Run game

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I could be remembering through beer goggles, but I swore that we abandoned the run game in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. I wanted to verify this, but I can't seem to find a 'list of plays called' on the larger internet anywhere -

Do others think we abandoned the run in that stretch of the game? If so, why would we do that? Pete mentioned in the post game presser that Carson had to be rested 'cause some 'stuff' happened to him - but no timing? I was yelling 'run the ball' at the TV at one point.

And if anyone has a link to a list of plays, please pass it along.

LTH

Reaction score
Schotty and Russ just don't want to run the ball... 11 times for 27 yards in the first half.. Penny 4 carries for 15 yards and Carson 6 carries for 10 yards. Granted the niners were keying on the run... But in my mind you got to run it any way especially considering the fact that the Hawks are like undefeated with 0 turnovers (that stat is close )... you would think they would just pound the Niners between the tackles and loosen that D up....I am not qualified to second guess Schotty or Carroll but dang this seems like a no brainer...

Skip to the 3rd quarter...

Niners dominate

TOP 2:14 Hawks... Hawks get the ball twice, two three and outs... 2 carries for 3 yards...

Niners TOP 12:46

Skip to the 4th quarter

Niners TOP 5:22

Seahawks TOP 9:38

Seahawks run the ball 14 times for 94 yards score 3 TD and win the game...

I DON"T get it... why don't they want to run the ball? I'm certainly NOT qualified to second guess especially after the fact I just don't understand why they are not running the ball... Yeah the niners are keying on the run early but so what run it anyway and then take your shot down field when they get there chance in single coverage... a win is a win I'm not complaining but... I just don't understand...

thoughts?

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ddores":1qk3qca3 said:
I could be remembering through beer goggles, but I swore that we abandoned the run game in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday. I wanted to verify this, but I can't seem to find a 'list of plays called' on the larger internet anywhere -

Do others think we abandoned the run in that stretch of the game? If so, why would we do that? Pete mentioned in the post game presser that Carson had to be rested 'cause some 'stuff' happened to him - but no timing? I was yelling 'run the ball' at the TV at one point.

And if anyone has a link to a list of plays, please pass it along.
Yeah, I felt the same.

And it wasn’t even like they abandoned the run and Wilson lit them up.

That did not happen either.

Well, what can you do?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We have the horses to pound the rock. Clearly they are a much better, more balanced team when they can eat up clock with run game. Then Russ can do his thing. A run game is key in the playoffs. Last year we had 4th string running backs and an out of retirement Lynch for the playoffs. And STILL almost won the division and the game out in GB. This year is a completely different Running back group.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

Russ had the longest run of 16 yards somewhere in the 3rd to 4th quarter.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
They do have to use it more successfully in order to make it further in the playoffs though.

Maybe switch to more power running instead of running one direction shotgun hand offs where the d knows your coming.

As a whole season...we have seen less singleback, I form, strong and weak formations. We dont even use a fullback but have him on the team. Where the hell is tukufu?

LTH

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3cp1kvfd said:
The run game as a whole was not effective. Few five yarders here and there, but Carson mostly got met in the hole.

The only thing I can see and Im not an expert, is that the niners scheme changed after they got the lead they were off the corners playing soft ...if you look at my first post on this thread the Hawks ran 14 times for 94 yards in the 4th... that was a mistake by the niners scheme...schotty took advantage of them...

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, there were several series where we went pass, pass, pass, punt.

It wasn't just the run game that wasn't working, but throwing like that helps nothing other than the other team. The trick is to avoid 3rd and long, not guarantee it.

:34853_doh:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Several early runs seemed really slow in developing even before the exchange. Really easy to read and stop. What I'm saying is it was no wonder they didn't work against a strong defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, they had 91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter.
Like Sutz mentioned, there was a 3 incomplete pass drive in the 3rd quarter that was next level maddening.
Run the f'ing rock.

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":10gw16k9 said:

It wasn't just the run game that wasn't working, but throwing like that helps nothing other than the other team. The trick is to avoid 3rd and long, not guarantee it.

I guess there is a certain logic to passing the ball if the OC feels running the ball is ineffective... I guess that makes sense... If it were me I would have just lined up with two TE sets and pounded them...that's why I'm not OC LMAO!!!!!

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Game on the line, 91 yards rushing in the 4th quarter. That flat out can pound the rock. It's more if they actually CHOOSE to.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":681f43d8 said:

When running up the middle doesn't work - I've liked the times they've used Carson as a receiver too on the outside behind the line and over the line on short passes - I don't have stats but I'm pretty sure YAC are much better with him versus other receivers - well, maybe not DK -

they could have worked around it IMO - and I agree with other posters, heading into the playoffs, gotta keep the other team honest with some run game even if it's not workinig -

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
LTH":4idwi6gf said:
jamescasey1124":4idwi6gf said:

The only thing I can see and Im not an expert, is that the niners scheme changed after they got the lead they were off the corners playing soft ...if you look at my first post on this thread the Hawks ran 14 times for 94 yards in the 4th... that was a mistake by the niners scheme...schotty took advantage of them...

LTH

Yeah yeah...I agree, but atleast 16 yards were Wilson's and I know carson had a few. Overall the run game as a whole was ineffective until the niners loosened up.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2sleqrit said:
Um, they had 91 rushing yards in the 4th quarter.
Like Sutz mentioned, there was a 3 incomplete pass drive in the 3rd quarter that was next level maddening.
Run the f'ing rock.

"Early" meaning when they went 11 for 27.

4th quarter things obviously went better. I agree; need to run the f'ing rock.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just feels like they abandon it too early sometimes. Or just flat out refuse to even try. Makes no sense.

sutz

Reaction score
LTH":jzciuad0 said:
sutz":jzciuad0 said:

I guess there is a certain logic to passing the ball if the OC feels running the ball is ineffective... I guess that makes sense... If it were me I would have just lined up with two TE sets and pounded them...that's why I'm not OC LMAO!!!!!

LTH
Yeah, I was kind of thinking we should do what the Giants did to us. Roll out the Jumbo Goal Line package and force the issue a bit. If nothing else, it burns off the clock better than 3 incomplete passes.

:229031_shrug:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
sutz":1zel1jiy said:

I agree with this. Use more passing on first and second downs. Use the run to effectively show them we can change pace and munipulate their defensive scheme with our plays. Not just trying plays to see what works.
3rd and longs are so frustrating. I think a better point to emphasize would be to gain another first in 2 downs instead of using three.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
ddores":1hpq87zq said:
jamescasey1124":1hpq87zq said:

When running up the middle doesn't work - I've liked the times they've used Carson as a receiver too on the outside behind the line and over the line on short passes - I don't have stats but I'm pretty sure YAC are much better with him versus other receivers - well, maybe not DK -

they could have worked around it IMO - and I agree with other posters, heading into the playoffs, gotta keep the other team honest with some run game even if it's not workinig -

Yes man. They seem to have forgotten throwing to your backs actually works. Aside the game Carson let one go through his hands and plunk him in the face mask. If they use him, penny and others on more swings and wheels...we will be largely successful at opening up the game. For recieving and running.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
4 yards on a 1st down run changes every single series of downs. 2nd and 6, very doable. Incomplete pass, sitting at 2nd and 10? Not the best formula against a good defense.