Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cut Russ for Dwayne Haskins?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Cut Russ for Dwayne Haskins?
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:09 pm
  • We really need to make a change at QB, he only broke the Seahawks single season TD record by 3 with one game to go. Haskins is free because of inept Washington management, they should never have cut such a stud. I think we need to pick him up and replace Russel.

P.S. The most INTs in a season by a Seahawks QB is 27 from Jim Zorn in 1976, our first season in the league if anyone remembers that... To put it in context Russ has thrown 13 so far this year, that's 21st on the list.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: Cut Russ for Dwayne Haskins?
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:19 pm
  • What are you trying to accomplish here?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:22 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:What are you trying to accomplish here?

I'm just teasing and taking a jab at WFT. They really messed up wasting a 1st rd pick on that guy. Just lighthearted. I did think the Russ stats were of note tho... pointing out he broke out single season TD record despite really taking a lot of (sometimes deserved) heat lately. And I thought it was interesting to point out Jim's 27 picks in '76! Sorry if it came across as a bad post, I was just trying to have some monday fun!
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:28 pm
  • Nah cut geno and get haskins. Have haskins stay with russell and hope it all rubs off and then hopefully we’ll have a really good win after Russ is long done
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:43 pm
  • My sources, whom I trust, are diligently scouting junior colleges as we speak to replace Russell.

I wouldn't necessarily go with Haskins; he's a bit too much of a party animal for my taste.
    But there's a young man at North Idaho college, working at Wendy's part time, who has a killer arm and a great work ethic.

I'll keep you all updated with this developing story.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:28 pm
  • Haskins was incredible in college, but only played one year, and probably needed more time to develop in the NFL. I'd be all over him on our practice squad.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm
  • JPatera76 wrote:Nah cut geno and get haskins. Have haskins stay with russell and hope it all rubs off and then hopefully we’ll have a really good win after Russ is long done

I believe that Russ is at the point in his career where he could benefit with another QB "pushing him".
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:45 pm
  • Rat wrote:Haskins was incredible in college, but only played one year, and probably needed more time to develop in the NFL. I'd be all over him on our practice squad.

If be alright with this to be honest... he showed quite a bit in the game against the Seahawks
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:03 pm
  • [quote="Welshers"]We really need to make a change at QB, he only broke the Seahawks single season TD record by 3 with one game to go. Haskins is free because of inept Washington management, they should never have cut such a stud. I think we need to pick him up and replace Russel.

P.S. The most INTs in a season by a Seahawks QB is 27 from Jim Zorn in 1976, our first season in the league if anyone remembers that... To put it in context Russ has thrown 13 so far this year, that's 21st on the list.[
    /quote]
    I and some others in here do remember Zorny and he threw a lot of interceptions
    over the time he started.
    That 27int you mention?I can tell you if Russ played in 76 that 13 becomes in the 20's
    There was no QB protection with rules like there is today ..
    You either had a good running game or you got killed by passing too much because
    lack of one.
    i'm having some Monday fun too Si but I'm dead serious also. :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:That 27int you mention?I can tell you if Russ played in 76 that 13 becomes in the 20's
    There was no QB protection with rules like there is today ..
    You either had a good running game or you got killed by passing too much because
    lack of one. :2thumbs:

You're right, but it would have been even worse.

The biggest factor is how the DBs were allowed to play "back in the day". If they tried playing like that now they'd be banned for life for illegal hits and be flagged on almost every play for pass interference.

I remember when a 1-1 TD/INT ratio was the benchmark for a good quarterback. 2-1 was considered outstanding and extremely hard to achieve. Nowadays, 4-1 is good and 8-1 is achievable - unthinkable way back when.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:16 pm
  • Oh God, so many "I told you so" threads since yesterday :roll:
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 pm
  • TypeSly wrote:Oh God, so many "I told you so" threads since yesterday :roll:

A lot easier on the eyes than the ones when the team loses.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 pm
  • I would be all for replacing Our backup QB, if we can get Rosen, let him learn from wilson.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 pm
  • toffee wrote:I would be all for replacing Our backup QB, if we can get Rosen, let him learn from wilson.

The thing is I think Geno is really good on the sidelines, always talking to Russ helping him analyze. And other guys like him
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:15 pm
  • I know you're joking.
    Haskins is just another in a long line of Ohio St QBs that didn't pan out in the NFL.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:What are you trying to accomplish here?

I'm just teasing and taking a jab at WFT. They really messed up wasting a 1st rd pick on that guy. Just lighthearted. I did think the Russ stats were of note tho... pointing out he broke out single season TD record despite really taking a lot of (sometimes deserved) heat lately. And I thought it was interesting to point out Jim's 27 picks in '76! Sorry if it came across as a bad post, I was just trying to have some monday fun!

Hard to take jabs at anyone's first round draft failures when we have about 8 years of them and it got so bad it was worth while to dump 2 for a single player.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:44 pm
  • This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen posted on .net.

Haskins is a developmental project who's presently not as good as Geno Smith and you think the team should actually cut Wilson for the guy who galactic ally failed in DC? OK sure thing? :pukeface: What other bright ideas: ut Wagner and Brown and KJ and a few others for washed out bums? Then the Hawks again could be in the wilderness like Cleveland and Cincie have been for the last decade or more. We'd for sure be drafting in the top 5 for quite some time and Pete and John would go to wherever RW was and win some seasons there as well.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:57 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen posted on .net.

Haskins is a developmental project who's presently not as good as Geno Smith and you think the team should actually cut Wilson for the guy who galactic ally failed in DC? OK sure thing? :pukeface: What other bright ideas: ut Wagner and Brown and KJ and a few others for washed out bums? Then the Hawks again could be in the wilderness like Cleveland and Cincie have been for the last decade or more. We'd for sure be drafting in the top 5 for quite some time and Pete and John would go to wherever RW was and win some seasons there as well.

I assume he’s joking. We would trade Russ, not flat-out cut him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:11 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen posted on .net.

I think somebody didn't get the joke.....
    Polk738
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:15 pm
  • TypeSly wrote:Oh God, so many "I told you so" threads since yesterday :roll:

This^ imo worse than overeaction Monday after a loss. People love to say I told you so...makes em feel powerful.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:38 am
  • Sports Illustrated: Could Haskins be Seahawks' backup plan in 2021?

The Seahawks have never had a backup quarterback that carries starter potential. On Monday, one such player was released in Haskins, who could be worth taking a flier on to learn from Russell Wilson and Brian Schottenheimer.

On the surface, Haskins has been nothing short of a bust as a first-round pick and has displayed immaturity in multiple instances, not a trait you necessarily hunt for in your quarterback room. But there are a few things we know about coach Pete Carroll that make this a potential fit. First, we know that the Seahawks love former first-round picks and former top recruits. Haskins was the 15th overall pick in 2019 and is a former four-star recruit.

Second, we know that Carroll truly believes that his culture can help any player get on the right track. The Seahawks track record on this belief has been hit and miss, but has produced such hits as Marshawn Lynch and Frank Clark.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... an-in-2021
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:24 am
  • I wouldn't mind picking up Rosen to sit behind Russ, but he is with the 9ers now.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:26 pm
  • Where's Nick Foles these days? That dude is the GOAT of all backups.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm
  • With the amount of hits Russ takes I wouldn't be against picking up somebody fairly young with good upside to get mentored & then play if the need arose. He'd need to be the 3rd for awhile until he's deemed ready ahead of Geno.

I'm not sure given what we've seen with Haskins that he would be the guy, but I think we need somebody like that. Maybe somebody who had potential but also injury issues that needed time to fully heal. We'd also need to realize that we'd risk losing these potentially high upside guys after a few seasons & start all over again unless they were willing to stay on the off-chance Russ got hurt.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information