Shout outs and Call outs for the Rams game.

TypeSly

Reaction score
This thread is for any shout outs or call outs you guys want to give for yesterday's game. I feel like yesterday was a really complete game by the Hawks, and really there's hardly anyone to call out. Sure, the offence started off horribly slow, with no rhythm or energy, but they did eventually get it going. Russ is obviously the engine for the offence, so when he started to get going, the whole offence got going.

Shout outs:

1) The whole defence. A few big plays given up, but no huge ones. When they did give up some big plays, or 3rd down conversions, they eventually made up for it at some point in the drive. I was really impressed by the consistency through out the whole game.
2) The DB's. Adams, Diggs and Reed all had really good games, and just played together the wholegame.
3) KJ Wright. He had an excellent game, and seemed to be everywhere this game. Brooks followed in suit, and had one his best games as well. Wagner was avergae, because he only had to be avergae.
4) Michael Dixon, and the special-teams units. Dixon was exellent as usual, and he probably has to be the most consistent Seahawk this season. I can't think of a single game, where I thought he didn't play well. Love this guy. Also, with the special teams, I can't think of another season where we had a more solid year in special teams. I can hardly think of any huge plays given up on special teams, especially at important times in the games. So many take-aways compared to give-aways this season, and yesterday was another solid performance.
5) Ken Norton Jr. Wow, I can't believe he's on this side of the list, but overall had his best game as a DC. Really good decisions on defensive schemes and timing of blitzes etc.

Call Outs:

1) Schottenheimer. Some baffling offensive play calls, especially in the first half. Trying to force the run, when we needed to take soome shots down field early in the game. Passing plays were all 5 yards or shorter, or long bombs when they weren't necessary.
2) Neal. Didn't have a very strong game, and took that stupid roughing the kicker penalty, at a crucial time that could have really costed his team. The Rams had nothing going on that drive and a few drives before, but then started to drive down the field after that penalty. Bailed out by the Diggs interception at the end.
3) Shaquille Griffen. Had a few blown coverages, and some crucial missed tackles. He had his worst game since his return from injury, and was bailed out by the strong play of the rest of the secondary.
4) Russell Wilson. I hate to put him opn this list, because he came back strong late in the game starting about halfway through the 3rd quarter. Early in the game, made some bad throws and had some really bad decisions, and was hanging on to the ball too long at times. Wilson played well enough this game, but I don't think a performance like this will cut it during the playoffs.

Overall, this was a very satisfying win, since we won the division, and because it was against the Rams who have really given us trouble in recent years. What's great is to see the whole team is getting healthy at the perfect time, and is coming together as a team going into the playoffs. Watch out NFL, because the Seahawks are a legit SB contender and a feared opponent going into the big dance. I really feel like this season, we can go far and possibly win another championship.

vonstout

Reaction score
Moore really bailed Russ out on his terrible decision to throw the deep ball when he should have run for the first down on that 3rd down play. I’ve seen people saying Russ screwed up on the bad overthrow to one of the tight ends, but that was a missed illegal contact that threw him off his route.

Adams hustle to stop that TD reminded me of DK chasing down Buddha. This team may have faults, but you’ve gotta love their hustle and heart.

TraderGary

Reaction score
vonstout":23yj2knb said:
Moore really bailed Russ out on his terrible decision to throw the deep ball when he should have run for the first down on that 3rd down play. I’ve seen people saying Russ screwed up on the bad overthrow to one of the tight ends, but that was a missed illegal contact that threw him off his route.

Adams hustle to stop that TD reminded me of DK chasing down Buddha. This team may have faults, but you’ve gotta love their hustle and heart.
I agree. He had an easy 20-yards of green grass in front of him. Reminded me of a very similar situation in I believe it was the first Arizona game when he could have run forever and instead elected to throw a long pass completely across the field for an interception in the end zone.

Something is off with Russ. He's not the same QB he was early in the season. He seems to have lost some confidence, and has been very hesitant and indecisive ever since that stretch when he was turning the ball over a lot. I wonder if he's being somewhat handcuffed by Pete who's instructing him to protect the ball at all costs and not to throw into any tight windows which may be causing the hesitation?

Whatever it may be, I hope he finds his stride again before the playoffs get under way.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
TraderGary":tze3m3v4 said:
vonstout":tze3m3v4 said:

I agree. He had an easy 20-yards of green grass in front of him. Reminded me of a very similar situation in I believe it was the first Arizona game when he could have run forever and instead elected to throw a long pass completely across the field for an interception in the end zone.

Something is off with Russ. He's not the same QB he was early in the season. He seems to have lost some confidence, and has been very hesitant and indecisive ever since that stretch when he was turning the ball over a lot. I wonder if he's being somewhat handcuffed by Pete who's instructing him to protect the ball at all costs and not to throw into any tight windows which may be causing the hesitation?

Whatever it may be, I hope he finds his stride again before the playoffs get under way.

The end zone interception was in Buffalo, and that was the same game he took many sacks, and one in which he got "rocked" and had to go to the tent for the concussion protocol. Yes, and that was the same game in which people noticed that he wasn't really the same as the games prior, and some people suggested that Russ was a little "off". Coincidentally, this is the time where the TO's started to pile up, and the MVP talk started to dissipate.

You're right though, that play yesterday had a lot of similarities to the one in Buffalo, just with a different result. Again, I saw a ton of real-estate ahead of him on that scramble and was shocked that he lobbed one deep to Moore (who was pretty well covered might I add). I guess it's hard to argue, when that turned out to be the same drive that gave the Seahawks their first TD, and the drive that seemed to turn the tides in our favor.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TypeSly":t14efhbq said:
-snip-
You're right though, that play yesterday had a lot of similarities to the one in Buffalo, just with a different result. Again, I saw a ton of real-estate ahead of him on that scramble and was shocked that he lobbed one deep to Moore (who was pretty well covered might I add). I guess it's hard to argue, when that turned out to be the same drive that gave the Seahawks their first TD, and the drive that seemed to turn the tides in our favor.

I'd rather be lucky and good?

Ya, Russell put his trust in Moore to go get it, and Moore did his thing. Lucky and good to complete that catch inbounds!

Or maybe Russell felt that matchup was one where Moore had a huge advantage, and just tried to give Moore a chance.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I was yelling at the tv and shotty most the first half and third quarter to call some plays to move the pocket. Not that Russ can't be great from within the pocket but with 2 missing oline starters they were getting pressure in there. Once Russ took it upon himself to bail out some things start to open up for us.

Russ can be great in the pocket but when he gets out it changes the whole dynamic for the opposing D. They have to think more on their own and puts them in what I call "pickles". Like a baseball pickle the defense has to instantaneously decide whether to stay in coverage on WR's or come up and stop Wilson from picking up the first downs with his feet.

Russ excels at this and is deadly accurate on the move even on long balls. This and the ability to make players miss in the scramble drill are what make him really special IMO.

Go Hawks!!!

Own The West

Reaction score
I want to shout out the rollout play Russ scored the TD on.

IMHO, that should be our bread and butter at the goal line. If they pack it between the tackles, roll out; if they load the wings, run it inside. Russ is mobile enough and accurate enough on the run to turn that into 6 nearly every time, and he'll be outside of the pocket to throw it away if it's not there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point ^. It makes it very tough for a defense. If you pursue the QB, a wide out or TE can come open. If you don't pursue the QB, he is buying time to throw a TD pass. I hope they call that same play again, and soon.