Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before...

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

    Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

    Rinse-repeat.

    The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

    But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

    It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

    McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

    The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

    If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3037
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • A few of us have been saying this for half a decade. This is the pinnacle of Seahawks football now. Early exits and embarrassing performances in the playoffs
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 622
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm
    Location: Marysville


  • McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2707
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


  • Where is everyone to tell us that we shouldn't care about the slow starts because of our record? I thought that was supposed to be sustainable. :roll:
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6392
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Also:

    Pete's war of attrition style means that the D scored exactly zero points off of turnovers this year.

    And no, safeties don't count.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 242
    Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm


  • Fade wrote:Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

    Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

    Rinse-repeat.

    The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

    But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

    It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

    McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

    The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

    If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.

    The QB play was putrid and all you got is PC is the issue ..Nah
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5934
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • Pretenders...plain and simple...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 10935
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • QB play was bad because he runs for his life most of the game. This ones on Pete.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1903
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


  • i mean we can call schotty and the online and ask wtf was that... but you know maybe the rams D played lights out today.. but still... cmon russ/schotty run it up the gut with CC with no blockers! go hawks =\

    the rams out filmed us period cept the scramble pass to dk.
    beerm3
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:58 pm


  • Wilson had a bad game.

    Unfortunately, Pete is always a net negative on gameday.

    There was no way to overcome that.

    Wilson is more a guy that wins the regular season. Never really great in the playoffs but for when we had the LOB and Lynch. As I pointed out before, closer to Dominique Wilkens than Michael Jordan.

    But Pete has never been effective in the playoffs without the LOB. As soon as they left, he never won a divisional playoff game. Several of the LOB members did, however, somewhere else.

    This game was both Pete and Wilson's fault. But Pete is never an asset in a playoff game. So you knew we would be down 2 scores at halftime, and you knew we wouldn't even start trying to get back in the game until the 4th quarter.

    What you didn't expect, none of us did, is that a fumble and a few crappy decisions would put us further down in the 4th. There was no clawing back because of the fumble. But leaving the game to try to claw back in the 4th just sets you up if the ball bounces the wrong way.

    We played a team without an effective QB, without their best pass rusher, and we still lost. Because we stubbornly clung to Pete's stupid game plan. And Pete ALWAYS comes in with stupid game plans. ALWAYS. Sometimes his players just overcome it.

    The entire love affair with toxic differential and running the clock down means we cannot adjust to normal football when we need it. And there we were...running the clock down in the 4th while down by 2 scores. It didn't really hurt us because of that fumble but it was terminally stupid and vintage Pete.

    Pete is old. Over. But he will make you look good in the regular season. As a playoff coach though, he only won because of Lynch and the LOB. And without them, he still liked to coach like he had them. So we just lost every meaningful playoff game since. (But for wildcard wins against hapless wildcard teams)

    Not sure there is an upside. This is the old Atlanta Hawks of the NFL. Fun regular season, pushover in the playoffs.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4807
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • I just don't understand how some on this board can continue to be rosy and expect honey and harps year in and year out. But hey, I guess they're cool with mediocrity every year. As long as Pete is here, this team will always be mediocre, and that is a depressing reality.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1730
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Fade wrote:Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

    Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

    Rinse-repeat.

    The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

    But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

    It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

    McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

    The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

    If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.

    The QB play was putrid and all you got is PC is the issue ..Nah



    Why is it that every non-Seahawks fan I’m speaking to, is talking about how poor our O-line played. But people like yourself are so fixated on your hate for Russ you ignore it?

    Russ didn’t play great, but the O-line was getting ABUSED on one yard runs. ONE YARD. Seriously.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1545
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • This is not mediocre, the mid 90's to mid 00's were mediocre.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 901
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Wilson had a bad game.

    Unfortunately, Pete is always a net negative on gameday.

    There was no way to overcome that.

    Wilson is more a guy that wins the regular season. Never really great in the playoffs but for when we had the LOB and Lynch. As I pointed out before, closer to Dominique Wilkens than Michael Jordan.

    But Pete has never been effective in the playoffs without the LOB. As soon as they left, he never won a divisional playoff game. Several of the LOB members did, however, somewhere else.

    This game was both Pete and Wilson's fault. But Pete is never an asset in a playoff game. So you knew we would be down 2 scores at halftime, and you knew we wouldn't even start trying to get back in the game until the 4th quarter.

    What you didn't expect, none of us did, is that a fumble and a few crappy decisions would put us further down in the 4th. There was no clawing back because of the fumble. But leaving the game to try to claw back in the 4th just sets you up if the ball bounces the wrong way.

    We played a team without an effective QB, without their best pass rusher, and we still lost. Because we stubbornly clung to Pete's stupid game plan. And Pete ALWAYS comes in with stupid game plans. ALWAYS. Sometimes his players just overcome it.

    The entire love affair with toxic differential and running the clock down means we cannot adjust to normal football when we need it. And there we were...running the clock down in the 4th while down by 2 scores. It didn't really hurt us because of that fumble but it was terminally stupid and vintage Pete.

    Pete is old. Over. But he will make you look good in the regular season. As a playoff coach though, he only won because of Lynch and the LOB. And without them, he still liked to coach like he had them. So we just lost every meaningful playoff game since. (But for wildcard wins against hapless wildcard teams)

    Not sure there is an upside. This is the old Atlanta Hawks of the NFL. Fun regular season, pushover in the playoffs.



    Wilson did have a bad game. The O-line and Schotty had a worse one.

    We were getting stuffed repeatedly on basic runs. We were getting several holds and false starts. That’s an O-line issue
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1545
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • Pete isn't a great gameday coach, but this loss is mostly on:

    1) Shotty
    2) Russ
    3) Oline / penalties

    Sure defense gave up yards on the ground, but they were on the field on ALL day. Constant three-and outs by the offense. I don't put this one on D at all.

    Also, Mcvay is a good coach, sure. But he used Pete's formula - Run the ball, and play good defense. Go figure.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1733
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


  • He is just a sloppy coach, that is the long and short of it. Unless he does some self-reflection to realize he needs to step far away from Xs and Os. Just be the team motivator and CEO. Bill Walsh stepped away from play-calling, Bill Parcells stepped away from the defense and both of them found pretty damn good coaches to run winning systems.

    Pete was sloppy during his hey-day too. The 2013 Seahawks should have been 15-1. Yet they found a way to lose to Arizona at home after forcing 4 interceptions. 'The Tip' only happened because they could not score with a 1st and goal at the 3-yard line. They had their punt coverage WR as the main target on a play to win the Super Bowl. He kept the worst Oline coach in organized football on the team as the NFL changed every rule to make his blocking scheme illegal. He wastes timeouts and then he wastes timeouts with dumb challenges.

    He is sloppy as hell and this team will always win around 10-12 games a year. Andy Ried won 10-12 games a year got fired and the Eagles have had 3 10 win seasons since 2012. At his worst with one of the worst running games in NFL history, Pete still found a way for his team to win 9 games.

    Pete is sloppy, Russ is now sloppy too and you know what the 2021 Seahawks will be 11-5 hosting a playoff game.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2849
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Wilson had a bad game.

    Unfortunately, Pete is always a net negative on gameday.

    There was no way to overcome that.

    Wilson is more a guy that wins the regular season. Never really great in the playoffs but for when we had the LOB and Lynch. As I pointed out before, closer to Dominique Wilkens than Michael Jordan.

    But Pete has never been effective in the playoffs without the LOB. As soon as they left, he never won a divisional playoff game. Several of the LOB members did, however, somewhere else.

    This game was both Pete and Wilson's fault. But Pete is never an asset in a playoff game. So you knew we would be down 2 scores at halftime, and you knew we wouldn't even start trying to get back in the game until the 4th quarter.

    What you didn't expect, none of us did, is that a fumble and a few crappy decisions would put us further down in the 4th. There was no clawing back because of the fumble. But leaving the game to try to claw back in the 4th just sets you up if the ball bounces the wrong way.

    We played a team without an effective QB, without their best pass rusher, and we still lost. Because we stubbornly clung to Pete's stupid game plan. And Pete ALWAYS comes in with stupid game plans. ALWAYS. Sometimes his players just overcome it.

    The entire love affair with toxic differential and running the clock down means we cannot adjust to normal football when we need it. And there we were...running the clock down in the 4th while down by 2 scores. It didn't really hurt us because of that fumble but it was terminally stupid and vintage Pete.

    Pete is old. Over. But he will make you look good in the regular season. As a playoff coach though, he only won because of Lynch and the LOB. And without them, he still liked to coach like he had them. So we just lost every meaningful playoff game since. (But for wildcard wins against hapless wildcard teams)

    Not sure there is an upside. This is the old Atlanta Hawks of the NFL. Fun regular season, pushover in the playoffs.


    Yay'er
    Elemas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 701
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • yup.

    Great post Fade
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6108
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


  • This was definitely a Pete game plan and vs a dominant ram DL and a question Mark at QB for them it made sense to start by limiting risk.

    Unfortunately that type of game plan won’t survive losing the turnover battle (indeed it’s designed to limit your own offense as a trade off to limiting turnovers) so it started taking on water with the pick six which looked to be some pretty crap execute in what should have been a safe, quick screen the likes of which many called for until we derped it.

    That game plan also can’t survive your run D disappearing for the first half (unforgivable given how limited the ram passing was) and your defense giving up the big play. You can’t say you scheme failed when Adams is right there to get the INt or a bat down and just falls on his ass because he can’t play the ball in the air. You can’t hide him from covering all game long.

    After reeds big return he was itching to do something risky all game and finally did it late with a fumble being cute.

    When the execution destroyed the initial game plan we didn’t have any further answers to the Ram defense in our bag, and with Wilson throwing multiple near picks on quick routes over the middle in the second half IDK what we could have called besides sideline and deep routes. You can’t live on the former, and we lacked the protection for the latter.

    IF we’d have eliminated turnovers or IF our OL could stop being crushed for a while or IF Wilson could have executed over the middle. Alas none of that happened. Those IFs are what I’d add to any discussion about game plan.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 9837
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 pm


  • Since 2015, the only Seahawk playoff wins:

    Vikings-Thanks to Blair Walsh missed FG
    Lions
    Eagles-Josh McCown was their QB
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1729
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:58 am


  • knownone wrote:McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.



    Wrong our wr failed to make his block which is why the int happened
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4034
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • John63 wrote:
    knownone wrote:McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.



    Wrong our wr failed to make his block which is why the int happened


    Yup. And were just going to forget about the fumble too so we can blame russ for losing a team game.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 746
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am


  • hawk45 wrote:This was definitely a Pete game plan and vs a dominant ram DL and a question Mark at QB for them it made sense to start by limiting risk.

    Unfortunately that type of game plan won’t survive losing the turnover battle (indeed it’s designed to limit your own offense as a trade off to limiting turnovers) so it started taking on water with the pick six which looked to be some pretty crap execute in what should have been a safe, quick screen the likes of which many called for until we derped it.

    That game plan also can’t survive your run D disappearing for the first half (unforgivable given how limited the ram passing was) and your defense giving up the big play. You can’t say you scheme failed when Adams is right there to get the INt or a bat down and just falls on his ass because he can’t play the ball in the air. You can’t hide him from covering all game long.

    After reeds big return he was itching to do something risky all game and finally did it late with a fumble being cute.

    When the execution destroyed the initial game plan we didn’t have any further answers to the Ram defense in our bag, and with Wilson throwing multiple near picks on quick routes over the middle in the second half IDK what we could have called besides sideline and deep routes. You can’t live on the former, and we lacked the protection for the latter.

    IF we’d have eliminated turnovers or IF our OL could stop being crushed for a while or IF Wilson could have executed over the middle. Alas none of that happened. Those IFs are what I’d add to any discussion about game plan.


    The other thing was the penalties, starting out 1st-25? 1st and 15.... those are hard situations against this Rams D...I just thought when they could see that they were not going to be able to protect Wilson against this D line they should have gone back to the run more consistently and tried to control the game tempo... They were running the ball effectively... really frustrating game...the O line got stomped by a really well coached talented Rams D...

    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


  • pittpnthrs wrote:QB play was bad because he runs for his life most of the game. This ones on Pete.


    RW makes too much money and it hurts the rest of the team.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1900
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • pittpnthrs wrote:QB play was bad because he runs for his life most of the game. This ones on Pete.


    RW makes too much money and it hurts the rest of the team.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1900
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • jamescasey1124 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    knownone wrote:McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.



    Wrong our wr failed to make his block which is why the int happened


    Yup. And were just going to forget about the fumble too so we can blame russ for losing a team game.


    When you take up like half the team's salary cap, you put yourself in position for more than 1/53rd of the blame.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6392
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Fade - excellent points, and I agree with all of them. It's also getting more and more frustrating year after year to watch it, but also to watch half our own fan base excuse it away and ignore what their eyes see - which is also that Russell has not been himself for basically two months. This ass-kicking (and that's what it was) is something plenty of people around here saw as having a high likelihood of happening today...but no, those of us who are realistic and not just eternal optimists about it, get denounced as haters in some form.

    pittpnthrs wrote:QB play was bad because he runs for his life most of the game. This ones on Pete.

    Yep...we make life so much harder on our own offense due to ineptitude, predictability, and very basic scheming.

    knownone wrote:McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.

    Sorry, but you are wrong and clearly don't understand a number of finer points of football. Freddie Swain was supposed to block, or at least chip, the defender coming at him and instead didn't do CRAP and let him just burst right by him to intercept the ball. That interception was not on Russell.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 32118
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • Sorry, Pete.

    It's time to take the keys away from grampa.

    We had some good rides. But now, it's just...tense. And you took the wrong exit again.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 242
    Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm


  • Fade wrote:Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

    Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

    Rinse-repeat.

    The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

    But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

    It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

    McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

    The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

    If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.


    Stop... I've heard this before.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3688
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • It takes a special kind of delusion to think that INT was Wilson's fault.

    The throw was perfect.

    The Problem is the Rams could see it coming a mile away and jumped it. (Playcaller.)

    The WR, Swain lazily pursued his block (Blocker.)

    DK should comeback to the ball, not stand flatfooted (Receiver.)

    It's a screen play. Their is no reading the defense post snap. You get it in your hands and chuck it as fast as you can, trusting the players will execute. They didn't. BUT ironically it does personify the problem with the Seahawks offense for the final 10 games of the season, though. The wrong conclusion was drawn is all. TOO PREDICTABLE. You know you done F'd up as an offensive staff, when WR screens are getting picked off.

    ============== Further Thoughts: An add on to my OP if you will=================

    I don't know how anyone can not come away appalled at this offensive scheme, and gameplan. The Rams were squatting on all of their routes, looking to jump everything. It's like they knew the offense better than the Seahawks knew their own offense. Is that Wilson's fault? Or the coaches?

    The offensive line routinely blocked Aaron Donald 1v1, and Aaron Donald was continually in the backfield like a hot knife through butter, wrecking the game with immediate pressure. Is that Wilson's fault? Or the coaches?

    If know If I was coaching against Donald, I would have 2 blockers assigned to him on pass plays. And I would try and roll my QB away from him as much as I could.

    How many rollouts were called? How many times did they move the pocket to give a different launch point to keep the rushers guessing where Wilson would be? There are things you can call to help mitigate an O-Line that is getting beat consistently. How much uptempo did they run to help keep the Rams coverages more simplified, and likely gas their D-Line out? (Not counting the end of the game, when you're playing against the clock.)

    Wilson played bad, sure, but the coaching was far worse?

    And that is what is way, way, more concerning.

    Same approach, Same coaches, Same results. Early playoff exit.

    What I am thinking about right now is what if JS and RW both leave in the not too distant future? RW was carrying a dumpster fire a couple of seasons ago, they've actually rebuilt fairly well since then, personnel wise. They have a very talented roster, but it is poorly optimized to say the least including Wilson.

    Wilson should be in a rollout, widezone, west coast offense. Shanny/McVay/LaFluer/Stefanski. That is what would best fit his skill set. The other offense that would fit him would be a spread it out, uptempo K-gun with Wilson calling his own plays, which is pretty much what they do when they go uptempo. But Pete hates it, because it hurts his defense. When in reality it just exposes his defense. So the offense is there to serve the defense. Snap the ball with 1 Sec on the playclock, don't turn it over, wait them out. Depressing, and the players look apathetic because of it. Hell, a good chunk of the fanbase is starting to become apathetic when I think about it. That's how bad it is.

    For those that want to trade Wilson. I don't think you fully realize how bad they will be if they did so. Not many QBs in this league can make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Poo all while doing it in a remedial, predictable offense, with zero margin for error.

    They have a bottom 5 staff in place when it comes to QB Development and Friendliness. They would need a ready made solution that no team would ever trade away. So a massive downgrade at QB isn't going to make things better, but way worse. Like worst team in the division worse. That new QB whoever it was, would be placed in the same restrictive box. Pete would then be fired shortly after. As NFL teams don't keep around 70+ year old coaches with losing seasons.

    If Schneider leaves that would be a serious punch to the gut. He has an incredible hit rate in the later rounds, and that is invaluable in a salary cap league. At the same time I would like to see these guys away from Pete Carroll's deathgrip and see what they can do at their full potential, merely as a curiosity. But I don't want that to happen ultimately.

    aMaZiNg CoAcHiNg:
    Last edited by Fade on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3037
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • DK's awareness rating is a solid 0. That guy has a lot of talent and some gaping weaknesses. He's a fantastic piece to stretch out the defense and his size is a problem for any average CB.

    You nailed it with the rollouts. How do we have RW as QB, who's incredible in space... who defenses have to respect his running ability and his ability to find the receiver when coverage breaks down, and we're forcing him to sit in a quickly closing pocket?

    No doubt Wilson had a bad game. He has been bad for weeks, but our gameplan is a huge part of it.

    We're playing against an injured QB. We're likely going to get the ball back a lot, let's push. Let's try things. We don't have to play a fn field position game.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7213
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm



  • Hard to be upset, when you can see it coming a mile away.




    pEte CaRrOlL iS a GrEaT cOaCH!


    Predictable. Keyword.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3037
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • Fade wrote:It takes a special kind of delusion to think that INT was Wilson's fault.

    The throw was perfect.

    The Problem is the Rams could see it coming a mile away and jumped it. (Playcaller.)

    The WR, Swain lazily pursued his block (Blocker.)

    DK should comeback to the ball, not stand flatfooted (Receiver.)

    It's a screen play. Their is no reading the defense post snap. You get it in your hands and chuck it as fast as you can, trusting the players will execute. They didn't. BUT ironically it does personify the problem with the Seahawks offense for the final 10 games of the season, though. The wrong conclusion was drawn is all. TOO PREDICTABLE. You know you done F'd up as an offensive staff, when WR screens are getting picked off.

    ============== Further Thoughts: An add on to my OP if you will=================

    I don't know how anyone can not come away appalled at this offensive scheme, and gameplan. The Rams were squatting on all of their routes, looking to jump everything. It's like they knew the offense better than the Seahawks knew their own offense. Is that Wilson's fault? Or the coaches?

    The offensive line routinely blocked Aaron Donald 1v1, and Aaron Donald was continually in the backfield like a hot knife through butter, wrecking the game with immediate pressure. Is that Wilson's fault? Or the coaches?

    If know If I was coaching against Donald, I would have 2 blockers assigned to him on pass plays. And I would try and roll my QB away from him as much as I could.

    How many rollouts were called? How many times did they move the pocket to give a different launch point to keep the rushers guessing where Wilson would be? There are things you can call to help mitigate an O-Line that is getting beat consistently. How much uptempo did they run to help keep the Rams coverages more simplified, and likely gas their D-Line out? (Not counting the end of the game, when you're playing against the clock.)

    Wilson played bad, sure, but the coaching was far worse?

    And that is what is way, way, more concerning.

    Same approach, Same coaches, Same results. Early playoff exit.

    What I am thinking about right now is what if JS and RW both leave in the not too distant future? RW was carrying a dumpster fire a couple of seasons ago, they've actually rebuilt fairly well since then, personnel wise. They have a very talented roster, but it is poorly optimized to say the least including Wilson.

    Wilson should be in a rollout, widezone, west coast offense. Shanny/McVay/LaFluer/Stefanski. That is what would best fit his skill set. The other offense that would fit him would be a spread it out, uptempo K-gun with Wilson calling his own plays, which is pretty much what they do when they go uptempo. But Pete hates it, because it hurts his defense. When in reality it just exposes his defense. So the offense is there to serve the defense. Snap the ball with 1 Sec on the playclock, don't turn it over, wait them out. Depressing, and the players look apathetic because of it. Hell, a good chunk of the fanbase is starting to become apathetic when I think about it. That's how bad it is.

    For those that want to trade Wilson. I don't think you fully realize how bad they will be if they did so. Not many QBs in this league can make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Poo all while doing it in a remedial, predictable offense, with zero margin for error.

    They have a bottom 5 staff in place when it comes to QB Development and Friendliness. They would need a ready made solution that no team would ever trade away. So a massive downgrade at QB isn't going to make things better, but way worse. Like worst team in the division worse. That new QB whoever it was, would be placed in the same restrictive box. Pete would then be fired shortly after. As NFL teams don't keep around 70+ year old coaches with losing seasons.

    If Schneider leaves that would be a serious punch to the gut. He has an incredible hit rate in the later rounds, and that is invaluable in a salary cap league. At the same time I would like to see these guys away from Pete Carroll's deathgrip and see what they can do at their full potential, merely as a curiosity. But I don't want that to happen ultimately.

    aMaZiNg CoAcHiNg:


    AD is destroying everybody not just the Hawks... Russ Has been sacked if not the most in the NFL close to it... they could not roll out Russ because LF was lining up wide and every time they tried in the past he shut it down... what they should have done is run the ball straight at the rams D and took control of the tempo they were running the ball effectively and they got a way from it because they thought they had an opportunity cause AD was hurt ... that was a mistake.... They need to put some draft capital in the o line they have not been drafting well at OL with the exception of the guard they picked up Lewis... they can not allow teams like the Rams to get to Wilson rushing 4 and dropping everybody else in to coverage and then NOT run the ball... That's my problem with Schotty


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


  • The Seahawks coaching issues stem far beyond running vs passing, which is such a dumbed down way of looking at things.

    What kind of runs? What kind of passes? When you telegraph everything thing you do with little variance, it is going to be tough sledding regardless.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3037
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • It really is weird, and probably a function of Pete's ego, that he seems obvious to the importance of not letting the opposing team know what you want to do.

    As a defensive coach, he has to know just how offenses are geared to hide their intention from the defense.

    He has to know just how much easier it is to defend a play when you know what the offense is forced to do.

    And yet he seems to have no problem with his own teams being incredibly predictable and regularly telegraphing their intentions before the snap.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4807
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • Fade wrote:The Seahawks coaching issues stem far beyond running vs passing, which is such a dumbed down way of looking at things.

    What kind of runs? What kind of passes? When you telegraph everything thing you do with little variance, it is going to be tough sledding regardless.


    Im not going to disagree that certain play calls like the screen were predictable being they ran that play against the Rams several times and the Rams secondary did their homework... it was a great play by the rams DB no question but it was also a missed play by F. Swain if he does his job thats not an INT...... I do think that from my limited understanding of how the game was played from a technical standpoint that the loss was multifaceted in several different areas but I definitely think schotty, Carroll and Russ have responsibility to bare...


    I'm not going to at this point try to be specific on what passes and what runs because I don't think any of us understand what was going on in Schotty's mind... why he called the plays he did, what the communication was between Russ and Schotty... what the communication was between Schotty and Carroll... pretending you have the answer to that stuff without taking this into consideration is naive...from our perspective as fans we should speak with in general terms unless you or I or anybody has something to back it all up ... it's all opinion based stuff and that's ok...I could give you examples but it would only be speculation on my part...


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm




It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online