why the Hawks so successful in the 4th quarter

LTH

Reaction score
This is not a new thing... the one game that jumps out at me was the NFC championship game against GB i think it was the year they lost the SB... the Hawks sucked the whole game until the end then all of a sudden they came to life and won the game in the 4th..
\
This is actually a Bill Walsh thing Carroll stole from him... Carroll recently talked about this after the win against the Rams.. also Russ and Montana talked about this on Russ's podcast..

They have a large list of plays that they run in which the team is good at and can run in there sleep...

This was very evident in the win against the Niners... Russ is a lot like Montana in that his management of the game is so efficient in a come back effort.

It's amazing the affect bill walsh has in the NFL Now Schotty is on board with it..

Teams make a huge mistake when they play the Hawks soft... as per the Niner game russ just ate them up and then when they tried to go back to the scheme that worked the Hawks were on that list and had the momentum... to late game over...

thie other part I forgot to mention is that it's the 2 min O and its all based around that list but the thing that makes it work so well is because it's tempo based... get the D on its heels and run those plays the O knows so well... that why in the past you hear Holmgren alway preaching tempo... The Rams do it as well very well...

Thoughts?

LTH

cymatica

Reaction score
Assuming you are correct; I would say the plays you can run in your sleep should be sprinkled throughout your normal offense.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
cymatica":19admpj3 said:
Assuming you are correct; I would say the plays you can run in your sleep should be sprinkled throughout your normal offense.

They are...

LTH

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
LTH":3692s83k said:
This is not a new thing... the one game that jumps out at me was the NFC championship game against GB i think it was the year they lost the SB... the Hawks sucked the whole game until the end then all of a sudden they came to life and won the game in the 4th..
\
This is actually a Bill Walsh thing Carroll stole from him... Carroll recently talked about this after the win against the Rams.. also Russ and Montana talked about this on Russ's podcast..

They have a large list of plays that they run in which the team is good at and can run in there sleep...

This was very evident in the win against the Niners... Russ is a lot like Montana in that his management of the game is so efficient in a come back effort.

It's amazing the affect bill walsh has in the NFL Now Schotty is on board with it..

Teams make a huge mistake when they play the Hawks soft... as per the Niner game russ just ate them up and then when they tried to go back to the scheme that worked the Hawks were on that list and had the momentum... to late game over...

thie other part I forgot to mention is that it's the 2 min O and its all based around that list but the thing that makes it work so well is because it's tempo based... get the D on its heels and run those plays the O knows so well... that why in the past you hear Holmgren alway preaching tempo... The Rams do it as well very well...

Thoughts?

LTH

I could agree, but that game was far different. It wasnt that they couldnt move the ball and had a ton of three and outs on offense. There were many turnovers. Atleast four interceptions. 2 off of kearses hands to defenders. That's why it was so big that kearse caught the game winning td. But the offense was moving the ball. Just got caught in many turnovers and rodgers was playing a decent enough game against the LOB.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I feel like the 4th quarter thing has only be around a few years. It seemed to be more prevalent in games once we were missing at least two of the four original lob. I mean once we lost our defense. I would say somewhere in the 2016-2017 to 2018 years. Its definitely been going on some time, but I remember low scoring games which both teams were going at it and being ultra competitive the entire game. Not just the 4th quarter. For sure the last two seasons..I am certain about that.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":11r9f59p said:
I feel like the 4th quarter thing has only be around a few years. It seemed to be more prevalent in games once we were missing at least two of the four original lob. I mean once we lost our defense. I would say somewhere in the 2016-2017 to 2018 years. Its definitely been going on some time, but I remember low scoring games which both teams were going at it and being ultra competitive the entire game. Not just the 4th quarter. For sure the last two seasons..I am certain about that.

actually its been around Wilsons whole career

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... r=WilsRu00

edit: for my sucky spelling

LTH

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
LTH":kmamtd1y said:
jamescasey1124":kmamtd1y said:

LTH

Maybe game to game here an there, but not consecutively every game in a row. Couldn't be.

I remember the game against the Patriots in 2012. Where russ lit em up before the half. That's when everybody legitimately said russ was good to go. It was like the fifth game of his rookie season.

hawk45

Reaction score
The 4th quarter thing had been around forever, and more pronounced in the past because we had to go even more conservative in games behind a Cable line. Also, the detriment of going conservative was less with the LOB.

AgentDib

Reaction score
LTH":3aelu636 said:

I might not be following your argument here, but 24 wins where we started the 4th quarter trailing doesn't seem particularly remarkable to me, if we also consider that Russ has been a top 5 QB in that same timeframe with 98 wins overall. 25% seems like a normal amount to me. Would you expect less than that, and if so, why?

The Hawks have typically been good in the 4th quarter because they have been good overall.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
LTH":3s7w0gvt said:
jamescasey1124":3s7w0gvt said:

LTH

Also this does nothing to prove we waited to the third or 4th quarter to win. Many of those games had inter changing leads, we lead the whole time until late and games we actually came from behind exclusively in the 4th quarter. Those just show game winning drives. Which yes...wilson is a leader in that category.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I could think of one big reason they are successful in the 4th. But, I'm done going down that road......

getnasty

Reaction score
Here are the numbers by quarter for 2020. Looks pretty middle of the road with the exception of us being 1st in the NFL in 3rd quarter scoring. Always defeering probably skews the numbers a bit eventhough i think that's what most teams do.

1st quarter scoring- 5.4 (14th in NFL)
2nd quarter scoring- 8.0 (15th in NFL)
3rd quarter scoring- 7.4 (1st in NFL)
4th quarter scoring- 7.9 (11th in NFL)

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":1ustzmeg said:
Cause that's the only time you can win the game, or so I'm told.

While not exactly in-depth analysis, this may be the definitive answer. :2thumbs:

hawker84

Reaction score
LTH":3p03l0xo said:
jamescasey1124":3p03l0xo said:

LTH

Yep

samwize77

Reaction score
If it weren’t for the successful onside kick in the GB game there would have been no comeback.
Just sayin......

But what a comeback huh??????!!!!!!!!........lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Down 16 with less than 5 minutes left in that NFC Championship.
And who was on the sidelines telling EVERYONE they were going to win? The most underappreciated player on this team, by many. VERY few in history could have pulled off that comeback.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37ryk2z3 said:
Down 16 with less than 5 minutes left in that NFC Championship.
And who was on the sidelines telling EVERYONE they were going to win? The most underappreciated player on this team, by many. VERY few in history could have pulled off that comeback.

I would NEVER bet against Russ... anybody that does is a fool...The only thing he knows is how to win...if its not obvious at this point I don't even know what to say other than I'll take your money!

LTH

ZagHawk

Reaction score
LTH":1318scoy said:

LTH

I agree with you here. This is what has allowed the Hawks to make so many comebacks because teams go into prevent D and you see RW thriving against teams that make conventional/safe gameplans. That being said there are some teams (especially ones with good defenses) that don't take their foot of the pedal and when RW now needs to go in god mode against a team continuing to blitz him when he needs time for big plays to develop. He's then is gettingng sacked, stripped or throwing an Interception to seal the fate of the game. The Rams are one of those teams that are NOT going to go in soft mode if they take the lead going into the 4th. I am very intrigued to see this Seahawks 2021 playoff team and how they move forward. If it's the same stuff we have seen the past few years which was very run dominate keep the game close and try to do heroics in the end. It could end up very poorly (especially against GB if they make it that far).

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
ZagHawk":25x8l5kh said:
LTH":25x8l5kh said:

LTH

I agree with you here. This is what has allowed the Hawks to make so many comebacks because teams go into prevent D and you see RW thriving against teams that make conventional/safe gameplans. That being said there are some teams (especially ones with good defenses) that don't take their foot of the pedal and when RW now needs to go in god mode against a team continuing to blitz him when he needs time for big plays to develop. He's then is gettingng sacked, stripped or throwing an Interception to seal the fate of the game. The Rams are one of those teams that are NOT going to go in soft mode if they take the lead going into the 4th. I am very intrigued to see this Seahawks 2021 playoff team and how they move forward. If it's the same stuff we have seen the past few years which was very run dominate keep the game close and try to do heroics in the end. It could end up very poorly (especially against GB if they make it that far).

You might agree with me but you completely missed the point of the post...

LTH