Random Musings (Playoff Edition)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
-- My son, a hardcore 12 who happens to live on the Wrong Coast, texted me today..."Why is it that we like to wake up in the 4th quarter to start playing football?" It was a valid point. What happened to this prolific offense months ago? We now tend to sleep walk through quarters offensively. Waking up here and there to hopefully snap out of it enough to win the game like we did today.

-- I am aware that the 9ers GOT UP for this game. They wanted nothing more than to beat us. Their final game of the year. Think about the emotional, mental boost that gives a franchise, losing so many starters and still beating the NFC West Champions. On top of that, Saleh was putting his resume out there on film for a potential HC job. Let's not underestimate that dynamic. The players, especially on defense, knew what time it was and played accordingly.

-- There's this running joke between me and my neighbor. Ever the antagonist. I tease him how everybody plays hard against us because it's "their Super Bowl." Mostly it's in jest, but today? I am fairly convinced this really WAS the 9ers Super Bowl.

-- With the jawing, the shoving, the physicality...The rivalry is alive and well between these two teams and I LOVE IT! It's not as good as the LOB and Pete vs Harbaugh and Kaep but it's good enough.

-- I admit. I stopped watching in the 3rd quarter. My BP was rising exponentially. I wanted Pete to yank all our starters as I felt strongly our seeding was not going to change based on the way the Packers and Saints were playing. When I saw Reed hobble off the field I was just livid.

-- I started watching in the 4th when our phones kept blowing up. Okay, back to it. For better or for worse. Seahawks finally woke up on offense but my BP wasn't done with me when I saw the Seahawks play soft zone prevent defense, which brings me to my next point...

-- Is Prevent Defense the worst concept in the history of the NFL? I truly believe so. As I am watching the 3rd string QB and 3rd string RB methodically march down the field (while fireworks are going off in our neighborhood as if the game was already over, grrrrr) I was trying to explain to my wife how they are going to score a TD. She didn't believe me until the chunks of yards kept a-comin. When they scored the TD she looked at me and said "How did you know that was going to happen?" Sigh.

-- Not quite the feeling I wanted after this win. Not that I didn't expect the 49ers to give us a fight, I totally did. I just can't explain why this team is afraid of Killer Mentality football. Maybe it really is Pete has a thing for keeping it close and winning in the 4th. Hell, one of his favorite mantras of all time talks about how you can't win in the other quarters, but you can in the 4th. Is that philosophy going to kill us one day?

-- 12-4. Dammit I should have put money down in Vegas as that was my prediction for this year. I said the same thing last year when I predicted 11-5. My neighbor still gives me crap that I should have put everything down on the line last year that had the total win line at 8.5. I scoffed and said, "Please!!! Easy money! We will win 11 games!" He hasn't let me forget that as I put zero money down. Oh well. Story of my life.

-- 12-4. NFC West Champions. Warts and all, we are hosting a playoff game.

GO HAWKS!!!!

Easy Royal

Reaction score
Speaking of random musings did anyone notice it’s like Tyler L didn’t have his glove on when he caught that last touchdown pass? It’s like his fingers weren’t in the holes. Must’ve been rushed before the play is all I can think.

renofox

Reaction score
Aros":1ejax4th said:
Maybe it really is Pete has a thing for keeping it close and winning in the 4th. Hell, one of his favorite mantras of all time talks about how you can't win in the other quarters, but you can in the 4th. Is that philosophy going to kill us one day?

He also has said (too many times to count) the he really LOVES close game and that close games are the best games. That philosophy has already cost the Seahawks many games and will cost more as long as PC is here. But PC being here is also the reason the Seahawks are consistent winners and one of the top team in the NFL every single year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We've had this "stubbornly insist on trying to run the offense our way until it's nearly (and sometimes, is) too late" tendency during the entire Pete Carroll era. Having an amazing defense for a number of years helped cover it up, but it's nothing new. I had hoped it would change when we got Schottenheimer, and it didn't. Then, the start to this season got my hopes up again that we may have learned our lesson - that is, that in the NFL, you need to go for the throat for a full four quarters every Sunday - and, we didn't.

I've just accepted at this point that Pete is too old to change. He's got his formula, he won one Super Bowl with it, and it's here to stay as long as he is. I don't want Pete gone, but whenever the time comes when he does retire, I will be glad to see the offensive philosophy go along with it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Easy Royal":2xvewah6 said:
Speaking of random musings did anyone notice it’s like Tyler L didn’t have his glove on when he caught that last touchdown pass? It’s like his fingers weren’t in the holes. Must’ve been rushed before the play is all I can think.

There was a defensive holding penalty on that play that was obviously declined. Perhaps the defender was pulling on Tyler's hand? I don't know, they didn't show a replay because the penalty didn't matter.

D

DomeHawk

I pretty much share your thoughts here Aros. The woes with the offense are perplexing, I can only think that once there got to be enough film to watch that opposing DC's have been able to figure us out. I also think we haven't been as imaginative as we were earlier and part of that is probably due to wanting to restore the running game. Either way, I hope that we are saving some stuff that other teams haven't seen for the playoffs.

As for writing that you don't feel the way you wanted to after this game, I feel exactly the same. The only good part of what is happening right now is that Goff is hurt and we have a better chance of winning w/o him next week. Hopefully, a win there will propel us to the next round and get us a little healthier.

But WTH, a 12-4 season? That's a great NFL season by anyone's estimation.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1wpy0c4o said:
We've had this "stubbornly insist on trying to run the offense our way until it's nearly (and sometimes, is) too late" tendency during the entire Pete Carroll era. Having an amazing defense for a number of years helped cover it up, but it's nothing new. I had hoped it would change when we got Schottenheimer, and it didn't. Then, the start to this season got my hopes up again that we may have learned our lesson - that is, that in the NFL, you need to go for the throat for a full four quarters every Sunday - and, we didn't.

I've just accepted at this point that Pete is too old to change. He's got his formula, he won one Super Bowl with it, and it's here to stay as long as he is. I don't want Pete gone, but whenever the time comes when he does retire, I will be glad to see the offensive philosophy go along with it.

But we threw the ball all 3 times & then punted at least a couple times in the 2nd half. The announcers even made note of it. There was very little predictable runs on 1st & 2nd down & then a pass on 3rd if any.

Pete can't win. It's his fault if the offense doesn't move the ball whether he runs it 3 times or passes it 3 times. If it doesn't work it's gotta be because "Pete Ball".

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3s1aqeyp said:
But we threw the ball all 3 times & then punted at least a couple times in the 2nd half. The announcers even made note of it. There was very little predictable runs on 1st & 2nd down & then a pass on 3rd if any.

Pete can't win. It's his fault if the offense doesn't move the ball whether he runs it 3 times or passes it 3 times. If it doesn't work it's gotta be because "Pete Ball".
It's all in HOW you try to pass and run. You can't just say "we passed on three consecutive downs, we DID change up" - it doesn't work like that unless you inexplicably think all passes and runs are the same.

I'm talking about how we have this tendency to not switch to a short passing game when defenders are living in our backfield consistently. Before halftime, we should have started running a bunch of slants, designed bootlegs, screens, etc. to counter the pressure. We didn't. We did have a COUPLE of slants to Metcalf which were nice to see, but we need to change up what we're doing on offense to take advantage of what defenses are doing to us more often and more quickly.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
" Is Prevent Defense the worst concept in the history of the NFL?"

Not at all. Properly executed it is an extremely effective defensive scheme.

But Prevent Defense Seattle Style is the most poorly executed prevent defense I've ever seen. EVER. At any level.

D

DomeHawk

RolandDeschain":24wmh5pd said:
Hockey Guy":24wmh5pd said:

It's all in HOW you try to pass and run. You can't just say "we passed on three consecutive downs, we DID change up" - it doesn't work like that unless you inexplicably think all passes and runs are the same.

I'm talking about how we have this tendency to not switch to a short passing game when defenders are living in our backfield consistently. Before halftime, we should have started running a bunch of slants, designed bootlegs, screens, etc. to counter the pressure. We didn't. We did have a COUPLE of slants to Metcalf which were nice to see, but we need to change up what we're doing on offense to take advantage of what defenses are doing to us more often and more quickly.

I agree, it isn't a matter of just run vs pass in play selection. This is the modern NFL, you have to be creative. That doesn't mean trick plays but just trying to find favorable matchups. Granted, they might be disguising their defense often but you gotta mix it up when they seem to have you figured out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Today the Hawks played a top 5 D and a team wanting to win. The Digits are a good team with a very good D. Sure they are last in the NFC-W but went to the SB recently and while on the limp they are a good team.

We can wonder why the Niners hung in to the end or were allowed to hang in, but they are a pro team that knows what our team does and are a team with a very solid D. Once again I'm not going complain about a W. The team won and for a bit it didn't look like that was going to happen. The late scores were garbage time stuff, but the Hawks finished when they needed to finish. Today despite being behind I never doubted they'd eventually get it together and move the ball.

Our reward today is a playoff game with the Rams. Tampa gets Washington, and N.O. gets Chicago. I truly hate the Rams and hope they come next weekend and we kick their rears hard, and convincingly .

12-4 is a damn good season. Sure didn't think it to start the year but did believe they'd be 11-5. They only lost to NYG, Rams, Buffalo, and AZ. What was interesting to watch was the way the D came on at the end of the season and they are truly laying the lumber at times. What is slightly concerning is the recent inconsistency of the O. In that regard the team has faced some damn good D's over the last 5 games which makes it harder for the O.

Despite a few concerns I feel good about the team and their prospects next weekend.

Seriously doubt the negativity from a few. This team has the ability, personnel, coaching, and management to go all the way.

GO HAWKS!!!

Somos doces

Reaction score
Aros":4b9lhz01 said:
-... -- With the jawing, the shoving, the physicality...The rivalry is alive and well between these two teams and I LOVE IT! It's not as good as the LOB and Pete vs Harbaugh and Kaep but it's good enough....
Can't disagree overall. But I'd like to mention that in my observation, the physicality was in good spirit rather than malicious. I thought this appropriate for a season-ending matchup between a playoff team and a potential contender that was left out weeks ago due in large part to injuries.

The teams did come to play physically, and both obviously wanted to be the alpha on the field. That said, my observation was after each play the opponents seemed sympathetic and congratulatory to each other, and even helped each other up off the turf with regularity. I didn't see this happening often (if at all) during the previous 15 games, and I appreciated what I inferred was akin to a "professional courtesy" by the two teams, recognizing where each was in the grand scheme of the 2020-1 season but still not wanting to give an inch.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would also like to extend my musings...

-- Alex Collins. Why does he remind me of a thinner Beast Mode? I remember the terror he was after we let him go to the Ravens. Now he looks just like that terror again. Yes, small sample size but still. More of that please.