Chris Carson Contract

W

Welshers

This team is 8-2 with Chris and 2-2 without him. Things went south when he was hurt. He brings a dynamic to this team you really can't over state. His downhill power running works perfectly with Pete's style of football. And don't forget he was injured in the playoffs last year, another reason to be excited we will make a deeper run.

But with him becoming an unrestricted free agent next year, what is the price we are willing to pay for the guy? He's going to be expensive and we are strapped on cap room. We are going to need to resign Adams at some point. Shaq will also be a free agent next year. Who's the most important signing? I think Carson is more important than Shaq but he will command a higher price. There isn't enough money to go around, and this is going to be a big problem because of draft capital!

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Elemas":2xsx5ubv said:
Franchise tag will lock him in place.
So that's 9 million in cap hit for a guy who is carrying a 2 mill cap hit this year. Not enough space to keep everybody we need. We may let him walk and go to the draft. Hope we keep him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With the salary cap apparently going down next year, combined with the high number of FA RBs hitting the market in a few months, along with a seemingly larger league wide mentality of getting RBs in the draft, I’m thinking the Seahawks may be able to get Carson back on a fairly cheap but raise for him on a 2 year deal. Also at play is that in this his 4th season he has only finished 1 season out of 4 healthy.

I’d love to see them bring him back at a reasonable price.

LTH

Reaction score
The problem with Carson he is hurt all the time... if he was more durable he would be worth more... Hyde has a 1 year deal and penny is on the 3rd year of a 4 year deal... it will be interesting to see if the Hawks pay big money for Carson with Penny and Hyde right behind him...

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
There are ways to structure a contract that looks good on the money side and still maintains some protections for the team. Yes, given his injury history, it is easy to imagine incentives for him to be on the field as many games as possible. Throw in some percentage based incentives and structure the signing bonus right and it's pretty doable if Carson is at all reasonable.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The cap is going down for sure..
We cannot afford him and his part time status
due to health.
No thanks ..We can find a decent rb for a lot less.

Rat

Reaction score
I’m basically in the camp now that you don’t pay RBs, unless it’s a generational type guy, and even most of them havnt been worth it in recent years.

If he wants to give us a deal; something that protects us if he gets hurt again, that’s fine. I’m just as good running with Penny and a draft pick next year.

Polk738

Reaction score
There is an article on FGs right now that talks about this

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/12/23/2 ... transition

My thoughts are this; Chris Carson is the closest thing this team has had to Marshawn Lynch since he's left, powerful runner yet not as durable unfortunately-the team was incredibly spoiled with Lynch as he was pretty much equal to Wilson in his durability. I see the team franchise tagging him and letting someone like Shaq Griffin walk mainly due to the emergence of young talent in the secondary. There is no one IMO that comes close to Carson as far as RB depth on this team, I don't see it in Penny, Homer, Hyde OR Dallas

TraderGary

Reaction score
Rat":1jekqo58 said:
I’m basically in the camp now that you don’t pay RBs, unless it’s a generational type guy, and even most of them havnt been worth it in recent years.

If he wants to give us a deal; something that protects us if he gets hurt again, that’s fine. I’m just as good running with Penny and a draft pick next year.
I'm a CC fan, and he fits PC's offensive philosophy perfectly. But the fact is, that same philosophy is also extremely hard on any RB, even someone like Marshawn or CC.

I have to agree with "Rat", you don't give RB's huge contracts in today's NFL unless they're a top 2 or 3 RB in the league. And even that is a big risk. Look at someone like Ezekiel Elliott. He's only 25 and in his 5th year, and he's already showing signs of slowing down.

On the other hand, if CC wants to stay in Seattle bad enough and is willing to sign a very team-friendly contract with incentives, I would certainly be open to that.

chris98251

Reaction score
We don't have the system for plug and play RB's They have to have a special mentality, then the body to make it happen.

We had Ware, Collins, Scarborough, all here, they had success after leaving but were available to come back here at one time or another.

So the mentality wasn't there for the Body when they were first here, Carson has the right mentality, he was coached up while still in college by Carroll telling him if he was a more physical back he could be a NFL prospect. He was in a passing system as well, why he can catch, pass block as good as he does.

Carson took the advice, teams over looked him because of the lack of physicality and his injured Junior year and low touches his senior year from being in a passing system.

Pete knew exactly what he was doing, he had a kid that wanted to play and was tough but just needed a nudge in the right direction, 7th rounder was an easy pick for them to make given they already had made contact with him at another time, he came in and took off. His injuries are the only downside and the two major ones were bad hits and d lineman twisting him in a pile.

The hip thing was the only other issue, I only but I think it could be a major thing for him at some point in life.

So getting a plug in guy isn't easy, Hyde isn't that guy, he is a serviceable replacement and a great back up, but short term, another season or two max I think, he does have mileage also and shoulder concerns.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1jf4x2v7 said:
3 years $24 million. Incentive based. $12 million guaranteed.

This right here. He's easily worth 8 million per year with incentives, even if he only plays 10 - 15 games a year. Chris Carson gets wins, and keeps Russell Wilson healthy.

Pay da man.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carson is a great running back, and one not easily replaceable. I don't think any of our backs, including Penny are capable of replacing his production. That being said paying the man is a mistake. He's suffered a lot of injuries, some very serious ones in his career. Paying a guy that has had as much mileage and injury history as Carson is a mistake. He could take a serious dive in his ability at any time.

I think we have to look towards drafting a player and FA.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2yt5i6em said:
Carson is a great running back, and one not easily replaceable. I don't think any of our backs, including Penny are capable of replacing his production. That being said paying the man is a mistake. He's suffered a lot of injuries, some very serious ones in his career. Paying a guy that has had as much mileage and injury history as Carson is a mistake. He could take a serious dive in his ability at any time.

I think we have to look towards drafting a player and FA.

First you have to search the personality, good team, bad team, passing, running, doesn't matter the guy has to be a angry beast in a running situation that will not be denied.

Then the body, 5'10" - 6'0 ideally, 225 to 245, would be nice to have a square base not narrow as well, better balance and crabbing ability without slowing, also seems like a bit of bow leggedness suits these guys well also, that extra ability to cut laterally and shake off arm tackles.

Then processing speed and running speed and football IQ, last thing is ability to learn and absorb information, Lynch and Carson seem to have that ability to see, process and move almost in an instant, Curt Warner had that in abundance as did Barry Sanders.

See that hole that's not there but will be in a second and he is through it defense is reaching but nothing there Hits the next layer and the animal comes out as he batters the next line of defense.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm not a believer in paying RB's but i love Chris Carson. I would probably offer him 2 years for 14 million and hope it's enough because teams will be straped. Outside of Derrick Henry i can't think of a better fit at RB for Seattle, just wish he could stay healthy.

John63

Reaction score
Welshers":8z5zm5w8 said:
This team is 8-2 with Chris and 2-2 without him. Things went south when he was hurt. He brings a dynamic to this team you really can't over state. His downhill power running works perfectly with Pete's style of football. And don't forget he was injured in the playoffs last year, another reason to be excited we will make a deeper run.

But with him becoming an unrestricted free agent next year, what is the price we are willing to pay for the guy? He's going to be expensive and we are strapped on cap room. We are going to need to resign Adams at some point. Shaq will also be a free agent next year. Who's the most important signing? I think Carson is more important than Shaq but he will command a higher price. There isn't enough money to go around, and this is going to be a big problem because of draft capital!

Yeah but it was not just him we lost, we lost his back up as well. So not sure the 2-2 without him is just about him. The bigger question is what will he want. He does not deserve top money, he has an injury history.

I think it will be about what kind of offense will they run. If they stay with the power run first pass 2nd then yeah. If they try to move to what we did games 1-5 then no. I guess we will see soon enough.

rcaido

Reaction score
Here are the top 10 highest paid RB on average per year.

1) McCaffrey 16million
2) Eilliot 15million
3) Kamara 15million
4) Bell 13.1 million
5) Johnson 13million
6) Cook 12.5million
7) Henry 12.5million
8) Mixon 12 million
9) Drake 8.5million
10) Gordon 8 million

I think Carson will want 12million per year. Seahawks probably wants 9million.

Elemas

Reaction score
There's a half dozen teams that would pay over $9M a year. With the year it's been, teams don't have the same evaluation period as in the past as far as the draft goes.

Injury history or not, Carson's a RB that is hitting his prime.

Again, not surprised to see the Hawks tag him. Penny could be the #1 but, he'd need to show out again for that to happen. Even then, Penny's not your 4 yards a down back. I know what he averaged...read between the lines here.

No one...absolutely no one else on this roster can fill Carsons spot. If we drafted a RB, it's guaranteed to be in the later rounds and that pick will be even more "unproven" than recent years past.

I see a tag coming.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Elemas":3d2zf6jj said:
There's a half dozen teams that would pay over $9M a year. With the year it's been, teams don't have the same evaluation period as in the past as far as the draft goes.

Injury history or not, Carson's a RB that is hitting his prime.

Again, not surprised to see the Hawks tag him. Penny could be the #1 but, he'd need to show out again for that to happen. Even then, Penny's not your 4 yards a down back. I know what he averaged...read between the lines here.

No one...absolutely no one else on this roster can fill Carsons spot. If we drafted a RB, it's guaranteed to be in the later rounds and that pick will be even more "unproven" than recent years past.

I see a tag coming.

If they use the franchise tag on him they have to pay him the average of the top five salaries at his position. Based on a list of the top 10 RBs in this thread, that’s $14.1 million. They aren’t tagging him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not get much attention on the free agency market. Then again I could be wrong. If I was mostly right about these things I would have pursued a career in the NFL a long time ago.