We are bad on 3rd down because we have plays short by design

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I changed my mind, we have 0% chance to win Super Bowl. I didn't realize we have Bevell 2.0 all the sudden.

Why are we calling 2 plays 3rd and long short of first down in 1 quarter vs 49ers??? I know this has happened more than that 1 quarter recently...

I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier though...

Yeah we aren't gonna win a Super Bowl calling like Bevell and throwing away every 3rd down chance... this is inexcusably trash play calls.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Well I will revise this post, I was incredibly drunk...

We have a much smaller chance to win a Super Bowl if our play calls or our receivers spot up short on 3rd downs.

I only watched maybe half the first quarter last night and I instantly saw 2 plays which were WAY short of the first down by design. The second one bounced off Metcalfs hands, could of been easily interercepted but even if he caught it it didn't look to me that he could make a first down unless the defender completely whiffed the easy tackle. So I donno how many times this happened lately but...

one more example weren't we 1 yard short last season and we lost home field advantage? my point is we need to call plays to get first downs not just assume we can pick up yards after catch.... I'm 100% sure that won't work for the Superbowl... But I don't think we really have 0% chance like I've posted here recently.

Some of the plays that worked with Lockett recently he was short of the 1st down he just had room to gain the extra few yards...

If we run plays that are short of 1st down on 3rd down by design, I don't think we get past Green Bay.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
The talent on the roster can 100% win the SB, BUT the gameplanning we have seen be only effective for 1/4 of a game definitely adds a lot of risk for each step of the way to get to the SB to begin with. If your D keeps your flat offense in the game through 3 quarters and hell with some turnovers perhaps puts your offense in a good spot to score with momentum prior to the 4th quarter, you can and most likely will win that game. However, if you keep your offense the way we've seen so many times and teams like Green Bay somehow take a 2-3 score lead early...well we've seen how those games play out as well. It's hard to get a handle on this team (every season). Most teams that are good will destroy bad teams and have tough games against good teams. This team on the other hand will have a monster game against a good or bad team, and will have junk games against good/bad teams as well. That being said the lack of consistency there does not give me faith in a deep playoff run. btw. someone once asked me to define "deep playoff run" = make it to the NFCCG (do not have to win this game, just make it to the NFCCG).