Who was/is better Jamal Adams or Earl Thomas?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Earl didn't help himself on the way out, but he was truly great for so many years in Seattle. It's hard to compare apples to apples here, but I found myself wondering yesterday if Jamal is as good as Earl was at that stage in his career?

I also thought about how important a safety of that caliber is in Pete's defense, which is why he gave up so much to get Jamal.

So who is better, all things considered, Jamal or Earl?

AlciG

Reaction score
Totally different players, so very hard to compare. Earl is a Hawks all time great... and Jamal has a chance to be also

Rat

Reaction score
This is kind of like “Ed Reed or Polamalu?”. Both amazing but played much different games. I don’t think Earl ever had a sack, and Jamal will probably never hold onto an INT.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rat":q0bp0wpn said:
This is kind of like “Ed Reed or Polamalu?”. Both amazing but played much different games. I don’t think Earl ever had a sack, and Jamal will probably never hold onto an INT.
Solid point.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Rat":10sg6oey said:

Thomas never had a sack for the Seahawks but had two for the Ravens last year.

One thing I hope to see Adams have for the Seahawks: game saving goal line arm chops.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Neither. Ken Easley is the answer to best Seahawk safety.

But we’ve had some real good ones over the years. Daryl Johnson, Eugene Robinson, Earl, Kan, Adams.

I think safety and RB have been the strongest positions as fas as Seahawks legacy players are concerned.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":2me8cneu said:
I wonder if Earl had our current DC and Jamal had Earl's DC how things would have been different? We certainly play the safety position different now than in Earl's days. I think Jamal is faster and Earl is more of an instinctive player. Jamal is probably more athletic between the two.

I found myself wondering if I could have my choice between Earl or Jamal (in their prime), which one would I take? Probably Earl as he also made Sherman and Cam what they were, and maybe visa versa. Does Jamal make Diggs and Reed better players or are they still learning and playing together? I think in the playoffs, baring injury, or secondary will continue to get better. Also saw something predicting Jamal as captain on defense next year.

hawker84

Reaction score
Kenny Easely, Earl, Kam, Jamaal, Ugene Robinson. My top 5 safeties in that order... if we're just talkin strong safety, kam then Jamaal...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Adams will make his team mates play better.. and I think it's not Earl we should be comparing but rather Kam. Kam and Early complimented each other well.. as would I think Adams and Earl would.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Well.... 1st Off Earl was/is a free safety. Which then if your going to compare it would be, Quandre Diggs. And well duh? Lol Adams is supposed to be our strong safety.. which comparison there is Kam. None of which are the same. The only similarity is how Diggs can come in like a bullet at times. Like Earl.

next one? Who Was/is better Joey Galloway or Marshawn Lynch? Or Shaun Alexander and DK .. catching on yet? Or Duane Brown and Marcus Trufant.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Well, ET cost a high first-round pick.

JA cost McDougald, first-round picks in 2021 and 2022 and a third-round pick in 2021. So the FO paid a lot more for JA.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Don't forget that who they are playing with makes a big difference as well. Earl played with the Kam as the other safety, so that allows him to narrow his focus on his duties a lot more, knowing that Kam's got his end of the field on lock. Earl and Kam being the two safety's on the field, also made the corners so much better in Seattle than they might have been somewhere else. I'm sure it was much easier to be a corner in the LOB, knowing that receivers and just offences in general didn't want to go to the middle of the field on most passes. This is also why we never really had a bad corner during their (Earl and Kam's) tenure here in Seattle.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hoxrox":3ga67z9i said:
Well, ET cost a high first-round pick.

JA cost McDougald, first-round picks in 2021 and 2022 and a third-round pick in 2021. So the FO paid a lot more for JA.

Consider that the price of salaries in the NFL has "skyrocketed" since Earl Thomas.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2s28uadl said:
Apples and oranges.
ET is/was a FS, Adams a SS.
Maybe? Question: Was Bennett a DE, DT or NG? I think he was listed as a DE, but he lined up everywhere. Could we say comparing a DT to DE is apples and oranges? ILB and OLB? RCB, LCB and nickle? My point is they are somewhat interchangeable as needed and different coaches play FS and SS differently. If I understand right Jamal is used in a different way here than with the Jets?

Maybe a better question is, "who made the defense better overall between Jamal and Earl, if those were the only two choices"? Again apples and oranges due to different time period and coaches, be we were never the same when Earl left and now that Jamal is here we are starting to get our game back on D.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Earl was truly the captain of the defense. I haven't seen Adams own the defense like Earl did. Earl also had an innate sense of who needs help over top and was a ball-hawk. Earl never played on the line either.

It's good that Adams has lived up to some high standards.

CANADIAN_HAWK

Reaction score
Amazing Seahawks Strong Safeties

1. KENNY EASLEY (BEST EVER)
2. KAM CHANCELLOR
3. JAMAL ADAMS

olyfan63

Reaction score
JPatera76":29dcv1z4 said:
Grahamhawker":29dcv1z4 said:
JPatera76":29dcv1z4 said:
Duane Brown and Marcus Trufant.

Oh, come on now, LOL.
Hahahaha I had to hahaha, I laughed pretty hard when I typed it lol

Everybody knows Trufant was the better blocker. On INT returns.

Brown, however, is better in coverage. He covers rush DEs like a cheap suit. Excellent in coverage.