or two max I think, he does have mileage also and shoulder concerns.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:39 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:3 years $24 million. Incentive based. $12 million guaranteed.

This right here. He's easily worth 8 million per year with incentives, even if he only plays 10 - 15 games a year. Chris Carson gets wins, and keeps Russell Wilson healthy.

Pay da man.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:18 pm
  • Carson is a great running back, and one not easily replaceable. I don't think any of our backs, including Penny are capable of replacing his production. That being said paying the man is a mistake. He's suffered a lot of injuries, some very serious ones in his career. Paying a guy that has had as much mileage and injury history as Carson is a mistake. He could take a serious dive in his ability at any time.

I think we have to look towards drafting a player and FA.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Carson is a great running back, and one not easily replaceable. I don't think any of our backs, including Penny are capable of replacing his production. That being said paying the man is a mistake. He's suffered a lot of injuries, some very serious ones in his career. Paying a guy that has had as much mileage and injury history as Carson is a mistake. He could take a serious dive in his ability at any time.

I think we have to look towards drafting a player and FA.

First you have to search the personality, good team, bad team, passing, running, doesn't matter the guy has to be a angry beast in a running situation that will not be denied.

Then the body, 5'10" - 6'0 ideally, 225 to 245, would be nice to have a square base not narrow as well, better balance and crabbing ability without slowing, also seems like a bit of bow leggedness suits these guys well also, that extra ability to cut laterally and shake off arm tackles.

Then processing speed and running speed and football IQ, last thing is ability to learn and absorb information, Lynch and Carson seem to have that ability to see, process and move almost in an instant, Curt Warner had that in abundance as did Barry Sanders.

See that hole that's not there but will be in a second and he is through it defense is reaching but nothing there Hits the next layer and the animal comes out as he batters the next line of defense.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 pm
  • I'm not a believer in paying RB's but i love Chris Carson. I would probably offer him 2 years for 14 million and hope it's enough because teams will be straped. Outside of Derrick Henry i can't think of a better fit at RB for Seattle, just wish he could stay healthy.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:13 pm
  • Welshers wrote:This team is 8-2 with Chris and 2-2 without him. Things went south when he was hurt. He brings a dynamic to this team you really can't over state. His downhill power running works perfectly with Pete's style of football. And don't forget he was injured in the playoffs last year, another reason to be excited we will make a deeper run.

But with him becoming an unrestricted free agent next year, what is the price we are willing to pay for the guy? He's going to be expensive and we are strapped on cap room. We are going to need to resign Adams at some point. Shaq will also be a free agent next year. Who's the most important signing? I think Carson is more important than Shaq but he will command a higher price. There isn't enough money to go around, and this is going to be a big problem because of draft capital!

Yeah but it was not just him we lost, we lost his back up as well. So not sure the 2-2 without him is just about him. The bigger question is what will he want. He does not deserve top money, he has an injury history.

I think it will be about what kind of offense will they run. If they stay with the power run first pass 2nd then yeah. If they try to move to what we did games 1-5 then no. I guess we will see soon enough.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 pm
  • Here are the top 10 highest paid RB on average per year.

1) McCaffrey 16million
    2) Eilliot 15million
    3) Kamara 15million
    4) Bell 13.1 million
    5) Johnson 13million
    6) Cook 12.5million
    7) Henry 12.5million
    8) Mixon 12 million
    9) Drake 8.5million
    10) Gordon 8 million

I think Carson will want 12million per year. Seahawks probably wants 9million.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 pm
  • There's a half dozen teams that would pay over $9M a year. With the year it's been, teams don't have the same evaluation period as in the past as far as the draft goes.

Injury history or not, Carson's a RB that is hitting his prime.

Again, not surprised to see the Hawks tag him. Penny could be the #1 but, he'd need to show out again for that to happen. Even then, Penny's not your 4 yards a down back. I know what he averaged...read between the lines here.

No one...absolutely no one else on this roster can fill Carsons spot. If we drafted a RB, it's guaranteed to be in the later rounds and that pick will be even more "unproven" than recent years past.

I see a tag coming.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:08 pm
  • Elemas wrote:There's a half dozen teams that would pay over $9M a year. With the year it's been, teams don't have the same evaluation period as in the past as far as the draft goes.

Injury history or not, Carson's a RB that is hitting his prime.

Again, not surprised to see the Hawks tag him. Penny could be the #1 but, he'd need to show out again for that to happen. Even then, Penny's not your 4 yards a down back. I know what he averaged...read between the lines here.

No one...absolutely no one else on this roster can fill Carsons spot. If we drafted a RB, it's guaranteed to be in the later rounds and that pick will be even more "unproven" than recent years past.

I see a tag coming.

If they use the franchise tag on him they have to pay him the average of the top five salaries at his position. Based on a list of the top 10 RBs in this thread, that’s $14.1 million. They aren’t tagging him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not get much attention on the free agency market. Then again I could be wrong. If I was mostly right about these things I would have pursued a career in the NFL a long time ago.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:49 pm
  • No way they afford him

9 million for probably another 10 games next year

No thanks
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 pm
  • I dont see us tagging him but we will probably match. I think 11million.

I think it also depends on the playoffs and how he plays.

I think I like Russ and Carson more than Russ and Lockett or even Russ and Metcalf.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:19 pm
  • rcaido wrote:I dont see us tagging him but we will probably match. I think 11million.

I think it also depends on the playoffs and how he plays.

I think I like Russ and Carson more than Russ and Lockett or even Russ and Metcalf.

As great a RB as CC is, and as perfect a fit he is for this team, paying him 11 million would be a huge mistake for multiple reasons.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:02 pm
  • Did we get Hyde on a one year deal, or two?
    Although we only had an abbreviated look, I thought 'Scarbro' turned in a very good Carson impersonation.
    I would prefer to keep Carson, but I don't believe in credit spending.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:Did we get Hyde on a one year deal, or two?
    Although we only had an abbreviated look, I thought 'Scarbro' turned in a very good Carson impersonation.
    I would prefer to keep Carson, but I don't believe in credit spending.

Yes, Hyde is on a 1-year deal. I would be open to resigning him for 2021 for a similar type of deal if he was open to it. Not as the feature back in place of Carson, but he's a solid backup.

I'm really curious how Penny would do as the featured back. I don't think anyone really knows what we have in him including the coaching staff. His opportunities have been very limited since he was drafted. But Pete would have to learn how to use him properly as he's not a CC type of back. Adjustments would need to be made. But I would sure like to see them take advantage of the draft capital they spent on him. Or at the very least, let's see what's he got. He's shown flashes of brilliance in a limited role, but has never had the opportunity to get into any type of rhythm.

He's only got one more year on his rookie deal, and if they were to let him walk after next year without even knowing what they have in him, I think that would be a mistake.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:07 pm
  • Why do we have to make a decision when he is just coming back from another injury? I say, "Let's see how he performs in the next five games." Let his legs do the talking!!! :stirthepot:
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:09 pm
  • I didn't realize the average was that high. That being the case, I don't see a tag coming.

Hope we get him back!!
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:33 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    Elemas wrote:Franchise tag will lock him in place.

So that's 9 million in cap hit for a guy who is carrying a 2 mill cap hit this year. Not enough space to keep everybody we need. We may let him walk and go to the draft. Hope we keep him.

Imagine the Seahawks thinking 9M was too much for Carson after paying Olsen 7M. That'd be insane.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:47 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Welshers wrote:

Imagine the Seahawks thinking 9M was too much for Carson after paying Olsen 7M. That'd be insane.

Imagine compounding one bad decision with another one
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:49 pm
  • misfit wrote:Imagine compounding one bad decision with another one

Imagine actually believing 1 year 9M is too much for Carson.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:13 pm
  • massari wrote:
    misfit wrote:Imagine compounding one bad decision with another one

Imagine actually believing 1 year 9M is too much for Carson.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Curious how you find 9 million for an unreliable RB in this cap situation we gonna be in next season
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:19 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Welshers wrote:

Terrible signing! I thought it was 8 million?

We need 3 very good backs. Look at last years playoffs. We would have made the NFCCG if we would have had 2 of these 3, Penny, Carson, Hyde.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:22 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Welshers wrote:

Luckily Olsen is out of that contract next year. It is not inconceivable we could use that free cap space to hold down Chris or Shaq.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:06 pm
  • I didn't like the Olsen signing from the start. That's way too much.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:36 am
  • misfit wrote:Curious how you find 9 million for an unreliable RB in this cap situation we gonna be in next season

Neither of us are going to spend the time it takes to do this, and it's impossible to predict how much a free agent will actually get in order to do this, but what I do think is he's no doubt worth 1 year 9M to this offense.

Some Free Agents in 2021 and their cap hits from 2020
    Olsen 7M
    Wright 10M
    Mayowa 3M
    Irvin 6M
    Hyde 3M
    Dunbar 3.4M
    Hollister 3.3M
    Ogbuehi 2.5M

Also $13M in Dead cap coming off the books at the moment.

Looking on Spotrac, I thought Jarran Reed could be cut with no dead money, which would open up an extra $13.5M, but on OTC it says $5M in dead money. Whatever the case, cutting Reed would open a lot of money.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:37 am
  • massari wrote:
    misfit wrote:Curious how you find 9 million for an unreliable RB in this cap situation we gonna be in next season

Neither of us are going to spend the time it takes to do this, and it's impossible to predict how much a free agent will actually get in order to do this, but what I do think is he's no doubt worth 1 year 9M to this offense.

Olsen 7M
    Wright 10M
    Mayowa 3M
    Irvin 6M
    Hyde 3M
    Dunbar 3.4M
    Hollister 3.3M
    Ogbuehi 2.5M

Looking on Spotrac, I thought Jarran Reed could be cut with no dead money, which would open up an extra $13.5M, but on OTC it says $5M in dead money. Whatever the case, cutting Reed would open a lot of money.

Good job on list. I dont see any of these guys resigning except for possibly wright and Hollister. The rest can go and be replaced by players in fa or draft. None of them were meant to be long term. Plenty of room for Carson. Who deemed unreliable apparently...not sure how. He will be back next year.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:51 am
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:
    massari wrote:
    misfit wrote:Curious how you find 9 million for an unreliable RB in this cap situation we gonna be in next season

Olsen 7M
    Wright 10M
    Mayowa 3M
    Irvin 6M
    Hyde 3M
    Dunbar 3.4M
    Hollister 3.3M
    Ogbuehi 2.5M

Good job on list. I dont see any of these guys resigning except for possibly wright and Hollister. The rest can go and be replaced by players in fa or draft. None of them were meant to be long term. Plenty of room for Carson. Who deemed unreliable apparently...not sure how. He will be back next year.

I disagree somewhat. I think that Ogbuehi comes back. He's proven to be useful. I think Mayowa will be back, too. He's been coming into his own. Neither of those guys will break the bank and both have been good football players.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 am
  • They have to find a way to resign him we don't have much draft capital to work with so replacing him in the draft becomes more difficult. They have to find a way to resign Adams as well . Penny certainly has talent and if he puts in the work he might be able to replace Carson but he hasn't started a full season yet so it's a risk if that's the route they decide to go in , So like i said they need to find a way to resign him..
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:00 pm
  • I see Dunlap as a 14 mill too maybe money can be freed up, but you got other issues such as pass rush, I just dont see it epecially with all the positions to pay. We need to get away from the old mentality of paying a back big money I think its going to hamstring our team. And whats going to happen after this season?

I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal

also looking at this years contract of guys who is going to be free agents doesnt free up money. I see the Reed thing and that could free up some money, but thats another hole at DT which is already a glaring issue for this team. I know Reed is underperformed, but I think DT is a much bigger issue than RB right now. I think they may rely on the other backs. Its unfortunate that penny is so fragile and Dallas has not panned out. I understand that none of them carry the physical identity that Pete craves in Carson. I believe a finesse kamara-esque back would fit this personnel better but Pete is never going to allow an offense like that anyway. oh well
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:45 am
  • misfit wrote:I see Dunlap as a 14 mill too maybe money can be freed upl

If somebody like Everson Griffen can be signed for 6M like he was this season, maybe it might be worth opening up that 14M if they need it, because that'd be like choosing Everson Griffen and Carson over Dunlap.

Two stud players are better than one.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 am
  • When the cap hit numbers come out for next year, we are going to be losing several popular players on this team. There also will need to be multiple players with large contracts making significant restructures just to make the numbers work. So while it's nice to assume we can keep Carson, I just don't see it. That position is the one we can spend money on at all.

I mean we could easily be looking at a $30-35M cap cut in just a few months.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 am
  • misfit wrote:I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal

It's not about what Carson WANTS to take, it's what he has to take.

Do you honestly see Carson getting a monster free agent deal elsewhere? With all the RB contract busts of the past 10 years like Bell and Gurley that blew up in the team's face, I highly doubt an often injured RB like Carson is going to find a monster contract on the FA market.

RB's are now taking more fully guaranteed short term deals, and IMO that's what we'll sign Carson to. Pete loves him, so my guess is he'll get a short two year deal with most of the 1st year fully guaranteed.

We still need Carson, I'm not ready to hand over the bell cow 20+ carriers a game one of the most important positions in our offense to Penny just yet.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    misfit wrote:I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal

Do you honestly see Carson getting a monster free agent deal elsewhere? With all the RB contract busts of the past 10 years like Bell and Gurley that blew up in the team's face, I highly doubt an often injured RB like Carson is going to find a monster contract on the FA market.

RB's are now taking more fully guaranteed short term deals, and IMO that's what we'll sign Carson to. Pete loves him, so my guess is he'll get a short two year deal with most of the 1st year fully guaranteed.

We still need Carson, I'm not ready to hand over the bell cow 20+ carriers a game one of the most important positions in our offense to Penny just yet.

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.

As for Dunlap, there's no way that the Seahawks are signing him for 14M a year., and I don't think he'll be asking for that much either. His current deal, is his prime years deal, so his next contract won't top that in terms of years or money. He's already not an every down DL, and his snap-count will be diminishing even more in the coming years. I think both he, and Adams will try and work out something that will work for the Seahawks, as they both love their new homes. This is great, as fans we can look forward to more of this new core for the fore-see-able future :2thumbs:
    Last edited by TypeSly on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Well said. If i'm Seattle, I offer Carson a 2 or 3 year deal around the 7 to 8 million range with incentives. Lets be real, the guy is hurt every year and i'm not sure other teams would really want him due to that.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:41 am
  • TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.:

I just explained it, because RB's are not on the same value level as other position groups anymore, and there's recent examples of team's regretting giving their top 10 RB's long term deals (Gurley and Bell).

Carson's yet to play a full season, he's always injured, so if you think another teams going to give him a monster long term deal? I have no idea where you'd get that precedent from.

Carson's also very unique to our style of offense, which is not run by 75% of other teams. So you have to factor that into the equation as well. Why would another team want to give an often injured RB like Carson a long term deal in a role that's diminished within their offense.

I think you guys are overvaluing Carson's worth. Yes he's still important in OUR offense, but on the open market? I just don't see it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.:

I just explained it, because RB's are not on the same value level as other position groups anymore, and there's recent examples of team's regretting giving their top 10 RB's long term deals (Gurley and Bell).

Carson's yet to play a full season, he's always injured, so if you think another teams going to give him a monster long term deal? I have no idea where you'd get that precedent from.

Carson's also very unique to our style of offense, which is not run by 75% of other teams. So you have to factor that into the equation as well. Why would another team want to give an often injured RB like Carson a long term deal in a role that's diminished within their offense.

I think you guys are overvaluing Carson's worth. Yes he's still important in OUR offense, but on the open market? I just don't see it.

No, I don't think any team is going to give him a monster long term deal... but that doesn't mean it has to be a one year deal either. I think the Seahawks will sign him to a multi year deal (2-3 years) like any other team would. As for the money, it isn't going to be "monster" from the Seahawks or any other team.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:56 am
  • TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

No, I don't think any team is going to give him a monster long term deal... but that doesn't mean it has to be a one year deal either. I think the Seahawks will sign him to a multi year deal (2-3 years) like any other team would. As for the money, it isn't going to be "monster" from the Seahawks or any other team.

I said short two year deal, so not sure why you quoted me and highlighted "who says he has to take a one year deal."

Yes, two years with most of the first year fully guaranteed at around 10M and an incentive laden 2nd year where he has to stay mostly healthy? If I had to guess.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:

I said short two year deal, so not sure why you quoted me and highlighted "who says he has to take a one year deal."

Yes, two years with most of the first year fully guaranteed at around 10M and an incentive laden 2nd year where he has to stay mostly healthy? If I had to guess.

Misfit's quote "I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal"

When your reply is "It's not about what Carson WANTS to take, it's what he has to take." it sure sounds like you're disagreeing and saying but he has no choice. If I have it wrong, then I apologize.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:35 pm
  • If it's about what he has to take let's "make" him take a 1 year 5 million dollar deal
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:42 pm
  • Due to the unknowns of this year and next year, I would presume a 2 year deal would probably be where they would go and see from that point where everything sets. That is with the covid protocols, fan protocols, and practice protocols proceeding as they did somewhat this year. Doc psycho seems to think this will go on for another year which will stunt the growth of the next season and a few more seasons. So I would think a 2 year deal is probably best in this situation.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information