"We want the ball" Anniversary

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jan. 4, 2004
It seems easier now to look back at this and laugh. It was pretty harsh at the time, but I think Hass was quickly forgiven by most fans.

[youtube]vAgG9XcrDFY[/youtube]

sdog1981

Reaction score
Man, a completely different time. Those years I would know the team would always lose 10 am kickoffs and always lose after the bye week and I would just HOPE the team could hold on for a Wild Card birth.

2003 was a fun season the team started 3-0 beat the 12-4 Rams team heading into the bye week and us 12s were cautiously optimistic that the team could host its first playoff game in Quest. This season also had the 34-7 7-34 games back to back. They beat the Browns 34-7 then lost to Moss's Vikings 34-7, Moss had two TDs over 40 yards.

After starting 5-1 they finished 5-5 and set up this game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Wow it's been 17 years already?!

Man, time flies. That was a very sad moment

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Were going to take down the field and score!!!!

Bam interception and return td al harris. Dude I was heartbroken.

renofox

Reaction score
I remember hearing that INT was due to Bannister(?) running the wrong route. Anybody know for sure?

TraderGary

Reaction score
renofox":33f4oo9p said:
I remember hearing that INT was due to Bannister(?) running the wrong route. Anybody know for sure?
Heard or read the same thing.

I actually loved the bravado Hass showed during that coin flip. I still think it's funny as hell, although the ensuing interception definitely took the smile off my face. That was very painful and still is to this day.

I don't believe Hass was planning to say that, I think he just got caught up in the moment. We had all the momentum at the time and I really thought we were going to win. Obviously so did he. I loved it and still do. Hass is still one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. He was a very solid QB for us, and I loved his competitive fire. He was also a very good leader on and off the field.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
TraderGary":1kaomcbe said:
renofox":1kaomcbe said:

I actually loved the bravado Hass showed during that coin flip. I still think it's funny as hell, although the ensuing interception definitely took the smile off my face. That was very painful and still is to this day.

I don't believe Hass was planning to say that, I think he just got caught up in the moment. We had all the momentum at the time and I really thought we were going to win. Obviously so did he. I loved it and still do. Hass is still one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. He was a very solid QB for us, and I loved his competitive fire. He was also a very good leader on and off the field.

:ditto: Hasselbeck was someone you loved to root for. I was pumped when he said what he said at the coin toss. If we really did go down and score (back then you only needed the field goal) he would've gone down a legend.

FPD

Reaction score
We want the ball and they're gonna score!

Err, mmmm, wait...that's not right. 8)

TraderGary

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3fs5j8yb said:
TraderGary":3fs5j8yb said:
renofox":3fs5j8yb said:

:ditto: Hasselbeck was someone you loved to root for. I was pumped when he said what he said at the coin toss. If we really did go down and score (back then you only needed the field goal) he would've gone down a legend.
Yep I agree on all the above

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, he did through a game winning touchdown...

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Jerhawk":3eocfk9k said:
TraderGary":3eocfk9k said:
renofox":3eocfk9k said:

I loved it when he said it. Two plays (?) later I just sat staring slack jawed at my screen shaking my head. I've never forgiven him for that one. Hate reliving that moment.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was fantastic, I STILL love it after all these years (holy hell has it really been 17 years???), just not the outcome of course, that sucked. Hasselbeck remains one of my all-time favorite Seahawks...Great leader, fantastic personality, great sense of humor and was a very good quarterback for us. Hass said he was just teasing Favre, a friend, and didn't realize the mic was going to pick up his comment for all to hear. Regardless, loved the bravado in that moment and wouldn't change it for anything regardless of the way the game ended.

As for "the play" I remember Hass saying that Bannister was supposed to run a shorter hitch or curl route. Hass threw the ball where he expected Bannister to be but Bannister instead ran it a yard or two deeper than expected which allowed Harris to make the easy Pick 6 for the win. He wasn't trying to throw Alex under the bus at all, just explaining what had happened on the play. At least that is my recollection.

The game, despite the loss, signaled this team had turned a corner and that more wins than losses would be the norm moving forward and for the most part that has remained true to this day.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
100% WRONG ROUTE!!!!! I Hass was ON FIRE, were were going to score but that shit happens when your 3rd WR is a complete scrub.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Amazing game, crap ending of course. I put it a lot more on the receiver on that play. Lazy route and zero effort to break it up. And let's be honest, not a good play call in that situation at all.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":12pvifu5 said:
100% WRONG ROUTE!!!!! I Hass was ON FIRE, were were going to score but that $h!t happens when your 3rd WR is a complete scrub.

Bobby Engram was not a scrub.

Funny thing that this pick and the pick in SB 49 were both targeted at special teams players.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Good point sdog.

17 years later and I still can't figure out why we were going to Alex Bannister there. He was a pro bowl punt gunner (just like Ricardo Lockette) but that ball needed to go to DJack, Engram, or Robinson. Head scratching

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Man we have it so much better now.

I remember after that game thinking in almost an excited manner that it was somehow an achievement that the Seahawks ALMOST won a playoff game.

Now we have fans who are pre-depressed for the playoffs because they are sure that the Seahawks will go "one and done" which apparently means they'll win the first game but lose the second one.

Plus I got old. I was a pretty good Tony Hawk Pro Skater player back then.