Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Run game

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Run game yesterday
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm
  • I could be remembering through beer goggles, but I swore that we abandoned the run game in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. I wanted to verify this, but I can't seem to find a 'list of plays called' on the larger internet anywhere -

Do others think we abandoned the run in that stretch of the game? If so, why would we do that? Pete mentioned in the post game presser that Carson had to be rested 'cause some 'stuff' happened to him - but no timing? I was yelling 'run the ball' at the TV at one point.

And if anyone has a link to a list of plays, please pass it along.
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Run game
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm
  • Schotty and Russ just don't want to run the ball... 11 times for 27 yards in the first half.. Penny 4 carries for 15 yards and Carson 6 carries for 10 yards. Granted the niners were keying on the run... But in my mind you got to run it any way especially considering the fact that the Hawks are like undefeated with 0 turnovers (that stat is close )... you would think they would just pound the Niners between the tackles and loosen that D up....I am not qualified to second guess Schotty or Carroll but dang this seems like a no brainer...

Skip to the 3rd quarter...

Niners dominate

TOP 2:14 Hawks... Hawks get the ball twice, two three and outs... 2 carries for 3 yards...

Niners TOP 12:46

Skip to the 4th quarter

Niners TOP 5:22

Seahawks TOP 9:38

Seahawks run the ball 14 times for 94 yards score 3 TD and win the game...

I DON"T get it... why don't they want to run the ball? I'm certainly NOT qualified to second guess especially after the fact I just don't understand why they are not running the ball... Yeah the niners are keying on the run early but so what run it anyway and then take your shot down field when they get there chance in single coverage... a win is a win I'm not complaining but... I just don't understand...

thoughts?

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Run game yesterday
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm
  • ddores wrote:I could be remembering through beer goggles, but I swore that we abandoned the run game in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. I wanted to verify this, but I can't seem to find a 'list of plays called' on the larger internet anywhere -

Do others think we abandoned the run in that stretch of the game? If so, why would we do that? Pete mentioned in the post game presser that Carson had to be rested 'cause some 'stuff' happened to him - but no timing? I was yelling 'run the ball' at the TV at one point.

And if anyone has a link to a list of plays, please pass it along.

Yeah, I felt the same.

And it wasn’t even like they abandoned the run and Wilson lit them up.

That did not happen either.

Well, what can you do?
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Run game
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 pm
  • We have the horses to pound the rock. Clearly they are a much better, more balanced team when they can eat up clock with run game. Then Russ can do his thing. A run game is key in the playoffs. Last year we had 4th string running backs and an out of retirement Lynch for the playoffs. And STILL almost won the division and the game out in GB. This year is a completely different Running back group.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 pm
  • The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

Russ had the longest run of 16 yards somewhere in the 3rd to 4th quarter.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:27 pm
  • They do have to use it more successfully in order to make it further in the playoffs though.

Maybe switch to more power running instead of running one direction shotgun hand offs where the d knows your coming.

As a whole season...we have seen less singleback, I form, strong and weak formations. We dont even use a fullback but have him on the team. Where the hell is tukufu?
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:34 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

The only thing I can see and Im not an expert, is that the niners scheme changed after they got the lead they were off the corners playing soft ...if you look at my first post on this thread the Hawks ran 14 times for 94 yards in the 4th... that was a mistake by the niners scheme...schotty took advantage of them...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:37 pm
  • Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

It wasn't just the run game that wasn't working, but throwing like that helps nothing other than the other team. The trick is to avoid 3rd and long, not guarantee it.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:43 pm
  • Several early runs seemed really slow in developing even before the exchange. Really easy to read and stop. What I'm saying is it was no wonder they didn't work against a strong defense.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:44 pm
  • Um, they had 91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter.
    Like Sutz mentioned, there was a 3 incomplete pass drive in the 3rd quarter that was next level maddening.
    Run the f'ing rock.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:45 pm
  • sutz wrote:Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

It wasn't just the run game that wasn't working, but throwing like that helps nothing other than the other team. The trick is to avoid 3rd and long, not guarantee it.

I guess there is a certain logic to passing the ball if the OC feels running the ball is ineffective... I guess that makes sense... If it were me I would have just lined up with two TE sets and pounded them...that's why I'm not OC LMAO!!!!!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:47 pm
  • Game on the line, 91 yards rushing in the 4th quarter. That flat out can pound the rock. It's more if they actually CHOOSE to.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:47 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

When running up the middle doesn't work - I've liked the times they've used Carson as a receiver too on the outside behind the line and over the line on short passes - I don't have stats but I'm pretty sure YAC are much better with him versus other receivers - well, maybe not DK -

they could have worked around it IMO - and I agree with other posters, heading into the playoffs, gotta keep the other team honest with some run game even if it's not workinig -
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:50 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

The only thing I can see and Im not an expert, is that the niners scheme changed after they got the lead they were off the corners playing soft ...if you look at my first post on this thread the Hawks ran 14 times for 94 yards in the 4th... that was a mistake by the niners scheme...schotty took advantage of them...

LTH

Yeah yeah...I agree, but atleast 16 yards were Wilson's and I know carson had a few. Overall the run game as a whole was ineffective until the niners loosened up.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Um, they had 91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter.
    Like Sutz mentioned, there was a 3 incomplete pass drive in the 3rd quarter that was next level maddening.
    Run the f'ing rock.

"Early" meaning when they went 11 for 27.

4th quarter things obviously went better. I agree; need to run the f'ing rock.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm
  • Just feels like they abandon it too early sometimes. Or just flat out refuse to even try. Makes no sense.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• LTH wrote:
    sutz wrote:Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

I guess there is a certain logic to passing the ball if the OC feels running the ball is ineffective... I guess that makes sense... If it were me I would have just lined up with two TE sets and pounded them...that's why I'm not OC LMAO!!!!!

LTH

Yeah, I was kind of thinking we should do what the Giants did to us. Roll out the Jumbo Goal Line package and force the issue a bit. If nothing else, it burns off the clock better than 3 incomplete passes.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

I agree with this. Use more passing on first and second downs. Use the run to effectively show them we can change pace and munipulate their defensive scheme with our plays. Not just trying plays to see what works.
    3rd and longs are so frustrating. I think a better point to emphasize would be to gain another first in 2 downs instead of using three.
    Last edited by jamescasey1124 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm
  • ddores wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

When running up the middle doesn't work - I've liked the times they've used Carson as a receiver too on the outside behind the line and over the line on short passes - I don't have stats but I'm pretty sure YAC are much better with him versus other receivers - well, maybe not DK -

they could have worked around it IMO - and I agree with other posters, heading into the playoffs, gotta keep the other team honest with some run game even if it's not workinig -

Yes man. They seem to have forgotten throwing to your backs actually works. Aside the game Carson let one go through his hands and plunk him in the face mask. If they use him, penny and others on more swings and wheels...we will be largely successful at opening up the game. For recieving and running.
    Last edited by jamescasey1124 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm
  • 4 yards on a 1st down run changes every single series of downs. 2nd and 6, very doable. Incomplete pass, sitting at 2nd and 10? Not the best formula against a good defense.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    sutz wrote:Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

LTH

Yeah, I was kind of thinking we should do what the Giants did to us. Roll out the Jumbo Goal Line package and force the issue a bit. If nothing else, it burns off the clock better than 3 incomplete passes.

To me it's a no brainer...It feels like Schotty and Russ want to throw the ball it's who they are...I just keep thinking they are saving it for the playoffs... I know I'm wrong they don't save anything but that's the way it feels..

It could have had something to do with the O line being beat up as well...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    LTH wrote:

LTH

I LOVED it when they brought out Bellore and ran that sweep... that is exactly what needed to happen...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:4 yards on a 1st down run changes every single series of downs. 2nd and 6, very doable. Incomplete pass, sitting at 2nd and 10? Not the best formula against a good defense.

Unless you pass to success. Zero rbs catches, very minimum te usage equals wr are the only ones to cover.

I would go for it multiple times until I achieve success. So 2nd and 10 to me means another pass, but be smarter about using it. Dont just run the recievers on gos and post patterns.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm
  • Okay fact time

1st qtr

every series had at least 1 run or more
    we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs
    again no series without a run

3rg qtr
    3 runs
    again no series without at least one run

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

The Biggest difference between qtrs 1-3 and 4 were
    tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

thats not just about Wilson but the offense as whole
    In other words back to same old same old. play close to the vest keep it close and then try to win in the end.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 pm
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:
    ddores wrote:

Yes man. They seem to have forgotten throwing to your backs actually works. Aside the game Carson let one go through his hands and plunk him in the face mask. If they use him, penny and others on more swings and wheels...we will be largely successful at opening up the game. For recieving and running.

Getting those guys the ball out in space certainly feels right to me... I'm curious why they don't do more of that...especially with Penny..

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 pm
  • John63 wrote:Okay fact time

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

Would you share 'where' you went to compile this - maybe I'm just brain damaged on my google searches - can't seem to find it -
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:37 pm
  • 3 play stretch (as in 1st, 2nd and 3rd down) with consecutive incomplete passes. It def. happened. And didn't need to.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:52 pm
  • ddores wrote:
    John63 wrote:Okay fact time

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

Would you share 'where' you went to compile this - maybe I'm just brain damaged on my google searches - can't seem to find it -

I went to ESPN and went play by play
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:54 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:3 play stretch (as in 1st, 2nd and 3rd down) with consecutive incomplete passes. It def. happened. And didn't need to.

so basically you want not a series just a stretch of 3 plays were there were 2 incompletions in a row even if we got a 1st down.

Why not just say 1 incompletion in the first play of the game i mean really.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm
  • Okay lets make this easy we ran teh abll 27 times

Qtr 1 series 1 Notice run by carson puytting us in a hole

1st & 10 at SEA 25
    (15:00 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett pushed ob at SEA 30 for 5 yards (J.Verrett).

2nd & 5 at SEA 30
    (14:31 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett to SEA 35 for 5 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

1st & 10 at SEA 35
    (14:00 - 1st) C.Carson left end to SEA 33 for -2 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

2nd & 12 at SEA 33
    (13:18 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right.

3rd & 12 at SEA 33
    (13:10 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete to J.Hollister (A.Armstead).

4th & 12 at SEA 33
    (13:06 - 1st) M.Dickson punts 47 yards to SF 20, Center-T.Ott. R.Cracraft to SF 25 for 5 yards (C.Barton).

Series 2 again shor trun putting us in a whole

1st & 10 at SEA 17
    (10:51 - 1st) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 20 for 3 yards (F.Warner; D.Jones).

2nd & 7 at SEA 20
    (10:18 - 1st) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to D.Metcalf.

3rd & 7 at SEA 20
    (10:11 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to J.Hollister to SEA 26 for 6 yards (J.Ward).

4th & 1 at SEA 26
    (9:39 - 1st) M.Dickson punts 63 yards to SF 11, Center-T.Ott, fair catch by R.Cracraft.

Series 3 several runs and a FG

1st & 10 at SEA 32
    (6:36 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Penny up the middle to SEA 35 for 3 yards (D.Johnson; A.Barrett).

2nd & 7 at SEA 35
    (5:58 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett to SEA 43 for 8 yards (J.Verrett).

1st & 10 at SEA 43
    (5:38 - 1st) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Penny up the middle to 50 for 7 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

2nd & 3 at 50
    (5:01 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett to SF 48 for 2 yards (J.Verrett).

3rd & 1 at SF 48
    (4:20 - 1st) (Shotgun) C.Carson up the middle to SF 46 for 2 yards (F.Warner).

1st & 10 at SF 46
    (3:36 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to C.Carson pushed ob at SF 17 for 29 yards (J.Verrett) [A.Armstead]. Penalty on SF-J.Ward, Defensive Holding, declined.

1st & 10 at SF 17
    (3:06 - 1st) R.Penny up the middle to SF 17 for no gain (D.Jones; D.Johnson).

2nd & 10 at SF 17
    (2:26 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right.

3rd & 10 at SF 17
    (2:17 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to D.Metcalf.

4th & 10 at SF 17
    (2:09 - 1st) Jason Myers 36 Yd Field Goal

4th series starts Qtr1 and end sin qtr2 end sin FG
    1st & 10 at SEA 30
    (0:29 - 1st) C.Carson up the middle pushed ob at SEA 31 for 1 yard (J.Verrett).

END QUARTER 1

2nd & 9 at SEA 31
    (15:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to T.Lockett ran ob at SF 43 for 26 yards (J.Verrett).

1st & 10 at SF 43
    (14:24 - 2nd) C.Carson left end pushed ob at SF 39 for 4 yards (T.Moore).

2nd & 6 at SF 39
    (13:39 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to D.Metcalf to SF 34 for 5 yards (J.Verrett).

3rd & 1 at SF 34
    (13:01 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short middle to D.Metcalf to SF 30 for 4 yards (D.Johnson).

1st & 10 at SF 30
    (12:26 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Penny up the middle to SF 25 for 5 yards (K.Street).

2nd & 5 at SF 25
    (11:44 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to T.Lockett to SF 21 for 4 yards (F.Warner).

3rd & 1 at SF 21
    (11:02 - 2nd) C.Wheeler reported in as eligible. C.Carson up the middle to SF 19 for 2 yards (A.Armstead; J.Verrett).

1st & 10 at SF 19
    (10:18 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to D.Metcalf.

2nd & 10 at SF 19
    (10:14 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to T.Lockett pushed ob at SF 12 for 7 yards (A.Witherspoon).

3rd & 3 at SF 12
    (9:36 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left to T.Lockett.

4th & 3 at SF 12
    (9:27 - 2nd) Jason Myers 30 Yd Field Goal

sereis 2 2nd qtr 1 run by qb scramble
    1st & 10 at SEA 32
    (8:06 - 2nd) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left.

2nd & 10 at SEA 32
    (8:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles right end ran ob at SEA 34 for 2 yards (F.Warner).

3rd & 8 at SEA 34
    (7:21 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson sacked at SEA 23 for -11 yards (F.Warner).

4th & 19 at SEA 23
    (6:47 - 2nd) M.Dickson punts 61 yards to SF 16, Center-T.Ott. R.Cracraft to SF 21 for 5 yards (C.Barton).

3rd series 2nd qtr only 1 play
    1st & 10 at SEA 25
    (0:25 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SEA-T.Lockett, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 25 - No Play.

1st & 15 at SEA 20
    (0:25 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson sacked at SEA 9 for -11 yards (D.Johnson).

3rd qtr series 1
    1st & 10 at SEA 25
    (9:31 - 3rd) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 27 for 2 yards (A.Armstead).

2nd & 8 at SEA 27
    (8:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to W.Dissly.

3rd & 8 at SEA 27
    (8:45 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to D.Metcalf (A.Witherspoon).

4th & 8 at SEA 27
    (8:39 - 3rd) M.Dickson punts 43 yards to SF 30, Center-T.Ott. R.Cracraft to SEA 49 for 21 yards (M.Dickson).

Series 2 scramble run
    1st & 10 at SEA 25
    (6:19 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles right end to SEA 26 for 1 yard (A.Al-Shaair).

2nd & 9 at SEA 26
    (5:34 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep left to F.Swain.

(5:24 - 3rd) Timeout #1 by SEA at 05:24.

Series 1 4th qtr
    1st & 10 at SEA 25
    (14:21 - 4th) R.Wilson pass short middle to C.Carson to SEA 35 for 10 yards (F.Warner, A.Al-Shaair).

1st & 10 at SEA 35
    (13:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to T.Lockett ran ob at SEA 44 for 9 yards (F.Warner). PENALTY on SF-D.Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at SEA 44.

1st & 10 at SF 41
    (13:22 - 4th) C.Carson up the middle to SF 32 for 9 yards (T.Moore).

2nd & 1 at SF 32
    (12:47 - 4th) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett to SF 27 for 5 yards (J.Ward).

1st & 10 at SF 27
    (12:08 - 4th) R.Wilson pass short right to W.Dissly to SF 7 for 20 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

1st & Goal at SF 7
    (11:43 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Penny up the middle to SF 6 for 1 yard (D.Jones).

2nd & Goal at SF 6
    (11:10 - 4th) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right.

3rd & Goal at SF 6
    (10:54 - 4th) Tyler Lockett 6 Yd pass from Russell Wilson (Jason Myers PAT failed)

series 2
    1st & 10 at SEA 15
    (7:46 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to D.Metcalf to SEA 27 for 12 yards (J.Verrett).

1st & 10 at SEA 27
    (7:22 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 36 for 9 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

2nd & 1 at SEA 36
    (6:57 - 4th) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 36 for no gain (A.Al-Shaair).

2nd & 1 at SEA 36
    (6:57 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 41 for 5 yards (A.Al-Shaair).

1st & 10 at SEA 41
    (6:16 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles up the middle to SF 48 for 11 yards (D.Jones). SF-D.Jones was injured during the play.

1st & 10 at SF 48
    (5:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to T.Lockett pushed ob at SF 39 for 9 yards (T.Moore).

2nd & 1 at SF 39
    (5:19 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Penny up the middle to SF 36 for 3 yards (K.Street; D.Daniels). SEA-R.Penny was injured during the play.

1st & 10 at SF 36
    (4:42 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to T.Lockett.

2nd & 10 at SF 36
    (4:36 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson scrambles right end ran ob at SF 20 for 16 yards (F.Warner).

1st & 10 at SF 20
    (4:27 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Carson up the middle to SF 11 for 9 yards (T.Moore).

2nd & 1 at SF 11
    (3:45 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Collins left tackle to SF 10 for 1 yard (F.Warner).

1st & Goal at SF 10
    (3:24 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Collins up the middle to SF 4 for 6 yards (K.Street; F.Warner).

2nd & Goal at SF 4
    (2:38 - 4th) R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to J.Hollister.

(2:29 - 4th) Timeout #2 by SEA at 02:29.

3rd & Goal at SF 4
    (2:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left to D.Metcalf (A.Al-Shaair).

4th & Goal at SF 4
    (2:20 - 4th) Tyler Lockett Pass From Russell Wilson for 4 Yrds J.Myers extra point is GOOD, Center-T.Ott, Holder-M.Dickson.

series 3

1st & 10 at SF 17
    (2:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Collins up the middle to SF 11 for 6 yards (A.Al-Shaair; K.Hyder).

(2:00 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning

2nd & 4 at SF 11
    (2:00 - 4th) A.Collins left tackle to SF 3 for 8 yards (D.Flannigan-Fowles; J.Ward).

(1:54 - 4th) Timeout #1 by SF at 01:54.

1st & Goal at SF 3
    (1:54 - 4th) PENALTY on SEA-E.Pocic, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 3 - No Play.

1st & Goal at SF 8
    (1:49 - 4th) Alex Collins 8 Yard Rush J.Myers extra point is GOOD, Center-T.Ott, Holder-M.Dickson.

3rd & 9 at SEA 26
    (5:24 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep left to D.Metcalf.

4th & 9 at SEA 26
    (5:17 - 3rd) M.Dickson punts 52 yards to SF 22, Center-T.Ott. R.Cracraft to SF 27 for 5 yards (N.Bellore).

series 4 end of game

(0:23 - 4th) M.Wishnowsky kicks onside 9 yards from SF 35 to SF 44. N.Bellore (didn't try to advance) to SF 44 for no gain.

1st & 10 at SF 44
    (0:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short middle to D.Moore ran ob at SF 39 for 5 yards (J.Ward).

2nd & 5 at SF 39
    (0:18 - 4th) R.Wilson kneels to SF 40 for -1 yards.

So no series went without a run of some kind
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:19 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    ddores wrote:

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

I went to ESPN and went play by play

THANK YOU! found it
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:23 pm
  • What you are missing is the reason why Schotty started running the ball in the 4th its because the niners changed their scheme and started playing soft ... that's why they had so much success in the 4th...

Edit:

That and if you know about Carrolls history he is a disciple from Bill Walsh...So they have a list of plays that the team is very comfortable running and they run those plays in situations where the team needs to make a comeback... it's a total Bill Walsh thing... recently Montana was on Russ's podcast and he went through that theory... also in one of Pete's PC he talked about how he had long conversations with Walsh about that theory

LTH
    Last edited by LTH on Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:23 pm
  • John63 wrote:Okay fact time

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

3rg qtr
    3 runs

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

Personalty, I would not call a QB scramble a run play. Seems a bit dishonest. Sure, they will go down as a run play, but a run was not the intent.

The 1st possession in the 2nd Quarter had no run plays:
    1st play - incomplete pass
    2nd play - QB scramble for 2 yards.
    3rd play - QB sack.

The 2nd possesion in the 3rd Quarter also had no run plays:
    1st play - QB scramble for 1 yard
    2nd play - incomplete pass
    3rd play - incomplete pass.

tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

Now you seem to be just throwing words out there and hope they stick.

Tempo - Tempo did not change much throughout the game.
    Wilson running - Wilson had only 2 "rushes" (actually scrambles) that were of any significance. One for 11 yards and one for 16 yards. While they did extend the drive, they are not anything that made a huge shift in the game.
    Moving the pocket - Huh??? The pocket was moving the whole game because of breakdown in blocking.
    non-standard patterns - What the heck is this even? You will have to provide an example of these "non-standard patterns".
    way less predictable - again....Huh????
    more running lanes - and again.....HUH????

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

In other words back to same old same old. play close to the vest keep it close and then try to win in the end.

Not sure why you think RW was on a leash the 1st half. What exactly is a "leash"? RW was 11/19 in the 1st half and 9/17 in the 2nd half. Considering the 2 big scrambles were pass plays, it appears that RW had as many pass plays called in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

I'm not one to put all success or failure on RW's shoulders, but his accuracy and "some" decision makings do appear to be not as stellar as what we saw early in the season. This could be because of some minor injury RW is playing through, better defensive coverage, bad offensive line performance, or even bad luck. In any case, it seems like the execution by the offense as a whole appears to be off a little. It only takes a failure on the part of one players to cause an offense to stall on their drives. A coach can call a perfect game and have the best QB, but without all 11 players executing the play as they are suppose their skill does not matter.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm
  • Nunya wrote:Not sure why you think RW was on a leash the 1st half. What exactly is a "leash"? RW was 11/19 in the 1st half and 9/17 in the 2nd half. Considering the 2 big scrambles were pass plays, it appears that RW had as many pass plays called in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

Whether a QB is on a leash or not cannot be determined by ANY sort of common statistic, or even by watching the QB himself all that much. It's determined much more by watching by pre-snap formations, routes the WRs and TEs run regardless of who gets targeted, and what types of running plays are called.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:33 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Nunya wrote:Not sure why you think RW was on a leash the 1st half. What exactly is a "leash"? RW was 11/19 in the 1st half and 9/17 in the 2nd half. Considering the 2 big scrambles were pass plays, it appears that RW had as many pass plays called in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

Whether a QB is on a leash or not cannot be determined by ANY sort of common statistic, or even by watching the QB himself all that much. It's determined much more by watching by pre-snap formations, routes the WRs and TEs run regardless of who gets targeted, and what types of running plays are called.

not sure where you get your info from but your wrong...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:35 pm
  • I doubt anyone was complaining when Russ picked up a couple HUGE first downs with his legs, yet again. Like he has done his entire career while taking over in the 4th quarter.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 pm
  • Nunya wrote:

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

3rg qtr
    3 runs

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

Personalty, I would not call a QB scramble a run play. Seems a bit dishonest. Sure, they will go down as a run play, but a run was not the intent.

3rd play - QB sack.

tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

Wilson running - Wilson had only 2 "rushes" (actually scrambles) that were of any significance. One for 11 yards and one for 16 yards. While they did extend the drive, they are not anything that made a huge shift in the game.
    Moving the pocket - Huh??? The pocket was moving the whole game because of breakdown in blocking.
    non-standard patterns - What the heck is this even? You will have to provide an example of these "non-standard patterns".

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

Not sure why you think RW was on a leash the 1st half. What exactly is a "leash"? RW was 11/19 in the 1st half and 9/17 in the 2nd half. Considering the 2 big scrambles were pass plays, it appears that RW had as many pass plays called in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

I'm not one to put all success or failure on RW's shoulders, but his accuracy and "some" decision makings do appear to be not as stellar as what we saw early in the season. This could be because of some minor injury RW is playing through, better defensive coverage, bad offensive line performance, or even bad luck. In any case, it seems like the execution by the offense as a whole appears to be off a little. It only takes a failure on the part of one players to cause an offense to stall on their drives. A coach can call a perfect game and have the best QB, but without all 11 players executing the play as they are suppose their skill does not matter.

so now we are not calling a Qb running a run play,, hmm and yet they count in the rushing stats hmm
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Nunya wrote:Not sure why you think RW was on a leash the 1st half. What exactly is a "leash"? RW was 11/19 in the 1st half and 9/17 in the 2nd half. Considering the 2 big scrambles were pass plays, it appears that RW had as many pass plays called in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

Not quite following you.

If a good QB is only given a limited amount of pass plays, I would say THAT is putting them on a "leash".

However, NO NFL coach is going to design plays or routes that will intentionally hamper or hold back their QB. That is a ridiculous concept.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:48 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

which is what I did, it is obvious to almost anyone who wants to see the truth.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:49 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I doubt anyone was complaining when Russ picked up a couple HUGE first downs with his legs, yet again. Like he has done his entire career while taking over in the 4th quarter.

did you read according to some they dont count!!
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:50 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

3rg qtr
    3 runs

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

3rd play - QB sack.

tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

so now we are not calling a Qb running a run play,, hmm and yet they count in the rushing stats hmm

A QB scramble is NOT a run play....though it will be recorded as such. RW did not run any design run play that I remember. When discussing the number of run plays called vs the number of pass plays, to say a called pass play was a run play just because the QB had to run for their life is a bit dishonest.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

3rg qtr
    3 runs

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

3rd play - QB sack.

tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

A QB scramble is NOT a run play....though it will be recorded as such. RW did not run any design run play that I remember. When discussing the number of run plays called vs the number of pass plays, to say a called pass play was a run play just because the QB had to run for their life is a bit dishonest.

It's not really a designed play but it is part of trying to keep the D on it's heels its a tempo thing ...It is one of the options that Russ has on the designed play...Schotty knows Russ is going to take off when the opportunity arises just to keep the D off balance... so it is kind of a designed thing in that capacity...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:08 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:

3rd play - QB sack.

It's not really a designed play but it is part of trying to keep the D on it's heels its a tempo thing ...It is one of the options that Russ has on the designed play...Schotty knows Russ is going to take off when the opportunity arises just to keep the D off balance... so it is kind of a designed thing in that capacity...

LTH

RW has that option on EVERY pass play. Unless someone is claiming that he is told not to scramble in the 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd quarter and is told to only scramble in the 4th quarter, it is a moot point.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:12 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:

1st qtr

we ran the ball 7 times

2nd qtr
    3 runs

3rg qtr
    3 runs

4th qtr
    14 rushes
    no series without a run

3rd play - QB sack.

tempo
    Wilson running
    moving the pocket
    non-standard patterns
    way less predictable
    more run lanes

summation

qtr 1-3 on a lease
    4th qtr off the lease

how do you know the intent was not to run? you dont, there were at least 1 I can think of where he hit his back foot and then ran immediately.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 pm
  • John63 wrote:how do you know the intent was not to run? you dont, there were at least 1 I can think of where he hit his back foot and then ran immediately.

Easy. Watch the O-Line. If they push forward, it is a design run play. If they hold the line or even drop back, it is a pass play.

Bring up the play you are talking about and we can discuss, but I doubt it was intended that RW scramble from the start.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm
  • Carson/Hyde/Penny/Collins. Yes please.
    These guys can pound the crap out of the ball, eat up clock and keep the Rams offense on the sidelines.
    They start loading the box, sling it. Plus, they just held them to 3 field goals. The Rams, not a single touchdown.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm
  • Some of the stuff in here..You'd have thought we lost..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:52 pm
  • I think I've said that to myself 12 times this season 8)
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:57 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:how do you know the intent was not to run? you dont, there were at least 1 I can think of where he hit his back foot and then ran immediately.

Easy. Watch the O-Line. If they push forward, it is a design run play. If they hold the line or even drop back, it is a pass play.

Bring up the play you are talking about and we can discuss, but I doubt it was intended that RW scramble from the start.

not true at all. with the advent of running QBs often times oline will act like they are pass blocking so as not to give away it's a run, and the QB picks the best place to run.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:07 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:how do you know the intent was not to run? you dont, there were at least 1 I can think of where he hit his back foot and then ran immediately.

not true at all. with the advent of running QBs often times oline will act like they are pass blocking so as not to give away it's a run, and the QB picks the best place to run.

Not on a design QB run they don't. They may not push forward immediately, but they do not drop into a pocket protect....especially if the QB is going to start his run once his back foot hits the ground as you claim happened. On QB draws, the OLine normally holds in place for a 2-3 count and then releases. Also, you will also often see the RB run through the hole first if the backfield isn't empty.

Honestly though, do you really believe the play you are talking about was a design QB run???
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information