Sean McVay supposedly 'owning' the Hawks.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I think that's a bit of a myth. It is true that he handed Pete his worst loss as head coach of the Hawks, however, that was a team down both Sherm and Kam, with no serious run threat (Russ was our leading rusher), and Bobby hobbled by injury, not to mention a hungry young Rams team looking for payback. I also know we weren't very competitive offensively in the rematch in LA last year, but 28-12 is not a blowout. Plus, the Hawks are 3-5 against McVay, with 5 of the games being within one score (13-10 Hawks, 33-31 Rams, 36-31 Rams, 30-29 Hawks, 23-16 Rams), and the best version of McVay's Rams, the 2018 team, only outscored us by a combined touchdown in 2 games.

Fearing the Rams is how we lose. We can take them again. Let's do this!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Sean McVay is a very good play-caller, and we can expect some smart moves, they have weapons. But with one QB coming out of thumb surgery on his throwing hand, and another with a whopping one start in the NFL, he doesn't have a lot to work with this week.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I was REALLY excited to see how we played them 2 weeks ago. Our outside linebackers KJ and Brookes played LIGHTS out vs the Rams outside run game (both backs and WR's) If we can take that away again I am confident we can get off the field and get the ball back to Russ.

Own The West

Reaction score
I've had this crazy notion that the reason we've been so pass heavy this season is so we'd have fresh backs come the post-season. If you count Russ' 83 rushing attempts as failed passes, we've been 2:1 pass/run. Now that's it's here, I'm hoping to see Carson et al with 25+ touches per game as we start pounding people through the playoffs.

Mase

Reaction score
-- McVay's team has been up while we were rebuilding on the fly. At their strongest, we were in full reload. All I would say is that even though they have the shortest name in the league, they still couldn't score as many points in a Super Bowl as letters in that name.

-- But as to Saturday. Norton will have to come up with a second pitch. The game plan against their bootlegs was great, but it is a risky plan against a good running back. That is why they struggled so much when Akers went down. With him back, and assuming Goff plays, we need to watch the inside run. If the new kid plays QB, his mobility changes the whole dynamic. They will wait as long as they can before committing to who their QB will be.

-- The maturation of Brooks is actually huge to defending the Rams. Their use of 3 wides, or two TEs, means your 3rd LB better be fast, or your 5th DB better be big. Ugo is not big, but Brooks is very fast. Should be a good game, neither team is built to blow the other out. Nail biter as usual.

Mase

ZagHawk

Reaction score
We need to stop pretending like losing within one score at the end means it was a close game. How many games have we seen the Hawks down 2-3 scores almost the entire 4th quarter and suddenly make 1-2 more scores in essentially garbage time against a prevent D to pull within one score but still need some miracle on-side kick recover and score in 20 seconds to win. I guarantee if you go back to every single one of those one score games probably 3/4s of those games were firmly out of the Hawks reach and those final 1-2 scores to pull within a score...were garbage time.

BTW...I don't think so much it's McVay who owns the Hawks, but the Rams D-line which has been good since before McVay has essentially been RWs Kryptonite. Everyone who has been watching the Rams-Seahakws games know they are truly the most difficult match up for the Hawks year after year just because for whatever reason they shut down RW and in general force RW to make mistakes. The last game they played did not look like that, but the last game they played also was not how their games typically look.

The Hawks are not afraid of the Rams, but they sure as hell better continue to be creative with their gameplan because when they stick with what works against all the other teams it does NOT against the Rams.

LTH

Reaction score
Maulbert":293ld8ve said:
I think that's a bit of a myth. It is true that he handed Pete his worst loss as head coach of the Hawks, however, that was a team down both Sherm and Kam, with no serious run threat (Russ was our leading rusher), and Bobby hobbled by injury, not to mention a hungry young Rams team looking for payback. I also know we weren't very competitive offensively in the rematch in LA last year, but 28-12 is not a blowout. Plus, the Hawks are 3-5 against McVay, with 5 of the games being within one score (13-10 Hawks, 33-31 Rams, 36-31 Rams, 30-29 Hawks, 23-16 Rams), and the best version of McVay's Rams, the 2018 team, only outscored us by a combined touchdown in 2 games.

Fearing the Rams is how we lose. We can take them again. Let's do this!

It is a big myth... This is a completely different team than the first time we played the Rams this year and even more completely different team in years past... they have won 5 out of the last 7... That stat MEANS nothing... but yeah they can keep spewing it just like they did last game which didn't net them ANYTHING but a fat Loss... I'm ok with that...

LTH

Chapow

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3arvi1wf said:
We need to stop pretending like losing within one score at the end means it was a close game. How many games have we seen the Hawks down 2-3 scores almost the entire 4th quarter and suddenly make 1-2 more scores in essentially garbage time against a prevent D to pull within one score but still need some miracle on-side kick recover and score in 20 seconds to win. I guarantee if you go back to every single one of those one score games probably 3/4s of those games were firmly out of the Hawks reach and those final 1-2 scores to pull within a score...were garbage time.

Do we also need to stop pretending like "we almost lost" when the exact opposite scenario plays out and we are the ones that win in this fashion? Because we see that quite a bit.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, there have been plenty of games that were in hand, only to finish with garbage time touchdowns.
The glass half full people see it as it was, a win that wasn't CLOSE to what the score showed.

The opposite for the doom and gloomers, and that's fine.

12-4 is the only stat that matters. The Hawks not afraid or intimidated by the Rams, no matter how hard people try to convince themselves that they are.....

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks appeared to have figured out McVay's offense, and he is going to have to come up with a new wrinkle.

The Seahawks have the personnel to shutdown their wide zone runs, and the Seahawks were mostly excellent last game staying with and passing off the TEs on the boot action that comes off of it.

As long as the Seahawks offense sticks with the running game, and mix in some quick passes they should be fine. See the first drive on offense down in LA. That is the blueprint.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
The Seahawks got that demon off of their backs with the win two weeks ago.

Prior to that it was basically ownership, but not of McVay/Seattle, it was of McVay/Carroll from a coaching perspective:

Game 1 - ET makes a great play, chops Gurley as he's going in for a TD, Rams go turnover crazy, but even with that - Kupp drops the game winning TD - from a coaching perspective (not player perspective), McVay had Carroll - we just didn't execute

Game 2 - 42-7

Game 3 - Rams lose two receivers, in the second half we were throwing to a guy named Khadarel Hodge, whose name I have no idea how to spell - McVay realizes Russ is hot and we go for it on 4th and inches - most likely thanks to Carroll calling timeout as we were lined up to punt

Game 4 - only a 5 point win but that's somewhat misleading - Rams players commit multiple personal foul penalties that extend Seahawk drives (only time I recall that happening under McVay) - Rams were up 36-24 before Seattle scored a late TD, then they got the ball back, because, Goff - before the defense slammed the door shut

Game 5 - ball hits Gerald Everett right in the hands wide open, bounces up in the air and Seattle gets an immaculate interception - then the Rams get the ball back and get into FG range, only for GZ to miss - McVay coached well enough to get a game winning FG drive twice

Game 6 - only 28-12, but Seattle scored 6 points on offense, and the Rams likely could have made this worse if not for Goff being, well, Goff

Game 7 - 23-13 for a good chunk of the second half, Seattle scored late to make this game look closer than it was

Game 8 everything changed - but prior to this, it was bad. McVay coached well enough for the Rams to be 7-0 against Seattle, players didn't execute well enough in the two end game losses.

I'm sure there was lack of execution on Seattle's end as well - but those two plays were basically end game situations where the play is made, we win, if not we lose - and in both cases Seattle players didn't really force them to not be made.

That's why I say McVay probably coached well enough for it to be 7-0, prior to two weeks ago.

The narrative will really slip if Seattle wins tomorrow - at that point it's 5-4 with one being a playoff win for Carroll - that'd basically make them even.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2ty8mhij said:
The Seahawks got that demon off of their backs with the win two weeks ago.

Prior to that it was basically ownership, but not of McVay/Seattle, it was of McVay/Carroll from a coaching perspective:

Game 1 - ET makes a great play, chops Gurley as he's going in for a TD, Rams go turnover crazy, but even with that - Kupp drops the game winning TD - from a coaching perspective (not player perspective), McVay had Carroll - we just didn't execute

Game 2 - 42-7

Game 3 - Rams lose two receivers, in the second half we were throwing to a guy named Khadarel Hodge, whose name I have no idea how to spell - McVay realizes Russ is hot and we go for it on 4th and inches - most likely thanks to Carroll calling timeout as we were lined up to punt

Game 4 - only a 5 point win but that's somewhat misleading - Rams players commit multiple personal foul penalties that extend Seahawk drives (only time I recall that happening under McVay) - Rams were up 36-24 before Seattle scored a late TD, then they got the ball back, because, Goff - before the defense slammed the door shut

Game 5 - ball hits Gerald Everett right in the hands wide open, bounces up in the air and Seattle gets an immaculate interception - then the Rams get the ball back and get into FG range, only for GZ to miss - McVay coached well enough to get a game winning FG drive twice

Game 6 - only 28-12, but Seattle scored 6 points on offense, and the Rams likely could have made this worse if not for Goff being, well, Goff

Game 7 - 23-13 for a good chunk of the second half, Seattle scored late to make this game look closer than it was

Game 8 everything changed - but prior to this, it was bad. McVay coached well enough for the Rams to be 7-0 against Seattle, players didn't execute well enough in the two end game losses.

I'm sure there was lack of execution on Seattle's end as well - but those two plays were basically end game situations where the play is made, we win, if not we lose - and in both cases Seattle players didn't really force them to not be made.

That's why I say McVay probably coached well enough for it to be 7-0, prior to two weeks ago.

The narrative will really slip if Seattle wins tomorrow - at that point it's 5-4 with one being a playoff win for Carroll - that'd basically make them even.

LOL If everything always worked as it should I would be a great coach. Turnovers, penalties, not executing, that ultimately falls on the coach. Or is he only responsible for the good stuff? Hand off up the gut and young Todd Gurley super mans his way through the line? That all McVay? Aaron Donald winning Dpoy again...that all McVay?

LOL

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm no longer worried about the "McVay owns Pete" narrative in regards to his high flying offense putting up 500 yards on us.

Now it's only about one thing and one thing only, our offense vs. their defense. That's it, that'll decide this game, and most future games under these two coaching regimes.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dc51h97e said:
I'm no longer worried about the "McVay owns Pete" narrative in regards to his high flying offense putting up 500 yards on us.

Now it's only about one thing and one thing only, our offense vs. their defense. That's it, that'll decide this game, and most future games under these two coaching regimes.

I had it the other way around... I think it's our O (not turning the ball over) it is our D vs their O...

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":ns61892l said:
Sgt. Largent":ns61892l said:

I had it the other way around... I think it's our O (not turning the ball over) it is our D vs their O...

LTH

If our D gives up more than 10 points to a hobbled Ram's offense with a backup QB? We deserve to lose.

NINEster

Reaction score
I'd be cautious in the concept of coaching "ownership".

Too many factors at play. I think there's something to be said about teams rivalries that go beyond coaching tenures.

Jeff Fisher had success against the Seahawks. From a pure eye test standpoint you could say it was more impressive than McVay's because all Fisher had back then was defense and he split games at the minimum (if not an occasional sweep), and never was out of a game (that 2016 rematch in Seattle, if he wasn't fired prior, would have been a competitive game).

49ers seem to have had better success against the Rams than the Seahawks the last 10 years, regardless of who is coaching. First half of the decade, they had lots of success against Arizona, the last few years, a bit more even but AZ is still tough.

Niners never have it easy with the Seahawks, whether they're the favorite or the underdog. Kyle needed a world class offense to beat the Seahawks by double digits with the Falcons in the 2016 playoffs.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
NINEster":1x8x9o2a said:
I'd be cautious in the concept of coaching "ownership".

Too many factors at play. I think there's something to be said about teams rivalries that go beyond coaching tenures.

Jeff Fisher had success against the Seahawks. From a pure eye test standpoint you could say it was more impressive than McVay's because all Fisher had back then was defense and he split games at the minimum (if not an occasional sweep), and never was out of a game (that 2016 rematch in Seattle, if he wasn't fired prior, would have been a competitive game).

49ers seem to have had better success against the Rams than the Seahawks the last 10 years, regardless of who is coaching. First half of the decade, they had lots of success against Arizona, the last few years, a bit more even but AZ is still tough.

Niners never have it easy with the Seahawks, whether they're the favorite or the underdog. Kyle needed a world class offense to beat the Seahawks by double digits with the Falcons in the 2016 playoffs.

It is easy to see that Shanahan owns McVay and McVay owns Kingsbury. Nothing to be cautious about with those examples.

potatohead33

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":17g0mlou said:
It's not just McVay. Jeff Fisher's Rams played their best games of the season against us WITHOUT FAIL.

I'll never forget the one punt where they had one guy deep on one side faking everyone out and the dude on the other side caught the ball with nobody in sight. I mean looking back it was a genius play.

Latest posts