Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before...

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

Rinse-repeat.

The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
A few of us have been saying this for half a decade. This is the pinnacle of Seahawks football now. Early exits and embarrassing performances in the playoffs

knownone

Reaction score
McVay didn't outcoach Pete. Our QB made a game changing mistake, and their defense is better than ours.

Rat

Reaction score
Where is everyone to tell us that we shouldn't care about the slow starts because of our record? I thought that was supposed to be sustainable. :roll:

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Also:

Pete's war of attrition style means that the D scored exactly zero points off of turnovers this year.

And no, safeties don't count.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":3nb6rqgy said:
Pete Carroll's Seahawks come out flat and get down double digits in the first half of a playoff game and face plant.

Then talk about how optimistic things look for next season in the post-game interview.

Rinse-repeat.

The defense still isn't very good, even though they have the talent. Both the offense and defense are worse than the sum of there parts due to being simplistic and predictable to ever be more than what they are.

But Pete, and a good chunk of the fanbase are content with these results so the same mistakes and issues continue to happen year after year.

It's not about wins and losses. It's about the process. I know if I was in charge of the operation, and kept coming up short for the same reason, I would look to fix it. But improving how you go about things is frowned upon. Just keep doing what your doing.

McVay outclassed Carroll once again. And the biggest reason was he fired his underperforming DC and vaulted his defense to #1, with relatively the same personell. Pete could learn a thing or two from McVay.

The Seahawks are ridiculously predictable on offense. The Rams were squatting on nearly all of there routes, and I don't know how Pete and his staff can look at what they're doing on that side of the ball and be cool with it.

If I had a $1 for every time Russ threw the ball to a tightly covered WR, a defender aggressively broke on a ball, snapped the ball in under 2 seconds, or they failed to convert on 3rd and short. I'd be a millionaire. Pete Carroll is the master of shutting down his own offense.
The QB play was putrid and all you got is PC is the issue ..Nah

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
QB play was bad because he runs for his life most of the game. This ones on Pete.

beerm3

Reaction score
i mean we can call schotty and the online and ask wtf was that... but you know maybe the rams D played lights out today.. but still... cmon russ/schotty run it up the gut with CC with no blockers! go hawks =\

the rams out filmed us period cept the scramble pass to dk.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson had a bad game.

Unfortunately, Pete is always a net negative on gameday.

There was no way to overcome that.

Wilson is more a guy that wins the regular season. Never really great in the playoffs but for when we had the LOB and Lynch. As I pointed out before, closer to Dominique Wilkens than Michael Jordan.

But Pete has never been effective in the playoffs without the LOB. As soon as they left, he never won a divisional playoff game. Several of the LOB members did, however, somewhere else.

This game was both Pete and Wilson's fault. But Pete is never an asset in a playoff game. So you knew we would be down 2 scores at halftime, and you knew we wouldn't even start trying to get back in the game until the 4th quarter.

What you didn't expect, none of us did, is that a fumble and a few crappy decisions would put us further down in the 4th. There was no clawing back because of the fumble. But leaving the game to try to claw back in the 4th just sets you up if the ball bounces the wrong way.

We played a team without an effective QB, without their best pass rusher, and we still lost. Because we stubbornly clung to Pete's stupid game plan. And Pete ALWAYS comes in with stupid game plans. ALWAYS. Sometimes his players just overcome it.

The entire love affair with toxic differential and running the clock down means we cannot adjust to normal football when we need it. And there we were...running the clock down in the 4th while down by 2 scores. It didn't really hurt us because of that fumble but it was terminally stupid and vintage Pete.

Pete is old. Over. But he will make you look good in the regular season. As a playoff coach though, he only won because of Lynch and the LOB. And without them, he still liked to coach like he had them. So we just lost every meaningful playoff game since. (But for wildcard wins against hapless wildcard teams)

Not sure there is an upside. This is the old Atlanta Hawks of the NFL. Fun regular season, pushover in the playoffs.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I just don't understand how some on this board can continue to be rosy and expect honey and harps year in and year out. But hey, I guess they're cool with mediocrity every year. As long as Pete is here, this team will always be mediocre, and that is a depressing reality.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1ur0kg1y said:
Fade":1ur0kg1y said:

Rinse-repeat.

The QB play was putrid and all you got is PC is the issue ..Nah

Why is it that every non-Seahawks fan I’m speaking to, is talking about how poor our O-line played. But people like yourself are so fixated on your hate for Russ you ignore it?

Russ didn’t play great, but the O-line was getting ABUSED on one yard runs. ONE YARD. Seriously.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":6u9hyyzo said:
Wilson had a bad game.

Wilson is more a guy that wins the regular season. Never really great in the playoffs but for when we had the LOB and Lynch. As I pointed out before, closer to Dominique Wilkens than Michael Jordan.

But Pete has never been effective in the playoffs without the LOB. As soon as they left, he never won a divisional playoff game. Several of the LOB members did, however, somewhere else.

This game was both Pete and Wilson's fault. But Pete is never an asset in a playoff game. So you knew we would be down 2 scores at halftime, and you knew we wouldn't even start trying to get back in the game until the 4th quarter.

What you didn't expect, none of us did, is that a fumble and a few crappy decisions would put us further down in the 4th. There was no clawing back because of the fumble. But leaving the game to try to claw back in the 4th just sets you up if the ball bounces the wrong way.

We played a team without an effective QB, without their best pass rusher, and we still lost. Because we stubbornly clung to Pete's stupid game plan. And Pete ALWAYS comes in with stupid game plans. ALWAYS. Sometimes his players just overcome it.

The entire love affair with toxic differential and running the clock down means we cannot adjust to normal football when we need it. And there we were...running the clock down in the 4th while down by 2 scores. It didn't really hurt us because of that fumble but it was terminally stupid and vintage Pete.

Pete is old. Over. But he will make you look good in the regular season. As a playoff coach though, he only won because of Lynch and the LOB. And without them, he still liked to coach like he had them. So we just lost every meaningful playoff game since. (But for wildcard wins against hapless wildcard teams)

Not sure there is an upside. This is the old Atlanta Hawks of the NFL. Fun regular season, pushover in the playoffs.

Wilson did have a bad game. The O-line and Schotty had a worse one.

We were getting stuffed repeatedly on basic runs. We were getting several holds and false starts. That’s an O-line issue

hoxrox

Reaction score
Pete isn't a great gameday coach, but this loss is mostly on:

1) Shotty
2) Russ
3) Oline / penalties

Sure defense gave up yards on the ground, but they were on the field on ALL day. Constant three-and outs by the offense. I don't put this one on D at all.

Also, Mcvay is a good coach, sure. But he used Pete's formula - Run the ball, and play good defense. Go figure.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is just a sloppy coach, that is the long and short of it. Unless he does some self-reflection to realize he needs to step far away from Xs and Os. Just be the team motivator and CEO. Bill Walsh stepped away from play-calling, Bill Parcells stepped away from the defense and both of them found pretty damn good coaches to run winning systems.

Pete was sloppy during his hey-day too. The 2013 Seahawks should have been 15-1. Yet they found a way to lose to Arizona at home after forcing 4 interceptions. 'The Tip' only happened because they could not score with a 1st and goal at the 3-yard line. They had their punt coverage WR as the main target on a play to win the Super Bowl. He kept the worst Oline coach in organized football on the team as the NFL changed every rule to make his blocking scheme illegal. He wastes timeouts and then he wastes timeouts with dumb challenges.

He is sloppy as hell and this team will always win around 10-12 games a year. Andy Ried won 10-12 games a year got fired and the Eagles have had 3 10 win seasons since 2012. At his worst with one of the worst running games in NFL history, Pete still found a way for his team to win 9 games.

Pete is sloppy, Russ is now sloppy too and you know what the 2021 Seahawks will be 11-5 hosting a playoff game.

Elemas

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":khkskqol said:
Wilson had a bad game.

Yay'er

hawk45

Reaction score
This was definitely a Pete game plan and vs a dominant ram DL and a question Mark at QB for them it made sense to start by limiting risk.

Unfortunately that type of game plan won’t survive losing the turnover battle (indeed it’s designed to limit your own offense as a trade off to limiting turnovers) so it started taking on water with the pick six which looked to be some pretty crap execute in what should have been a safe, quick screen the likes of which many called for until we derped it.

That game plan also can’t survive your run D disappearing for the first half (unforgivable given how limited the ram passing was) and your defense giving up the big play. You can’t say you scheme failed when Adams is right there to get the INt or a bat down and just falls on his ass because he can’t play the ball in the air. You can’t hide him from covering all game long.

After reeds big return he was itching to do something risky all game and finally did it late with a fumble being cute.

When the execution destroyed the initial game plan we didn’t have any further answers to the Ram defense in our bag, and with Wilson throwing multiple near picks on quick routes over the middle in the second half IDK what we could have called besides sideline and deep routes. You can’t live on the former, and we lacked the protection for the latter.

IF we’d have eliminated turnovers or IF our OL could stop being crushed for a while or IF Wilson could have executed over the middle. Alas none of that happened. Those IFs are what I’d add to any discussion about game plan.

massari

Reaction score
Since 2015, the only Seahawk playoff wins:

Vikings-Thanks to Blair Walsh missed FG
Lions
Eagles-Josh McCown was their QB