Is there anything different this year?

Erebus

Reaction score
Since 2015 we haven't advanced past the division round for various reasons (slow starts every time, but other reasons too). Is there any reason at all to think this year should be different?

We were red hot at the end of the 2015 regular season. Both sides of the ball were playing well. That didn't carry over to the playoffs. The long trip after a miserably cold game in Minnesota probably caused the terrible first half against Carolina.

In 2016 we just flat out sucked against the Falcons in all three phases.

In 2018 Pete was dumb and kept running the ball for no reason when it clearly wasn't working, but the pass was. Very well could happen again this year.

In 2019 we were doomed by yet another inexplicable slow start before trying to mount a comeback that was too little, too late.

The Let Russ Cook campaign seemed to solve our slow start problem. But that's been shelved, so it appears extremely likely that we're going to have yet another slow start or two. Please tell me why I'm wrong.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Erebus":35kam3h7 said:
Since 2015 we haven't advanced past the division round for various reasons (slow starts every time, but other reasons too). Is there any reason at all to think this year should be different?

No

evergreen

Reaction score
I think our defense is way better this year. Plus a healthy running backs corp.

rcaido

Reaction score
Erebus":vpdg5n45 said:

We were red hot at the end of the 2015 regular season. Both sides of the ball were playing well. That didn't carry over to the playoffs. The long trip after a miserably cold game in Minnesota probably caused the terrible first half against Carolina.

In 2018 Pete was dumb and kept running the ball for no reason when it clearly wasn't working, but the pass was. Very well could happen again this year.

In 2019 we were doomed by yet another inexplicable slow start before trying to mount a comeback that was too little, too late.

The Let Russ Cook campaign seemed to solve our slow start problem. But that's been shelved, so it appears extremely likely that we're going to have yet another slow start or two. Please tell me why I'm wrong.

2015 - Carolina wetted soak the field intentionally and had the proper gear. We had to change shoes in the second half, very bush league.

2016 - Yes the Falcons matched up great against us, this was the very first true lost.

2018 - Yeah it was dumb they kept trying to run. Carson choked and they kept on feeding him more. The other two rb didn't so good either.

2019 - Our entire RB got devastated right before the playoffs. If we had one healthy rb against GB we win the game. The last call was also a gift from the refs.

2020 - First half of the season our offense looked unstoppable but worse defense of all time...Second half our Defense looking like a top 5 but offense went conservative...If we can some how click on both at the same time, i think we can have something special.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It will depend on a few key factors: stopping their run, starting fast, pounding
them on the ground, protecting RW, ST excellence, and finishing strong. In short a total team effort.

Very winnable!

Curious season to date the team has talent on both sides of the ball, & very solid ST play. An offensive juggernaut tho start the season and now a defensive powerhouse.

It’s different this season as the team is closer to good health than it has been in the past few.

getnasty

Reaction score
So much of these games come down to a play or two. 8 don't know if we should have won any of the games mention above but if Malik Turner catches an easy pass or Devin Heaters return against the Falcons doesn't get called back those games could easily go differently. The thing that concerns me is all of those games were on the road and unfortunately after this week we'll probably be traveling.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
We've shown flashes of being dominant in all 3 phases, just haven't been able to put it all together at the same time. Teams can get hot in the playoffs when they weren't expected to win it all, we have the tools for a SB, whereas a team like the Bears or dare I say the Rams (with their QB struggles) do not. Why can't we get hot for a 4 game stretch?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Erebus":1oxiuin1 said:

One poster mentioned - all of these are on the road. On the road you have to play near perfect to win in the playoffs. Plus get perfect reffing.

That's why me a usual glass half fuller was soo ticked after the Giants loss.

But Mr. Glass half full guy here:

-Our offense is basically at full strength - We get our full compliment of oline back this week, and we really handled Carson with kid gloves since he returned. Pete recognizes how important he is to our playoff success. He will get a full load from here forward.

-Our defense has been playing lights out the second half. Very reminiscent of KC last year.

-Our special teams have been a real strength all year. Playoffs tighten up, not just Pete ball tight but tight in general. Having the ST advantage could be huge.

-Our offense has the ability to go off. I know Russ hasn't been cooking, but we have to weapons to do it.

-Russ is freaking DUE. There is NOWAY we're talking next year and saying 2020: Russ stunk so we lost. No way that's happening. (I hope)