Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you take 4 first rounds picks for Russ ?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • yes or no ?
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• No, if you have a all pro/hof type qb you have a chance every year. Like we've had the past 10 years.

Would you trade Russ for Haskins, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Jones, Darnold, Rosen, Murray just a few of the recent 1st rd qb's we've seen taken.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Welcome to the board :irishdrinkers:
    You'll find out quickly that some on here would trade him for a box of onions.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Pete and John would just turn those four into 25 7th round picks ....so No!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• No. The likelihood is that none of those picks will produce a quarterback nearly as good as RW, and with no suitable replacement at the position, the chances of a championship in either the present or the future are damaged.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Welcome to the board :irishdrinkers:

Thanks Soul.....I wouldn't trade Russ.
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• I'm a Buckeyes homer, so if it's the Jets we'd be trading with, I'd at least think about it.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• What if the 4 picks were all top ten and under selections ? :>)
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• Depends who is drafting...most of time our 1st rd picks could be had in the later rounds.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Maybe in a couple years when he clearly only has a season or two left.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Frankly no!

It is darn hard to find a a legit NFL QB and finding one who is annually a Pro Bowl quality QB is special. While RW has never recorded a vote for MVP he's certainly annually the team MVP, and has been deserving of consideration for league MVP. He's a sure thing, capable of pulling rabbits out of that and finding ways to win when it looks bleak. Trade RW for for 4 shots at replacing him in the annual lottery called the draft? No thanks, be happy with what you have and that something is something special.

You are still guessing even with 4 selections in the top 10 of the draft.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• The Sashi Brown Browns plan, he got a ton of draft picks and went 1-31 over two years, but hey they got a ton of draft picks.

Yes if RoboTron3000 ran every NFL team they would go 0-16 trading draft picks for more draft picks until every year until they got a good QB on a cheap rookie deal. Then to win for 5 years then go 0-16 until the next QB is found.

The Miami Dolphins are pretty close to that but with a winning record. Right now they have a top 5 pick from the Texans and a second-rounder in 2021. They could trade that top 5 picks two or three times for future draft picks that could really set them up for success this decade.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Depends who is drafting...most of time our 1st rd picks could be had in the later rounds.

Meh. Maybe, maybe not. There isn't any way to know that.

Plus, our 1st round picks are almost always very late in the round. I think we'd likely be seeing very different results if we were normally picking in the 10-16 range as opposed to the 26-32 range.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

There are considerably more who think the Chiefs should have to throw in Travis Kelce and two first rounders in a Russ-Mahomes swap.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• touche'
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Patrick for Russ in a heart beat. :D
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• Rat wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Welcome to the board :irishdrinkers:

There are considerably more who think the Chiefs should have to throw in Travis Kelce and two first rounders in a Russ-Mahomes swap.

It's funny. No matter the argument, and no matter what side of the argument, everyone always thinks the other side is worse. And usually a lot worse.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Welcome to the board :irishdrinkers:

Just John63
    potatohead33
    NET Practice Squad

• K.J WRIGHT wrote:Patrick for Russ in a heart beat. :D

yeah in on our team in our system he would miss 3 games every year and put up avg numbers.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Hell no.

Russ is a once in a generation type QB. He’s a good fit for the Seahawks.

It could be YEARS before an suitable or even serviceable replacement was found.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Deleted double post.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I also think the success of a QB is largely dependent upon the franchise selection him.

Only half of NFL franchises will probably make the most out of a good player and then put the correct pieces in place.

Seattle could still have success without Wilson, if Carroll/Schneider is still here and they selected let’s say, Justin Fields/Trevor Lawrence.

Scheme and franchise stability is crucial for developing a franchise QB.

If Wilson was a New York Jet, Jacksonville Jaguar, Cincinnati Bengal, Houston Texan, Dallas Cowboy, those teams will probably still struggle.

I think Carroll and Schneider would at least think about it.

Who wouldn’t?

If Carroll honestly believes in his system, run the ball, play great defense, and manage the game with the QB, why couldn’t he also find success with a talent young QB.

He would develop him the same way he did Wilson.

Seattle could do it if they wanted too.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• 4 first rounders?Yes without hesitation..Father time is not RW's friend
    But the QB pick has to be spot on.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• depends on what picks they are and what year... I would seriously consider it...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• How quickly people forget the first 36 years.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

I laughed too hard at this lmao

No, I wouldn't trade Russell for 4 1st round picks
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Nope.

It took 36 years for the franchise to draft a HoF QB.

The Browns, and Dolphins collected a ton of picks. And they now are saddled to Baker Mayfield, and Tua. Very talented rosters, and coaching staffs, but they aren't winning anything in the next 5 years.

Look at Pete's choices at QB before Russ. Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn. Hell no.

This team is not setup to groom and develop young QBs, either. It would be a disaster. With their Marty Ball offense, straight out of 1996. Even if they were given 10 first round picks. They would have a talented roster for sure, but I all but guarantee they would suck at QB. So they would be a 7-9 type of franchise. See the 2011 Seahawks. #2 Scoring Defense, Top 5 running game. Meh at QB.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:Nope.

It took 36 years for the franchise to draft a HoF QB.

The Browns, and Dolphins collected a ton of picks. And they now are saddled to Baker Mayfield, and Tua. Very talented rosters, and coaching staffs, but they aren't winning anything in the next 5 years.

Look at Pete's choices at QB before Russ. Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn. Hell no.

This team is not setup to groom and develop young QBs, either. It would be a disaster. With their Marty Ball offense, straight out of 1996. Even if they were given 10 first round picks. They would have a talented roster for sure, but I all but guarantee they would suck at QB. So they would be a 7-9 type of franchise. See the 2011 Seahawks. #2 Scoring Defense, Top 5 running game. Meh at QB.

So much this.

The only trade I’d even consider is Mahomes, because he’s younger, and KC wouldn’t do that trade because of it.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Two part answer here.. pragmatically, id say yes if it meant getting Fields or the BYU kid. The other draft picks add talent in needed spots.

But also, getting the 35 mill off the payroll to use throughout the team is a huge bonus. And recent history bears that out. Using that money for key acquisitions to go with the new talent would set the team up for 4-5 years.

No offense to Wilson. Hes my favorite Seahawk and best QB the team has ever had.

But until they flex the qb payroll out of the cap, teams with so much invested in the qb will struggle to win the Super Bowl.

Now, that said, I don't know if I could bear watching RW play for another team.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:But until they flex the qb payroll out of the cap, teams with so much invested in the qb will struggle to win the Super Bowl.

Teams struggle to win the Super Bowl regardless of their QB situation. The great thing about the salary cap and no individual limit is that everything is fair. The three best teams in the NFC are all paying their QBs top dollar and the three best teams in the AFC are not. You can do it either way.

The biggest advantage is having a good rookie QB and that is balanced out by most of the rookie QBs being bad.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• 4 first rounders. More like 7 first rounders. And you’d have to spend them all on QBs before you hit on one. Teams like Miami have been trying since Marino left in the 90’s. SF has been trying to replace Young since 2000.

Look at the top seeds in the NFC. Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Brady. That should tell you everything about dumping a HOF quality QB.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• What about Trevor Lawrence and two drafts with DTs and DEs at the top? A reduced hit at qb with DK and Lockett still here? Way more flexibility.....its intriguing at least and a giant risk I know........is this team a title contender now? Not so sure.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:But until they flex the qb payroll out of the cap, teams with so much invested in the qb will struggle to win the Super Bowl.

Teams struggle to win the Super Bowl regardless of their QB situation. The great thing about the salary cap and no individual limit is that everything is fair. The three best teams in the NFC are all paying their QBs top dollar and the three best teams in the AFC are not. You can do it either way.

The biggest advantage is having a good rookie QB and that is balanced out by most of the rookie QBs being bad.

When was the last time a team with the QB as the highest paid player won a Super Bowl?

Yes, you can do it both ways, but the statistics on winning (not making the playoffs or even the game) the Super Bowl bear out a trend.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Mad Dog wrote:4 first rounders. More like 7 first rounders. And you’d have to spend them all on QBs before you hit on one. Teams like Miami have been trying since Marino left in the 90’s. SF has been trying to replace Young since 2000.

Look at the top seeds in the NFC. Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Brady. That should tell you everything about dumping a HOF quality QB.

When was the last time Rodgers, Brees, Wilson won (or even played in) a Super Bowl though?

And with Brady, he was never the highest paid player in New England.

The NFL knows this and has discussed altering the QB cap hit. But the last 10 years demonstrate a trend in regards to highly paid QBs over their rookie counterparts. It seems the sum of the talent is more important than just the signal caller.

I would bet that the Chiefs and Bills would be favorites in any Super Bowl against the Bucs, Saints, Packers, Seahawks.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

2 boxes...Reds for salads and whites for salsa. :rumble: :stirthepot: :twisted:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Only on dot negative would there be more threads about how "bad" Russ is than on the fact that they are 12-4, Division champs and hosting a playoff game in 3 days. And, have a ton of playoff experience, the better team, and a MUCH better QB, regardless who plays on Saturday.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• No. There are no other Russell Wilsons, hopefully the FO will use some of that Legacy Allen Estate to clone him and have this miracle of DNA ready to play in the next decade. Russ might be playing for another 10 years, with growth acceleration we could have the clone transition seamlessly.

Besides... the Hawks FO would never waste 4 picks in the first round, they would turn those into like 30 picks for rounds 2-4 and a few 5-7s that actually make the team.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• God no.

But I would trade 3 1sts for Pete if anyone would do it.

I would like to see if Wilson's success is the product of Pete or if Wilson could be better under a more offensively focused coach with more imaginative and wider range in playcalling.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Nah...
    Not 4 1sts.
    Not 4 1st supposedly in the 1-10 range.
    Not for mahomes either.
    Not when he only clearly has two years left in the tank.

When you have your qb...it is one less position you have to fill. If we could rangle in some top corners who play man and zone, but could also cover tight at all times...
    I'll take some of those, but still not for Russ.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:4 first rounders. More like 7 first rounders. And you’d have to spend them all on QBs before you hit on one. Teams like Miami have been trying since Marino left in the 90’s. SF has been trying to replace Young since 2000.

The Bears have been looking for a solid QB since probably Sid Luckman.

The Jaguars were absolutely elite a few years ago, but they had one problem: Bortles.

I get the "teams aren't winning Super Bowl with too much cap tied up in the QB" but Brady's sweetheart deals with the Patriots heavily skewed that. No team is a multi-year threat to win a Super Bowl without a good to great QB, unless you get that crazy good rookie, but you end up paying them. And that most recent one, Mahomes, is already extended.

It makes it hard to win with the money tied up in the QB, but you certainly can't win it if your QB sucks.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• I'm totally amazed that this is a question. Hawks are here now. Win saturday and Seattle is on its way.
    had2bhawk
    NET Rookie

• 3 Days…..tick....tick....tick...….
    This is gonna' be a hell of a battle. Always is with the Clams.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:3 Days…..tick....tick....tick...….
    This is gonna' be a hell of a battle. Always is with the Clams.

I'm finding it tough to get through each day/nite until then.
    had2bhawk
    NET Rookie

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:4 first rounders. More like 7 first rounders. And you’d have to spend them all on QBs before you hit on one. Teams like Miami have been trying since Marino left in the 90’s. SF has been trying to replace Young since 2000.

When was the last time Rodgers, Brees, Wilson won (or even played in) a Super Bowl though?

And with Brady, he was never the highest paid player in New England.

The NFL knows this and has discussed altering the QB cap hit. But the last 10 years demonstrate a trend in regards to highly paid QBs over their rookie counterparts. It seems the sum of the talent is more important than just the signal caller.

I would bet that the Chiefs and Bills would be favorites in any Super Bowl against the Bucs, Saints, Packers, Seahawks.

Brady most certainly was the highest paid player on his team. Maybe not the highest paid player in the league. Eli was the highest paid player on his Giants SB teams. Rothlisberger was the highest paid player on his second SB winning team. Peyton Manning was the team's highest paid player in his 2 SB wins. Ditto Brees and his single SB win.

SB's have been won by teams with QB stars on rookie deals, QB journeymen and QB stars on second/third deals.

The concept that a QB on a rookie deal is the easy route to SB victory ignores all the highly drafted QB's that fail miserably in even getting their team to win. For every Mahomes and Wilson, there are dozens of Darnolds and Griffins.

The easiest route is still to hold onto a star QB and draft well around him and mesh him with a great coach. I think we'd have done better with Wilson if we'd hit on a few more drafts from 2013-2016.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• I'd have to consider it.

I just read somewhere that Russ is fat like an elephant & people are starting to talk about it.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• Hockey Guy wrote:I'd have to consider it.

I just read somewhere that Russ is fat like an elephant & people are starting to talk about it.

don't spread the blissful groups BS please
    John63
    NET Veteran

• I would take two 1sts from Jacksonville. 2021 and 2022. Other than that no thanks.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

• K.J WRIGHT wrote:yes or no ?

Absolutely I would. Wilson can be replaced, especially with this offense with another serviceable quarterback. I believe we would still be 12-4 with a Tannehill or Fitzatrick as QB. Heck If we had Kaepernick I think wed still have roughly the same record. I just dont think our team functions well when Russ throws the rock 30+ times a game. Your typical drop back passer is not what Wilsons strength is, and its what Schottenhimer seems to insist on having his QB do. A true pocket passer, even if they are less talented overall I bet would yield the same result this year.

Im sure plenty will disagree, always hard to go against a popular player like russ and I like the guy. I just dont think he plays to the strengths of this team the way its set up. If we honestly had a taller QB, we could use our TE's and RB's more in the passing game which I think Schotty would love to do, but its hard for wilson just to see them sometimes. Wilson is best in space with boots, moving the pocket, and when things break down.

With 4 1st rd picks I think you could get a ton, honestly id trade russ to primarily to get rid of the salary. 35 million ~20% of the cap would be freed up PLUS those picks? Id take the trade.
    Tmagopis
    NET Bench Warmer

• I mean yeah if maybe if I’m the new whatever in a total in house cleaning rebuild, I’d be selling every valuable player over 27 years old for picks galore or for younger talent that perhaps need a change of scenery to grow into their potential types.

Russ has to get me No.1 overall or quite possibly those other picks are gonna get later and later as the years go on.

I know though I’m going all in for Fred Warner if he’s available. FUSFO.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:Pete and John would just turn those four into 25 7th round picks ....so No!
    Haha

Imagine having the last 25 picks in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information