Russell Wilson's play tonight, we could win another SB?!

Tokadub

Reaction score
I gotta say, the way Wilson played in the 4th quarter was making a case for him being the best QB in the league. Sure it wasn't easy, sure it wasn't pretty, sure it came frighteningly late in this ball game... but that was the Wilson that I think he might be number 1 or 2 best QB in the league (Mahomes made it very hard to take #1 and Rodgers playing even better this season)...

My point being those final drives Russell kicked it into a different gear. He was playing to win like his life depended on it. He wasn't sliding short of the 1st down, he was risking his health to ensure our team can't lose.

Basically what I'm trying to say, Wilson has been sorta holding back to stay healthy this season. Which I think is smart. But if we see the Russell Wilson we saw in the 4th quarter tonight... I think we have a chance to win the Super Bowl. That was some vintage Russell Wilson refuse to lose legendary play in the 4th quarter.

I hope Jamal Adams is healthy... even with a bum shoulder we prob should play him just for his speed.

Carson has earned every cent of his contract if we can afford him, even though the 49ers played the run insanely well in my opinion.

Alex Collins looked really fresh and sharp, that touchdown looked like Marshawn Lynch type of run... I was impressed so that's a great sign if we have 3-4 super capable running backs that all excel in some different ways.

I'm a little concerned about Penny, he seems to be getting a little too excited or something. You can tell he's got the speed and burst to be a real problem for any defense... but he's just tripping over his own feet so far... he's gotta calm down... easier said than done.

I think Alex Collins should be our #2 RB right now, that's a bold statement but... he just straight up looked better than Hyde or Penny from what I've seen.

I thought the moment with KJ Wright and Wagner was also a really great sign for our defense, I haven't seen Wagner that fired up about another players play in my limited memory, he always has been a supportive teammate but this was different. This looked like to me Wagner said, "we aren't gonna lose!" probably WAY more dramatic what he really said but that's what he meant.

Final Thoughts:

We need to gain a little more consistency on Offense. I thought our short game to the sidelines was working really well all game to Lockett, probably should of mixed a little more Tight End play? I wish we had Josh Gordon I think he would make our Offense run like clockwork, easy 1st downs with him in the line up... but I still believe... Wilson's play tonight overcame the struggles in epic fashion, hopefully we have a better game plan so he doesn't need to go super man for us in the playoffs. but what I saw tonight we'll have a chance no matter what with Wilson playing with that level and focus and determination, I thought his play was very impressive.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I want so badly to agree with all of your points. Unfortunately I just can't. I am one of the biggest Russ fans I know. True story. However, what I saw today was the same troubling Russ I saw the middle of the season. I am so happy for that 4th quarter comeback of course. But let's be honest. Russell Wilson is anything but consistent. This is why the MVP was taken from him by November. Ask yourself, why doesn't Rodgers have a problem with being inconsistent?

I love Russ like no other but I refuse to be a Fan Boy for the sake of being a Fan Boy. (Not saying you are in the least, just a general open statement). I've seen all the glory this year like we all have, and I have seen the warts. I thought today's game was a classic example of why Russell isn't MVP. He doesn't bring that level of play throughout the game. Only in spurts. Thankfully it occurred in the 4th quarter. I am blissful for the victory but still annoyed that he can't seem to play up to his potential for 4 straight quarters.

Yes, I get there's more to it than just him. The OL needs to do their job and protect. The opposing defenses are professionals, often taking his reads away with great coverage resulting in poor passes or sacks.

But watch Aaron Rodgers. Why isn't he having the same struggles? Why is he consistently MVP nearly every game?

It's an honest question I would like the answer to. Because I am tired of Russ being MVP when the weather is fair. I want MVP Russ when the leaves have fallen and the temps are chilly. Give me THAT Russ.

edogg23

Reaction score
I guess you went the extreme glass half full route there. You could just as easily say Russ looked terrible out there until the last 2 drives against a decimated 49ers team. If he doesn’t make that 4th down td at the end we lose that game. Honestly, Russ had never looked more broken to me.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":3lhzg95v said:
I want so badly to agree with all of your points. Unfortunately I just can't. I am one of the biggest Russ fans I know. True story. However, what I saw today was the same troubling Russ I saw the middle of the season. I am so happy for that 4th quarter comeback of course. But let's be honest. Russell Wilson is anything but consistent. This is why the MVP was taken from him by November. Ask yourself, why doesn't Rodgers have a problem with being inconsistent?

I love Russ like no other but I refuse to be a Fan Boy for the sake of being a Fan Boy. (Not saying you are in the least, just a general open statement). I've seen all the glory this year like we all have, and I have seen the warts. I thought today's game was a classic example of why Russell isn't MVP. He doesn't bring that level of play throughout the game. Only in spurts. Thankfully it occurred in the 4th quarter. I am blissful for the victory but still annoyed that he can't seem to play up to his potential for 4 straight quarters.

Yes, I get there's more to it than just him. The OL needs to do their job and protect. The opposing defenses are professionals, often taking his reads away with great coverage resulting in poor passes or sacks.

But watch Aaron Rodgers. Why isn't he having the same struggles? Why is he consistently MVP nearly every game?

It's an honest question I would like the answer to. Because I am tired of Russ being MVP when the weather is fair. I want MVP Russ when the leaves have fallen and the temps are chilly. Give me THAT Russ.

Actually Rodgers had not had bad half seasons buy bad full seasons. Let me remind unit was just a few years ago people said he was done.

As to the rest of your post and the one after. All I cam say is you guys keep it blissful.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
John63":gbm5z1if said:
As to the rest of your post and the one after. All I cam say is you guys keep it blissful.

What a meaningful thing to say, John.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If our offensive game planning would quit handcuffing him for the first half it would be nice.
And yes Russ missed some easy throws early. That’s on him. They need to play call like they do in the 4th quarter.

This lets “feel them out for a half or 3 quarters” shit isn’t going to win you games against better team in the playoffs.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You're going to get the usual half to 3 quarters of stagnate play and thats why they will not win the Super Bowl. Happens every single year and I see no reason to believe it wont again.

themunn

Reaction score
We finished the season with games against the 1st, 2nd and 5th ranked defenses so it's no surprise we weren't overwhelming. However in all 3 games we did enough offensively to win.

Now we go back up against the Number 1 ranked defense, and barring an upset by Chicago, would be likely to play the Number 4 ranked defense of the Saints should we win, so we have a tough road ahead, but if our defense can keep the game tight on that side of the ball then I have every faith in our offense when the chips are down.

rcaido

Reaction score
Aros":r70y92rm said:

Rodgers has been inconsistent for 3 season straight...This was an MVP year for him, so the media starts worshipping him again.

2017 - 62% 16TD 6INT
2018 - Packers only got 6 wins
2019 - He had about 7to8 mediocre to below average games

Wilson had 4 or so bad games this season. Which resulted in the Seahawks losing...Rodgers can have mediocre/bad games and Packers were still able to win in 2019.

People can put up great numbers like Dak, Stafford, & Matt Ryan but they still lose games. Or what about Brees, he has put up some of the most godly seasons. Since Wilson arrived, he only made the playoffs 5 times and for 20year career only 10 times. Brees has had 4 losing records since Wilson and total of 8 non winning seasons. Wilson has never had a losing season. Should have made the playoff 9 for 9 if it weren't for our kicker. He has been probably the best over all QB last 5years.

uncle fester

Reaction score
themunn":psb457pi said:
We finished the season with games against the 1st, 2nd and 5th ranked defenses

Honestly didn't know that - though I would've assumed the Rams were up there somewhere. Interesting way of shedding light on recent performances.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
In Rodgers defense...it helps when you can have major input into the offensive scheming and actual plays on the field. He is allowed to play to his potential...russ was his first five games this year and then got handcuffed.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":1x87l20o said:

Rodgers doesn't get pressured much. When it comes consistently throughout a game he has a game like he did against Tampa. The problem is he only gets pressured a handful of times in most games and those come on the 2/3 bad drives during a game, not the entire game. Brady had the same luxury in NE. Russ has other issues that contribute, but it would be interesting to see what he'd look like with a truly stellar O-line.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3pkcuadm said:
In Rodgers defense...it helps when you can have major input into the offensive scheming and actual plays on the field. He is allowed to play to his potential...russ was his first five games this year and then got handcuffed.
Russell is great and I love him, but let's not pretend like anyone on this site actually knows whether or not he's being handcuffed or if he's handcuffing himself or a combination of both. Stating it as fact as people do on here just leads to the pissing matches about the offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
3 Consecutive touchdowns when it mattered in the 4th quarter. He's just fine.
Geezus, it never ends...…..same old same old...…
Speaking of getting ignored, typical ignoring that they WON, and he carried the team when it mattered.
But let's dwell on the negative.
12-4
NFC West Champs
4-2 in the division, when MANY acted like they would go 2-4
Swept the Niners
Playoff bound AGAIN on Saturday
Scored 20, 20 and 26 against 3 top ten defenses

5-5
Fire Pete and John
Trade Wags
Russ Sucks

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3r11awy5 said:
jamescasey1124":3r11awy5 said:
Russell is great and I love him, but let's not pretend like anyone on this site actually knows whether or not he's being handcuffed or if he's handcuffing himself or a combination of both. Stating it as fact as people do on here just leads to the pissing matches about the offense.

He is handcuffed. I know because there is no way the offense seems so inept up until they have to play and win the game. How would you explain several games, multiple games, going back several seasons where we play like we cant get anything going, but all the sudden 4th quarter we move successive drives consistently and commanding? Doesnt make sense. If they can do it then in the 4th...they can do it a whole game. They just dont. It's easy to see. For years upon years now. Even the last sb we went to. 2nd quarter against Pat's we move the ball down the field with ease and score with chris Matthew's less than 2 minutes left in the half. Then did it again to almost win the SB in jan 15 with a drive where kearse makes an amazing catch and we decide to throw them a pick instead of easy hand off.

They have done the same thing for years and ecspecially the last few games against rams and niners. Offense just turned on when it needed to.

I do know. Its plain to see.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Aros":uw61flmz said:

That's a good point, among your other good points...

I don't have a good answer other than Aaron Rodgers has a natural command of the game. He knows the routes, he hits the routes (usually)... there is not much to say in defense of Wilson. Aaron Rodgers does seem to be the best QB of all time so far in terms of precision and stats overall (highest passer rating, I think highest TD/interception ratio still too).

I will attempt to give...

OK i did a google search for the term I was looking for... but then I realized this is what I'm trying to say:

devil's advocate dĕv′əlz

n.
One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause or position

I heard a good point today on ESPN Radio (yikes they made a good point???I)... Aaron Rodgers has only reached 1 Superbowl.

That's a pretty amazing stat to me on paper...

If our team is more complete overall, and we don't make any serious mistakes.... I think the way Wilson played in this last game we can win as they say "Any Given Sunday".

I think we need a little more tight end play just get first downs easily... maybe Metcalf or Lockett can do it too. I would also like to see us be a little more aggressive in our secondary, just attack the ball not wait for tackle while giving them a free reception... I could be wrong about that attack the ball point, but if they are good players I think it's correct?

SrHeffe

Reaction score
I don’t think there is any doubt, Russell is being held in check for three quarters a game. It isn’t him, it is Pete. We are watching Pete Carroll football.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im a glass half full guy..... so with that said.

I think the playoffs line up for us better than they have in years.

Our offense is basically fully healthy. (Remember last year when we had to call beast mode and turbin to field a rb room?)

This year, Carson is at full speed - we've been working him back into the fold. Subbing him for Hyde and then last week Penney a ton. I fully expect Carson to get 20 plus carries Saturday.

Greg Olsen is back, while Dissly and Holister are good, having Greg back will only help.

Our Oline is back, Shell and Iupati are back, This will be only the 5th time all year we've had our full starting line up available.

We've seen the league adjust to our high flying DK and Lockett offense, we've seen what the adjustments need to be. I feel we're ready to fully unleash the offense.

Hammer a healthy Carson behind a healthy Oline to get the defense to play honest vs our PA pass game.

We are ready!!!!