Since when do refs get to fix players mistakes?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If Reynolds wanted to give himself up he needed to stay down until the whistle is blown. He didn't. He got up dropped the ball and the Seahawks recovered and then the whistle was blown. You can't rewrite history and call a play dead that was never blown dead when he was untouched, regardless of his intent or lack of awareness.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2v52ar91 said:
If he wanted to give himself up he needed to stay down until the whistle is blown. He didn't. He got up dropped the ball and the Seahawks recovered and then the whistle was blown. You can't rewrite history and call a play dead that was never blown dead and he was untouched regardless of his intent or lack of awareness.

Exactly. He stood up, then put the ball down. if he was giving himself up, he would have made it clear, and stayed down. He thought he was touched, period.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Exactly. This (and a few other) call was such BS.

You play until they blow the whistle. If Reynolds would've got up and started running, could we argue that he gave himself up? Doubt it.

To give yourself up is to actually lay on the ground in the fetal position, not just place the ball on the ground. That was a fumble!

kidhawk

Reaction score
I said it in another forum but will repeat it here. The moment he purposely put the ball on the ground he gave himself up. The initial call by the refs of a fumble was wrong but corrected and rightly so to have given himself up. I’ve seen a similar call before but it’s been awhile. I’d expect to get the same call if it were us.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
In my eyes,he did the same thing as celebrating to early,dropping the ball before crossing the endzone. Fumble

JPatera76

Reaction score
kidhawk":285cd85g said:
I said it in another forum but will repeat it here. The moment he purposely put the ball on the ground he gave himself up. The initial call by the refs of a fumble was wrong but corrected and rightly so to have given himself up. I’ve seen a similar call before but it’s been awhile. I’d expect to get the same call if it were us.
He should have got in the ground with the ball.. he made by the rules a football move, when he got up and ran forward and then set it down. I’d agree if he stayed down or ran forward then got physically on the ground and stayed there.

nwHawk

Reaction score
BChawkfan":67r12y0c said:
In my eyes,he did the same thing as celebrating to early,dropping the ball before crossing the endzone. Fumble

Bingo

Torc

Reaction score
[urlTargetBlank][/urlTargetBlank]
JPatera76":ol46w96b said:
kidhawk":ol46w96b said:
He should have got in the ground with the ball.. he made by the rules a football move, when he got up and ran forward and then set it down. I’d agree if he stayed down or ran forward then got physically on the ground and stayed there.

This. He stood up and spun around like he was going for more yards (a football move), then put the ball down. He should either have stayed down until the whistle blew (curl up around the ball and that'll happen real fast), or knelt back down.

I do agree that we all knew his intent was to place the ball but you can't leave room for interpretation.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
BChawkfan":3ktx1y58 said:
Good example, a player may have intended to cross the goal line but in actuality he didn't. Doesn't mean the refs get to correct his mistake.
Reynolds either thought he was touched or the play had been called dead but neither happened. He hadn't given himself up by any rule I'm aware of. He has to stay down and let the refs call the play dead. No whistle was blown and he let go of the ball. Thats a fumble. A really dumb fumble but a fumble regardless.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The way I understand the rule, I thought it was the correct call. The runner gave himself up.

If anyone has the link to the rulebook section, with the verbiage, please share. I felt it was the correct call at the time, even if it wasn't textbook version of giving himself up.

We were good enough on this day to beat the Rams without needing help from the refs. It's been a while since we've actually outplayed the Rams, let's celebrate!

renofox

Reaction score
olyfan63":16vaddlu said:
If anyone has the link to the rulebook section, with the verbiage, please share.

Section 2 Dead Ball

Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

(e) when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance; or

Could be argued either way.

Legalese: "declares himself down by falling to the ground

Argument 1: He was falling to the ground because of the action required to make the catch, so he did not choose to fall to the ground. Therefore, the player took no action with the sole intention of giving himself up.

Argument 2: Before making the catch he had the intention of giving himself up. You cannot prove that this was not his intention.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
renofox":2my5y3tb said:
olyfan63":2my5y3tb said:
If anyone has the link to the rulebook section, with the verbiage, please share.

Section 2 Dead Ball

Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

(e) when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance; or

Could be argued either way.

Legalese: "declares himself down by falling to the ground

Argument 1: He was falling to the ground because of the action required to make the catch, so he did not choose to fall to the ground. Therefore, the player took no action with the sole intention of giving himself up.

Argument 2: Before making the catch he had the intention of giving himself up. You cannot prove that this was not his intention.
The officials did not declare the ball dead is the point. He needs to hold onto the ball unless and until the whistle has been blown. At no point did he give himself up so that the whistle would be blown. It was a mistake on his part but last time I checked its not the refs job to fix a players mistake.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
olyfan63":2z9gmjue said:
The way I understand the rule, I thought it was the correct call. The runner gave himself up.

If anyone has the link to the rulebook section, with the verbiage, please share. I felt it was the correct call at the time, even if it wasn't textbook version of giving himself up.

We were good enough on this day to beat the Rams without needing help from the refs. It's been a while since we've actually outplayed the Rams, let's celebrate!

Yeah, he wasn't making a football move and changed his mind, he didn't think he was touched. It was the right call.

renofox

Reaction score
Hypothetical: It's part of a designed trick play. Another Ram player picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Do the refs call that a dead ball?

chris98251

Reaction score
renofox":1byf6697 said:
Hypothetical: It's part of a designed trick play. Another Ram player picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

That is a trick play, fumblerooski .Usually happens with the Center and QB and they go one way and a RB or WR picks it up on the ground and runs the other.

JPatera76

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":2uadnhqc said:
olyfan63":2uadnhqc said:

Yeah, he wasn't making a football move and changed his mind, he didn't think he was touched. It was the right call.
By rule he made a football move. He rolled with the catch and then got up and took two steps.

He didn’t even get down with the ball when he set it down, he just literally set the ball down. That’s a fumble.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
renofox":8b0rnmfv said:

Exactly, had Reynolds or another player simply ran with that ball Reynolds would not have been ruled as having given himself up. Because he hadn't. But instead they fixed it because the Seahawks recovered that ball. Thats why every player on the field went after that ball.