Pro Bowl and Seahawks GOAT by postilion.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
With the Pro Bowl announcements it got me thinking to who is the Seahawks GOAT at each position? TE, Kicker, LS were really hard to find and decide. Lot's of TE's over the years, none that were dominant year after year.

This year's Pro Bowl: Wilson, Wagner, Adams, Diggs, Metcalf,
Bellore, Ott

Here is my list, who have I missed?

WR Steve Largent
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE John Carlson
WR DK Metcalf
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Shawn Alexander
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Lofa Tatupu
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Tyler Lockett
KR Leon Washington

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Pretty good list, and worthy of discussion.

Warner at RB, maybe, over SA.
I'd put TE Miller over Carlson
If Jason Myers continues his fantastic K stats, he may make this list.
Lewis at right guard will hopefully have the kind of career that replaces Chris Gray.

Boohman14

Reaction score
WR Steve Largent......Undisputed
T Walter Jones....Undisputed
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger....Consider Blair Bush
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE John Carlson......Mike Tice,
WR DK Metcalf..Too soon but Dang! What an upside!
WR Doug Baldwin....Undisputed
QB Russell Wilson
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Shawn Alexander....FB Mack Strong/Dan Dornick

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy...Undisputed
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Lofa Tatupu... Consider Chad Brown...Consider Michael Jackson
CB Richard Sherman..undisputed
CB Marcus Trufant..Consider Dave Brown All he did was make plays.
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson..Steven Houska was big when it mattered.
P Michael Dickson too soon but another awesome talent. Jon Ryan came up big quite often. I'll go with Ryan.
LS JP Darche
PR Tyler Lockett He may have benefited from a higher number of attempts due to the defenses he played with.
KR Leon Washington

This is a great list though. I'd think players like Jeff Bryant, Rufus Porter, Avril and Bennett deserve a place. Considering the NFL rules favoring offense I cannot dispute any LOB play on the list.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
C - Robbie Tobeck
G - Kevin Mawae (but Chris Gray is a solid choice)
RB - Curt Warner over Alexander
FB - Mack Strong
LB - Chad Brown (but hard to argue with your choices)
WR - Engram or Blades (DK is only in year 2...but he will be on this list SOON)

Boohman14

Reaction score
RockinHawks":hckw5akv said:
C - Robbie Tobeck
G - Kevin Mawae (but Chris Gray is a solid choice)
RB - Curt Warner over Alexander
FB - Mack Strong
LB - Chad Brown (but hard to argue with your choices)
WR - Engram or Blades (DK is only in year 2...but he will be on this list SOON)

Yeah I like Blades aka Mr. Seahawk! And Tobeck. But I loved Blair Bushs' toughness.

It's hard to compare eras though. The rules have changed so much over the past 40 years.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
FB Strong / John L. Williams...Can't decide. Strong was excellent but John L. was far more fun to watch and very productive.

Erebus

Reaction score
MO Hawk":2sxx5wsn said:
With the Pro Bowl announcements it got me thinking to who is the Seahawks GOAT at each position? TE, Kicker, LS were really hard to find and decide. Lot's of TE's over the years, not that were dominant year after year.

This year's Pro Bowl: Wilson, Wagner, Adams, Diggs, Metcalf,
Bellore, Ott

Here is my list, who have I missed?

WR Steve Largent
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE John Carlson
WR DK Metcalf
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Shawn Alexander

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Lofa Tatupu
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Tyler Lockett
KR Leon Washington

I would argue for Chad Brown over Tatupu. Brown was better for longer, but also played OLB. Tatupu was a MLB, which we usually only have one of. And Wagner has that spot locked down.

I hope Damien Lewis supplants Chris Gray eventually.

At CB I'd go with Dave Brown over Marcus Trufant. But Trufant would definitely make the all-time team as CB depth.

At TE, I don't think Carlson did enough. Definitely not more than Zach Miller.

I don't remember much of Howard Ballard, but I'd put Duane Brown on that list at tackle, unless you're only looking for a pure right tackle.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Regardless of how some may feel about him, Jimmy Graham is objectively the answer at TE. Though I know personal lists tend to involve sentiment. But, strictly from an objective standpoint, no way John Carlson should be over Graham.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
I made a small edit to correct a typo and added FB (John L Williams for me) All the names mentioned here by other posters are legit and I considered most of those as well.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
The TE position is a tough one. No way Graham gets it, he was here a short time and didn't do much while in a Hawks uniform. But man...Itula Mili was a rock-solid TE, and did so after a MAJOR knee injury in college.

Carlson is definitely underrated, I forget he was here for as long as he was...people forget about Mike Tice, he was a do it all TE back in the day, was tough. However, Itula Mili was a solid TE for a good long while, always stuck at the position, caught big first downs, and has solid numbers for an all-time Hawks TE.

Itula Mili.

WR - Darrell Jackson is a good choice, some great memories of him, but Blades and Engram were so consistent...and I wish Blades had a longer career.

My childhood was ALL about Largent, Warner and John L. Williams. That being said, Mack Strong at FB was the DEFENITION of the position, and always did what he was asked, whether hurt or not...that dude was a S.T.U.D.

Love the Dave Brown choice at CB...

KinesProf

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2ie0txs4 said:
The TE position is a tough one. No way Graham gets it, he was here a short time and didn't do much while in a Hawks uniform. But man...Itula Mili was a rock-solid TE, and did so after a MAJOR knee injury in college.

Carlson is definitely underrated, I forget he was here for as long as he was...people forget about Mike Tice, he was a do it all TE back in the day, was tough. However, Itula Mili was a solid TE for a good long while, always stuck at the position, caught big first downs, and has solid numbers for an all-time Hawks TE.

Itula Mili.

Objectively, on a blind resume, the TE position isn't that tough.

Jimmy: 2048 yards, 12 ypc, 18 tds, 2 Pro Bowls as a Seahawk
Carlson: 1519 yards, 11.1 ypc, 13 tds, of course not a Pro Bowl caliber player
Mili: 1743 yards, 10.6 ypc, 13 tds , of course not a Pro Bowl caliber player. Those underwhelming stats were compiled over 10 seasons.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Julian Peterson
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

So I made a few changes here, the most controversial would probably be Julian Peterson at the last OLB spot. Tatupu played ILB, not outside. Even though Julian Peterson only played here a few years he was a pro bowler each of those years. Even though the system called him to play a ton in coverage he racked up the sacks and QB hits.

The second change was swapping out Lockett. While he does have the most punt return yards, he also has the most volume. His body of work was also unimpressive when compared to Nate Burleson and Joey Galloway. Burleson and Galloway both averaged almost 3 more yards per return, and had more TDs on punt returns than Lockett. Galloway had 4 TDs and Burleson had two.

I decided to forego Brian Blades in favor of Darrell Jackson and Doug Baldwin. Jackson had better overall single seasons and had more TDs than Blades and a higher Y/A. Baldwin had more TDs and a higher Y/A. Each of these players were about 1000 yards off Blades total yardage -- but he also played for the Seahawks for many more years than Jackson and Baldwin. I left off Engram because his numbers trailed both Jackson and Baldwin.

The only TE that deserves to be on here is Jimmy Graham, he far and away has the best stats for TE's. He may have gotten flack here, but he was unquestionably the best TE we've ever had, he also sustained his play for longer than anyone else we've had at that position.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1s5jiyzu said:
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Julian Peterson
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

So I made a few changes here, the most controversial would probably be Julian Peterson at the last OLB spot. Tatupu played ILB, not outside. Even though Julian Peterson only played here a few years he was a pro bowler each of those years. Even though the system called him to play a ton in coverage he racked up the sacks and QB hits.

The second change was swapping out Lockett. While he does have the most punt return yards, he also has the most volume. His body of work was also unimpressive when compared to Nate Burleson and Joey Galloway. Burleson and Galloway both averaged almost 3 more yards per return, and had more TDs on punt returns than Lockett. Galloway had 4 TDs and Burleson had two.

I decided to forego Brian Blades in favor of Darrell Jackson and Doug Baldwin. Jackson had better overall single seasons and had more TDs than Blades and a higher Y/A. Baldwin had more TDs and a higher Y/A. Each of these players were about 1000 yards off Blades total yardage -- but he also played for the Seahawks for many more years than Jackson and Baldwin. I left off Engram because his numbers trailed both Jackson and Baldwin.

The only TE that deserves to be on here is Jimmy Graham, he far and away has the best stats for TE's. He may have gotten flack here, but he was unquestionably the best TE we've ever had, he also sustained his play for longer than anyone else we've had at that position.

Wrong on Graham, he was a tall WR, never played like a real TE.

If your going to list TE's that were great that played here you have to list them as what they did at the position not stats as a receiver.

Tice, Fauria, both exceeded Graham as a TE but had less yards, they also played in a different system.

niveky

Reaction score
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Steve Hutchinson(poison pill sucked but i think a lot of people omit because of that just from a fan perspective)
T Walter Jones
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB Mack Strong

DE Michael Bennett
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Brandon Mebane(i always wished Marcus Tubbs could have stayed healthy..i felt like without the injuries he could have really been dominant)
DE Cliff Avril
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Chad Brown
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

Erebus

Reaction score
niveky":1vwpwxks said:
DE Michael Bennett
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Brandon Mebane(i always wished Marcus Tubbs could have stayed healthy..i felt like without the injuries he could have really been dominant)
DE Cliff Avril

Can't fault you for liking Mebane. He was good for a long time. But Joe Nash was great, and played even longer. He played 15 years, all for the Hawks, and managed to put up 47.5 sacks from the nose tackle position. That's more than twice Mebane's career total (18.5). The only reason he isn't well known anymore is because he played so long ago when Seattle was in South Alaska.