3 & 7, Metcalf and Hollister both run routes short of 1st D

Tokadub

Reaction score
I dunno why the titles are so short on this website... that's awkward... it's extremely difficult to give an accurate subject on this website...

Ok what I tried to say in title:

This is about 10:11 time of 1st quarter in last game vs 49ers

It's 3rd and 7 we have Hollister and Metcalf (in motion) running short of the 1st down in their route... literally 2 guys just stopping before the first down by design it seems???

I gotta be a little critical about the play calling in this example... this is EXACTLY why I hated Bevell... he always did this run these concepts short of first down when on 3rd and long... what the F*&( is this play call???

I think this happened at least a few more times in the last few games... but I'm not energetic enough to look for every example... this 1 play where we have 2 receivers short of first down by design... wtf is this???????????

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
You aren't alone. The same question entered my mind immediately following both plays. I mean what happened to running the route to the sticks?

beaumaris

Reaction score
Tokadub":1ufcvoi3 said:
I dunno why the titles are so short on this website... that's awkward... it's extremely difficult to give an accurate subject on this website...

It's 3rd and 7 we have Hollister and Metcalf (in motion) running short of the 1st down in their route... literally 2 guys just stopping before the first down by design it seems???

I gotta be a little critical about the play calling in this example... this is EXACTLY why I hated Bevell... he always did this run these concepts short of first down when on 3rd and long... what the F*&( is this play call???

I think this happened at least a few more times in the last few games... but I'm not energetic enough to look for every example... this 1 play where we have 2 receivers short of first down by design... wtf is this???????????
Have you just started noticing this.Its been going on for quite some time now.Extremely frustrating.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I noticed it, and thought the same thing. BUT two things for devils advocate.

First of all, the Defense knows exactly where you want to go as well. So those two guys "might" not be open if they run to the sticks, maybe those guys were the check down and the other routes were past the sticks but covered? Hard to know exactly.

Second, DK absolutely trucked a linebacker to get the first, and Hollister has the ability to do the same, so not exactly the worst two guys to get it to and hope they can make the first.

I lied, I have a third, pressure pressure pressure, sometimes the QB has to get the ball out quicker?

But overall, I do agree with you, need to get to the sticks.

John63

Reaction score
Tokadub":3vflm9xk said:

the question is was it the play cal;l or did both of them just stop short. we know they both have made mistake in routes it is possible it was them. Mind you I think the play calling sucks.,

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah those two aren't exactly the best route runners. Hollister needs to pass the 1st down marker as i dont think he ever gets additional yards. At least DK has the strength to get that extra when needed. Olsen seem to always be at the right spot all the time. I think its more on the receivers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To his credit though, DK was really pissed when he was short on one last week. He knows he needs to cut that route another yard farther. That's if Russ isn't about to get blasted behind swiss cheese pass blocking.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
OK I will agree it might be on the receivers, or Wilson was supposed to throw (to I think Lockett?)... there was definitely a 3rd receiver I think it was Lockett (I was super drunk when I wrote my past 2 posts)....

At least one of those 2 should of been deeper for the first down, the way they spotted up short was really ugly from my perspective... Maybe it is on the receivers it's hard to believe the play would be run like that by design.

This is why I'm angry we don't have Josh Gordon... you could literally just call a play run to first down and turn around and he's gonna make the play almost every time. Maybe Greg Olsen can do it as well... I think Metcalf can do it eventually, not sure this season though.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Defenders know exactly where the sticks are and that is a focus of their coverage. For that reason completions are more likely in front and you depend on your receiver to make up the difference after the catch.
I agree Gordon is a boon to increasing 3rd down conversion rate. Not only does he have great knack in that range he would attract closer attention than our other guys, thereby creating easier opportunities for Lockett and DK. TE is the big wildcard option that could really benefit from that 3 receiver set. I like Moore but just don't think his ceiling matches that of Gordon.

JGreen79

Reaction score
What were the other routes on the play? It is possible that it is designed this way to force coverage to allow another receiver to have more favorable coverage a little deeper.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Wilson can hit them out of the cut they can run, many times they have to stop and the defense converges, Wilsons 3rd downs usually come with a deep route or a couple he waits on to see if open instead of quick drop and release. I don't know how many times I have seen a guy really wide open he passes on looking for the killing blow throw.