DK Metcalf on verge of toppling 35-year-old Seahawks record

ivotuk

Reaction score
Metcalf will likely need just one catch Sunday to topple the record that has stood for 35 years.

He is six yards shy of besting Steve Largent’s single-season franchise record. Largent had 1,287 receiving yards in 1985, the best of a nine-season run during which the Hall of Famer topped 1,000 yards eight times. Largent only failed to reach the mark during the strike-shortened 1982 season.

The Seahawks can only hope this season is the beginning of a similar run by its young second-year star, who with each passing week looks more like one of biggest draft steals in recent memory.

“He can make every catch, do everything you want him to do,” quarterback Russell Wilson said. “To be even mentioned in the same category as a guy like Steve Largent so early is a blessing in itself.”

Metcalf goes into Week 17 against San Francisco already among the elite in the league. He’s sixth in the league in yards receiving (1,282), touchdown catches (10) and yards per reception (16.0). He’s just the second wide receiver in team history to receive a Pro Bowl selection in his first two seasons, joining Brian Blades.

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports ... 26595.html

FPD

Reaction score
I love Metcalf. I even have his jersey. But even when he breaks this record, it's just too early to compare him to a Hall of Famer like Largent. Just my :twocents: .

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
FPD":5403jg7p said:
I love Metcalf. I even have his jersey. But even when he breaks this record, it's just too early to compare him to a Hall of Famer like Largent. Just my :twocents: .

I'm with you there. Those were different times where a receiver could be mugged, and the QB could be obliterated.

sutz

Reaction score
FPD":1vv0ukmf said:
Not gonna argue that. DK will have to play a few years more before we go there. He's on a good pace, though. :mrgreen:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll Join The Old Man Club and agree with the above. :2thumbs:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
To play devils advocate, I dont think the OP was comparing him to Largent, just pointing out that his record was going to be broken ;)

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Records were made to be broken.
Holding a record for 35 years is plenty long enough. Largent is a HOF legend. I hope DK SMASHES it, and sets the bar a mile higher. Then I hope we get a guy who smashes that one...if DK doesn't do it himself.

xray

Reaction score
Largent will always be Metcalf's ' Daddy ' . IMO

Elemas

Reaction score
If he continues being this good, he will 100% be the Hawks best receiver ever.

No dis to Largent. But, breaking the record in year 2? I'm old school as well but, I see DK taking the crown. Just needs to work on the drops a bit.

TraderGary

Reaction score
ivotuk":wbx97zap said:
FPD":wbx97zap said:

I'm with you there. Those were different times where a receiver could be mugged, and the QB could be obliterated.
You're right, different era, different rules that heavily favor the offense versus when Largent played. Wonder what Largent would have done if he were playing in today's NFL?

That is in no way meant to be a knock on DK who I also love. Just an observation. Come Sunday, DK will be the new record holder and I hope he continues to work hard, improve his game, and strive to be one of the best the game has ever seen. The sky is the limit for him. The only thing that could hold him back other than an injury would be complacency, but I don't see that happening. Stay hungry, stay humble, and never stop learning DK.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Elemas":2l9qqbjg said:
If he continues being this good, he will 100% be the Hawks best receiver ever.

No dis to Largent. But, breaking the record in year 2? I'm old school as well but, I see DK taking the crown. Just needs to work on the drops a bit.
The league was MUCH less pass-friendly in Largent's day...Just sayin'.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I love DK, but let’s have this conversation about comparing him to Largent when he gets closer to 800 receptions, 13,000 yards and 100 TDS. He very likely will have the most prolific 1 season receiving record in Seahawks history. That is something to be applauded.

misfit

Reaction score
Its still pretty mindblowing hes breaking Largents record in his second season. He's well on his way...

TraderGary

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":26albo4m said:
I love DK, but let’s have this conversation about comparing him to Largent when he gets closer to 800 receptions, 13,000 yards and 100 TDS. He very likely will have the most prolific 1 season receiving record in Seahawks history. That is something to be applauded.
Agreed

Elemas

Reaction score
I agree that the rules of old vs. new are in DKs favor.

An analogy that I like to use when it comes to progression in sports would be Bob Cousy. Or, hell...Bill Russell. Legends of the Boston Celtics. In today's game, those two may still produce but there's no way in hell they'd be winning championships or have the careers they had.

There's a cutoff of course. I'd look at someone silly if they said Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, even Largent couldn't perform in today's game.

But, the athleticism and level of development certainly changes over time. It's the one factor that always trends upwards.

This is not to take away from the legends of old. There are those guys that you could put in any era and they'd be just as great because they were so damn good. Payton, Singletary, Dion Sanders...etc...Michael Jordan is my #1 no matter the decade.

Point is, the rules have made it more favorable but, you put DK in Largents era, DK still dominates. You put Largent in DKs era, I'm not so sure. I know he'd be damn good. Still one of my favorite Hawks but, I feel that once DK puts it all together (mainly, softening up those hands), sky's the limit and Largents record season may be trumped time and time again.

Again...not taking away from the greats. We certainly have one damn good receiver now though!!!

xray

Reaction score
Largent was mugged W/O flags . Big difference in my world .