Elephant in the room...Russell Wilson

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Our Success in the playoffs will depend on which Russell Wilson shows up. Over the last 9 games, he has been a lower third QB. If you extrapolate his numbers from the last 9 games over the course of the year, he would be at

3664 yards
24TDs (2nd lowest of his career)
13INT (most of his career)
92.2 QB Rating (Lowest of his career)

I would consider 2-3 weeks an anomaly, but 9 weeks of mediocre play to close the Season is maybe what he is at this point. Unless if there is a miracle, we squeak past LA, and lose to the Saints. I don’t want to hear the injury excuse because every player in the NFL at this point is injured in some way shape or form. His performance fell off the cliff and hasn’t recovered.

It’s time to start planning for the future because I don’t think the Podcasts and Perfume distractions are going anywhere.

PNW

Reaction score
ludakrishna":36qqbu9b said:
Our Success in the playoffs will depend on which Russell Wilson shows up. Over the last 9 games, he has been a lower third QB. If you extrapolate his numbers from the last 9 games over the course of the year, he would be at

3664 yards
24TDs (2nd lowest of his career)
13INT (most of his career)
92.2 QB Rating (Lowest of his career)

I would consider 2-3 weeks an anomaly, but 9 weeks of mediocre play to close the Season is maybe what he is at this point. Unless if there is a miracle, we squeak past LA, and lose to the Saints. I don’t want to hear the injury excuse because every player in the NFL at this point is injured in some way shape or form. His performance fell off the cliff and hasn’t recovered.

It’s time to start planning for the future because I don’t think the Podcasts and Perfume distractions are going anywhere.
I love Russ, I just don’t think he’s worth 35 million a year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has 3 incredible strengths:

1 - Does not get flustered. Pressure does not seem to affect his accuracy or decision-making.

2 - One of the best at throwing with accuracy on the move to either direction.

3 - Incredible touch and accuracy on the long ball.

I am curious just how much his falloff is the result of our inability to really scheme out effective passing plays that are not long developing. I see a lot of low percentage long balls to our receivers running down the sidelines. He is legit missing some of these, but some are missed because referees are loathe to call contact chucking our receivers off their routes.

Not saying he does not look off, but we appear to be forcing gameplans to leverage #3 instead of taking advantage of #1 and #2 more. Is he distracted or injured? We would only know at the end of the season. But he could absolutely be used better. Giving him a garbage gameplan and expecting him to make it work because he is Russell Wilson anyway...ignores the % success rates on some of this.

Some of this is defenses learning how to defend him better because they are getting more time facing mobile QBs with so many out there now. But we are not helping him.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
I fully believe that PC is of the mindset that he can take a shot at the Super Bowl because he now has a top defense, strong run game and so long as he dials Wilson back into game manager Wilson and not Comeback Wilson, he’ll avoid turnovers, keep the score close whoever the opponent is, and let 4th quarter magic do the rest.

unfortunately that view is a delusion because our defense, while improved, has not proven itself against any of the top tier quarterbacks it is going to see in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks keeping all these teams to 20 or less translates into similar results vs. Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Brady, etc is kidding themselves, and when we are down 2 touchdowns vs the likes one of these quarterbacks, kiss whatever run game we’ve got out the window, they’ll unleash Wilson and we’ll live or die on the skill and luck of his deep ball on 3rd and 3’s whilst praying to the football gods the refs don’t commit rules malpractice.

Cant predict the future but I’d be shocked, absolutely shocked, if our offense and defense both come out on fire, even against the Rams, let alone the saints or packers or bucs. We are going to have to be the comeback squad exactly as showcased VS the 49ers, only with a far better quarterback on the other side of the ball. Imo it isn’t going to work.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think you are right Hawaii.

Which is an odd plan.

If you look at the top teams in the NFC, we have a worse defense than all of them.

We also have a lesser roster.

The only area we have an arguable advantage is:
LB
S
WR
QB

Since LB and S are in a defense that is clearly nowhere near the caliber of the other teams, the only way to expect to win those games is to put your QB and WR in positions to use their own strengths to get the win. Helping you is that the league has tilted many of the rules and advantages toward the passing team and QB.

Pete's ridiculous and prone to failure solution in the playoffs is to bare minimum our passing and QB, but for moonshots to keep the opposing safeties out of the LOS. At least until you are down multiple TDs or down in the 4th.

Without the LOB, it does not work. It won't work. (But expecting this team to get to the SB would make no sense anyway. I just want a single divisional playoff game win)

I don't think the elephant in the room is Wilson. I think it is how we are using him. Pete always gets a free pass on this. We literally lost a playoff game to the Cowboys because we ran the ball repeatedly with Mike Davis (a zero star RB) instead using our HOF QB until it was too late. But I expect it again.

Pete is the elephant, not Wilson.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Yes let's completely ignore what he did for the 2.5 seasons before this (playing at a top 2 or 3 level in the league). Let's ignore things such as scheme and the that fact that our defense was awful in the first half of the season and we decided to make our offensive more conservative and about ball control.

As a point of comparison, Aaron Rodgers was very average for about 3 out of 4 years from 2015-2018. I guess the Packers should have cut bait on him right? Once he got a new scheme and some new talent, he's back to playing great again. Funny how that works.

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":2zrfkhdw said:
Yes let's completely ignore what he did for the 2.5 seasons before this (playing at a top 2 or 3 level in the league). Let's ignore things such as scheme and the that fact that our defense was awful in the first half of the season and we decided to make our offensive more conservative and about ball control.

As a point of comparison, Aaron Rodgers was very average for about 3 out of 4 years from 2015-2018. I guess the Packers should have cut bait on him right? Once he got a new scheme and some new talent, he's back to playing great again. Funny how that works.

Sooo...fire Pete Carroll?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":9x1sq3lx said:
I fully believe that PC is of the mindset that he can take a shot at the Super Bowl because he now has a top defense, strong run game and so long as he dials Wilson back into game manager Wilson and not Comeback Wilson, he’ll avoid turnovers, keep the score close whoever the opponent is, and let 4th quarter magic do the rest.

unfortunately that view is a delusion because our defense, while improved, has not proven itself against any of the top tier quarterbacks it is going to see in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks keeping all these teams to 20 or less translates into similar results vs. Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Brady, etc is kidding themselves, and when we are down 2 touchdowns vs the likes one of these quarterbacks, kiss whatever run game we’ve got out the window, they’ll unleash Wilson and we’ll live or die on the skill and luck of his deep ball on 3rd and 3’s whilst praying to the football gods the refs don’t commit rules malpractice.

Cant predict the future but I’d be shocked, absolutely shocked, if our offense and defense both come out on fire, even against the Rams, let alone the saints or packers or bucs. We are going to have to be the comeback squad exactly as showcased VS the 49ers, only with a far better quarterback on the other side of the ball. Imo it isn’t going to work.

I am also worried about our defense, because they havent proven anything against better opponents. Yet, they have hit their stride and hopefully carry it to the playoffs. As far as wilson. You lost me. Saying qbs on the other teams are better. Nah. More clutch nah. Better in pressure situations...hell to the no.

Oh and the original poster...get ya hating ass out of here. Mediocre my ass! Good thing you dont count 9 weeks instead of 16. Good thing you dont calculate a season based on 9 of 16. Good thing no one here calculates their faith based on you ridiculous input.

If russ is so mediocre now...do you think the hawks should look for another qb who gets hit often, pressured often and is worse at moving around trying to avoid getting sacked because we have the worst pass blocking in the league? Just wondering.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1lhk6s7z said:
A_Biased_Fan":1lhk6s7z said:

Sooo...fire Pete Carroll?

Either Schotty needs to revamp his scheme in the offseason or we need to bring in someone who can be as creative as Reid or LaFleur are. Tall task I know, but have to consider a change at OC to maximize the talent we have on offense.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Russ had a bad stretch of ball security in the middle of the season with 10 turnovers in a four game stretch. Outside of that, however, his ball security has been has been great. He's had three total turnovers the last six games with one, maybe two, of them being the receiver's fault.

It's also true that he's been in a bit of slump in the second half of the season, but we've largely been facing teams with good defenses and bad offenses, while our own defense has begun playing much better. If we're playing to win games and not just pile up stats then it makes sense to be more conservative on offense in those situations, particularly after that four game stretch in the middle of the season that resulted in 3 of our 4 losses on the year.

The other thing that people need to keep in mind with all this over-emphasis on play by quarters is that most QBs look a lot better statistically in trailing situations. Having a fourth down to work with makes a huge difference, as does a softer defense that is allowing easy short completions to the middle of the field. It's only natural that Seahawks fans notice this a lot with a Seahawks QB, but you can find a similar narrative arc all across the NFL this season.

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":365evhnw said:
Hawaii-hawk":365evhnw said:

I am also worried about our defense, because they havent proven anything against better opponents. Yet, they have hit their stride and hopefully carry it to the playoffs. As far as wilson. You lost me. Saying qbs on the other teams are better. Nah. More clutch nah. Better in pressure situations...hell to the no.

Oh and the original poster...get ya hating ass out of here. Mediocre my ass! Good thing you dont count 9 weeks instead of 16. Good thing you dont calculate a season based on 9 of 16. Good thing no one here calculates their faith based on you ridiculous input.

If russ is so mediocre now...do you think the hawks should look for another qb who gets hit often, pressured often and is worse at moving around trying to avoid getting sacked because we have the worst pass blocking in the league? Just wondering.

Hating ass? Stating facts is negative? Closing out the season with mediocre QB performance and pointing it out is called being a hater. I want the Seahawks to win a SB as much as any other fan, but I’m also going to call it like it is, for more than half of the season, he’s performed not up to the level of a $35M QB.

Worst pass blocking line? PFF has us ranked 15th in pass blocking. Middle of the road....yet Russ was in the top tier of QB getting sacked....seems like a QB holding onto the ball too long

Look for a replacement? I’ve said it for a while, we need to groom a QB of the future. Look at what GB did with Farve and now Rodgers. Rodgers was mediocre for 2 straight years and this year has been on fire ever since GB drafted his potential successor.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Defenses have changed how they play Russ ever since the Vikings game. They run a ton of cover 2 and cover 4 with varied pre-snap alignments but the same 2 deep safety coverage. Those shot plays that worked for 5 weeks haven't worked because teams got film and saw how explosively successful they were (and how often they were called). Couple that with a rather limited short to intermediate passing game, we see a lot less chunk plays and a lot more struggle. It is VERY rare for DK to get single coverage deep down the sidelines anymore outside of the Eagles game where they thought single coverage was a good idea.

The problem I've seen is they really haven't adjusted on offense to this, at least through 3 quarters of each game. The middle of the field should be eaten alive against these coverages but a lot of those same slow developing sideline homeruns are still getting called. Russ is noticeably more gunshy since the turnover spree - probably with some nudging from Pete - and that's why the team only really moves the ball when it's 4th quarter go time and they're uptempo. You can see a clear switch in philosophy and scheme when they need to get things rolling and it's frustrating they can't come out with that same energy, especially since the defense is finally playing above average ball.

This might work against a Goff-less Rams assuming the game stays close but I have a hard time picturing the D getting consistent stops against the Packers, Bucs, and Saints which will be the same exact dance as the last few playoffs. Down big early by halftime, offense with only a FG or two puttering along, clearly shift into Russ mode late and it's close towards the end but not really in doubt. They'll need to come out firing and give the D a lead against those teams to make a run this year.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1znucz26 said:
he’s performed not up to the level of a $35M QB

His cap hit is $31 million.

What is your number? What should he be paid?

rcaido

Reaction score
4000yrds+ passing
500+yrds rushing
40TDs + 2TDs rushing
69% Completion
Passer Rating 105.1
3 Game Winning Drives

Won Division 12-4

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
rcaido":3fr4mrr5 said:
4000yrds+ passing
500+yrds rushing
40TDs + 2TDs rushing
69% Completion
Passer Rating 105.1
3 Game Winning Drives

Won Division 12-4

How did he finish over the last half of the season? Is that worthy of his salary?

rcaido

Reaction score
ludakrishna":h37lholh said:
rcaido":h37lholh said:
4000yrds+ passing
500+yrds rushing
40TDs + 2TDs rushing
69% Completion
Passer Rating 105.1
3 Game Winning Drives

Won Division 12-4

How did he finish over the last half of the season? Is that worthy of his salary?
yes