Playoff Opponents

Polaris

Reaction score
Everyone,

With the new playoff format this year, I think it's worthwhile to know who Seattle can, is likely to, and can not face provided we win our first playoff game for next round and the round after that. The old system no longer works.

1) Seattle as the three seed can not face Green Bay in round two. That is because provided Seattle wins, Seattle will automatically have a higher seed than the Washington/Tampa Winner. If the Bears win, they will automatically be the lowest seed and they would face Green Bay. If the Saints win, then the winner of Washington/Tampa would be the lowest seed and they would face Green Bay.

2) Given the disparity of teams, Seattle's most likely round two opponent is New Orleans at New Orleans. That is because to be frank New Orleans is a much better team than Chicago.

3) If the Bears somehow do win, then given the disparity of teams, Seattle's next most likely opponent would be Tampa and that would be played in Seattle.

4) Least likely would be the Washington Football team, but if that happened that too would be played in Seattle.

The upshot is that Seatlle's most likely path is the Rams at Seattle, then New Orleans at New Orleans, and then Green Bay at Green Bay.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Polaris":15490yz1 said:
Everyone,

With the new playoff format this year, I think it's worthwhile to know who Seattle can, is likely to, and can not face provided we win our first playoff game for next round and the round after that. The old system no longer works.

1) Seattle as the three seed can not face Green Bay in round two. That is because provided Seattle wins, Seattle will automatically have a higher seed than the Washington/Tampa Winner. If the Bears win, they will automatically be the lowest seed and they would face Green Bay. If the Saints win, then the winner of Washington/Tampa would be the lowest seed and they would face Green Bay.

2) Given the disparity of teams, Seattle's most likely round two opponent is New Orleans at New Orleans. That is because to be frank New Orleans is a much better team than Chicago.

3) If the Bears somehow do win, then given the disparity of teams, Seattle's next most likely opponent would be Tampa and that would be played in Seattle.

4) Least likely would be the Washington Football team, but if that happened that too would be played in Seattle.

The upshot is that Seatlle's most likely path is the Rams at Seattle, then New Orleans at New Orleans, and then Green Bay at Green Bay.

Everything here is correct...assuming all the favorites win every game. Funny thing about the playoffs, it's much more likely for there to be a few upsets, especially on wildcard weekend, so although that is the odds on favorite for how it should go, it may very well go differently.

We could also flip it on it's ear and see what happens if Seattle is the only favorite to win their games on the NFC Side. That would look like this

WILDCARD ROUND
Seahawks vs. Rams (Seahawks win)
Bucs vs WFT (WFT wins)
Bears vs Saints (Bears win)

DIVISIONAL ROUND
Seahawks vs WFT (Seahawks win)
Bears vs Packers (Bears win)

NFC Champtionship
Bears at Seahawks (Seahawks win)

Obviously picking the favorites is more likely, but picking underdogs gets us an easier path :3-1:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I was just going to post about the playoff format. Turns out all the hemming and hawwing about not having 2 first round byes was unnecessary and the format actually could help us. New Orleans got the 2 seed, and is the team that loses out on the bye. If we beat the Rams the most likely next game for us would be @NO who in previous years would be coming off a bye. Now they have to slug it out with a tough minded Bears team.

El Caliente

Reaction score
Having seen the Saints exit the playoffs against the Vikes in 2 of the last 3 years (I’m not counting the Rams game for reasons) I am cautiously optimistic about them beating the Bears. The Bears have been hot recently, but man, they were very disappointing in that Packers game. That said, I do hope we can face each other in the 2nd round. Not that it would be an easy game for either of us, but it would be a great game.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
El Caliente":rvqrgsya said:
Having seen the Saints exit the playoffs against the Vikes in 2 of the last 3 years (I’m not counting the Rams game for reasons) I am cautiously optimistic about them beating the Bears. The Bears have been hot recently, but man, they were very disappointing in that Packers game. That said, I do hope we can face each other in the 2nd round. Not that it would be an easy game for either of us, but it would be a great game.

Well certainly, this is the playoffs now. No game is a given. I just wanted to show everyone how the seeding worked out in the new playoff format from a Seahawks perspective of course.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
El Caliente":25xbg1tf said:

I agree that should both teams win...It will be a great game.