Quick impressions of the game

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Good:

- The safety tandem of Diggs/Adams is finally cementing itself as one of the best in the league on field, and not just on paper. Diggs is a true ballhawk, notching his 5th interception of the year today. Adams is a freewheeling (record setting!) playmaker who can do it all - the posterchild of an extremely coveted archetype in today's NFL.

One play in particular stood out - The Adams dropped interception. Their timing and chemistry shows up. Adams gets in position to play the ball. I'll forgive the drop considering the health of his fingers. Diggs is in position a split second after the ball arrives to lay a hit on the receiver. That timing has been missing, and that sort of energy on the backend is what elevates a defense.

- Jordyn Brooks continues to show up in run support. He slices through traffic like he's a ball-carrier-seeking-missile and gets there quickly. He's a rare case where the college tape is translating directly to his play as a pro. He's a future cornerstone. KJ continues to play some of his best ever football in his 10th year, and Bobby is... well, Bobby. The linebacking core looks amazing.

- The defense is clearly playing with more energy. It feels different than it has the past few years, and I suspect that Adams and Dunlap are the catalysts. Two pros with star power and personality who are really bringing swagger to the D. The goal line stand on fourth down sticks out as the type of play where the new, next level defensive energy is on full display.

The Bad:

- The offensive woes continue. They're holding it together and doing just enough to keep the team victorious, but the rhythm is lacking and things are falling apart on third down. One is left to wonder whether they used up all their magic in the early part of the year.

- The offensive line had a poor day against the LA front. With Iupati and Shell not playing, the chemistry the starting line plays with takes a hit. They're more susceptible to cleverly-engineered pass rush from different spots and angles. One play stands out, a rush (sack) from LA #69. Pocic and Simmons (at LG) double team the interior rush and leave 69 free, and Simmons can't get back in time. That's a chemistry thing, and I hope Iupati is back soon. The line plays tighter football with him in.

- Carroll's challenge. I'm not sure what he was told regarding the fumble from above, but there was no angle which showed anything close to a clear Seattle recovery.. or any sort of Seattle recovery at all. Seemed like Goff got it right back. It was inconsequential, and I would've been fine with it in the first half due to the risk/reward involved and the general incompetence of officiating... but second half? I love Pete, but that could have come back to bite them.

Just quick impressions written on mobile. No research, just off the dome. Please point out anything I'm misremembering or any grammatical mistakes.

D

DomeHawk

Yes, the O didn't look sharp in the first half but give the other team some credit, that's a really good defense.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Y’know, I was super annoyed at Pete wasting that challenge on the goal line fumble, but just took a different perspective. Tactically, awful. But as a coach, admirable. Taken a certain way, he was backing up his D guys, disrespected all year, during a legendary goal line stand.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Maelstrom787":36cvibv4 said:
The Good:

- The safety tandem of Diggs/Adams is finally cementing itself as one of the best in the league on field, and not just on paper. Diggs is a true ballhawk, notching his 5th interception of the year today. Adams is a freewheeling (record setting!) playmaker who can do it all - the posterchild of an extremely coveted archetype in today's NFL.

One play in particular stood out - The Adams dropped interception. Their timing and chemistry shows up. Adams gets in position to play the ball. I'll forgive the drop considering the health of his fingers. Diggs is in position a split second after the ball arrives to lay a hit on the receiver. That timing has been missing, and that sort of energy on the backend is what elevates a defense.

- Jordyn Brooks continues to show up in run support. He slices through traffic like he's a ball-carrier-seeking-missile and gets there quickly. He's a rare case where the college tape is translating directly to his play as a pro. He's a future cornerstone. KJ continues to play some of his best ever football in his 10th year, and Bobby is... well, Bobby. The linebacking core looks amazing.

- The defense is clearly playing with more energy. It feels different than it has the past few years, and I suspect that Adams and Dunlap are the catalysts. Two pros with star power and personality who are really bringing swagger to the D. The goal line stand on fourth down sticks out as the type of play where the new, next level defensive energy is on full display.

The Bad:

- The offensive woes continue. They're holding it together and doing just enough to keep the team victorious, but the rhythm is lacking and things are falling apart on third down. One is left to wonder whether they used up all their magic in the early part of the year.

- The offensive line had a poor day against the LA front. With Iupati and Shell not playing, the chemistry the starting line plays with takes a hit. They're more susceptible to cleverly-engineered pass rush from different spots and angles. One play stands out, a rush (sack) from LA #69. Pocic and Simmons (at LG) double team the interior rush and leave 69 free, and Simmons can't get back in time. That's a chemistry thing, and I hope Iupati is back soon. The line plays tighter football with him in.

- Carroll's challenge. I'm not sure what he was told regarding the fumble from above, but there was no angle which showed anything close to a clear Seattle recovery.. or any sort of Seattle recovery at all. Seemed like Goff got it right back. It was inconsequential, and I would've been fine with it in the first half due to the risk/reward involved and the general incompetence of officiating... but second half? I love Pete, but that could have come back to bite them.

Just quick impressions written on mobile. No research, just off the dome. Please point out anything I'm misremembering or any grammatical mistakes.

A very astute analysis. I agree with everything you said. Bonus points for writing all of that on your phone. Holy Hell that may just be the worst thing I ever do (posting on .NET using my phone...Talk about a bull in a china shop).

Bruce said it best in regards to Pete's challenge:

Y’know, I was super annoyed at Pete wasting that challenge on the goal line fumble, but just took a different perspective. Tactically, awful. But as a coach, admirable. Taken a certain way, he was backing up his D guys, disrespected all year, during a legendary goal line stand.

It's so true. Tactically it really was terrible. It had 0.03% chance of being reversed. But being the leader? I get it. I think the players did too. Always ComPETE. We can laugh about it because it didn't cost us the game. Imagine if it had? <<<<shudder>>>>

I would add that I am very critical of Russell lately, and that's me, Mr. Russell Apologist. Fan Boy Extraordinaire. I always tend to gloss over the negatives because historically he's just soooo good. While I don't want to dwell on the less than desirables, especially with a great win, but his mannerisms, especially in the first half, really bothered me.

Dropping back and allowing the pressure to simply come to him without trying to escape. He does this body language thing in the pocket where he shrugs his shoulders anticipating contact even if it isn't there. I know we've all seen it. There was one play in particular where he ran up the middle when the pocket collapsed and he ended up making contact with a couple of our linemen and he immediately crumbled. No attempt to roll off the impact, just defeat.

Russell 2, 3 years ago turns that play into an ESPN highlight.

To his credit, he turned it around a bit in the second half. Started to get into a flow more, and started to look more like the Russell Wilson we all know and love. I know, we are spoiled. He's been so good for so long, but that's also why my expectations are so sky high. When he's "less" than I think he should be, it stands out to me like a sore Goff thumb.

Yes there is a real part of me that is butthurt over Russ never getting the MVP. Especially when he is completely capable of it nearly every year. The last two years he WAS the MVP...

For the first two months.

And here we are again, were he could have had it, but for whatever reason he let it slip away and we are looking yet again at the continued narrative likely that "Russell Wilson has yet to even garner ONE single vote for MVP".

But I digress. My point is that I look at Russ like a $500,000 exotic sports car I expect to run to perfection every time I get behind the wheel. So if there's a hiccup, a problem...I am upset. For the money, I expect nothing but high performance each and every time. Maybe that's just plain unrealistic, but it's how I feel.

In the end, I know I am being unreasonable. Even Brady and Rodgers have looked like hot garbage from time-to-time. Why should Wilson be immune to the same?

I just want this future Hall of Famer to deliver us back to the promised land, and I know he has it in him to do it in his career at least a couple more times.

I get it.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

LTH

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3tfwqnfz said:
The Good:

The Bad:

They just played one of the best Ds in the league... the Rams are going win win a lot of plays because they are a great D...

I just think the O was taking what the rams were giving them which wasnt much...im not worried at all about the O. they are not making the plays they were at the beginning of the year thats because defense's are playing them differently but what the hawks are not doing is forcing the big play...it seems like they are out of rhythm but i think they are playing well there just not perfect.. i like it when they are some what conservative it usually means they are effiecient... not turning the ball over...Make no mistake about it the way Russ is managing games is mvp football even though its not flashy at times... im perfectly happy where the Hawks are right now... yeah they can be better and i think they will beas things progress but this was a huge win! And the momentum from this win is going to propell this team.. no
major injuries.. i just dont see how it could have turned out much better than it did...even if it was 31 to 9 a win is a win as i see it

Lth

hinton

Reaction score
At first the challenge annoyed me too.

Looking back I think he was gonna call a TO anyway to get the defence lined up properly, rather than call a TO you may as well throw a challenge - same difference, with a slight chance of a turnover.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2ngrno33 said:

Yeah, that challenge annoyed me too, especially when he didnt challenge the spot when Kupp ran out of bounds which they gave them a first down and he was clearly short and it should have been fourth down. Its Pete though. I told my buddy it practically happens every week, and it does.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3kll500f said:
Maelstrom787":3kll500f said:

Yeah, that challenge annoyed me too, especially when he didnt challenge the spot when Kupp ran out of bounds which they gave them a first down and he was clearly short and it should have been fourth down. Its Pete though. I told my buddy it practically happens every week, and it does.

Think of it this way, maybe it allowed the D to set up and stop that 4th down.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
hinton":22434ahv said:

Looking back I think he was gonna call a TO anyway to get the defence lined up properly, rather than call a TO you may as well throw a challenge - same difference, with a slight chance of a turnover.

This is the only explanation that makes any sense of that challenge.

sutz

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":5maeykrj said:
hinton":5maeykrj said:

Mad Mike Martz used to do that all the time. When an opponent seems to have a good drive going, he would throw a challenge flag on weird plays that didn't really look like he would even win. Result? Defense gets a time out and a breather while they review the play and if he should actually win the challenge? Hey, free time out.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Pete did the challenge because he was going to call a time-out anyways, to give the defense a breather and to quickly go over what play they were going to run to stop them on 4th down. You could see all the key players on the sideline getting as much water as they could in, during that challenge.

Chapow

Reaction score
There's also a pretty good chance that a challenge is going to take longer than a timeout, giving the D a longer rest and more time to get everyone on the same page.

Don't get me wrong. I was also pretty irritated at the time because there was nothing that could have been remotely considered a clear recovery by the D, so there was zero chance to win that challenge, but in hindsight, if he was going to call a timeout anyway, might as well throw that challenge flag and give your team a longer rest.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3gpwigh3 said:
hinton":3gpwigh3 said:

I agree. This makes total sense.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Aros":2z6i5oxf said:
Maelstrom787":2z6i5oxf said:
The Good:

The Bad:

A very astute analysis. I agree with everything you said. Bonus points for writing all of that on your phone. Holy Hell that may just be the worst thing I ever do (posting on .NET using my phone...Talk about a bull in a china shop).

Bruce said it best in regards to Pete's challenge:

It's so true. Tactically it really was terrible. It had 0.03% chance of being reversed. But being the leader? I get it. I think the players did too. Always ComPETE. We can laugh about it because it didn't cost us the game. Imagine if it had? <<<<shudder>>>>

I would add that I am very critical of Russell lately, and that's me, Mr. Russell Apologist. Fan Boy Extraordinaire. I always tend to gloss over the negatives because historically he's just soooo good. While I don't want to dwell on the less than desirables, especially with a great win, but his mannerisms, especially in the first half, really bothered me.

Dropping back and allowing the pressure to simply come to him without trying to escape. He does this body language thing in the pocket where he shrugs his shoulders anticipating contact even if it isn't there. I know we've all seen it. There was one play in particular where he ran up the middle when the pocket collapsed and he ended up making contact with a couple of our linemen and he immediately crumbled. No attempt to roll off the impact, just defeat.

Russell 2, 3 years ago turns that play into an ESPN highlight.

To his credit, he turned it around a bit in the second half. Started to get into a flow more, and started to look more like the Russell Wilson we all know and love. I know, we are spoiled. He's been so good for so long, but that's also why my expectations are so sky high. When he's "less" than I think he should be, it stands out to me like a sore Goff thumb.

Yes there is a real part of me that is butthurt over Russ never getting the MVP. Especially when he is completely capable of it nearly every year. The last two years he WAS the MVP...

For the first two months.

And here we are again, were he could have had it, but for whatever reason he let it slip away and we are looking yet again at the continued narrative likely that "Russell Wilson has yet to even garner ONE single vote for MVP".

But I digress. My point is that I look at Russ like a $500,000 exotic sports car I expect to run to perfection every time I get behind the wheel. So if there's a hiccup, a problem...I am upset. For the money, I expect nothing but high performance each and every time. Maybe that's just plain unrealistic, but it's how I feel.

In the end, I know I am being unreasonable. Even Brady and Rodgers have looked like hot garbage from time-to-time. Why should Wilson be immune to the same?

I just want this future Hall of Famer to deliver us back to the promised land, and I know he has it in him to do it in his career at least a couple more times.

I get it.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Overall, I think you guys nail it. You always do.

I feel like there's something going on with this offense that is situated in the space between where we were the first 5 games of 2020, the perfect vision of where we want to be, and where we were last year. It's a ternary diagram, and depending on a number of factors, we fall somewhere different within it every week.

I feel like it's so obvious...yet I can't put words to it. We run the ball well, but not enough sometimes and in weird situations. I feel like CC is being under-utilized right now.

Russ seems to ALWAYS be fixated on the downfield knockout punch when the defense is giving him 5-10 yd check-downs often enough to take advantage of and be more efficient at moving the sticks. And then he takes a sack.

When we put it all together (maybe after Pete and Schotty gather their necessary "data")...we look unstoppable. The two TD drives in the 2nd half were fantastic, particularly the final drive playing against a great defense, playing for a divisional title.

That's nit-picky though. We know what we need to do to win games, and when our heads are in it, we win them.

This is a championship caliber team, no doubt. All three phases-

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1hj5ega0 said:
This is a championship caliber team, no doubt. All three phases-

I'd say the Hawks are one notch below GB, NO and the top of the AFC............mainly due to the offense not quite clicking enough to put up 30+ against those elite teams.

But doesn't mean we can't win playoff games like we won yesterday, punishing playmaking D, good special teams and opportunistic offense with Russell making just enough plays to get playoff games to the 4th quarter with a chance to win.

So while I like how we're rounding into the playoffs healthy and playing solid, I'm not sold that we're a championship caliber team just yet, but certainly can trend that way and be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Good points regarding the challenge and giving the D a breather and buying some time to make that legendary goal line stand.

Regarding 3rd down, one of the reasons the offense is struggling on third down, and did not struggle earlier during the season, is because they were converting on first and second down!

However, with Pete's renewed emphasis on protecting the football, and the protecting the QB from getting killed, it does put them in more 3rd down situations.

So on a scale of 1 to 10.

If "Pete Ball" (ball control, run the ball) is a #1, and "Let Russ Cook" (early passing downs, more explosives, higher chance turnovers) is a #10, they've dialed it back to a #4.

I think they need to dial it back UP to a 6-7 to be a more effective offense - depending on opponents' strengths/weaknesses of course.

Great secondary / pass rush? Lean towards Pete Ball.

Bad secondary / pass rush? Let Russ Cook again.

The question becomes, what types of defenses will we see in the playoffs?

Gio

Reaction score
My only concern or con of the game , was once again Russ's performance. I don't think he has a bad game, it's been like a month or more , that he's underperforming. I'm not trying to be the negative guy around , but i'm just writing what i see. First weeks of the season he was averaging 280-300 yards per game and 3-4 TDs. And the last 7 games he's averaging 200-220 yards per game , 2 TDs and 1 turnover per game. I hope he finds quickly , because in Playoffs we are going to face the best Ds. We may face again Rams in playoffs first game, their D is not a joke. Our D is being improved every game, but Russ...

Chapow

Reaction score
Aikman made a comment a halftime regarding Russ and his play in the first half, "His protection hasn't held up and there hasn't been anywhere to go with the ball".

Of course, that wasn't the case for every single offensive snap in the first half, but I thought it was a pretty fair comment and generally pretty accurate for the most part.

Not trying to absolve Russ of any blame for the poor first half performance by the offense, but he can't do it all by himself. Especially against the best D in the NFL. The rest of the offense needs to play better also.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gio":363wsaxu said:
My only concern or con of the game , was once again Russ's performance. I don't think he has a bad game, it's been like a month or more , that he's underperforming. I'm not trying to be the negative guy around , but i'm just writing what i see. First weeks of the season he was averaging 280-300 yards per game and 3-4 TDs. And the last 7 games he's averaging 200-220 yards per game , 2 TDs and 1 turnover per game. I hope he finds quickly , because in Playoffs we are going to face the best Ds. We may face again Rams in playoffs first game, their D is not a joke. Our D is being improved every game, but Russ...

But he drove the offense down and put the game away when he needed to making some great throws and playcalls.

So while I agree with you Russell hasn't been his best of late, he's making enough plays, and more importantly protecting the ball........something he wasn't doing mid season.

Again, are we up there with the top 3-4 teams in the league? Not sure, probably not. But in the playoffs it's more about health, good defense and timely offense, and we've got those things right now.

Gio

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hc99iy8 said:
Gio":1hc99iy8 said:

But he drove the offense down and put the game away when he needed to making some great throws and playcalls.

So while I agree with you Russell hasn't been his best of late, he's making enough plays, and more importantly protecting the ball........something he wasn't doing mid season.

Again, are we up there with the top 3-4 teams in the league? Not sure, probably not. But in the playoffs it's more about health, good defense and timely offense, and we've got those things right now.

True . Health is the most important thing and it's unbelievable that our D has been improved and they ll be ready to shine in the playoffs. As far as Russ he's one of the best QBs in the league , he will figure it out. I agree with you

Latest posts