Congrats!

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I'll just piggyback off this thread. Congrats!

I think every player and coach played well enough to win yesterday for the Rams except one - I'll give you one guess as to who that player was...

When the NFL world said that we went all in, they were wrong. But in a way they were right: when we signed Goff, McVay was choosing to slowly let the supporting cast deteriorate as it does with all QBs when they sign. He was betting on Goff getting better, and that bet was essentially pushing all our chips in.

Goff needs an elite OL, an elite run game and an elite WR group to be successful - we put that together for 1 and 3/4 seasons and it got Goff this contract.

QB is at the top of my draft wishlist.

For as bad as Goff was, Seahawks defense definitely played a role in that. Seattle is definitely on the short list of teams that can win it all - I'll be rooting against it, naturally, but congrats on having a Super Bowl contender.

sutz

Reaction score
Helluva game your guys put up. About what we expected, no easy wins against the Rams.

Thanks for the classy responses. Probably see you guys in the playoffs. Hope Goff's hand is OK.

:irishdrinkers:

hinton

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3ppnj75k said:

I think every player and coach played well enough to win yesterday for the Rams except one - I'll give you one guess as to who that player was...

When the NFL world said that we went all in, they were wrong. But in a way they were right: when we signed Goff, McVay was choosing to slowly let the supporting cast deteriorate as it does with all QBs when they sign. He was betting on Goff getting better, and that bet was essentially pushing all our chips in.

Goff needs an elite OL, an elite run game and an elite WR group to be successful - we put that together for 1 and 3/4 seasons and it got Goff this contract.

For as bad as Goff was, Seahawks defense definitely played a role in that. Seattle is definitely on the short list of teams that can win it all - I'll be rooting against it, naturally, but congrats on having a Super Bowl contender.

Yeah Goff is holding that team back. I think McVay is a top-tier coach but I'm not sure what he saw in Goff to justify that contract, I think most people saw him as a low-ceiling QB, above average at best.

If the Rams can find the trade capital to get McVay a QB like Wentz, Ryan, Darnold, or maybe even Bridgewater next year then I think you guys will be a real SB contender for a couple of years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Goff broke his thumb and played through it, so I wouldn’t be too harsh on the guy. I do agree that he functions poorly without a strong OL. But yesterday he manned up and gave it his best with a broken hand.

That being said I could totally see Rams blowing up the QB position. They have a defense that could thrive with a QB on rookie deal and money to spend on OL and RB.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Ramfan128":2bsc34ai said:

You've been a solid contributor here most of the year Ramfan, and you've done that in a very commendable way. Hats off to you.
I'm one who thinks the Rams overachieved this year. They proved me wrong for picking them last in the division.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Mad Dog":10hyhij5 said:
Goff broke his thumb and played through it, so I wouldn’t be too harsh on the guy. I do agree that he functions poorly without a strong OL. But yesterday he manned up and gave it his best with a broken hand.

That being said I could totally see Rams blowing up the QB position. They have a defense that could thrive with a QB on rookie deal and money to spend on OL and RB.

His INT happened before the injury and is a huge reason we lost. He had 5 yards or so to run but instead he threw one of the worst passes I've ever seen.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Ramfan128":32n1jb7y said:
Mad Dog":32n1jb7y said:

His INT happened before the injury and is a huge reason we lost. He had 5 yards or so to run but instead he threw one of the worst passes I've ever seen.

Yes, I remember on that play he looked like he had a chance to get the 1st down and I was surprised that he was throwing the ball, but I did see a player down field that looked semi-open. To my surprise, he throws a dart right into the (I think it was a TE?) receiver's leg :mrgreen:

He also had a couple of questionable QB slides, well short of the marker where it looked like he could have gotten there. In such an important game, at such important points, you would think that he could give it that extra effort for his team, but he just wilts under pressure, especially when there's a threat of getting hit. I really think that the Rams have a power-house ship, but is definitely hindered by the person navigating it (Goff).

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2tt9079y said:
Mad Dog":2tt9079y said:

Rams defense has been so good all year. Hawks had to work and struggle for everything we got, and get some timely plays. Goff's injured thumb simply meant it would be harder for him to lead a miracle comeback after that happened.

Rams offense has torched our D so badly for so long, it was a relief to see our D actually stop them for once. I was hoping that the addition of Jamal Adams plus LB Jordyn Brooks would improve our "team speed" on D; Rams offense always made our D look slow and overmatched in the past. It helped that we weren't facing a healthy Todd Gurley.

Do you have a take on Hawks improved D vs the Rams? Was Hawks D better, faster, or was Rams offense worse, slower? Did you even notice Jordyn Brooks enough to form an opinion on his play? (Adams was of course brilliant)

I expect your Rams to make the playoffs, and then your job is to knock off Green Bay in Lambeau somewhere along the line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thanks, folks.

This is why I like the Rams more than the Niners, whose fans have actually disappeared off the face of the earth for the most part.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Always appreciate classy/intelligent discourse from rival fans so thank you. Trolling enemy fan forums is low hanging fruit. It takes character and class to be respectful.

The Rams defense will keep you guys relevant for years to come. Goff is definitely a weak link, like you said, he needs pretty much perfection around him to be really good. I personally never thought that much of him and thought the contract amount was crazy. Not because I am a Seahawks fan, just as an NFL fan that thought he was way overpaid.

Someone like Stafford or even Wentz would make me very nervous if the Rams acquired one of them. If you guys ever get a Top 10 quarterback, look out.

I admired Goff's toughness after breaking his thumb yesterday. We may very well see you in Seattle again in January.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2ugb75qv said:

Ramfan, always enjoy seeing you here and reading your posts. You're always respectful and classy, and often provide good insight.

Yes, no question QB is your weak link. Great defense, one of the best overall players in the league in Darnold, and Ramsey is no slouch either. And I'm a McVay fan. I think he's already one of the brightest young coaches in the NFL, and is only going to get better. You're in good hands, and I'm confident (unfortunately ;) ) that he'll figure it out.

As for yesterday's game, I think Carroll actually outcoached him for the first time since McVay has been in LA. He had our defense well prepared for everything the Rams like to do, particularly those misdirection plays and rollouts the Rams love to run. Hawks had the edges well covered on nearly every play. It was a great game plan, at least defensively. Offensively we're not nearly as creative, although that play design on the Hollister TD was a thing of beauty.

Not sure what you're going to do about Goff. Isn't he signed through 2024 if I'm not mistaken? He's obviously untradeable with that contract, although I'm not sure how much of that is guaranteed. Rams are going to need to get very creative. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Say what you will about Goff. He's not a good NFL QB, but that dude is a hell of a lot tougher than I had given him credit for, not only playing with a broken thumb, but popping it back in on the field of play without missing a beat. That made me cringe just watching that.

Anyway, there's a very good chance we're going to see you again in a couple weeks. That scares me, because no matter who's at QB for the Rams, I know McVay is going to have something up his sleeve and will have them ready to play. And of course you still have that great defense. I predict it will be another close game, and both teams will lean on the running game. Will be looking for another low-scoring defensive struggle.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":12bv13br said:
Thanks, folks.

This is why I like the Rams more than the Niners, whose fans have actually disappeared off the face of the earth for the most part.
We do also have some classy 49er fans who post on this board, I mean, as much as it's possible to be when also being a 49er fan, but I can't blame them too much for being largely MIA from this board given how their season has gone. Much more fun when your team is playing for the division title in week 16 and 17. Much respect to the 49ers for hanging 2 Ls on the Rams this year, 2 Ls that are the margin by which Hawks win the division.

Much respect to the Rams too, and I hope this means we will have competitive games from this point forward, because the Rams have dominated us for the last few years.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Thanks Alice & Ramfan! Classy as always, glad you're both posters here.

Our defense performed above expectations against you guys, it was great to see from our perspective, lol; especially considering how horrific our defense has been for the first 2/3rds of the season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Solid posters, always. What's the word on Goff? I heard he had the surgery, but does he think he'll play in the playoffs?
Side note, as much as I enjoy teasing the Guy, when he popped his thumb back in place and followed it up with a dart for a 3rd down conversion? We tipped the cap to him. That was bad ass.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3sr8ohgd said:
Mad Dog":3sr8ohgd said:

True. But Wilson got lucky on his first throw of the game that went right to the Rams corner. QB's make mistakes. With Goff, I think the ball sailed on him.

Fact is the score was pretty even when Goff broke his thumb and that effectively ended any hopes of staying with the Seahawks the rest of the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3ojzov1i said:
Ramfan128":3ojzov1i said:
Mad Dog":3ojzov1i said:

True. But Wilson got lucky on his first throw of the game that went right to the Rams corner. QB's make mistakes. With Goff, I think the ball sailed on him.

Fact is the score was pretty even when Goff broke his thumb and that effectively ended any hopes of staying with the Seahawks the rest of the game.

There ar bounces for and against every game, lucky on that play, unlucky on three others, two fumbles not recovered and the call about conceding progress on the play that should have been a recovery since whistle not blown.

Ramfan and Alice thanks for the thread.

You both Rock in my eyes as members and fans !!