Game winning TD appreciation post/breakdown

Jerhawk

Reaction score
With 2:56 on the clock, 3rd and 5 from the 14 yard line, the most critical play of the season so far rested on the shoulders of Russell Wilson.

Wilson makes a great throw falling away from the defender in his face, none other than Aaron Donald.
The touch on the throw was absolutely perfect.

The playcall was great, and was executed to perfection. Jacob Hollister makes the most critical catch of his career, beating his man Jordan Fuller.

Another crucial element of this play was the route of rookie Freddy Swain. He did a great job not interfering with Fuller on this designed rub route concept to prevent drawing a flag from the officiating crew.

It's fascinating to me that in this pivotal moment when we needed a play, it wasn't Lockett/Metcalf in that route combination. It wasn't Greg Olson. They used Hollister and Swain. What a great team effort!

Great playcall. Great execution. Perfect throw. Ball game. Division champs.

[youtube]R5J1aX0uTgc[/youtube]

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
In regards to what Aikman was talking about when the defender in that man scheme chooses to go either over (defend the TD) or under (defend the first down line to gain)...my thought here is that had the defender chose the over and stayed deep, then Hollister breaks out, parallel to the line to gain, and gets 5 yds and a first down.

Great design, great call, perfect execution.

sutz

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2ngxxyo6 said:
In regards to what Aikman was talking about when the defender in that man scheme chooses to go either over (defend the TD) or under (defend the first down line to gain)...my thought here is that had the defender chose the over and stayed deep, then Hollister breaks out, parallel to the line to gain, and gets 5 yds and a first down.

It's one of those great play designs that forces the defender to make a decision and either way, the offense has a positive outcome. The other side of that is that if the defender had chosen differently, they Swain might have benefited from the rub route and come open on the slant to the endzone. Win-win.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
sutz":1ciuwclx said:
LoneHawkFan":1ciuwclx said:

It's one of those great play designs that forces the defender to make a decision and either way, the offense has a positive outcome. The other side of that is that if the defender had chosen differently, they Swain might have benefited from the rub route and come open on the slant to the endzone. Win-win.

Yes I was wondering that too. I love it.

At times I feel like Schotty has a tough time trying to put together the right playcall for 3rd and 5-10 yards (we were dismal yesterday)...but man he dialed up some good calls when we needed them most there in the final 15-20 minutes. That last TD drive was special.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
That was a well executed play and an absolute dagger. Funny thing is it was almost the same play that was picked in the end zone in the Dallas game. This pass was released on time the Dallas one was a split second late due to the scramble. On the replay you can see the safety recognize the route and make his break...too late, ball was on time. TD game winner GO HAWKS

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely loved the play call. I was just saying "don't get too cute, something high percentage"
A few seconds later, screw conservative. Absolutely gorgeous throw and catch. I was confident they would still win even if they Hawks settled for 3. Esp. the way they were playing defense.
But 11 felt like 20 the way these two defenses were playing.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":32swgpl0 said:
It's fascinating to me that in this pivotal moment when we needed a play, it wasn't Lockett/Metcalf in that route combination. It wasn't Greg Olson. They used Hollister and Swain. What a great team effort!

I think this is big moving forward. Teams will continue to concentrate on taking the big plays away from Metcalf and Lockett. Russ still needs to take those shots when he gets a chance, but he's got 3 good receiving tight ends, and Moore and Swain have had their moments. If the O can get key first downs from those guys when needed it's going to be hard to stop like early in the year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2eyo96x6 said:
With 2:56 on the clock, 3rd and 5 from the 14 yard line, the most critical play of the season so far rested on the shoulders of Russell Wilson.

Wilson makes a great throw falling away from the defender in his face, none other than Aaron Donald.
The touch on the throw was absolutely perfect.

The playcall was great, and was executed to perfection. Jacob Hollister makes the most critical catch of his career, beating his man Jordan Fuller.

Another crucial element of this play was the route of rookie Freddy Swain. He did a great job not interfering with Fuller on this designed rub route concept to prevent drawing a flag from the officiating crew.

Rams Defense were keying on all of Wilson's #1 outlets.
Great play-call, great timing, and NO Defense can cover everyone, 100% of the time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And a great job by Swain to not run in to the defender, which could have made them throw a flag for a pick play.
The execution was outstanding. The Rookie making a veteran like play.

ivotuk

Reaction score
IMHO, one reason the defender chose to defend short, was from the previous TD Russell ran in.

DB was afraid RW would run for an easy 1st down, so protected against that, and against Holly Jolly Christmas getting an easy peasy 1st!